• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development officially renewed for season 5 on Netflix

Official AD Twitter account seems to be implying that the cast won't be having their own episodes in the new season:

4wayQTCh.jpg

Thank god if so. S4 had its share of great moments, and it was certainly a fascinating experiment in non-chronological serialized narrative (particularly for a comedy), but I don't think anyone was really clamoring for another season along those lines.

Timeaisis

Cool.

Here's hoping the cast has more availability this time. You could tell in season four the writers were struggling to find a way to tell a coherent story while still hitting good comedy beats without a consistent cast. I didn't think it was terrible, but it definitely wasn't that great. They did the best with what they had, I suppose.

Good to see everyone returning, though.

Ristifer

Yeah, the tagline on the AD twitter about "This time, the Bluths are all together" pretty much makes me think this is all about the ensemble cast.

Either way, I'm pumped!

I couldn't even make it through season 4. Hope this one's better.

Maybe I should go back and try to finish it up actually, I keep hearing it gets better by the end.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
This season is going to be 100% trump/russia themed jokes, isn't it?

I'm kinda pumped for that.
That's where the current zeitgeist is.
I wonder where they take the season. They were going to parody Making of a Murderer but the true crime trend has cooled off.

hampig

I really do hope they keep the characters all together. It didn't work with each character having their own episodes.

Jigorath

Banned
Neat.

Official AD Twitter account seems to be implying that the cast won't be having their own episodes in the new season:

4wayQTCh.jpg

I don't know how they're going to have the cast all together given their wildly different schedules. Tons of green screen again?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Eh, didn't care for Season 4 as much once the initial excitement of new episodes wore off.

I marathoned the series with my wife, who had never seen it before, but we didn't even end up finishing Season 4 because it felt so off.

Snagret

I think they did the best they could given the limitations with the cast of S4, but it was really playing against the strengths of the show. AD works best when all of the characters are swirling around a central point and bouncing off of each other in the process. Season 4 just feels a little empty without that (even if they tried to recapture the feeling by retroactively connecting the storylines in the last coiple of eposodes).

Considering that Season 3 also largely suffered from production troubles, it's about time the show got one season with a bit more breathing room to really go back to what made the first two seasons so fantastic and unique.

I'm totally down for a season 5.

Ristifer

I think they did the best they could given the limitations with the cast of S4, but it was really playing against the strengths of the show. AD works best when all of the characters are swirling around a central point and bouncing off of each other in the process. Season 4 just feels a little empty without that (even if they tried to recapture the feeling by retroactively connecting the storylines in the last coiple of eposodes).

Considering that Season 3 also largely suffered from production troubles, it's about time the show got one season with a bit more breathing room to really go back to what made the first two seasons so fantastic and unique.

I'm totally down for a season 5.
Well said.

Blader

It's done but he needs to sign a deal with someone to release/air it.

Why wouldn't it just be released on Netflix?

edit: reading more about the re-edit, I hadn't realized he also cut down the episodes into 22 minutes each, either. That would make a huge difference. The 30-40 minute episode length of S4 was one of my biggest complaints of that season, and I think the source of all its other problems.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Happy it's coming back but I really hope they have the whole cast properly booked for the whole shoot this time. I think writing around availability was mostly responsible for the luke warm reaction season 4 got.

4wayQTCh.jpg

Thank fuck.

Like i still somewhat enjoyed S4 but to me what made the show was the interactions and insanity happening between the characters. Doesn´t work for me that well when entire episodes are focused on (almost just ) single characters.

If they´re really together again it will be the greatest thing.

Top Bottom