• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

AmuroChan

If they go down the free stuff part. Helldivers 2 players will likely get some free premium currency and they will got it a day. But the most likely part is that they revoke the decision with Helldivers 2 but make sure than any future gaas games is ready for account link from day one.

You could be right. I think their intention was to do that with HD2 on day 1, but for reasons unknown maybe they ran into technical issues or otherwise where this wasn't ready on day 1.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Free Foamstars for everyone!

Excited Happy Birthday GIF

Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Raven117

You want me to list every single country that does not allow the creation of PSN accounts? The PSN accounts that are now going to be *required* to play a game on another platform?

Or are you just talking out your console warring ass?

It isn't a small number and many people don't want to risk having their account permanently closed because of breaking TOS. If it wasn't against TOS and you could just make an account in any country you like without risk, I would not think this would be an issue. Sadly that just isn't the case here.

It is against the TOS anyway and you are at risk of having your account banned.

You underestimate the amount of folks that live in places like the Phillipines who play these games. It is an unneeded change to a game that has been selling extraordinarly well. If Sony wanted to make PSN accounts creatable in those other countries, or change their TOS, then I would have no issue. That isn't the case though.'

It is against TOS and can earn you an account ban.

I play with folks in this game who do live in those countries. Fighting against idiotic choices and injustices shouldn't require you to live in said country. That would be retarded.

Personally if you have access to PSN and don't want to link? Then yes, they are being whiny babies. I am more against this change specifically for the reasons that a good number of folks can't make said accounts without risking permanent bans.

If you put in over 300 hours into a game, get to rank 60+, you won't want to risk all that progress lost.
I’m not console warring. Has Sony not provided a solution for people that can’t have a psn in their country but bought the game in steam. Like you know… for a fact… right now… they can’t play the game?

Edit: Seems they are getting refunds?

Last edited:

Fabieter

You could be right. I think their intention was to do that with HD2 on day 1, but for reasons unknown maybe they ran into technical issues or otherwise where this wasn't ready on day 1.

It's probably to late either way but revoke it, having a big badass update ready and give the next warbound for free ro anyone who didn't get a refund.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

So, seems this is the list of countries where you can't make a PSN account:

GMrj4YvXsAAPbKj.png

In case you're wondering, yes, the 💙💙💙💙💙 is exactly the word you're thinking and yes there is a country with that name.

Last edited:

Twinblade

I think most pc gamers are normal people who won't find creating a psn account that big of a deal. anymore than they found creating ubisoft, WB, microsoft, Rockstar accounts a big deal. But gamers need something to be upset at this week after the stellar blade censorship thing was a bust, so here we have it.

Sounds like a normal gamer with a sex life.

AmuroChan

I’m not console warring. Has Sony not provided a solution for people that can’t have a psn in their country but bought the game in steam. Like you know… for a fact… right now… they can’t play the game?

That's not a real issue. The Philippines do not have PSN accounts natively, but we have many tens of thousands of PlayStation gamers here. When you ask PS support or go to their FAQ, they just tell you to either create a Singapore or HK PSN account. I've been using different PSN accounts for different regions since the inception of the PSN and have never had issues.

Zathalus

What's the review bombing campaign at and what percentage of those people do we think would request a refund?
Next to zero effort to leave a negative review. Takes far more willpower to refund the game you love playing. Some will take that leap, but I'm sure the far majority will continue to play.

Twinblade

That's not a real issue. The Philippines do not have PSN accounts natively, but we have many tens of thousands of PlayStation gamers here. When you ask PS support or go to their FAQ, they just tell you to either create a Singapore or HK PSN account. I've been using different PSN accounts for different regions since the inception of the PSN and have never had issues.
They could just probably use VPN of a country that has psn access.

Raven117

Yeah… I figured as much. Thanks for the info.

Mozzarella

I dont think reviews will go back to positive ever again, this game is cooked, i dont think it'll get the nom for GOTY anymore.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

You don't even need VPN, and in fact, the VPN is what gets people into trouble because according to the TOS you're not supposed to use a VPN. When I'm in the Philippines and I log into my US PSN account, it just goes to the US PSN store. No need for VPN, no need to change the geographic location in system settings, etc. It just works.

The whole fear mongering of you're going to get banned if you use another region's PSN while not being there makes no logical sense to begin with. If I have a US PSN account and then I take my Vita with me on a 7-country European tour (which I've done), Sony isn't going to force me to create PSN accounts for each of those countries or threaten to ban me. I used my US PSN account in all of those countries connected to just the local hotel wifi and there were no issues. If the banning problem was true, how many of us would've been banned multiple times already because we've taken our Vita with us on vacation to other countries?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Next to zero effort to leave a negative review. Takes far more willpower to refund the game you love playing. Some will take that leap, but I'm sure the far majority will continue to play.

Exactly. I'd go so far as to guess that people bored with the game would be far more likely to use it as an excuse to refund the game than we'd see people asking for refunds out of principle.

near

Gold Member
You don't even need VPN, and in fact, the VPN is what gets people into trouble because according to the TOS you're not supposed to use a VPN. When I'm in the Philippines and I log into my US PSN account, it just goes to the US PSN store. No need for VPN, no need to change the geographic location in system settings, etc. It just works.

The whole fear mongering of you're going to get banned if you use another region's PSN while not being there makes no logical sense to begin with. If I have a US PSN account and then I take my Vita with me on a 7-country European tour (which I've done), Sony isn't going to force me to create PSN accounts for each of those countries or threaten to ban me. I used my US PSN account in all of those countries connected to just the local hotel wifi and there were no issues. If the banning problem was true, how many of us would've been banned multiple times already because we've taken our Vita with us on vacation to other countries?
Just so I understand, PSN isn't banned in the Philippines though, right? Because it is listed under Playstation's selected countries for PSN. Your circumstances are not similar to that of a resident in China, Latvia or Egypt?

Mr Moose

Last edited:

Twinblade

Since it's that easy, those virgins shouldn't be bitching about it and just do it like you said how.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Just so I understand, PSN isn't banned in the Philippines though, right? Because it is listed under Playstation's selected countries for PSN. Your circumstances are not similar to that of a resident in China, Latvia or Egypt?

I can't speak for Latvia or Egypt, but China's situation is that gaming consoles have to be region locked there. So even though you can buy PS consoles and games there, I cannot use my US PSN account there. I can however use my HK PSN account since that's under the same region.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Why does it matter what's banned in China? Sony sold a product on Steam globally knowing that their PSN services aren't available globally. They basically screwed over every player who bought the game on Steam outside of the PSN coverage area, China is just one country and PSN only officially supports around 70 countries.

Ideally Sony has to lift PSN requirements for those affected in countries where PSN is not available.

Well, and that might happen, but people already jumping into conclusions that it won't, without any information about it.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

You don't need a VPN to create a PSN from a different country.

I created a US PSN account today to prove someone wrong in this forum (I'm not in the US)

Go to psn create account
select united states as country
google zip code from anywhere in US (i chose miami)
input first result
use email password
click over a few boxes.

There you go, new PSN account.

AmuroChan

I created a US PSN account today to prove someone wrong in this forum (I'm not in the US)

Go to psn create account
input first result
use email password
click over a few boxes.

Yep, it's that simple. Also, I see a lot of people here conflating countries with no native PSN support (like the Philippines) with PSN must be banned there. That is in fact, not true at all. PSN is readily accessible in the Philippines, you just have to use a PSN account from another region. And no, you do not need a VPN.

Red5

Go to psn create account
input first result
use email password
click over a few boxes.

You need a VPN for countries where PSN is banned, and using a VPN would probably get your account banned. China has it banned and China has a large Steam userbase.

Three

They don't even need a VPN. There's just so much misinformation going around with people trying to make it a bigger deal than it is that it's become difficult to weed out the bullshit. Nobody will listen to reason though because they're too busy raging.

Creating a PSN account doesn't check where you actually reside. These "unsupported countries" are only unsupported for making payments from those countries to buy PSN content. So you can create an account from any country in Africa and select "South Africa" and you'll have a PSN account. You can live in Angola and choose "US" it doesn't matter unless you want to add payment details to buy something on PSN that is where your payment method would be 'unsupported', nothing else.

It's not banned in those countries either (except maybe China). The only difference between Latvia, Egypt and the Philippines I think is that the Philippines can still buy stuff from PSN when they select HK or Singapore as their region.

So, seems this is the list of countries where you can't make a PSN account:

GMrj4YvXsAAPbKj.png

In case you're wondering, yes, the 💙💙💙💙💙 is exactly the word you're thinking and yes there is a country with that name.
All those countries can create a PSN account.
For shits and giggles though check out where the 0.0% of steam usage happens to be:

Now compare that to where the complaints are coming from mostly. I doubt HD2 is disproportionately from those 0.0% countries. Funny there's countries like Sudan in the list too considering they can't even use Steam at all, to run into a HD2 issue.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

You know when I specifically called out certain NeoGaf PlayStation owners as a bunch of children who get so enraged at the meer suggestion that their behemoth corporation could do something bad.

You, your it, on the plus side it means I can post this.

JEB3Wpi.jpeg

aMF1tUB.jpeg

Your move Captain Sonyneverwrongfanboy

Mr Moose

You know when I specifically called out certain NeoGaf PlayStation owners as a bunch of children who get so enraged at the meer suggestion that their behemoth corporation could do something bad.

JEB3Wpi.jpeg

aMF1tUB.jpeg

That's Chinese.

Katatonic

Shocking that Sony let so much time lapse without all those new MAU’s. Heads would be rolling if I was in charge.

AmuroChan

You need a VPN for countries where PSN is banned, and using a VPN would probably get your account banned. China has it banned and China has a large Steam userbase.

Non-China PSN accounts are banned in China, not native Chinese PSN accounts. The reason being that game consoles are region locked there. Think about it, there are Chinese devs creating games for the PS5. How the hell would Chinese PS5 players download the game or get patches if PSN is banned there?

There's literally a Trophy Leaderboard for Chinese PSN users on PSNProfiles.

fXXz1J8.jpeg

Guilty_AI

All those countries can create a PSN account.
With risks and caveats you mean
For shits and giggles though check out where the 0.0% of steam usage happens to be:

Now compare that to where the complaints are coming from mostly. I doubt HD2 is disproportionately from those 0.0% countries. Funny there's countries like Sudan in the list too considering they can't even use Steam at all, to run into a HD2 issue.
I've checked a bunch of them and many of the countries in the list still have data usage on the terabytes. And as i explained earlier, i see no issue with some players complaining on behalf of others on a very real issue.

Three

China has the ban on VPNs but China can select HK (Hong Kong) and it will work even there.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

JEB3Wpi.jpeg

aMF1tUB.jpeg

You can resize your big ass images so you don't clog the threads.

I'm not mad and I don't give a shit about Sony. I do most of my gaming on PC funnily enough. You came in here posting that you need to submit your id to create an account and tried to pass it off as a general experience, its not. There is enough reason to be mad at Sony for doing it without spreading misinformation.

The banned user is chinese as far as I know and the chinese goverment is extremely strict with this type of thing. That user(s) is 100% entitled to a refund and they should offer a solution to those located in those regions. For those that are located in regions that ARE supported, the solution is simple. Create/link the account or refund the game on steam. This is also a totally different issue than the one I replied to you about.

I'll say it again just to make sure you we are clear, Sony is in the wrong here for the way they are enforcing this and I don't agree with this move but they are not suddenly banning everyone who has a PSN account from a different region.

Also It's "You're it" not "your" and no, I don't recall you saying anything because I don't go around reading all your posts. It's really not that deep.

Wtf we are censoring the name of a COUNTRY now?! WTF?!
It's pretty pathetic.

Etymology​

The name comes from the Niger River which flows through the west of the country. The origin of the river's name is uncertain. Alexandrian geographer Ptolemy wrote descriptions of the wadi Gir (in neighbouring modern Algeria) and the Ni-Gir ("Lower Gir") to the south, possibly referring to the Niger River.[18]The modern spelling Niger was first recorded by Berber scholar Leo Africanus in 1550,[19] possibly derived from the Tuareg phrase (e)gărăw-n-gărăwăn meaning "river of rivers".[20] There is broad consensus among linguists that it does not derive from the Latin niger ("black") as was first erroneously believed.[18] The standard pronunciation in English is /niːˈʒɛər/, while in some Anglophone media /ˈnaɪdʒər/ is also used.

Sleepwalker

Wtf we are censoring the name of a COUNTRY now?! WTF?!
I think this list is made by a user on steam forums and it's not a list by actual Steam.

I don't think any official lists would censor Niger just because the name is similar to a problematic word. If they do, it's pretty stupid.

Last edited:

Three

With risks and caveats you mean
Mostly imaginary risks and caveats. I have a Japanese account since 2010. No problem. Neither has anybody else had problems since its inception.

Say for the sake of argument that PSN account is banned even, what exactly did you risk or lose? Did you buy games on the account? no. You've lost nothing.
I've checked a bunch of them and many of the countries in the list still have data usage on the terabytes. And as i explained earlier, i see no issue with some players complaining on behalf of others on a very real issue.
Look at the Percentage of global Steam Traffic. Let's be generous and say that 0.0% is 0.099%. Apply that percentage to the HD2 population and you'll see where I'm going with this.
Wow Terabytes! massive right? That's like the country downloading your whole hardrive of games in network traffic! You think that's big for an entire nation? The UK is 41 petabytes.

Last edited:
gxuSSGq.png

58k is kind of insane. Hard to say how many of those genuinely care about the issue, and how many of those are actually affected. Doubt we'll ever get some real clarity on refund numbers unless AH/Sony make a statement at the end of this all.

The fact this is all happening right before their fiscal results later in the month is just insanity.

(1): A sane corporation would've rolled out the PSN account thing as an opt-in feature for those interested, and then maybe make it mandatory for future releases. Then trick those who opted out with Helldivers 2 by tying some cool bonuses to a PSN account, encouraging them to opt-in.

(2): An insane company driven by shareholder greed would do exactly what Sony's done with this rollout of PSN mandatory account tie-in for the game. All of this bad publicity and PR (which I'm sure, some compounding on the Stellar Blade nontroversy and even the Riot Games Vanguard disaster) is completely deserved for them chasing the PC audience so fervently and pushing a mandatory requirement to puff up their numbers (when they already HAD much better numbers in actual sales copies!).

(3): A brilliant 4D Chess company might be doing all of this just to have an out from a multiplat strategy that was going to make their own consoles redundant in the long-term , so they could get back to what was clearly working for them prior to such a jarring change & disconnect during the late part of the pandemic.

My (current) Level of Confidence in SIE being one of the three:

1: 5%

2: 85%

3: 10%

It depends what the tradeoff is. If they lose 20K in sales but gain a significant amount of new PSN accounts that they can then tout in their next earnings call, I think the 20K is a small price to pay. Remember what these corporations' priorities are. For Sony/PS, it's their fiduciary duty to their shareholders, then their core customer base the PlayStation gamers, then PC gamers is all the way at the bottom.

This right here is what's going to friggin' kill them sooner rather than later. A lot of their shareholders are either snakes or idiots, or both.

Maybe SIE should try spinning off and going private. If things get to that point :/

Last edited:

squarealex

IMG-0417.jpg

Valve issuing refunds for people with 200+ hours in the game. Bless them. 🫡
I hope this crying diva now complain when a new launcher or new 3rd party account is needed..

But hey, they all returning and create a PSN account when Demon's Souls Remake or Bloodborne Remake will releasing on PC. (And gonna repick HD2 and sayin, yeah, but this time is different ya know), pathetic

Top Bottom