• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

New002

I haven't played an Armored Core game since Armored Core 2, which I LOVED. I may have to give this a shot. Nostalgia glasses ON.

There a PS3 neogaf team to join?

Also:
Eurogamer 8/10
As it stands, however, Verdict Day is more than just a marked improvement over Armored Core 5. It offers more parts, more maps and new missions while expanding the already tight mechanics with an AI crafting system and an overhauled online mode that encapsulate what Armored Core does best: options, creativity, strategy and teamwork. It's unashamedly hardcore - and all the better for it.

Official Xbox Magazine 7.5/10
Ultimately, you either think giant stompy robots are rad or you don’t; if they’re your thing, and you don’t mind its split single-/multiplayer nature, Armored Core: Verdict Day provides an enjoyable stage on which to both rock and sock ‘em.

Metro 6/10
Pros: The combat and controls still work very well, while maintaining the illusion you’re piloting a giant robot. AI team-mates and week-long online wars are a great idea.

Cons: Even relatively simple ideas are made to seem as confusing as possible, with some seriously impenetrable interface design. Limited story mode and the usual weak mission design.

6/10

I knew it existed, but am only concerned with the cover art. It's okay; not the generic "robot punching through fireball toward viewer" cliched mess you tend to see. It's nowhere near the beauty of Armored Core V's though

armored_core_v_ps3.jpg
I would lick that. Wouldn't consider licking VD's.

I just got my main UNAC (you can only fully customize a single UNAC, you can get up to 9 via DLC) and I set her as a long range, who always tries to get the height advantage and won't let enemies get close..first sortie she does better than I did -__-

Overall, I'm proud of my Unac, I can see tweaking it getting really deep!

Updated the post above with two more.

Game is quite overwhelming at first, took me a good five minutes to finally grasp the rig weapon configuration and set up weapons on my back. Enjoying it though, just feels really nice to play and the difficulty makes everything incredibly tense. Haven't tried the online portion yet, and the single player missions so far seem pretty blase. Find the enemies and kill them and so on but it seems to primarily serve as a practice ground anyway.

Updated the post above with two more.

Game is quite overwhelming at first, took me a good five minutes to finally grasp the rig weapon configuration and set up weapons on my back. Enjoying it though, just feels really nice to play and the difficulty makes everything incredibly tense. Haven't tried the online portion yet, and the single player missions so far seem pretty blase. Find the enemies and kill them and so on but it seems to primarily serve as a practice ground anyway.

Good deal, I'll add those as well!

The campaign throws a few curveballs now and again, I just fought a boss that I did not expect to be so aggressive, died horribly the first time..

I actually liked the longer mission structure in 5, you could even regain health and ammo from specifit spots.. but replaying is definitely less of a chore.

NEO0MJ

I wont be able to play this till the weekend. I love From Software so much for still making these games.

I wonder if they'll still make them on the PS4/X1 or if they'll focus entirely on the Souls series. I remember the AC series having a decent fanbase back during the PSX/2 era but it' nothing compared to the popularity of the Souls series.

Edit: slowdowns in a trailer?! Not a good sign.

Naked Lunch

I wonder if they'll still make them on the PS4/X1 or if they'll focus entirely on the Souls series. I remember the AC series having a decent fanbase back during the PSX/2 era but it' nothing compared to the popularity of the Souls series.
If you think about it, From has made at least 3 or 4 Armored Core games the past 3 generations. 4 Armored Cores alone this gen not counting the PSP re-releases of the PS2 games. AC is their baby. They wont drop it.

So no Gaffer PS3 group? Just want the progress to go towards a populated group as I'm in my 1 man one at the moment. How many people in a group by the way?

Sooo based on this thread, you guys wouldn't recommend AC 5? Youtube vids looked quite good, I'm new to the series and it's quite cheap. Is it wrong to start with 5 in order to see whether I like the series at all?

So no Gaffer PS3 group? Just want the progress to go towards a populated group as I'm in my 1 man one at the moment. How many people in a group by the way?

I would link up with you if I had internetz..

For now I'm indulging in UNAC building, its a bit daunting at first, but once it clicks, its pretty rewarding. Broke down in a couple of missions only to have my UNAC finish the job handily!

Sooo based on this thread, you guys wouldn't recommend AC 5? Youtube vids looked quite good, I'm new to the series and it's quite cheap. Is it wrong to start with 5 in order to see whether I like the series at all?
I loved it, the mission structure is different but the feel is the same, if its cheap, knock yourself out, its hated mostly for being so different, but at its core (no pun intended) its a great mecha battling experience.

I loved it, the mission structure is different but the feel is the same, if its cheap, knock yourself out, its hated mostly for being so different, but at its core (no pun intended) its a great mecha battling experience.

I think this seals the deal as I don't know what the other games did better or worse.

I hope you can create a Hello Kitty Mech in pink *badass*

Jrs3000

Created a NeoGaf clan on 360.

Name is "NeoGaf" obviously.

I will be joining.

So far I'm enjoying the game. They fixed up the multiplayer, it looks like everyone is on the same server across the world. I'm focused on the story to unlock and find all the hidden parts before getting into the Faction battle.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm actually kind of disappointed in the OST from what I've heard compared to 4A and V. Kind of sad that the best tracks are mostly just remixes from 4A.

VariantX

Guess I'll have to think about ordering a copy from gamestop online, by the time I had cash for the last game, found out the game was pretty much dead.

Im scared to purchase this. I love the series but ACV just about hurt me. The lack of players and it just kinda died. At least on PS3. But I am willing to dive back in if plenty of people are gonna be playing. I just know better than to start my own team this time.

Jrs3000

Im scared to purchase this. I love the series but ACV just about hurt me. The lack of players and it just kinda died. At least on PS3. But I am willing to dive back in if plenty of people are gonna be playing. I just know better than to start my own team this time.

They fixed this by merging servers and changing the format of battle so it's more like how chromehounds was. There's 3 factions you join and create your team for. It's battles going on all the time, it shows you when someone wins and loses. This is what V should've been. I had my doubts but I'm sucked in now. I'm more hype for it than GTA.

Seems like a ragtag group is getting together on GAF, it may be worth a look if its still hot weeks down the line.

I bought it mainly for single player, and so far it's been a good investment, some of these missions, though shorter than vanilla V's are crazy challenging, too many times my UNAC (AI partner) has had to finish a mission..i shudder to think what HARDCORE mode will be about.

thundr51

Anybody know where I can get sort of a primer on building a good core? I built some stuff in vanilla but it never really seemed to be any good. I understand the differ types of weapon/armor stuff but I want something to use as a reference. Also, where anybody have any videos/tips on quickturns?

Anybody know where I can get sort of a primer on building a good core? I built some stuff in vanilla but it never really seemed to be any good. I understand the differ types of weapon/armor stuff but I want something to use as a reference.

I remember using a Jotun core with a UGN-70 Ho Vital generator in the previous game (good resistance, pretty good energy reserve and refresh), along with SVIR2 arms (great shooting stability), Jiuhua legs (carriage capacity), a Glance SCA (good lock-on speed & reticule), a Lancelot head and a UBT-25/H (great acceleraration). For weapons, I used the USG of course... they must have been nerfed since then ^^

Of course, half of the fun is having a whole stable of differents models for each situation : a quadriped specialized in sniping, a tank with some really heavy weapons like gatlings (but I don't find heavy models fun to play), and of course a lightweight model for dueling (equiped with Noctuidae shotguns, for example).

Just curious, but what was everyone flagship model(s) in V ?

the push towards multiplayer being the bulk of the content is going to continue to lose them a lot of original series fans, they should have taken a cue from demons souls and made it non obstructive to the single player experience..i won't be able to partake in even mock battles (i was planning to with AI) without being online..ah well, I still have a LOOOONG way to go to finish the single player I think, on 6-1 and fought tooth and nail to get there.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What does the AI involve? It is a programmable Carnage Hearts type thing or something more basic?

ahaha. as if anything in armored core is ever basic.

i've only glanced through the unac ai system so far, and what i saw was kind of scary :p

damn this game is getting hard. the 1v1 story mode missions are absolutely brutal

1 vs 1?

Ha ha ha ha ha..

Wait till they release the Kraken ..
and son..If it wasn't for my AI being tuned for long range sniping away at pops after I whittled him down thus winning the match, and his son being kind of an idiot and getting taken out via his numerous dead angle, I'd ,still be attempting that match today!

Jrs3000

ahaha. as if anything in armored core is ever basic.

i've only glanced through the unac ai system so far, and what i saw was kind of scary :p

The ai is simple once you mess with it. Here's my brief explanation to it. Do a operation test and edit your AI in realtime battle. You have 5 main categories starting out.

Left arm, Right arm, Movement, Shoulder, Detection, and Special.

Each one of these decides the actions your AC does. You have a choice of doing a fixed or condition for each of those categories. (Oh ya press the Y button or whatever button on ps3 to change the side text until it shows a picture. It makes it easier as you can see the actions your ac does from it as you select them.) Fixed means you select 1 chip below and it will be the only thing the AC does or you can have condition where you can select up to 3 chips and the AC will determine which to use based on the conditions.

The bottom tree under the 5 main categories is where you select your action chips. For example lets do the right arm weapon. It will look like this: Start < Right Arm Fixed < General purpose arm weapon. Here you tweak the setting such as at what range to install and use this weapon.

Hopefully this is helpful.

VariantX

I just have this incredible sense of being clueless about what im supposed to be doing right now. The feeling of bounding off of buildings and flying through a map is awesome though.

I just have this incredible sense of being clueless about what im supposed to be doing right now. The feeling of bounding off of buildings and flying through a map is awesome though.

It'll come to you after much trial and error! Starting out get used to the rifles, its the defacto noob weapon, you can double blast your way through a lot of missions with it!

Top Bottom