• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Article] What does next-gen mean for eSports? It's all about the controller, baby.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
But I was pub stomping in Titanfall with a controller. Mouse and keyboard isnt as good at shooters as a good controller.
Titanfall and CoD are probably the most controller-friendly FPS out there, yet it's still not true.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why not, Captain Insightful?

Well, common sense.

Are you going to sit there and expect every basketball player to wear the same socks, shoes, wristbands and headbands? No. Every football doesn't wear the same pads or helmet, shoes, and etc. Controllers are the same way. Everyone has a preference.

The guidelines are standard. They are the general "dress code" of the sport. Everything else is preference.

Amazing this has to be explained.

CryptiK

This doesn't make any sense from a competitive standpoint. The casual scene may die out from lack of variety, as it did in Battlefield and COD4, but the competitive scene is reliant on being mostly consistent. You want the talent of the players themselves to be the focal point of any competitive scene, the game should be dictated mostly by the players themselves, not by a set of changing maps and rules for the sake of 'variety'.

People have been playing the modern form of chess for near 200 years and you don't see them complaining about its lack of 'variety'. And the same can be said of pretty much any major competitive sport today.
I'm talking about other competitive games in the genre to explore. Not maps and rulesets.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I want to emphasize again that forcing everyone to use the exact same controller is not actually better for competitive balance.

Imagine if, as a very similar example, the MLB forced everyone to use the exact same glove and the exact same bat. Well, what about people with smaller hands? What about huge guys who may need a different bat than someone who is shorter?

The same applies to games. If you insist everyone use (for example) the Xbox 360 controller, then guys who are extremely skilled but who happen to have smaller hands might perform worse. There's a simple fix for this: allow them to use third party controllers, some of which may have a smaller form factor and thus allow someone with slightly smaller hands to find the perfect form factor for them.

That strikes me as a better control for skill than insisting everyone play with the exact same controller. Insisting everyone play with the exact same controller actually strikes me as the opposite; it gives a benefit to those whose hands and body happen to perfectly mold to the default, standardized controller.

also there are numerous business reasons which make PC esports far more attractive to not only peripheral, but also hardware manufacturers.

consoles are a private party. you can put your name on a pro halo player and maybe get people to buy a pair of gunnars or something. you can put your name on a dota player and push any number of peripherals and components.

what's more, these mid tier part and peripheral vendors of exactly the right size and specificity for the relatively modest but laser focused demographic that esports generates.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm talking about other competitive games in the genre to explore. Not maps and rulesets.

The underlying issue is still the same. A competitive scene thrives because it strives to better itself in those tiny increments that most people find impossible, and that comes from sticking with it across years, something that 'finding that one new title to hop to' doesn't exactly cultivate.

edit: As far as peripherals and/or custom controllers/configs went, we used to have this one rule - if the base game/control setup required two actions to perform a single in-game event (e.g. pressing and releasing a button) as long as whatever setup you used also required those two actions, it was fair game.

That ruled out things like autofire/turbo button controllers and questionable cfg scripting (e.g. CoD4 single-button reload-cancel scripts) in FPS games. And obviously any kind of aimbot/cheat. We enforced this at LAN events and everything is kosher. I don't see any competitive situation regardless of game genre where that one simple rule regarding peripherals and configs wouldn't make sense.

As a core PC gamer who's been with FPS from Doom to Quake to the original TF, (to Unreal Tournament) to CS, to VCoD, to CoD4, it's always been my pipe dream that CoD releases of the same series (e.g. MW or BO, etc) would all have added to the same base game (hey, it's the same engine after all!) the same way expansion packs in MMORPGs worked. That way the multiplayer base would have been consolidated, there might have been some semblance of a lasting competitive scene.

I think Activision should release a F2P version of CoD if they wanted to make a serious run at competitive gaming. Have one of their major studios (Raven?) build it and then continually update it afterwards. Separating it from the mainline series would allow them to target it toward a more competitive scene. And limit any monetization to cosmetic items like gun skins and different pieces for your character, but obviously nothing that would impact the way the game is played.

CryptiK

The underlying issue is still the same. A competitive scene thrives because it strives to better itself in those tiny increments that most people find impossible, and that comes from sticking with it across years, something that 'finding that one new title to hop to' doesn't exactly cultivate.

edit: As far as peripherals and/or custom controllers/configs went, we used to have this one rule - if the base game/control setup required two actions to perform a single in-game event (e.g. pressing and releasing a button) as long as whatever setup you used also required those two actions, it was fair game.

That ruled out things like autofire/turbo button controllers and questionable cfg scripting (e.g. CoD4 single-button reload-cancel scripts) in FPS games. And obviously any kind of aimbot/cheat. We enforced this at LAN events and everything is kosher. I don't see any competitive situation regardless of game genre where that one simple rule regarding peripherals and configs wouldn't make sense.
Again that's what I'm say it comes to support but variety is still needed to support the genre competition was always a good thing between two games and it works wonders for D2 and LoL.

If the controller plays like a normal controller and doesn't bind 2 actions into 1 it should be fine. Like you said in comp COD this was a huge issue and scripts, vstr's and macros were banned because it gave an unfair advantage and recently they got rid of wait binding and wep next completely in Aus for CoD4.

Uiki

That is completely false. Its the lack of support. When the features were pulled from Battlefield and COD community we all still bought it in hopes of something to come out of it. I played high level COD and BF in Australia sponsored by the likes of NVIDIA MSi CM Storm etc and I can assure you the community is there and they are still waiting. E-sports playlists mean fuck all. Demo recording and spectator are needed for various things including anti cheat. If a Dev were to balance their game have demo and spectator mode you would see growth again but they refuse to do it now they just release unfinished retread garbage.

Yeah, but it's like 1/100 of the entire player base of those games.

I played Cod competitive too (SIGH) and the scene is nowehere near substantial numbers.

I totally agree with you about those features.

todahawk

Well, common sense.

Are you going to sit there and expect every basketball player to wear the same socks, shoes, wristbands and headbands? No. Every football doesn't wear the same pads or helmet, shoes, and etc. Controllers are the same way. Everyone has a preference.

The guidelines are standard. They are the general "dress code" of the sport. Everything else is preference.

Amazing this has to be explained.

Your analogy is lacking... Controllers are the only point of contact between the game and the gamer. I think all the dude was looking for was a bit of an explanation and you're treating him with contempt. No need to talk down.

CryptiK

Yeah, but it's like 1/100 of the entire player base of those games.

I played Cod competitive too (SIGH) and the scene is nowehere near substantial numbers.

I totally agree with you about those features.
And again I will point it back to the main issue support. AAA games capture a large audience all they have to do us support the game have the features and you may see 1 out of 10 sales make their step into eSports this is why support is such a huge thing.

The CoD scene used to be at huge numbers and that died down after COD4 the only reason that happened is because all support was pulled in favor for a casual game. Both can be had.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hahaha wow D: I figured every major region already implemented similar measures back in like... 2010

(Haven't been keeping up with CoD4 lately since I departed the community. Back in my day Tobi used to cast a little bit of CoD4 with Gamestah)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Your analogy is lacking... Controllers are the only point of contact between the game and the gamer. I think all the dude was looking for was a bit of an explanation and you're treating him with contempt. No need to talk down.

Why not, Captain Insightful?

When you come calling names, you get talked down to.

Controllers may be the only point of contact but they all act the same way and do the same thing. Rules are set what you can and can not do within those controls. After that, is preference.

People like their preferences. Again, its common sense. Which isn't so common anymore...

Titanfall and CoD are probably the most controller-friendly FPS out there, yet it's still not true.

It is not impossible to own with a controller in pubs, but I would like to see it done in the competitive scene. You do not see controllers in competitive games like iRacing, Dota 2, or Street Fighter 4. Instead you see the professionals use the best peripheral for the game. For some reason, FPSs other than Counter Strike keep shunning mouse and keyboard for "balance". What they do not realize is that blocking the best way to play their genre is harming the competitiveness of the genre.

CryptiK

Hahaha wow D: I figured every major region already implemented similar measures back in like... 2010

(Haven't been keeping up with CoD4 lately since I departed the community. Back in my day Tobi used to cast a little bit of CoD4 with Gamestah)
no they had the bans in place. For vstr etc. Recently they completely removed the reload glitch and accuracy reset via modding and server commands.
Yep I was around when Toby was casting CoD and gamestah was big. Took a break and came back to Battlefield instead and joined Exile 5.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It is not impossible to own with a controller in pubs, but I would like to see it done in the competitive scene. You do not see controllers in competitive games like iRacing, Dota 2, or Street Fighter 4. Instead you see the professionals use the best peripheral for the game. For some reason, FPSs other than Counter Strike keep shunning mouse and keyboard for "balance". What they do not realize is that blocking the best way to play their genre is harming the competitiveness of the genre.
People actually use controllers in Street Fighter. Wolfkrone won majors with Viper playing on pad, Snake Eyez is the best Zangief in atleast the US and one of the hypest players right now, Smug, plays Dudley on pad, too.

Xun

Pretty much.

Nothing quite beats an FPS with a keyboard and mouse, even if certain console shooters are doing a good job.

Interesting article anyway, and it really does highlight how seriously people take eSports.

Omega

Banned
They should all be on a level playing field....don't like to play with the first party controllers? Tough. Get used to it.

Also for ps4's share function they must fix the video function because I dont get the previous 15 minutes of gameplay saved from the moment I started pushing the share button.

While we're at it, anyone above a 1.5 K/D in a tournament setting is only allowed to play with one hand

Anyone with a 2.0 has to play with their non-dominant hand

mephixto

Banned
How many eSports games do you have/had on console? How many on PC? eSports tried to be a thing on console last gen and failed apart from Fighters which really is a stem off arcade.

Main issue here is AAA games only really get huge exposure on consoles and the devs/publishers don't care enough about the eSports scene on consoles so the features aren't their. PC games that made their way to consoles lost all their features essential and needed to make a successful game for competition. Battlefield being a big offender followed by COD and its removal of dedicated servers and demo recording.

The reason competitive FPS is dying is not the community, its the developers lack of support and general lack of communication. COD2 and 4 were huge at one point, MW2 took all that away for a more consolised approach to the game and its gotten worse with every release. That was one big AAA game that was pulling views and a community because of mod tools and the basic features needed. BF series turned to trash competitive wise after 2142 The BF series was pulling $20,000 tournaments in Australia thats huge money for the community even by today's standards. Bad Company hit consoles and BC2 hit PC all the essential features gone, Spectator Mode, Demo Recording and Mod tools gone why? Because the target audience(consoles) didnt need any of that.

Unless a AAA dev pull's their finger out of their ass and realises how much money there is to be had in a competitive environment then FPS is dead. On that note how ever their is a game being made by Splash Damage(who made some amazing competitive games in the past)called Extraction a game focused on free to play and eSports so hopefully we have our saviour around the corner.

Ughhhhhh.... I think you should lower your expections to 0. ;)

Top Bottom