• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V: Verdict Day- Anyone getting it tomorrow? Anyone even know it exists?

anyone

also is there an arena like in the ps2 armored core games

those were sweet

Man were they ever..in this game, there are certain missions that are matches on wide open battlefields with another AC, there's probably about 30 or more of those type of matches (sometimes with 2 AC's at a time)..I wish there was a true arena though in addition to that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sorry Luka, that was awful :D I lost most of my energy early on due to not seeing the mechs coming.

heh, mission 3 trips almost everyone up. it's kind of a cheap shot throwing nearly invincible UNACs at you out of the blue. :)

What are all the workshop parts about? Ie buying trucks, planes, etc.

im not sure about the parts, but iirc buying new workshops increases the amount of parts you can store.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah I wasn't prepared for how tough the special sorties were. 2 ACs and a UNAC doesn't cut it. :p

So much money gone...

IGN Italia 8/10
Armored Core: Verdict Day is a deep and rich experience, with some technical flaws, but a wonderful dark atmosphere. Online mode is full of potential and the single-player campaign will last long enough to catch user's attention. If you love mechs, you can't go wrong with it.

Eurogamer Italy 7/10
Armored Core: Verdict Day is closer to a big add-on than to a brand new game. The core game is the same as Armored Core V with more maps, more parts to customize your mech with and new modes. If you loved Armored Core V you'll like this one too.

Spaziogames 65/100
The series needed a restyle and a general overhaul of the entire game system to bring the product to the top of the market. What we get are just some new cooperative and competitive modes. As it is, the latest work by From Software is an elitary game that will capture only who is really into giant robots.

Meristation 63/100
Armored Core V is reborn thanks to Verdict Day. New modes, new items, new settings, most important online tools, mechs editor... But nothing more. The chaos and the disorder are in a game that doesn't get new players

Den of Geek 2/5
Armored Core: Verdict Day, like many of its predecessors, is one of those games that's for the fans, and few others. There's simply too much in the way of clunky controls, poor presentation and mind-numbingly repetitive missions for the game to appeal to newcomers, either of the series of the genre in general. It has some nice features, and the creation and programming options can shine with enough time ploughed in, but as the all-important core gameplay is so wanting, it's hard to recommend this to anyone but existing fans.

Personally as someone who hasn't played the series in over a decade I'm finding the actual gameplay incredibly fun, with different weapons changing the approach considerably. Missions certainly are repetitive but I can't say it's really bothering me. Varied enemy encounters and the boss battles change things up.

IGN Italia 8/10

Eurogamer Italy 7/10

Spaziogames 65/100

Meristation 63/100

Den of Geek 2/5

Personally as someone who hasn't played the series in over a decade I'm finding the actual gameplay incredibly fun, with different weapons changing the approach considerably. Missions certainly are repetitive but I can't say it's really bothering me. Varied enemy encounters and the boss battles change things up.
Agreed, I'm still enamored by single player, sad to hear some bosses are locked to multiplayer only, but otherwise, its quite a solid experience!
I'll add these when I get back to work, when I'm not on my cell!

KDR_11k

heh, mission 3 trips almost everyone up. it's kind of a cheap shot throwing nearly invincible UNACs at you out of the blue. :)

Yeah but losing doesn't cost money so you just go back to the workshop, max out your CE resistance (those UNACs are all equipped with CE battle rifles) and try again.

EDIT: Winning however costs... Man, I'm losing money on almost every sortie since about mission 4.

MogCakes

Joined PSN group, using my Rebel pilot name from PS1 days. I'm sure there are thousands of people using rebel monikers, but this one stuck with me so...

Mission 6-5 against the two beehive AC's.. HOURS I spent on it..thank you laser rifles and regular rifles, when I won I thought i made a mistake. Definitely a more brutal experience than vanilla V.

VariantX

Almost forgot how fast you can get destroyed in an AC game since my last experience with AC was AC3. Got stagger locked by a turret and just got decimated in like 2 seconds by 2 enemy AC's. Dead before I even hit the ground.

KDR_11k

Mission 6-5 against the two beehive AC's.. HOURS I spent on it..thank you laser rifles and regular rifles, when I won I thought i made a mistake. Definitely a more brutal experience than vanilla V.

I got a set of 2x4 missile arms (WBA123 or so) from a crate in a "standard" mission, adding a UNAC as a distraction allowed me to kill one and damage the other before they even got to attack me, after that it was fairly easy to finish the survivor off.

Those missile arms are currently my favorite anti-AC weapon. Weapon arms are a good intermediate between regular weapons and superweapons.

Yeah but losing doesn't cost money so you just go back to the workshop, max out your CE resistance (those UNACs are all equipped with CE battle rifles) and try again.

EDIT: Winning however costs... Man, I'm losing money on almost every sortie since about mission 4.

I went back and played the first 3 chapters with a UNAC for S ranks and started making the money back. You can make 120K+ on each mission and you will make that as you won't get hit because of the UNAC and improved weapons.

One thing I don't understand, in the workshop you can go to a UNAC section and upgrade various components (ie right weapon, movement, evasion, etc) but does that apply to the robots you have in your squad or does that only apply to new ones?

KDR_11k

It seems to give you more tools for programming your UNAC. I haven't found a "stay away from suicide Amons" chip though, I've tried recruiting a sniper for an anti-Amon mission and it just ran towards the Amons that promptly proceeded to maul him. Also is it even possible to avoid the spin-kicks from the minibosses like the Mission 4 target? They seem to be perfectly homing and the only way I've been able to avoid them is by staying out of range but that's more down to luck due to the high movement speed of those things.

I've been making more money since I switched to the missile arms and such, they let me hang back and bombard a target more easily.

EDIT: Screw mission 8-2. "Hey, let's have the player fight a miniboss that rushes him with a massive cannon while under heavy sniper fire!"

EDIT2: Is there any way to avoid the Assault Armor attacks in mission 10?

EDIT3: Jeez, do UNACs need some sort of special chip to figure out how a CIWS works???

EDIT4: And what about a chip to not have them get stuck on terrain???

thundr51

I went back and played the first 3 chapters with a UNAC for S ranks and started making the money back. You can make 120K+ on each mission and you will make that as you won't get hit because of the UNAC and improved weapons.

One thing I don't understand, in the workshop you can go to a UNAC section and upgrade various components (ie right weapon, movement, evasion, etc) but does that apply to the robots you have in your squad or does that only apply to new ones?

Starting to do this now, dual wielded pile bunkers and did the first duel (guy with the football helmet icon) in seconds. Very satisfying...

JKTrix

Played this for the first time early this morning (like 3AM) failed the first mission because I ran out of time. Turning it on just now, I realized it wasn't a 'Story' mission but one of the online missions.

Guess I shouldn't play complicated games on limited sleep.

It seems to give you more tools for programming your UNAC. I haven't found a "stay away from suicide Amons" chip though, I've tried recruiting a sniper for an anti-Amon mission and it just ran towards the Amons that promptly proceeded to maul him. Also is it even possible to avoid the spin-kicks from the minibosses like the Mission 4 target? They seem to be perfectly homing and the only way I've been able to avoid them is by staying out of range but that's more down to luck due to the high movement speed of those things.

I've been making more money since I switched to the missile arms and such, they let me hang back and bombard a target more easily.

EDIT: Screw mission 8-2. "Hey, let's have the player fight a miniboss that rushes him with a massive cannon while under heavy sniper fire!"

EDIT2: Is there any way to avoid the Assault Armor attacks in mission 10?

EDIT3: Jeez, do UNACs need some sort of special chip to figure out how a CIWS works???

EDIT4: And what about a chip to not have them get stuck on terrain???
Oh man, sounds like I'm in for a treat :(

I'm gonna start scouring my parts for those weapon arms you mentioned now.

Jrs3000

It seems to give you more tools for programming your UNAC. I haven't found a "stay away from suicide Amons" chip though, I've tried recruiting a sniper for an anti-Amon mission and it just ran towards the Amons that promptly proceeded to maul him. Also is it even possible to avoid the spin-kicks from the minibosses like the Mission 4 target? They seem to be perfectly homing and the only way I've been able to avoid them is by staying out of range but that's more down to luck due to the high movement speed of those things. Stay out of range and when they come HB and QB to the side at a angle going forward. They can't cut the turn tight enough if you do that at the last minute.I

EDIT2: Is there any way to avoid the Assault Armor attacks in mission 10? Just jump back and QB or HB.

EDIT3: Jeez, do UNACs need some sort of special chip to figure out how a CIWS works??? Probably so.

EDIT4: And what about a chip to not have them get stuck on terrain??? Tune their ai for elevation, theyll jump over and climb up stuff

Bolded

Jrs3000

I'm on the last mission now. Man is it a surprise. I hope they give some of those parts he has. I just need to figure out the most effect way to beat him. Where's the 360 people at? Only 2 of us on the NeoGaf team.

KDR_11k

Using my boosts wasn't enough to escape those two attacks I mentioned but maybe I need to use a lighter AC.

I doubt you get any of his parts but you will probably unlock some Ultimate Weapons. AC V gave some of those out for beating the campaign. IMO the UWs are too unwieldy for practical use, using the Giga Cannon to snipe some ACs in side missions in AC V was funny but I wouldn't expect that to work against real people since they'd just take cover and wait for your weapon to burn out (supposedly the missile could be used with a tag gun with good teamwork though). If you want his green glow shields and explosion attack those are standard AC features in Armored Core 4 and for Answer and I doubt you'll get to use them in VD since they'd screw with the game balance. One of the maps also looks like the wreck of the Arms Fort "Spirit of Motherwell", I guess that's From's continuity nod to ACfA.

The final boss of AC V went down to dual autocannons on a tank pretty quickly but with this guy that means you'll eat a full Assault Armor blast (that's the explosion he does). It does look like you can take about half his health off during one of his AA attacks though. Normal gatlings cannot even pierce his Primal Armor but the autocannons might be able to get through. He's so damn fast too...

BTW, how can I change my team? When I started I set it to "create new" since I wanted to get decent at the game before joining an online team.

thundr51

I'm on the last mission now. Man is it a surprise. I hope they give some of those parts he has. I just need to figure out the most effect way to beat him. Where's the 360 people at? Only 2 of us on the NeoGaf team.

I'm here, I'll try to join sometime today. Only played for a bit yesterday but since I'm getting close to lvl60 on Tera I'll have more time for this.

TentPole

Was disappointed by the lack of players in V but am hoping that opening regional divisions and ai companions help with that. Downloading off psn right now.

Jrs3000

Using my boosts wasn't enough to escape those two attacks I mentioned but maybe I need to use a lighter AC.

I doubt you get any of his parts but you will probably unlock some Ultimate Weapons. AC V gave some of those out for beating the campaign. IMO the UWs are too unwieldy for practical use, using the Giga Cannon to snipe some ACs in side missions in AC V was funny but I wouldn't expect that to work against real people since they'd just take cover and wait for your weapon to burn out (supposedly the missile could be used with a tag gun with good teamwork though). If you want his green glow shields and explosion attack those are standard AC features in Armored Core 4 and for Answer and I doubt you'll get to use them in VD since they'd screw with the game balance. One of the maps also looks like the wreck of the Arms Fort "Spirit of Motherwell", I guess that's From's continuity nod to ACfA.

The final boss of AC V went down to dual autocannons on a tank pretty quickly but with this guy that means you'll eat a full Assault Armor blast (that's the explosion he does). It does look like you can take about half his health off during one of his AA attacks though. Normal gatlings cannot even pierce his Primal Armor but the autocannons might be able to get through. He's so damn fast too...

BTW, how can I change my team? When I started I set it to "create new" since I wanted to get decent at the game before joining an online team.

I've been thinking of how to beat him. I went in with dual gatlings and the giga missle. I depleted his health the first time but the second time it came back and I was too beatdown from his attacks to get him down again. I've been thinking about trying laserblades and pile drivers. When he charges you to do a PA bomb you have a few seconds before it goes off to hit him. He's weak against KE.

Jrs3000

Was disappointed by the lack of players in V but am hoping that opening regional divisions and ai companions help with that. Downloading off psn right now.

So far it's really active. The new world map shows when battles happen an who wins. I see matches going on every minute all times of the day I play. Since the servers are global it should stay alive alot longer.

KDR_11k

I've been thinking of how to beat him. I went in with dual gatlings and the giga missle. I depleted his health the first time but the second time it came back and I was too beatdown from his attacks to get him down again. I've been thinking about trying laserblades and pile drivers. When he charges you to do a PA bomb you have a few seconds before it goes off to hit him. He's weak against KE.

Also after the Assault Armor blast his Primal Armor takes a while to come back and he's immobilized, perfect for pumping him full of lead. I just need to figure out how to survive the AA blasts...

How did you get a Giga Missile?

IIRC the Mass Blade did over 100k damage per hit but I guess you won't unlock that without beating mission 10.

KDR_11k

I think it's much better. The weapon arms add some new approaches (especially the missile ones since using missiles as primary weapons wasn't really feasible in 5) and the online missions are much better designed: You don't fight the defensive layouts outside of AC vs AC battles, the missions provide their own layouts and often also include the regular mook enemies from the story missions. The defenses and mooks you fight also vary based on the objective, e.g. a harrass goal will have mooks protecting supply helicopters while a hack mission will place really heavy defenses and a "kill all defenses" mission uses only a small number of turrets.

The A08 Venom arms (got them from a supply crate...) seem pretty useful against the boss. They're 3 round burst (6k KE) sniper cannons with manual aim and no ready stance needed.

kn1ves24

Hello AC-Gaf!

So after browsing through this thread I am interested in picking this up, problem is I've never played an AC game outside of briefly playing AC2 on the PS2 for like an hour.

My question is, should I try one of the older games first before spending $50 dollars on a game I may end up not liking? Out of the prior games which one should I try to get? Four Answer seems to pretty popular but ACV is relatively cheap now too. So I'm looking for suggestions. Platform doesn't really matter, I have them all (360,PS3,PSP/Vita,PS2,etc)

KDR_11k

Hello AC-Gaf!

So after browsing through this thread I am interested in picking this up, problem is I've never played an AC game outside of briefly playing AC2 on the PS2 for like an hour.

My question is, should I try one of the older games first before spending $50 dollars on a game I may end up not liking? Out of the prior games which one should I try to get? Four Answer seems to pretty popular but ACV is relatively cheap now too. So I'm looking for suggestions. Platform doesn't really matter, I have them all (360,PS3,PSP/Vita,PS2,etc)

Well, AC V is the closest to this one in gameplay though if you can get for Answer it's better than V IMO (especially due to the Arms Fort fights).

Jrs3000

Also after the Assault Armor blast his Primal Armor takes a while to come back and he's immobilized, perfect for pumping him full of lead. I just need to figure out how to survive the AA blasts...

How did you get a Giga Missile?

IIRC the Mass Blade did over 100k damage per hit but I guess you won't unlock that without beating mission 10.

Well I'm using a Med that's pretty quick. When he charges me to do the blast I just back pedal while boosting.

I have all the ultimate weapons from V. I imported data. I shot him twice with the giga missle and it only took off 50k. I didn't pay attention to if he had his shield up but taking time to charge it up and everything I fired it when I could.

I'm thinking the best way is to get a UNAC with a UW to attack and sniper canons to unload him. Save your UW for his second set of health.

Naked Lunch

This game is crazy intimidating - even for someone who has played almost all the ACs. So much stuff in the menus alone. Menus/sub menus everywhere. Im still discovering new stuff in the menus days later.

The online seems very active - the combining of the regions is obviously a big reason for this improvement. Some total strangers joined my team and we played a couple co-ops and vs battles.

This game is so different from all other online games out there, co-op on a normal mission one minute, vs AC battle the next - I appreciate that its trying new things. The quality level is very high for an Armored Core game - any slight fans of the series should really check this one out.

KDR_11k

To answer my earlier question, the ability to use CIWS is a level 4 shoulder weapon chip.

EDIT: Wow, the supply crates are showering me with Kashiwagis (lascannon weapon arms).
EDIT2: In addition to my own WAB-123 I've put an AS missile arm on my UNAC, that really deals with people who just take a ton of tank UNACs with them. The WAB-123 especially will brutalize anyone with insufficient CE defense (I think quads are the only legs with high CE def?) and the AS will likely vaporize light ACs. I'm currently using the 123 on a light reverse joint AC (leaves me with nothing but a KE rifle as sidearms), handily staying out of range of most enemies while preparing my missile barrages. Unfortunately I suck at aiming with the sniper cannon arms or I would bring those :p
EDIT3: Figured out how to switch teams :p

Jrs3000

The PA is definitely extremely powerful, my A08 Venom cannot do any damage when it's up.

I've beaten him twice already with rifles. I used a high ke def medium ac. I side stepped his barrage of missles easily and unloaded on him with the high capacity rifles. It will take a while and you will take a beating. I'm not sure how I'm going to S rank this battle though the UW you get make up for it. Sell them and you get 250k a piece.

KDR_11k

Sell them and you get 250k a piece.

Do you get those once per win or are they gone for good/must be rebought if you sell them?

As far as money sources, I was running a lot of normal missions and next time I checked my workshop I had 3 million in the bank. Only the trivial raid missions with no enemy players actually charge you expenses (and as long as you make sure to grab the crates you'll easily make enough to cover the expense of running three UNACs with you plus get a ton of gear pieces, including ones you are not cleared to buy at the store yet), anything against ACs has expenses covered by your faction so it's a guaranteed and fun income stream.

EDIT:

1. Me and some UNACs crushed a 5 man team (ACVD Gamers) without losses of our own but for some reason the debriefing said "abnormal mission end" and the match didn't count. Would almost have gained ESWAT a whole rank!
2. I hate map boundaries, when going backwards with a fast AC you can go from not seeing any warning to out of bounds with one boost. Already died a few times to that crap.
3. F### the Pask Field map, visibility is roughly zero there and Venide is making me defend that POS all the time. Let the other guys have it if they want it so bad.

Top Bottom