• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

KDR_11k

Currently like 8-24 CEST (GMT+2) due to vacation, soon only in the evenings CEST.

EDIT: OH NEATO! Weapon arms can be activated while you have ready stance weapons without purging them!

thundr51

Ya that's me. We need to do some territory sorties. It will build our rank up plus you unlock parts and it helps your personal rank. I've put together some mean ACs from experience battling online.
Cool, any chance you can promote me to a full member? Also would like to see some of your designs, having a tough time fighting anything close range...but that might just a lack of skill on my part.

Jrs3000

Cool, any chance you can promote me to a full member? Also would like to see some of your designs, having a tough time fighting anything close range...but that might just a lack of skill on my part.

Ill see if I can, I wasn't the one who created the group. Sure I think there's a option to upload stuff. Fighting close range in a Heavy, Mid, or light? Just keep moving straffing side to side. Use rapid fire weapons and short range missles. It really plays out to the type of AC you battle. Use recons and launch them long range. Scan the ac to see what they weak to. Lights and mids tend to be weak to CE and TE while heavys are low on KE and tanks they are all around strong but CE or KE may be lower depending on how it's built. Have at least 1 weapon of each type or develop a strategy for ACs of certain types. My staple AC rocks a gatling gun, pulse machine gun, shield, CE missles, and a handgun.

KDR_11k

Careful with rapid fire weapons like gatlings, their base damage is so low that even enemies that are "weak" to that damage type can have enough armor to stop them. Autocannons are so powerful that no armor will resist sustained fire from those things though so when you see a tank stay at range.

Also wow, EGF has the most annoying world map music.

We're not getting out of the D- rank if it's just me and some UNACs fighting, nowadays everybody has at least 2-3 team members in their group. ITA AC (they used to own like half the map back in ACV when I played that long after release so they're really dedicated and experienced) has appeared too so we really need to step up our game. We have 13 people in ESWAT, I'd rather not fall back to using mercs.

Jrs3000

Careful with rapid fire weapons like gatlings, their base damage is so low that even enemies that are "weak" to that damage type can have enough armor to stop them. Autocannons are so powerful that no armor will resist sustained fire from those things though so when you see a tank stay at range.

Also wow, EGF has the most annoying world map music.

We're not getting out of the D- rank if it's just me and some UNACs fighting, nowadays everybody has at least 2-3 team members in their group. ITA AC (they used to own like half the map back in ACV when I played that long after release so they're really dedicated and experienced) has appeared too so we really need to step up our game. We have 13 people in ESWAT, I'd rather not fall back to using mercs.

Gatlings aren't bad, you need to upgrade the damage or fire rate and make sure to use it within it's optimal range. It's a good support weapon. When fired with other weapons it helps your DPS and hitting an AC with a lot of damage at 1 time breaks it's armor so your weapons do even more damage. Yea autocanons are deadly, the best tactic is state out of range or out turn the tank if solo.

thundr51

Ill see if I can, I wasn't the one who created the group. Sure I think there's a option to upload stuff. Fighting close range in a Heavy, Mid, or light? Just keep moving straffing side to side. Use rapid fire weapons and short range missles. It really plays out to the type of AC you battle. Use recons and launch them long range. Scan the ac to see what they weak to. Lights and mids tend to be weak to CE and TE while heavys are low on KE and tanks they are all around strong but CE or KE may be lower depending on how it's built. Have at least 1 weapon of each type or develop a strategy for ACs of certain types. My staple AC rocks a gatling gun, pulse machine gun, shield, CE missles, and a handgun.

I normally have a good range of weapons when I'm doing the story missions. My problem is trying to minimize damage with light types. I'm still experimenting but it just seems like it's almost impossible to survive a fight with a mid/heavy without losing MASSIVE amounts of health or MASSIVE amounts of luck.

Incidentally, what are handguns good for? I figured since they are supposed give a bit of stun I could equip one with a blade and get the job done...and it does work...sorta. Still lost a lot of health but I have no idea what stun is supposed to.

MogCakes

I normally have a good range of weapons when I'm doing the story missions. My problem is trying to minimize damage with light types. I'm still experimenting but it just seems like it's almost impossible to survive a fight with a mid/heavy without losing MASSIVE amounts of health or MASSIVE amounts of luck.

Incidentally, what are handguns good for? I figured since they are supposed give a bit of stun I could equip one with a blade and get the job done...and it does work...sorta. Still lost a lot of health but I have no idea what stun is supposed to.

Handguns are good for stunning agile opponents, so basically light enemy AC's that try to circle over you while spamming gunfire. Stunning them in place allows you to get a potshot or two in, more so if you can keep them on stunlock with the handgun. In the ACLR handguns were one of the best weapons period because of their stun and high DPS (albeit short range and sometimes limited ammo).

Jrs3000

Equip a shield. This is the best part they brought back from previous ACs and it's actually useful. I use it on my light and mids. Focus on the strength of Light ACs, that's their mobility. Out manuever and out turn heavies. Use acceleration boosters on them, it will help with dodging and getting out of the target box. Stun is only effective fighting lights and ACs with low stability, you can enhance the effectiveness of weapons that can stun by getting a mobility jammer and using it to really stun any AC.

Edit: Battle other players online. It will help you contruct better ACs and tactics fighting which will help when going back to the story. Plus the operation files from matches can be used to upgrade your UNAC so you don't have to waste money on that.

KDR_11k

I'm not very good with standard guns so I use my WAB-123 all the time. Stay at a distance to enemies and launch away.

Can't someone explain to me how exactly all the UNAC works or how I should approach it? Are they tied to our ESWAT team or separate for each user? Should I level things up in the work shop or just use operation files?

Jrs3000

Can't someone explain to me how exactly all the UNAC works or how I should approach it? Are they tied to our ESWAT team or separate for each user? Should I level things up in the work shop or just use operation files?

Every player has 1 UNAC. Don't waste money just use operation files from normal sorties to level it up for free. Think of it as a tree. You start at the top then work your way down. You have categories for left and right arm weapons, detection, movment etc. Just pick something under each category for what you want it to do. Do the UNAC test so that way as you make changes you can see how it acts in real time. Also I'm not sure what button on ps3 but when editing the UNAC operation there's a button to switch the words on left to a picture that demonstrates movment and detection.

KDR_11k

The first step when making a UNAC is to build the AC, the UNAC's programming is pretty specific to a loadout so settle on the weapons you want before you start delving into the operations menu.

UNACs have those three "levels" but only the bottom one really matters. The first two are basically categories for the third level chips, the top one is for different operation modes (if you want your UNAC to have some sort of total behavior change trigger, e.g. mine changes to its missile arms when the target has a low CE defense and somewhat alters its movement distance and especially the shooting chips), the mid level selects the category of the chips you want to install and fits selector chips that decide how many chips of that category you can install in the bottom layer and how it selects which one to use. Just pick the size you need (bigger sizes are unlocked as you level the UNAC up) and if you don't want the category at all (e.g. shoulder weapons on an AC with none of those) erase the category chip with the square button menu to save cost.

The interesting part is the bottom layer, these are the actual actions the AC takes. It's really basic things like "shoot left weapon" or "maintain distance of 250m". Press Triangle once to show the chip parameters so you know what you're dealing with. When you install a chip pay attention to the parameters, UNACs have no mind of their own and when your shooting chip says "range 50-200m" they will stop shooting if the enemy gets closer than 50m or further away than 200m. So move those sliders. You can install two chips for shooting the same weapon if you can't cover the whole range you want with just one.

When fighting with UNACs make sure to call targets all the time (L2 in scan mode), they WILL get fixated on all kinds of worthless crap and when that crap is behind a building the UNAC may take forever to establish a line of fire (or even get stuck on terrain entirely). Especially pay attention to chips like "target lowest AP enemy" because the lowest AP is usually on a defense system. There is a "target ACs first" chip but it's fairly high level...

You can see your combat programming work out in AC Test, pressing Select there lets you reprogram the UNAC on the fly. However be careful, it seems like your UNAC programming gets reset if you go into offline mode so make sure to save your UNAC data often.

BTW, is aiming in non-ready-stance always shit or is that only on the PS3? Aiming the sniper cannon arms is really hard.

Jrs3000

The first step when making a UNAC is to build the AC, the UNAC's programming is pretty specific to a loadout so settle on the weapons you want before you start delving into the operations menu.

UNACs have those three "levels" but only the bottom one really matters. The first two are basically categories for the third level chips, the top one is for different operation modes (if you want your UNAC to have some sort of total behavior change trigger, e.g. mine changes to its missile arms when the target has a low CE defense and somewhat alters its movement distance and especially the shooting chips), the mid level selects the category of the chips you want to install and fits selector chips that decide how many chips of that category you can install in the bottom layer and how it selects which one to use. Just pick the size you need (bigger sizes are unlocked as you level the UNAC up) and if you don't want the category at all (e.g. shoulder weapons on an AC with none of those) erase the category chip with the square button menu to save cost.

The interesting part is the bottom layer, these are the actual actions the AC takes. It's really basic things like "shoot left weapon" or "maintain distance of 250m". Press Triangle once to show the chip parameters so you know what you're dealing with. When you install a chip pay attention to the parameters, UNACs have no mind of their own and when your shooting chip says "range 50-200m" they will stop shooting if the enemy gets closer than 50m or further away than 200m. So move those sliders. You can install two chips for shooting the same weapon if you can't cover the whole range you want with just one.

When fighting with UNACs make sure to call targets all the time (L2 in scan mode), they WILL get fixated on all kinds of worthless crap and when that crap is behind a building the UNAC may take forever to establish a line of fire (or even get stuck on terrain entirely). Especially pay attention to chips like "target lowest AP enemy" because the lowest AP is usually on a defense system. There is a "target ACs first" chip but it's fairly high level...

You can see your combat programming work out in AC Test, pressing Select there lets you reprogram the UNAC on the fly. However be careful, it seems like your UNAC programming gets reset if you go into offline mode so make sure to save your UNAC data often.

BTW, is aiming in non-ready-stance always shit or is that only on the PS3? Aiming the sniper cannon arms is really hard.

The weapon arms are new and your stability effects the aiming somewhat. You have to lign up the target with the bottomish part of reticle. I've practiced it's not too bad doing it.

KDR_11k

The nasty part with the sniper cannon arm is that your AC is to the side of the camera. Especially if the cannon is on the arm that's away from the camera. You get a massive horizontal offset. But the stick also seems to have a fairly large deadzone and odd acceleration.

Jrs3000

The nasty part with the sniper cannon arm is that your AC is to the side of the camera. Especially if the cannon is on the arm that's away from the camera. You get a massive horizontal offset. But the stick also seems to have a fairly large deadzone and odd acceleration.

I've found the singe shot work the best for me hitting a target. I upgraded the shot speed so it's at 1100, it makes it easy to strike and not have to deal with the delay and time for bullet to travel. I'm going to try and see if I can make it reach 1200.

KDR_11k

I've been experimenting with sticking the things on UNACs.

Are there more parts to unlock after reaching the A rank? I've got one star bit past A and didn't unlock anything, is pursuing more rank pointless? Also it looks like the scrap collection stuff is also pointless because it only gives you untuned weapons that you could just buy in the store?

EDIT: I'm kinda running out of interesting things to build, probably time to stop playing soon...

KDR_11k

Oh I have piles upon piles of gear from online mission loot drops, I don't think there are any new ones I could get from that. Unless special missions drop different loot?

Jrs3000

Oh I have piles upon piles of gear from online mission loot drops, I don't think there are any new ones I could get from that. Unless special missions drop different loot?

Hmmm, it's hard to say. Have you fought any bosses in online? I see on the map sometimes a image of the bosses like in V.

KDR_11k

Only once and it was the "loads of minibosses" fight, not one of the big ones. You can normally only reach them on special missions, when a faction wins you get to perform free sorties against them but only until the map resets.

Lockon

I think I'm done with this game, and I guess almost everyone that posted here too? I've done everything I wanted: beat story mode (dat final boss!), s ranks all missions, and get all sub quests. I wanted to play more but got something else to play (Disgaea D2). I might come back and play a bit from time to time, but not anytime soon (getting PS4 and 5 games by the end of the year).

Overall, I really love this game and I can't wait to see mech games on next-gen consoles (hopefully there are some!).

d0c_zaius

I'm still playing. Trying to make my UNAC better, go through more missions (only at difficulty 7 right now, but getting walloped).

KDR_11k

Difficulty 7? What measures that?

And how the hell do you S-Rank the final boss? Don't his Kojima emissions in phase 2 always cause enough damage to prevent that?

Jrs3000

HOw's the online crowd on ps3? I'm able to get matches much easier than V but nobody seems to play regular VS matches outside of the territory mode.

I really hope the community doesn't die. I still want this to be my first Armored Core, and it would suck if there weren't any people online once I got it.

Jrs3000

I've been eyeballing this; how does it compare to Chromehounds?

Oh god, Chromehounds... how I miss you. Sniff.

From what I've heard since I never played chrome it's similar. I'm going to pickup the ps3 version since I don't have plans on renewing live next year so far.

The End

Picked it up on sale on XBL a ways back when it was like... $8

virtually no one online, ever so basically a wash

probably shouldn't double dip

Jrs3000

Picked it up on sale on XBL a ways back when it was like... $8

virtually no one online, ever so basically a wash

probably shouldn't double dip

The game is alive on PS3. They merged the servers so you will be able to play with the crowd from japan which are active.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I moved to the JP version a while back since no one was playing INT. :p

is the sp garbage or something

was hoping to do some sweet mech coop action

SP is decent, especially for 5 bucks. It can be difficult, but even if you can't find a partner you can always fall back on a UNAC to get you through the tough spots. Certain UNAC configurations can make most of the missions a joke.

The missions are generally a lot more interesting and varied than the crappy order missions in V, and the main story missions while shorter than those in V usually have you fighting far more unique and challenging ACs and unmanned weapons rather than the same crappy MTs over and over. If you've played For Answer the game has a lot of interesting throwbacks and references too.

The shitty thing is that the really tough super bosses are locked off from offline players. I lone player and a UNAC wouldn't stand much chance against them anyway, but it still sucks not being able to fight motherwill whenever I want.

Eusis

No OT, this got bumped yesterday, let's bring it back up. Someone who'll actually go into depth is better for a LTTP thread anyway (if there was a party to begin with.)

I grabbed it on PSN, but the GAF team was full so I just made my own called New Sun. I actually rented it from GameFly last week, but immediately sent it back because I knew it was going to be too in depth for me to properly get into as a rental (and I mainly wanted PS4 games anyway) but now with this sale I DO have a good chance to get into it!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I dug out my english copy and am reinstalling to co-op with a friend. Hopefully we can get some good gaf matches going soon.

although interest still seems pretty low... :(

Maybe I'll finally play this online. It was weird time for me when it came out so I didn't get to play it much.

Is the online for this one better than V?

I bought it but I can't install it until I finish Persona 4 Arena's story mode.
I'll be playing once I have though, hoping the online will be somewhat active then :)

OatmealMu

Couldn't find a NeoGAF team, but it looks like it's full anyway. Ended up creating one called "NeoGAF". Join up if you want.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Juliet's 8½ Spirits;110033878 said:
Just bought this, and I'll probably start this game after my last final next Tuesday.
Its fromsoft, so I definitely have my hopes up.

Have you played an AC game before? If your only experience with From is Souls then you're in for a bit of a learning curve. :)

The big difference in the perceived accessibility of the souls games vs AC is in how the stats and systems translate into feedback in execution. Souls games have similar interfaces and layouts but the pages of stats are less cryptic when you can see the immediate effect of gear. How big and slow a sword is, if its piercing or bludgeoning, if it does lighting or fire damage, etc. In Armored Core you have different damage types, muzzle velocity, armor breakpoints, etc - all these things to consider and when you actually start playing there isn't much feedback that you're doing anything wrong besides a flashing "INEFFECTIVE" message whenever you hit something, you run out of energy and can't boost and then you die for reasons you probably don't fully comprehend.

The Souls games and their mechanics are pretty transparent compared to AC, but not all that much different in execution - in AC you just have to spend a bit of time to read through and understand how things work before getting too deep. Hell you can beat most of the campaign by just sticking to a pair of KE + CE rifles tuned for power and using a prebuilt UNAC to carry you through the tricky bits as long as you have a halfway decent grasp of the systems. Once the campaign is over, you have access to all the parts and a ton of cash is when the real fun starts. :)

I remember playing the Armored Core demo for the original PlayStation and really getting into it. For whatever reason I never actually purchased an Armored Core before, but always saw them coming out so assumed it was successful. Now picked up Verdict Day for $5. First true introduction to the series for me. Honestly surprised how little interest there is for the game, what's not to love about giant mechs and giant guns? Though I suppose it did come out only half a year ago, and in a time where so many people are applauding the next gen consoles for their high end graphics despite no real gameplay innovations, I can see how Verdict Day's graphics became an immediate turn-off for many.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It always blew my mind that people could look at the screens and trailers and just flat out say 'this looks like shit.' COULD NOT UNDERSTAND.
As much as I enjoy the overall style of the AC games, the ACV and VD look was totally something else for me. The engine may not be a marvel and the textures and geometry may not be terribly elaborate but I adored the world and mechanical designs of this game since the beginning. They all just look so damn cool.

Top Bottom