• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development officially renewed for season 5 on Netflix

gutshot

The Bluths are returning to Netflix.

The streaming giant has finally confirmed that it's ordered a fifth season of the cult comedy. Creator Mitchell Hurwitz and the entire series regular cast — including Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi, David Cross and Alia Shawkat — will return for the new episodes, which will premiere in 2018.

The announcement comes a week after Bateman tweeted that he had closed a deal to star in more episodes of the show. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter at the time that Hurwitz's deal was done weeks ago and that the writers room had already started up.

Arrested Development originally ran on Fox from 2003-2006, and won an Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. The streamer first brought back the comedy in May 2013. The entire nine-person ensemble returned for season four, which consisted of 15 episodes. At the time, Hurwitz said that the fourth season was just the beginning of the show's second act.

“In talks with Netflix we all felt that that stories about a narcissistic, erratically behaving family in the building business -- and their desperate abuses of power -- are really underrepresented on TV these days,” said Hurwitz. “I am so grateful to them and to 20th TV for making this dream of mine come true in bringing the Bluths, George Sr., Lucille and the kids; Michael, Ivanka, Don Jr., Eric, George-Michael, and who am I forgetting, oh Tiffany. Did I say Tiffany? — back to the glorious stream of life.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

-griffy-

Banned
I am so grateful to them and to 20th TV for making this dream of mine come true in bringing the Bluths, George Sr., Lucille and the kids; Michael, Ivanka, Don Jr., Eric, George-Michael, and who am I forgetting, oh Tiffany. Did I say Tiffany? — back to the glorious stream of life.
This is good.

cr0w

Old Member
Hopefully they'll actually have the cast together this time instead of the way they shot season 4. It was an absolute chore to get through.

Season 4 was a little rough, but I still enjoyed it by the end.

Very excited to see what they do with Season 5, and I hope the cast has more free time to actually film together.

acevans2

I'd love to get an update on that recut Season 4 w/ new narration. I definitely believe there's more potential in the content there with proper editing.

Season 4 was a little rough, but I still enjoyed it by the end.

Very excited to see what they do with Season 5, and I hope the cast has more free time to actually film together.

yeah the way season 4 played out was great but episode to episode it wasn't great.

loved it by the end though.

Servbot24

Banned
Season 4 was their worst season but was still much better than most shows. I'm in. Please have the cast actually on set together though.

Sapiens

Season 4 was far too hindered by the cast availability thing. I wonder if they'll be able to write stories that involve more than 2 characters on screen this time.

daveo42

Banned
Hopefully they can get the entire cast in one spot for more than a few minutes over the entire filming schedule this time.

Lunar15

I'd almost rather them add new characters if it meant they could have everyone in every episode throughout the season rather than doing the weird setup from season 4.

Redd

I hope Michael goes back to being the only somewhat sane Bluth. Felt he went full Bluth in the 4th season. Leave the nutso to the rest of the cast.

Blader

I wonder if Hurwitz is still working on that alternate cut of S4, with the stories rearranged into chronological order.

Jazzem

Hopefully they'll actually have the cast together this time instead of the way they shot season 4. It was an absolute chore to get through.

Yup, the show's pacing suffered terribly for that, despite s4 having some good moments and even whole episodes (namely Gob's). Here's hoping that's improved for s5 aye

Haters gon hate, but season 4 still had it.

Cannot wait for more, whether the formula is closer to 1-3 or 4. In the end, the writing, acting, and narration is what makes this show so great.

orava

I hope they change the format a bit. The jumping around in different time frames was really confusing and annoying in the last season.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
They need some discipline with the pacing this time around. Season 4 let mildly to not at all gags go on FOREVER. The silliness AD trades in works best when it overwhelms you and no joke is allowed to last too long. People loved that you could discover new jokes on every rewatch.

Looking forward to this! Season 4 was great, it just needed to be watched as a whole in order to make sense. Way better than season 3 for example, which suffered from the mid-season cancellation.

gutshot

Official AD Twitter account seems to be implying that the cast won't be having their own episodes in the new season:

4wayQTCh.jpg

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Awesome news.

Man, you can't have a AD thread without bitching about S4. I hated that shit too but geez.

Top Bottom