• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Just finished watching the rest of the season, I stopped around episode 5 for a few weeks and now ran through the rest of it yesterday. It was great, although I feel like I've missed so much stuff that I will realize on rewatch. It's so dense which I love, I want to rewatch it again now.

I prefer the older format of the series more rather than episodes focused on the individual, but it was still good. I also didn't like Ron Howard's narration overlapping certain lines in the show, sometimes it was the same line so it didn't matter but other times they were different and I wanted to hear what the characters were saying. That annoyed me.

The George Sr. episodes were the weakest I thought, the George Michael and Michael ones the strongest. The constant passive aggressiveness between them was fucking hilarious. Tobias' little swing dance, 'hello darkness my old friend'.

What does gaf think about it overall? Any interesting links to interviews or hidden stuff?

TUSR

Banned
Any news of that special soundtrack they're making? I need it straight into my veins.

Also, to all your Arrested Development fans, the soundtrack has begun the first stages of production. Thanks to everyone’s input on REDDIT and this homepage, a soundtrack is being put together for release within the next few months.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just finished watching the rest of the season, I stopped around episode 5 for a few weeks and now ran through the rest of it yesterday. It was great, although I feel like I've missed so much stuff that I will realize on rewatch. It's so dense which I love, I want to rewatch it again now.

I prefer the older format of the series more rather than episodes focused on the individual, but it was still good. I also didn't like Ron Howard's narration overlapping certain lines in the show, sometimes it was the same line so it didn't matter but other times they were different and I wanted to hear what the characters were saying. That annoyed me.

The George Sr. episodes were the weakest I thought, the George Michael and Michael ones the strongest. The constant passive aggressiveness between them was fucking hilarious. Tobias' little swing dance, 'hello darkness my old friend'.

What does gaf think about it overall? Any interesting links to interviews or hidden stuff?

GAF, or this thread at least, is generally super positive on the new season. Starts slow, becomes awesome, is different but still good, seems to be consensus. Basically how you sound.

I'm too lazy but the past 5-10 pages have good interviews and such from post-release. Hurwitz had a good interview on Fresh Air, and there's a really good review that has a positive yet smartly critical take on the season.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This was posted on the Arrested Development Facebook.
cYHQ3UO.jpg

Same! #loveislove

Disgusting. I had no idea this show was run by godless liberals.
<3

Tobias: "You look how I feel..?"

Gob: "Gay?!"

That foreshadowing. lol.

Also, I noticed the scene where Ron tells Michael that he wanted GM's signature and not George's is a throwback to the "You're the father, he is the son" scene with Steve Holt and Gob. heh.

I finished the season a couple of days ago. It was okay. Definitely not as good as the first three seasons.

I don't know why they made gob gay. I didn't get that. George Sr episodes were awful. Wish buster was in it more. George Michael and Michael episodes were the best. Best joke for me was the vms gm and Michael were leaving each other about the plane that landed on the highway. That got me

Aske

Wow people really hate Debrie. I didn't think she was that great, but I didn't think she was horrible.

I didn't care for her, but feel she served her purpose on the show. I'd have liked to have seen more of Oscar's friends; they seemed rather underutilized by comparison.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I didn't care for her, but feel she served her purpose on the show. I'd have liked to have seen more of Oscar's friends; they seemed rather underutilized by comparison.

I think there was only so much you can do with Heartfire, but I liked the dude from Mad Men.

Moved cities to continue my education and not spending much time on the internet. Mostly because I don't have my computer chair yet.

lol, totally hear you on the chair thing. I need mah comfy chair xD

I just got a beta invite for Final Fantasy XIV PS3, so I'm pretty stoked to check it out.

dLMN8R

Finally finished this after opting to re-watch all 3 first seasons first. Man this was so good. The last 5-6 episodes were amazing in how they stitched everything together from the first episodes. Maeby's was just incredible.

Thought the ending was perfect in a way. Seems like George Michael's development was suddenly not arrested anymore :p

One question I had - other than the awful desert scenes, I didn't notice any green screen at all. Anyone have some images of where it was actually used? If no one had mentioned it was necessary I wouldn't have noticed it at all except for the desert (and that was more because of awful effects than simply green screen)

Finally finished this after opting to re-watch all 3 first seasons first. Man this was so good. The last 5-6 episodes were amazing in how they stitched everything together from the first episodes. Maeby's was just incredible.

Thought the ending was perfect in a way. Seems like George Michael's development was suddenly not arrested anymore :p

One question I had - other than the awful desert scenes, I didn't notice any green screen at all. Anyone have some images of where it was actually used? If no one had mentioned it was necessary I wouldn't have noticed it at all except for the desert (and that was more because of awful effects than simply green screen)

Best examples would be Barry at the Coast Guard office, At Lucille's Trial when she's having the back and forth with Lucille 2, Liza is green screened. also When Buster overslept and is running down the pier to his mother's trial, that's green, with the Queen Mary in the background tipped over.

dLMN8R

Best examples would be Barry at the Coast Guard office, At Lucille's Trial when she's having the back and forth with Lucille 2, Liza is green screened. also When Buster overslept and is running down the pier to his mother's trial, that's green, with the Queen Mary in the background tipped over.

Do you remember which episode that coast guard scene is?

NeoUltima

Only two episodes in so far but...it doesn't seem to have the same magic as the other seasons. Hoping it gets better as it goes on.

Gob 2 is pretty much the best episode ever. Future watches brings everything together better.

Think of this as the calm before the storm, it's going to bring us something even better. Still, I love season 4 for what it is.

Aske

Gob 2 is pretty much the best episode ever. Future watches brings everything together better.

Think of this as the calm before the storm, it's going to bring us something even better. Still, I love season 4 for what it is.

For me, best episode is Gob 1. Just glorious. But the George Michael stuff comes close. I think his OS might be the highlight of the season. But Gob's first episode is relentless. It almost feels like a standalone movie.

For me, best episode is Gob 1. Just glorious. But the George Michael stuff comes close. I think his OS might be the highlight of the season. But Gob's first episode is relentless. It almost feels like a standalone movie.

We're definitely in agreement Gob episodes are best. I just love that we finally see the Bead Bee Farm!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm on Episode 8 and I want to quit. There are virtually no laughs. The Gob episode was the most disappointing. I can't believe how downhill this went.

At this point, I will probably finish it when I have to do the dishes and there's nothing else.

I get the impression most critics watched the season with beer goggles or something. The pacing doesn't work. The punchlines don't hit. It's a giant misfire.

I'm on Episode 8 and I want to quit. There are virtually no laughs. The Gob episode was the most disappointing. I can't believe how downhill this went.

At this point, I will probably finish it when I have to do the dishes and there's nothing else.

I get the impression most critics watched the season with beer goggles or something. The pacing doesn't work. The punchlines don't hit. It's a giant misfire.

Actually most critics seemed to hate the show when it first came on, although maybe their opinion has changed since then.

Actually most critics seemed to hate the show when it first came on, although maybe their opinion has changed since then.

A couple knee-jerk reactions, due to binge watching and no rewatching. Several places also gave it high ratings, while some that originally slammed it, went back and fixed their rating as the whole picture is better painting upon a rewatch.

We're all in agreement on we can't wait for the Family to be reunited though. Still a great season.

Just finished the new season and am thinking about watching it again. I liked the new season but still wish it was faster paced like the previous seasons.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

ivysaur12

Banned
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/netflix-in-talks-for-second-season-of-arrested-development-1200561810/

This Bluths will be back, this according to producer Brian Grazer.

Netflix is currently in negotiations for a second season of &#8220;Arrested Development,&#8221; Grazer told Bloomberg on Thursday.

Another season was never seen as a sure thing but indication that actual talks are happening is good news for comedy fans. Netflix was likely encouraged by strong sampling for the new season that unspooled in May, which CEO Reed Hastings indicated performed well.

&#8220;We had very high expectation from the beginning for &#8216;Arrested Development&#8217; because it had a well-known brand, and we were thrilled with the response and it&#8217;s been huge, just as we hoped,&#8221; Hastings told CNBC in May.

Netflix has yet to respond to an inquiry for comment.

The fast-growing Internet-video subscription service resurrected &#8220;Arrested Development,&#8221; which aired on Fox from 2003-06, earlier this year, identifying it as an attractive property to generate buzz and add subscribers.

&#8220;We had very high expectation from the beginning for &#8216;Arrested Development&#8217; because it had a well-known brand,&#8221; Netflix CEO Reed Hastings recently said.

More to come&#8230;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom