• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Fabieter

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

This outrage is getting more and more ridiculous :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Okay this is mentally ill.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Never said they shouldn't, but fake refunds, asking Valve to get involved, people not from those regions getting mad. It's irrational.
None of this is “irrational”.

Now they believe an associate comms manager knows anything about discussions (not negotiations, they're not hostages), with Sony.
Community managers are the first in line between the player and the company. Communicating with them is perfectly reasonable. No one is talking “hostages” except you. You seem to really want to make this something more than it is, to demonize those who are speaking out against this unneeded, forced change.

They have another month to overturn the decision or give instruction, just keep notifying Sony and they will give an updated FAQ about it.
The best way to ensure things change is by keeping up pressure by asking for refunds, changing reviews, etc.

Remember it's more complex than Sony just allow it, there are specific regional and governmental rules and legislation that add complexities to these things, hence the image in this thread that the UK requires an ID for you to sign up.
The game released in all these regions without issue. There is no “complexity” here. Remove the requirements to sign in to PSN. Make it optional for those who want to, give them a unique cosmetic or something. Simple as.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Vote with your wallets. Refund the game on Steam.

Yes I will do the same for all my games on steam which require third parts accounts. I will tell valve I have evidence that they have done it with this game although people knew this from the start.

daxgame

haha I love what's going on here. Just feel sorry for the devs since it ain't their fault and sony just exposed their asses.

I remember when EA started with their Origin shit. Stopped buying their games. Imagine having to create an account for every fucking company

Guilty_AI

Say for the sake of argument that PSN account is banned even, what exactly did you risk or lose? Did you buy games on the account? no. You've lost nothing.
You lose your ability to play the game
Look at the Percentage of global Steam Traffic. Let's be generous and say that 0.0% is 0.099%. Apply that percentage to the HD2 population and you'll see where I'm going with this.
Wow Terabytes! massive right? That's like the country downloading your whole hardrive of games in network traffic! You think that's big for an entire nation? The UK is 41 petabytes.
i just added 2-3 of them together and suddenly traffic was on petabytes, even bigger than some supported countries :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
What’s stupid about this whole situation is that Sony could easily get what they want if they incentivized account linking. Anytime you try to force people to do something after the fact, or try to mandate a change in behavior, most folks will immediately rebel.

Offer an exclusive, non-purchasable skin or free game currency for account linking and bam, you will have the majority of folks signing up willingly.

Fabieter

What’s stupid about this whole situation is that Sony could easily get what they want if they incentivized account linking. Anytime you try to force people to do something after the fact, or try to mandate a change in behavior, most folks will immediately rebel.

Offer an exclusive, non-purchasable skin or free game currency for account linking and bam, you will have the majority of folks signing up willingly.

Absolutely it was pretty poorly done. You can have give people choice and just manipulate them into doing it anyway. Absolutely mind boggling for a company this big and this old.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I really hope Sony doesn't back down on this and instead double down on this.

Review bombing is nothing but extortion at this point—it's my way or the highway for these spoiled children, who don't even care about employees who are hired in a studio that made a game they apparently love so much.

They bought a game without reading the requirements and are now complaining about something so insignificant. It's on them.

Extortion LOL

It's not as if they have any other avenue to voice displeasure. It's been too long to get refunds.

Sony doesnt care about the reviews as much as you do. Nor does Arrowhead.

Oppoi

Wow this game is really enough to stirr the pot in both camps! Congrats to Hiroki Totoki and the team! Big get for Sony, what a win! Hiroki Totoki is such a cool guy!

Guilty_AI

I remember a time when you didn't have to pay to play online for PlayStation games.

It was so long,....long ago.....
We used to stick it to the xbots back then, how they had to pay to play online while we played for free... where have those years gone :lollipop_crying:

Last edited:

feynoob

Game just did 180 because of 1 dumb mistake . we are witnessing history boys.

from overwhelming positive to overwhelming negative .

I think a reason they don't want to do it, is because then it'd look REALLY BAD to their PlayStation customers who already have to pay for online play (when the Steam users don't). So, Sony'd be forced to give the PlayStation owners some kind of perk, as well.

This is the problem SIE created for themselves pushing Day 1 PC for GAAS titles, knowing there's a paywall for online play on PS5 consoles unless it's a F2P game. They knew this, but went with things the way they did anyhow. So I don't feel bad for the bad optics this is giving them, nor should anyone else.

At the same time, I know there are definitely console warriors and bad faith actors taking advantage of the situation. But it's not our fault SIE rolled out the announcement the way they did. They've got tons of people looking at them like they're a straight-up villain now and Valve & Arrowhead looking like heroes in comparison. SIE used to be SOOOO much better at optics and messaging, I don't know what the actual fuc happened over the past couple of years but they need a culling and overhaul.

bender

What time is it?
What do you guys like better for an OT:

Earth Defense Force 6: Like Helldivers 2, except fun!
or
Earth Defense Force 6: PSN Account not required

lifa-cobex

If I remember correctly, paid for online was introduced with PS4 which launched Nov 2013. PS+ launched in 2010 but wasn't required for online games.
I think you're probably right. TBF i remember it being a pretty good deal back then too,
However I do remember people here on Gaf speculating the slippery slope.

They were right..... :messenger_weary:

Top Bottom