• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

A friend recently convinced me to play Assassin's Creed 2. I finished Assassin's Creed a long time ago and it was so repetitive I thought it was 'interesting but nothing special', so I played it and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in a row. I wish I hadn't waited so long to play the games. They are amazing and I now consider myself a fan. Even though the writing isn't very inspired (lots of clichés, unrealistic situations and some stereotyped characters, especially in the present-day parts) compared with adventure games such as Red Dead Redemption, it's enjoyable and I especially like the Dan Brownesque stuff (glyph puzzles, easter eggs, Animus secrets, etc.) In fact, I love the games so much I have decided to teach myself Italian (languages are my passion, so I'm learning a bunch of them at the same time)

I think Assassin's Creed 2 is superior in terms of story and character development. Ezio was boring in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and I hate crafting and grinding for items or shops in video games. Still, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood has superior graphics, a fine multiplayer mode, a better interface, more Desmond, and the Vatican quarter is gorgeous. Also, the '100% sync' challenges are a good idea.

I can't wait to play Assassin's Creed Revelations.

leng jai

Is anyone on the PC version getting a white fog on the top half of the screen? Something is definitely fucked here, my 360 version never had this problem.

Ranger X

leng jai said:
Is anyone on the PC version getting a white fog on the top half of the screen? Something is definitely fucked here, my 360 version never had this problem.

This is a post effect that is present at certain times of day. It's also on Xbox and PS3.

leng jai

Ranger X said:
This is a post effect that is present at certain times of day. It's also on Xbox and PS3.

I'm 100% certain it didn't look like this on 360. This is borderline unplayable as it makes half the screen look washed out which is ridiculous.

Nugg

leng jai said:
I'm 100% certain it didn't look like this on 360. This is borderline unplayable as it makes half the screen look washed out which is ridiculous.
It did look like this on my 360 version, and it bothered the hell out of me. It looks so weird I'm still convinced it's some kind of bug, and not a deliberate post effect.

Yaska

Damn, they should really release a patch for this. Can't finish multiple missions because gamebreaker bugs >.<

casabolg

Banned
So I bought all of Rome... why did they get rid of a cape that keeps you notorious at all times!? Why have three capes with 2 capes do the exact same thing and one does nothing!?

Yaska

So I've played this for 2 days now, and I have to wonder how on earth did their QA let this out? The game is full of gamebreaking bugs. And the controls are still bad. AC2 has been superior game every way so far. Also if they implement checkpoints, why one cannot restart from a checkpoint? Why does it always have to be restart whole memory. This game is great, I'm having fun, but the bugs and controls really make this frustrating, especially if you try to full sync memories.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yaska said:
So I've played this for 2 days now, and I have to wonder how on earth did their QA let this out? The game is full of gamebreaking bugs. And the controls are still bad. AC2 has been superior game every way so far. Also if they implement checkpoints, why one cannot restart from a checkpoint? Why does it always have to be restart whole memory. This game is great, I'm having fun, but the bugs and controls really make this frustrating, especially if you try to full sync memories.
Don't try to full-sync memories. The second you stop caring about it is the second you start enjoying the game more.

Lesiroth

Lesiroth said:
Apologies for bumping this, but I'm still a junior so I can't make a new thread.

I just finished Assassin's Creed 2 last week, and I want to go on with Brotherhood. However, I would like to ask..

My friend already has the game, so I could just borrow it and play through the campaign(as it is the main attraction for me), and return it to him when I'm done. That would however stop me from getting any multiplayer action. I wouldn't mind getting a copy for myself, but first I'd need to justify the multiplayer.

So I'm wondering:

- Is the multiplayer worth it? Does it feel tacked on?

- I will be playing on PC, so is the multiplayer deserted there or is it still lively?

- Are the additions on the Deluxe Edition(two extra classes and a map IIRC) worth the extra price?

Also, is the game much shorter than AC2? Has the PC port improved over last time?

Sorry for the obsessive amount of questions, but I'd like to know the full story before going ahead with anything ^_^;
Repeating my questions again, sorry for doing that, but I really want to know whether I should buy the game for the MP or not.

Yaska

Stallion Free said:
Don't try to full-sync memories. The second you stop caring about it is the second you start enjoying the game more.
Yeah, noticed that. Some of the bugs are just... weird.

And for Lesiroth:
I like the multiplayer, it's fun. There's still plenty of players out there. Can't really comment on the deluxe bonuses. And there's loads of stuff to do, albeit the game is not as vast as AC2 was. That's my opinion so far; need to finish the game first to give a definitive opinion.

Nori Chan

I have two achievements left in this game.

Unfortunately they are the multiplayer one where you have to get all of the bonuses and co-op ones. I enjoy the mp in this game and I'm glad they are returning it in revelations.

Lesiroth said:
Repeating my questions again, sorry for doing that, but I really want to know whether I should buy the game for the MP or not.

I found it to be the freshest MP experience of the last year. It's a ton of fun. It's not perfect, matches can be laggy at times, and the level progression isn't balanced well at all (higher level perks have very clear advantages).That being said, its something very fun and rewarding. It's one of the few games where the guy on the top of the leaderboard has 3 kills and the guy on the bottom has 10. It's all about timing, patience, and execution.

Look up 'shenmue36' on youtube to watch a masterful player go at it.

I got it for SP and got sucked into MP straight away. I've spent many many hours in it and have unlocked nearly everything.

I still play it, and full games remain abundant.

Lesiroth

MrCompletely said:
I found it to be the freshest MP experience of the last year. It's a ton of fun. It's not perfect, matches can be laggy at times, and the level progression isn't balanced well at all (higher level perks have very clear advantages).That being said, its something very fun and rewarding. It's one of the few games where the guy on the top of the leaderboard has 3 kills and the guy on the bottom has 10. It's all about timing, patience, and execution.

Look up 'shenmue36' on youtube to watch a masterful player go at it.

I got it for SP and got sucked into MP straight away. I've spent many many hours in it and have unlocked nearly everything.

I still play it, and full games remain abundant.
Thanks for answering, I'm just worried about the PC side since it may not be as populated. Unless you were playing on PC too?

Curufinwe

If anyone here is still playing the multiplayer on the 360, feel free to add me. I only just got Gold and started playing this week.

Lesiroth

Just got the game for PC. Only tried out the multiplayer, but that routing thing was a bitch to fix. I can see it becoming pretty addicting, albeit repetitive. If anyone on GAF still feels like playing let me know!

A couple questions for people playing the PC multiplayer...

I'm assuming the PC version uses matchmaking, as that's what my search-fu is showing

1. Is there enough of a community to support matchmaking? I live in Eastern Canada, so I doubt it would be a problem, but just checking!

2. Are match/game settings strictly limited to playlists? Let's say hypothetically there was some totally unbalanced/rigged perk or ability. Is there some way to either create or join a match where one could disable something like that? I'm really curious if there's any sort of ability to have some server settings that you might see in other games.

Lesiroth

PedroLumpy said:
A couple questions for people playing the PC multiplayer...

I'm assuming the PC version uses matchmaking, as that's what my search-fu is showing

1. Is there enough of a community to support matchmaking? I live in Eastern Canada, so I doubt it would be a problem, but just checking!

2. Are match/game settings strictly limited to playlists? Let's say hypothetically there was some totally unbalanced/rigged perk or ability. Is there some way to either create or join a match where one could disable something like that? I'm really curious if there's any sort of ability to have some server settings that you might see in other games.
1) Well, if you fix your port forwarding settings, I don't have much trouble finding matches.

2) Not that I know of.

If you get the PC game, hit me up so we could play together sometime!

Wrayfield

I just picked up AssCreedBro. The 100% synchronisation thing really takes the creativity out of killing your target. Granted, I just started, but if you tell me I have to kill a guy in a certain way to achieve best synch, it kinda becomes a rule that I hate to break.

Decided to give the game a few days' rest and pick it up again later -- maybe it was too early after AC2 and the differences are too much for me. Really liked AC2.

Edit: I see others had similar experiences about fully synching memories. Nevermind then.

Forkball

I beat it, awesome game. It really improves on ACII in pretty much every way: more side quests, more varied missions, more diversified landscape even though it was one city, better combat etc. Yeah, it's ACII: Redux in a lot of ways, but it's still exciting. I kinda rushed near the end though, I really wanted to see what happened (also I wanted to kill Cesare ASAP).

Stuff I liked:
+ Combat was faster and with better animations, I didn't have to have a two hour block fight with a single guard
+ While Rome is only one city, it's much more diversified than the other cities in ACII and has some great landmarks like the Pantheon, Vatican District, Coliseum etc.
+
+ Recruiting assassins was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed using them. Arrow storm was pretty broken, but it helped with the trickier Borgia captains
+ A ton of sidequests. Courtesan missions, thief missions, assassination missions, DaVinci Disappearance quests, recruiting assassins, Lairs of Romulus (not as epic as the assassin tombs from ACII, but a lot less frustrating), Cristina missions, Templar agents, Templar lairs, Leonardo's war machines etc. There is just so much content here, I admittedly skipped a lot of it because it seemed like almost TOO much. I will probably tackle some of them later on.
+Borgia towers. These were really fun to take down, although I didn't like how some of the captains could vanish into thin air.
+ Multiplayer is a ton of fun (when you can find a game). I wish it was more popular because it has a lot of interesting elements you don't see in other multiplayer games. It revolves almost entirely around strategy and intelligence instead of combat skill. It felt awesome to simply outsmart your opponent when they feel like they're safe.

Stuff I didn't like:
- The story was pretty weak.
Ok, Ezio becomes the leader of the assassins and takes down the Borgia. It seems like this should have happened LAST game, but for some reason Ubisoft really wants people to die at the appropriate dates. Also the last Ezio sequence came out of nowhere really. He's chilling with DaVinci and then all of the sudden he's on a fiery battlefield? The hell. Also the Ezio/Altair connection was kinda played down. Ezio was fascinated by what Altair found in ancient times, but he doesn't even think about him in this game. Revelations seems to remedy this though. But a huge WTF at the Desmond ending, I didn't see that coming at all. I read some theories, and needless to say my mind is blown.
- I found upgrades in general to be troublesome. You didn't get the double blades or super jump until much later in the game, and I didn't like upgrading the city, it just seemed more of a bother than something I cared about doing.
- Altair's armor > Brutus armor

Needless to say, I can't wait for Revelations.

Forkball said:
I beat it, awesome game. It really improves on ACII in pretty much every way: more side quests, more varied missions, more diversified landscape even though it was one city, better combat etc. Yeah, it's ACII: Redux in a lot of ways, but it's still exciting. I kinda rushed near the end though, I really wanted to see what happened (also I wanted to kill Cesare ASAP).

Stuff I liked:
+ Combat was faster and with better animations, I didn't have to have a two hour block fight with a single guard
+ While Rome is only one city, it's much more diversified than the other cities in ACII and has some great landmarks like the Pantheon, Vatican District, Coliseum etc.
+
+ Recruiting assassins was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed using them. Arrow storm was pretty broken, but it helped with the trickier Borgia captains
+ A ton of sidequests. Courtesan missions, thief missions, assassination missions, DaVinci Disappearance quests, recruiting assassins, Lairs of Romulus (not as epic as the assassin tombs from ACII, but a lot less frustrating), Cristina missions, Templar agents, Templar lairs, Leonardo's war machines etc. There is just so much content here, I admittedly skipped a lot of it because it seemed like almost TOO much. I will probably tackle some of them later on.
+Borgia towers. These were really fun to take down, although I didn't like how some of the captains could vanish into thin air.
+ Multiplayer is a ton of fun (when you can find a game). I wish it was more popular because it has a lot of interesting elements you don't see in other multiplayer games. It revolves almost entirely around strategy and intelligence instead of combat skill. It felt awesome to simply outsmart your opponent when they feel like they're safe.

Stuff I didn't like:
Ok, Ezio becomes the leader of the assassins and takes down the Borgia. It seems like this should have happened LAST game, but for some reason Ubisoft really wants people to die at the appropriate dates. Also the last Ezio sequence came out of nowhere really. He's chilling with DaVinci and then all of the sudden he's on a fiery battlefield? The hell. Also the Ezio/Altair connection was kinda played down. Ezio was fascinated by what Altair found in ancient times, but he doesn't even think about him in this game. Revelations seems to remedy this though. But a huge WTF at the Desmond ending, I didn't see that coming at all. I read some theories, and needless to say my mind is blown.
- I found upgrades in general to be troublesome. You didn't get the double blades or super jump until much later in the game, and I didn't like upgrading the city, it just seemed more of a bother than something I cared about doing.

I agree with your entire post.

Curufinwe

I'm up to level 16 in the multiplayer after about 6 hours, and almost have my k/d ratio at 1:1. It's not that easy to rack up high scores, though. The winner of my matches usually gets 5,000+ and my best score so far is 3,850. That was the only match I've managed to win so far.

I've only played Wanted since it seems to be the simplest mode, and I heard people don't really play the other ones.

Curufinwe said:
I'm up to level 16 in the multiplayer after about 6 hours, and almost have my k/d ratio at 1:1. It's not that easy to rack up high scores, though. The winner of my matches usually gets 5,000+ and my best score so far is 3,850. That was the only match I've managed to win so far.

I've only played Wanted since it seems to be the simplest mode, and I heard people don't really play the other ones.

Iv hit 20 after about 6 hours playing manhunt, however i have people i play it with and i get scores of 6000+ per game at the end of the game.

Manhunt is the best mode by far and alot of people play it

Curufinwe

Wow, 6,000 per game.

I did get the Achievement for making a triple escape tonight, which was pretty cool. The third pursuer came running up to where I was waiting for him behind a building and I just dropped my smoke bomb and then stunned him, hehe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just had 3 of my people turn into full assasins. There was a tooltip that mentioned something about how I can get them to recruit people, but I didn't catch it before it went away. What are the benefits of having someone who is a full assassin?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FlyinJ said:
I just had 3 of my people turn into full assasins. There was a tooltip that mentioned something about how I can get them to recruit people, but I didn't catch it before it went away. What are the benefits of having someone who is a full assassin?
I'm pretty sure you have to do all the recruiting.

The benefits of having a full assassin is that they are pretty much invincible when helping you and they have a high chance of success on the hardest of missions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Also, is there a way to see what ingredients/loot stores want for their store missions without having to actually go to the store to check?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
FlyinJ said:
Also, is there a way to see what ingredients/loot stores want for their store missions without having to actually go to the store to check?
Nope, but you could just write them down on a piece of paper.

XeroSauce

Gaz Pwnage said:
Iv hit 20 after about 6 hours playing manhunt, however i have people i play it with and i get scores of 6000+ per game at the end of the game.

Manhunt is the best mode by far and alot of people play it

New to thread, are you guys playing on PC?

Curufinwe said:

Manhunt has a bunch of players.

UrbanRats

Finished the main story today, WTF at the ending!

Also, how do i unlock all the Cristina missions?

Forkball said:

Stuff I liked:
+

Stuff I didn't like:

Totally agree, except on the Multiplayer, but just because i haven't tried it yet.

AEREC

I beat the game last week and probably looking to get the DLC soon. Im just wondering if there is anyway at all to leave the animus and wonder around Montegrionni again?

I found 4 out of 5 relics and would like to go back and get he last one because it's kind of bothering me that I left it and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it again...does the Da Vinci DLC let you leave the Animus again?

UrbanRats said:
Finished the main story today, WTF at the ending!

Also, how do i unlock all the Cristina missions?

Totally agree, except on the Multiplayer, but just because i haven't tried it yet.

They unlock at certain Sync %'s. There's 4-5 I believe.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
UrbanRats said:
Oh, i must have done like.. 3, i think.
Last one being
the one in Venice, where she told Ezio to fuck off.
They unlock in intervals depending on your sync ratio. You should get the second to last one when you hit 60% sync and 75% for the last one.

Two questions: Are there any collectibles (flags, feathers, etc.) for which treasure maps are not available? I've been avoiding them so far so I don't have to worry if I have to use a checklist.

Also, at Sequence 3 I think, I left the Animus and
wandered around Monterrigioni in present day, and found a bag in the old church. Is there any thing else in the town I'll want to look for or anything I can miss?

faceless007 said:
Two questions: Are there any collectibles (flags, feathers, etc.) for which treasure maps are not available? I've been avoiding them so far so I don't have to worry if I have to use a checklist.

Also, at Sequence 3 I think, I left the Animus and
wandered around Monterrigioni in present day, and found a bag in the old church. Is there any thing else in the town I'll want to look for or anything I can miss?

You'll get a map for all flags and feathers... Don't worry.

So I was thinking of getting this game on PC rather than PS3 which is what I usually get my games for. But does this game work well with a gamepad, specifically the PS3 controller (obviously), or is it messed up? I have a 360 controller but I'd rather use the other. But I'll use whatever works natively. Last time I gamed on my PC with my ps3 controller I remember having to download some weird ass firmware and shit, is that still the case?

Does the 360 one work natively? Any knowledge someone can lay on me here would be nice.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
-Pyromaniac- said:
One final bump in hopes someone can help me asap before I decide what to do. Can't seem to find a concrete answer anywhere :(
A wired 360 pad works flawlessly. If you want effortless PC gaming with a pad, pick up a wired 360 pad. It will get tons of use so it's worth the 30$.

Stallion Free said:
A wired 360 pad works flawlessly. If you want effortless PC gaming with a pad, pick up a wired 360 pad. It will get tons of use so it's worth the 30$.
so does it have to be a wired 360 controller or can it be one with a play and charge kit. In Canada a controller is 50 bucks, might as well just get the game on PS3 for 20 lol.

I only plan on playing that and revelations later this year, not a huge PC gamer outside of Starcraft.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
-Pyromaniac- said:
so does it have to be a wired 360 controller or can it be one with a play and charge kit. In Canada a controller is 50 bucks, might as well just get the game on PS3 for 20 lol.

I only plan on playing that and revelations later this year, not a huge PC gamer outside of Starcraft.
Play & charge kit doesn't work.

If I download the Da Vinci Code DLC for the new map/s in multiplayer, will I be able to play the game with people who don't have the DLC? The other day a friend couldn't join us because he didn't have the two free Animus DLC packs.

Top Bottom