• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

Are you happy with exclusives this gen? (not including the Switch)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fredrik

It’s been terrible. Most severe case of buyers remorse I’ve experienced in 40 years, ”everything” comes to PC and then I double dip there which just makes things even worse. I’m currently at the point where I struggle to find a good reason to even have the consoles anymore. Trying to phase out the consoles as we speak, I’ll go with PC and Switch from now on, time will tell if that’s a good or bad idea, depends on port quality and the length of the delays I guess.

hinch7

Nope. No new Naughty Dog game, no new Rockstar game or GTA just yet. God of War Ragnarok was a big disapointment. Highlights so far as 'exclusives' go for me is FFXVI and thats pretty much it. Everything else has been crossgen, ports, remasters of remakes. And those aren't actually exclusive anymore having PC ports eventually.

Awful generation of consoles. Probably won't bother with PS6 if the PC ports are coming out faster.

Last edited:

10v12

Actual dog shit gen lmao

The only "exclusive" that is amazing (from a GAMEPLAY perspective) was Returnal (and now Helldivers 2). FFXVI could have been there but combat ended up being shallow.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s been terrible. Most severe case of buyers remorse I’ve experienced in 40 years, ”everything” comes to PC and then I double dip there which just makes things even worse. I’m currently at the point where I struggle to find a good reason to even have the consoles anymore. Trying to phase out the consoles as we speak, I’ll go with PC and Switch from now on, time will tell if that’s a good or bad idea, depends on port quality and the length of the delays I guess.
Totally agree, plus it seems like almost every big budget game nowadays eventually gets bug fixes, performance improvements, new QoL features, new content/DLC, etc.

Playing on day 1 pretty much means you paid the highest price to experience the worst version of the game. I now have a new form of FOMO, fear of finishing a game only for some sorely needed improvements to release. Improvements that are good enough to make me wish I waited but not good enough to justify another play through.

El Muerto

It's been pretty bad lately. Only ones i liked were Returnal, Hi-Fi Rush, and Starfield. I dont waste my time with remakes, reboots, or Marvel games. Covid set everything back with the lockdowns and mass firings. Studios had to hire more devs to finish games. Seeing how all that was 4 years ago we should start seeing some bangers real soon.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When it comes to Sony’s own first party games I completely lost interest, last year and this year most of the games I’m in to comes from third party.

the only reason I still I keep my PS5 around because some their of third party exclusives.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
For the most part. Out of the ones that interested me on PS5, I did enjoy my time with them.

However, like anyone else, I would like to see a more consistent output from PlayStation Studios for the remainder of this console gen.
I do miss having more output from their Japanese devs in particular.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Sony’s output lost me 2 gens ago if I’m really thinking about it.
I would have to Wikipedia PS4 gen / PS5 gen games list to remember what they actually released.
Ghosts of Tsushima was my personal GotY
I still bought/buy a PS Console, out of habit maybe. Or hope.

I’m glad Kojima is back though.

Sony’s output lost me 2 gens ago if I’m really thinking about it.
I would have to Wikipedia PS4 gen / PS5 gen games list to remember what they actually released.
Ghosts of Tsushima was my personal GotY
I still bought/buy a PS Console, out of habit maybe. Or hope.

I’m glad Kojima is back though.
Yep, GoT was the last PS exclusive I really enjoyed. Hope Stellar Blade lives up to the hype.

ShadowLag

I haven't enjoyed a Sony exclusive since the PS3, and I haven't enjoyed an XBox exclusive since the... XBox (although I'll give Killer Instinct 2013 the nod). So, no.

Last edited:

Crayon

Maybe better to say of the best games I've played in PS5 since it came out, 3 or 4 were exclusive so that's pretty good.

Trilobit

I'll put it like this: If this gen continues like it has, then there is zero chances that I'll buy the next gen console. Considering how long the development times are nowadays it'll only make sense to buy every other console. Nintendo being the exception of course.

I have Flight Sim, two Spiderman games and two Forzas.

I'm good. Still, 2017/Year 5 is when the PS4 started really kicking off that gen, and I'm not sure that'll happen this year for this gen for me.

skit_data

Can't speak for Xbox but they're definitely better overall on the Playstation side. Nothing has really reached the heights of Bloodborne yet but the overall output are more games and of a generally much higher quality.

Zarak

Neo Member
No it is by far the weakest gen when it comes to exclusives. MS has almost nothing of value, Forza horizon 5 and hi fi rush both solid and then a pile of dogshit. PS has more good games like GT7, Spiderman 2, etc but not much there either compared to previous generations.

Fredrik

Totally agree, plus it seems like almost every big budget game nowadays eventually gets bug fixes, performance improvements, new QoL features, new content/DLC, etc.

Playing on day 1 pretty much means you paid the highest price to experience the worst version of the game. I now have a new form of FOMO, fear of finishing a game only for some sorely needed improvements to release. Improvements that are good enough to make me wish I waited but not good enough to justify another play through.
Your second paragraph is so spot on it deserves it’s own thread.

Day 1 mostly sucks today. Only reason to do it is to not have a story spoiled or if you’ve waited a decade and waiting more just isn’t an option.

I’ve waited on FFXVI and Spider-Man 2. It was awful to sit at the sides at first when so many talked about them, especially SM2, but many finished them in like a week or two and then it was okay. Today when the FOMO is less severe I feel like I’m doing the right thing, both games will likely get some extra features on PC.

nial

Gold Member
2023 was bad for Sony, but this year is a massive improvement with Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade all for the first half. I have a lot of problems with their output, but overall it's been consistent so far.
On a side note, Switch's first-party catalog still doesn't do it for me, especially now that its 2024 is looking so bleak.

This generation is a disaster. Probably covid and WFH related. When you combine those things with skyrocketing cost of game development, they just have a large number of exclusives anymore on any platform. That includes Nintendo going forward.

The way gaming is headed feels highly unstable now and not sustainable. We Will see what happens.

Last edited:
Yes! Had my ps5 since launch and then copped a steam deck. PS5 exclusives alone I’m already backlogged and having a heck of a time. Then there’s gamepass and the indies I play on my deck. I’m hoping I can put a dent in this backlog before more gems drop. I have a switch and that’s the icing on top.

Dis

Fuck yes we’re getting unicorn dream

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

Pfff and its OPEN world. Ahhhhhhh 12 days.
I love videogames

Audiophile

Gold Member
Bought a PS5 in May '21, played a few big games over the course of a year then it basically became a MW'19 + PS4 Backlog box before I started to suffer from a case of Netflixitis with it (where you start it up, browse around looking for something to do on it then just switch off). Sold it last year and just waiting for the Pro, plus either Death Stranding 2 or GTAVI to release. Looking like I've got another 13-21mths of waiting before I even bother.

Great hardware, terrible gen of software. Ratchet And Clank Rift Apart and Forbidden West were solid showcases but since those I just found myself wondering why I bothered. I borrowed my brother's PS5 to play Burning Shores and then he said don't bother giving it back, that he's bored with it and asked me to drop it on eBay for him. I built him a nice PC in the end; he's been burned and I honestly don't think he's coming back to PlayStation consoles again (and he has zero interest in Xbox, Ninty, Steamdeck, mobile or cloud.

When PS6 comes along I wanna see 2-3 absolutely balls-to-the-wall showcases for some revolutionary new experiences otherwise I'll probably just wait a few years. I never would have imagined myself thinking this way in the past, I usually want the new tech asap. Honestly, I've got living to do at this point and I can take it or leave it until the truly next-gen experiences show up on the next go-round.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

As a player, I don't really understand what difference it makes to me whether the game I'm playing is exclusive or not?
war transformers GIF

December 2024 : ps5 pro + New 75" mini-led TV for me, coming from a PS4 pro. It's gonna be glorious with that backlog, even if meager according to some.

Isa

No, one of the worst gens I can recall. It feels crazy that we’re at the halfway point and it’s still a desert.
Seriously! It bothers me the talk of the gen generation of systems because I feel like they've barely even touched the current gens yet, much less really refine the games on them like prior gens. I kind of hope for a longer gen just to feel like I got my moneys worth.

I've enjoyed a few "exclusives" here and there but not much, and few I've actually felt compelled to finish. Partial culpability is my own tastes clashing with western game design, namely art style(or lack thereof) and a complete lack of ambition. I mean that as derisively as possible. For me the past few years and this one have been carried by indies and Asian games.

I too feel the urge to ditch the big 2 consoles and just go PC and next Switcheroo or whatever Ninty will call it.

bender

What time is it?
I'd categorize them as fine but rather sparse.

PS5: Astro, DeSo, GT7 (even if cross-gen) and I'll be charitable and include Returnal which I think has fundamental flaws but am impressed it is coming from Sony.
Series: FH5, Flight Sim, Hi-Fi Rush

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The fact that one of the main games people keep bringing up is a remaster of PS3 game from 2009 says everything about this generation.

Neither playstation nor xbox have released anything of great quality in almost ten years this generation is a big joke I just bought a Series S for emulation/old games because my falcon xbox 360 was dying

If I bought a PS5 and Series X i'd feel like I got scammed.....8K on the box for nothing....12tlops for nothing

I was disappointed with the PS4 and sold it. PS5 isn't even worth looking at the last time I was content with the state of exclusives on playstation was 2012/2013 and maybe 2011/2010 for XBOX

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Compared to say 360/PS3 gen? Lmfao absolutely not lol.

360/PS3 got 4 Halos, 4 Gears of war, 3 Resistance, 3 uncharted etc

It's not even comparable

Papa_Wisdom

lol, no

Exclusives are what usually push the hardware they're on. Exclusives are what give a console a different flavor or personality

It has nothing to do with console wars.
i can’t say I’ve seen much since the ps3/360 generation that your comment relates to.

After this past week or so it always was and always will be about fanboys console warring.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I'm very happy with the fact that there's very few exclusives these days (not counting Nintendo).
The ones I've needed a console for is Demon Souls remake and Returnal.
Returnal is probably my favourite "next gen" game, but it's no longer exclusive.
"Exclusive games" is so stupid.

xrnzaaas

Nope. I couldn't name a single game that would be a system seller in my book. This is especially sad for PlayStation... last gen Sony created Tsushima, Days Gone and Horizon IP's, revived God of War and started off with "new" Spiderman. This gen it's almost entirely super safe sequels and remasters/remakes no one asked for.

1st/2nd party exclusives? I've enjoyed immensely Returnal (still remains the game of the generation for me) from current-gen consoles. And then I also had lots of fun playing Astro Bot, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Forza Horizon 5, HiFi Rush and Horizon Forbidden West. On the other hand, Spider-Man 2, GoW: Ragnarok, and Halo Infinite did not live up to the hype for me.

dorkimoe

its been sparse, this entire gen has been remaster/remake. Thats the future of games now. That being said, I dont care about exclusives, i just want fun games

Top Bottom