• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arguably, has any Xbox console come out of the gate "guns blazing"?

OutRun88

There are the occasional launch gems, but looking back at all console releases I think it’s mostly a combination of the hype at the time and nostalgia looking back that makes the early adoption better than it is and was.

Greeno

The OG Xbox had Halo as the saving grace, but even that was a slow burn (it wasn't until Halo 2 and XBL that it really became a pop icon). Xbox 360 had Call of Duty and Kameo. Gears came out a year later, and Oblivion and Mass Effect were a year after that. Xbox One did not have a good first few years, let's leave it at that.

This isn't to dissuade or discourage anyone who wants an Xbox at launch, nor is it to handwave bad feelings toward the brand. It just seems like too many people bought into Microsoft's highly-paid PR spokespersons instead of tempering their own expectations.
I actually disagree, the Xbox One had a great launch lineup.

I'd like to remind people what Xbox One released with.

On launch:
* Dead Rising 3
* Ryse
* Killer Instinct
* Forza Motorsport 5

In 2014:
* Titanfall
* Sunset Overdrive
* MC collection
* Forza Horizon 2
* Project Spark

2015 and above (Phil Spencer era):
cancellations of Don Mattrick era exclusives. Things like Phantom Dust, Scalebound, and Fable Legends were all cancelled.

I truly believe that if Xbox One was revealed with different policies and different pricing (no DRM stuff, no mandatory Kinect stuff, etc), they would easily match or even exceed the PS4 sales in the end.

Genx3

360 possibly had the best launch line up of any console.
Only other console launch on par was DC.

Top Bottom