• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

704811_306171_thumb.jpg

???? Wussdiss????

Its supposed to be what 4Answer was to AC 4, a semi-sequal with an all new story with extra parts, weapons and balance tweaks..

Armored Core Verdict Day - PS3/X360 - No future for mercs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2G2f34CL1w

AC5 was not well received by AC hardcore fans, some hated the story others hated the online focus, those that liked that didn't get enough updates or players to play with or against to stay with it.. most hated that the Cores (mechs) were smaller, yet less nimble and that enemies were more of a threat, with light elemental weaknesses making zipping in and one shotting everything impossible without expert tuning and planning..

I actually loved V and I'd beaten 4 answer and enjoyed that too, but I loved V's heavy mech feel, and how every battle was life or death, especially the core versus core battles.. I played online helping players tackle double core arena fights and helped clans as a mercenary and had a good bit of fun..

Verdict day is introducing the ability to create a squad of Ai controlled cores to take into battle in the campaign missions or online, once I heard that and the 90 all new missions, I was sold..

when I found out you could tweak the ai to an absurd degree and play it like an rts sending an ALL Ai team of 4 out to sortie and changing routines on the fly, I pre-ordered and paid in full.

Short Version..Am I the only one looking forward to this game?
Eurogamer 8/10
As it stands, however, Verdict Day is more than just a marked improvement over Armored Core 5. It offers more parts, more maps and new missions while expanding the already tight mechanics with an AI crafting system and an overhauled online mode that encapsulate what Armored Core does best: options, creativity, strategy and teamwork. It's unashamedly hardcore - and all the better for it.

Official Xbox Magazine 7.5/10
Ultimately, you either think giant stompy robots are rad or you don’t; if they’re your thing, and you don’t mind its split single-/multiplayer nature, Armored Core: Verdict Day provides an enjoyable stage on which to both rock and sock ‘em.

Metro 6/10
Pros: The combat and controls still work very well, while maintaining the illusion you’re piloting a giant robot. AI team-mates and week-long online wars are a great idea.

Cons: Even relatively simple ideas are made to seem as confusing as possible, with some seriously impenetrable interface design. Limited story mode and the usual weak mission design.

officialplaystationmagazine 6/10
For anyone already ingrained in the series, the opportunity to build your own team and take them online will be irresistible. But truthfully, for the uninitiated, there simply isn’t enough here to satisfy those of us desensitised by the bombast of bigger budget western games. Deliberately low on story but high on detail, Verdict Day is one for the (armored) hardcore.

IGN Italia 8/10
Armored Core: Verdict Day is a deep and rich experience, with some technical flaws, but a wonderful dark atmosphere. Online mode is full of potential and the single-player campaign will last long enough to catch user's attention. If you love mechs, you can't go wrong with it.

Eurogamer Italy 7/10
Armored Core: Verdict Day is closer to a big add-on than to a brand new game. The core game is the same as Armored Core V with more maps, more parts to customize your mech with and new modes. If you loved Armored Core V you'll like this one too.

Spaziogames 65/100
The series needed a restyle and a general overhaul of the entire game system to bring the product to the top of the market. What we get are just some new cooperative and competitive modes. As it is, the latest work by From Software is an elitary game that will capture only who is really into giant robots.

Meristation 63/100
Armored Core V is reborn thanks to Verdict Day. New modes, new items, new settings, most important online tools, mechs editor... But nothing more. The chaos and the disorder are in a game that doesn't get new players

Den of Geek 2/5
Armored Core: Verdict Day, like many of its predecessors, is one of those games that's for the fans, and few others. There's simply too much in the way of clunky controls, poor presentation and mind-numbingly repetitive missions for the game to appeal to newcomers, either of the series of the genre in general. It has some nice features, and the creation and programming options can shine with enough time ploughed in, but as the all-important core gameplay is so wanting, it's hard to recommend this to anyone but existing fans.

Ken

I was kind of disappointed with V so I'll pass until maybe next gen AC.

my ac was pretty cooll tho

jbnB6QpkzAswAm.jpg

Warablo

I have a question if anyone knows, but does this version include the full version of their last game with new content?

I have a question if anyone knows, but does this version include the full version of their last game with new content?
No, like 4Answer, its a seperate beast as far as story is concerned, cores(mechs) and parts and weapons carry over from V to this one though.

I was big on 5, although the GAF crew fell apart pretty much instantly. I only managed to play with people enough to beat half the major bosses. After that, it was dead every time I logged on.

Time zone/play time thing maybe, I dunno.

In any case, I thought it was an interesting direction after 4A's very different mechanic focus.

I might pick this up when it goes inevitably super cheap, like all these games do, if only because I feel that I've never been able to participate in the short lived online communities that I keep buying them day 1 for in the first place.

Killah

I'd like to get it tomorrow but I remember getting 5 and the online being dead not too long after the game was released.

So this time I'm probably not going to even bother.

hoverX

I bought V on day one as well but never put in the time. I really liked it but that was the start of me never touching my 360 very much.

Multiplayer was killed partly for the fact it was region locked, EU US and Jap players were segregated so the player pool was even more so diminished..US and EU can now play together, not sure about Jap, I think they stay seperate..

I play mostly for singleplayer so I'll be fine either way, there's a Hardcore mode that opens up after you beat the campaign that I'll probably attempt only after I've supertuned my Core!

I was kind of disappointed with V so I'll pass until maybe next gen AC.

my ac was pretty cooll tho

jbnB6QpkzAswAm.jpg
Indeed it is, best use of Jack Frost on a mech ever mang!

I've never played an Armored Core before, but have recently been craving mecha action, is this as good a entry as any to get into the series?

gemoran4

I didn't even realize they still made these games. I had Silent Line: Armored Core for the PS2 and I loved that game.

Granted I have some many games I need to buy/finish/start that I might wait and pick it up on sale or something. But I would love to get back into this series

FUME5

I'm waiting to hear if they've tweaked their online, since they managed to take all of the worst parts of Chromehounds setup.

MogCakes

I'm probably one of the few Armored Core diehards left after V destroyed a lot of the goodwill from both veteran and AC4/FA players. Way too much online focus, and Bamco killed even that with its utter neglect for keeping the game updated and refusing to combine regions.

Thankfully FROM realized their mistake in trying to go full online a la Chromehounds and added AI options back in with a supposed bigger focus on single player, so I've preordered. Doesn't take much to win me back! I'd be even happier if they severed ties with Bamco, IMO that company only gives a shit about FROM because of the Souls games.

Rant aside, I'm looking forward to toying around with AI teams.

Naked Lunch

Very excited for this game. Loved V. Loved For Answer and 4. Its a miracle games like Armored Core are still being made and are being released in the US. Ultra hardcore games for the ultra hardcore gamer. No compromises - no hand holding - barely any explanations. You have to learn the hard way and take your licks - but once you get it, you GET it.

I might like V even more than the awesome For Answer. V had 20 to 30 times more single player missions than any next gen AC game. The missions were way longer than 4 and FA too - similar to the PS2 AC games. There are sometimes multiple boss fights in levels too. Verdict Day looks to expand on this. Cannot wait.

I've never played an Armored Core before, but have recently been craving mecha action, is this as good a entry as any to get into the series?
Some would say 4answer would be the best, but I found that game a bit to easy and strangely low tech..With the renewed focus on single player in Verdict day, I can with good conscience recommend it, it feels good, and stuff blows up real good.

I'm probably one of the few Armored Core diehards left after V destroyed a lot of the goodwill from both veteran and AC4/FA players. Way too much online focus, and Bamco killed even that with its utter neglect for keeping the game updated and refusing to combine regions.

Thankfully FROM realized their mistake in trying to go full online a la Chromehounds and added AI options back in with a supposed bigger focus on single player, so I've preordered. Doesn't take much to win me back! I'd be even happier if they severed ties with Bamco, IMO that company only gives a shit about FROM because of the Souls games.

Rant aside, I'm looking forward to toying around with AI teams.
Same here, depending on how deep tuning the AI routines gets, I may just let my AI team handle most of my missions after I level them up and kit them out sufficiently!

Very excited for this game. Loved V. Loved For Answer and 4. Its a miracle games like Armored Core are still being made and are being released in the US. Ultra hardcore games for the ultra hardcore gamer. No compromises - no hand holding - barely any explanations. You have to learn the hard way and take your licks - but once you get it, you GET it.

I might like V even more than the awesome For Answer. V had 20 to 30 times more single player missions than any next gen AC game. The missions were way longer than 4 and FA too - similar to the PS2 AC games. There are sometimes multiple boss fights in levels too. Verdict Day looks to expand on this. Cannot wait.

Well put, very well put mang! Mirrors my enthusiasm quite precisely!

When ACV first was announced I had the impression it was gonna play like an episode of Armored Trooper Votoms or 8th MS Team -_-'

AC4A is probably my most played game this gen, but I was a bit disappointed with V. It wasn't really the story and I thought the gameplay was fun enough, different, but I thought it was good fun. I think what got me was the lack of support by Bamco, the game was so broken and after a few months I gave up. When they finally released the patch I got on and saw they nerfed all of the parts I used, including the only gun I really enjoyed using, which I was anticipating a buff for since the gun was bugged and it didn't lock-on properly. After that I just gave up on it forever. That said, if this is as much of an improvement as 4 to 4A I'll be stoked.

Not to mention how uncanny it is these games still get localized so I need to keep showing support.

MogCakes

i bet this'd pull surprisingly good numbers on steam.

oh well :/

There will come a day when FROMSOFT brings Armored Core to PC like they are with Dark Souls, it's only a matter of time. I hope it's sometime this or the upcoming generation, because the AC fanbase isn't what it once was and it could use a boost, especially if online is going to be a thing in future titles.

Same here, depending on how deep tuning the AI routines gets, I may just let my AI team handle most of my missions after I level them up and kit them out sufficiently!
Wait, we can let the AI handle missions? That's awesome!

Naked Lunch

Not to mention how uncanny it is these games still get localized so I need to keep showing support.
This cannot be stated enough. If you dig these games - you gotta support them or they will cease to exist. I have no idea how the hell this game is coming over here - but im glad it is. Preordered mine on BestBuy.com :)

This thread reminded me to finally order The Last Raven from ebay. Anyone have any impressions of that one? I liked Silent Line and 3 the most of the PS2 games. Im due to replay some of the Armored Core series.

There will come a day when FROMSOFT brings Armored Core to PC like they are with Dark Souls, it's only a matter of time. I hope it's sometime this or the upcoming generation, because the AC fanbase isn't what it once was and it could use a boost, especially if online is going to be a thing in future titles.

Wait, we can let the AI handle missions? That's awesome!

From what I gathered from the translated live show, yes, we can have an all AI sortie, hopefully that wasn't a mistranslation, but it looked pretty deep, they went as far as having 4 human players take on a tweaked AI team, and he Ai won pretty handily against a part of the dev team.

This cannot be stated enough. If you dig these games - you gotta support them or they will cease to exist. I have no idea how the hell this game is coming over here - but im glad it is. Preordered mine on BestBuy.com :)

This thread reminded me to finally order The Last Raven from ebay. Anyone have any impressions of that one? I liked Silent Line and 3 the most of the PS2 games. Im due to replay some of the Armored Core series.
Well said!
I sucked when it came to the ps2 games, so I codebreakered no weight limit and invincibility and stuck mostly with the arena battles, so they all blurred together, having to play AC4 the first next gen AC without cheats was brutal, really glad to see that this niche hasn't been abandoned.

Tizoc

All I know is that I can make my AC/mech a giant ass flying tank that can fire dozens or hundreds of rockets as I blow the ever loving hell out of things in a big ass open map.
I.e. Red Faction G., but with rockets instead of a hammer. Sign me the fuck up on this ish~

I actually just stumbled on this today while browsing Amazon, I had no idea. The listed changes make this a no-brainer.

AI teammates, I could get into that. I never was that interested in AI tweaking by itself, so I passed on Formula Front, but this could be a whole new department of AC tweaking to lose myself to.

AC games get rare fast, so while I won't get this launch day it will be at the front of the line for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SO excited. I finished 4answer recently and really liked it. From what I've seen of VD I love the asthetic and system changes. I'm not actually too fond of the scan mode as a radar replacement, but it's a minor complaint. Everything else looks amazing.

Kuren

I'm picking it up on Wednesday. Can't pick it up on Tuesday unfortunately; shop doesn't open late enough for me to get off work.

But anyway, I've picked up every AC since 3 pretty much. The only ACs I missed were Last Raven and Ninebreaker.

I haven't finished any of them save for 3/Silent Line, but I've always loved them and wanna support the AC games.

My opinion on V: the elemental weaknesses were somewhat of a pain. When there were enemies that were entirely immune to your ammunition, you were supposedly forced into building certain load outs which hypothetically makes you wanna just end up building load outs that were nothing instead. And the other thing is the frame rate was garbage. :( I dealt with it though.

What? You can get pretty much any AC for like $10-$20.

For Answer had a few scary droughts not too long after launch. Not like mere months or anything, but sooner than I expected. That's when I was looking for it, and now I don't take anything for granted.

New prices for that one are actually quite high right now. I typically buy used (rated: Like New by Marketplace merchants, as close to mint/complete as possible) but even those were way up there when I was looking for it.

Spazznid

I'll be getting it.

I will always buy Armored Core. I support this type of game, and wish they'd port to PC, but till then, I'll buy on Playstation.

KDR_11k

Despite save transfers and having ACV on the 360 I think I'll go with the PS3 version of VD since I don't play online enough to warrant paying money for Live and ACV gimped you when it didn't get an online connection (you couldn't set weapon focuses for weapons bought without an internet connection). Also what is a save transfer really good for? It'd only screw with the upgrade curve if it just lets you access all your gear from the start.

I didn't mind the mechanical changes between ACfA and V though I wish superweapons and missiles were less limited considering how you need to get special components to support them. The SP missions were weak though, very repetitive due to a lack of MT types. Also the selection screen was dreadful for replaying the missions in order.

As a European I have to wait until the end of the week to get it though.

I will get VD as soon as possible, but I'm in the middle of my transition from 360 to PS3 and I fear the MP will be a ghost town by the time I finally buy it.

It's a shame, as I love AC; even if I prefer 4/4A to V, the feeling of piloting a 10-meters high metallic juggernauts is unmatched by every other mech simulators on the market (Hawken ? Don't make me laugh).
Bring the AC series to the PC, From !

Pooya

I'd be interested if the campaign isn't garbage like ACV, single player was totally pointless and the story didn't make any sense. The bit about AI sounds cool, online players gonna be hard to find :\

elyetis

I sadly didn't give Ac5 the chance it deserved. I was highly disapointed by the solo and mech speed compared with AC4 and For Answer for the few hour I spended on ac5, and didn't really play in mp ( region locked, not knowing anyone playing the game on ps3 ). I doubt I'll get that one, but hope to see the licence get on Pc even more so if it keep it's focus on multiplayet, I would definitly give it another shot.

Sojgat

I will buy this Armored Core, just as I've done with all the rest, and then proceed to not play it very much.

Jrs3000

Last raven is one of the best in the series in parts and story. It introduced part breaking which I wish they kept in the newer ACs.

Jrs3000

I sadly didn't give Ac5 the chance it deserved. I was highly disapointed by the solo and mech speed compared with AC4 and For Answer for the few hour I spended on ac5, and didn't really play in mp ( region locked, not knowing anyone playing the game on ps3 ). I doubt I'll get that one, but hope to see the licence get on Pc even more so if it keep it's focus on multiplayet, I would definitly give it another shot.

Maybe we can do something to get FROM attention to consider a port. I'm picking mine up today though I'm still playing GTA and have w101 i've been trying to squeeze in.

On my phone, will gamestop have this game stocked? Is it on PSN? What's the cost?

Thanks! Looking forward to giving this a go, haven't played an Armored Core properly since the PS2 days. Wanted to grab V but by the time I had the funds I heard the online was dead.

Jrs3000

On my phone, will gamestop have this game stocked? Is it on PSN? What's the cost?

Thanks! Looking forward to giving this a go, haven't played an Armored Core properly since the PS2 days. Wanted to grab V but by the time I had the funds I heard the online was dead.

Online should be a lot better since NA and EU is merged and you can now create AI so there will be someone to battle. $49.99 and it should be everywhere, I don't know about PSN though I'm getting it on 360.

Top Bottom