• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at his post history I can't tell if he's just trolling or really hates himself and has some personal issues going on:

I have issues with hollywood and the AAA game industry as of late. I'm consistent about it, but that's because both hollywood and the game industry has been consistently lowering their common denominator bar as well.

Again, what part of out-of-place assassin hunting down civil war soldiers doesn't scream "this is suppose to be a joke?" This is Abraham Lincoln hunting zombies level ridiculous but without the tongue in cheek (at least that's what I'm guessing the tone is going to be.)

It's always my fault for stating the obvious.

ZZMitch

Probably something set in europe....again.

Personally I love the concept of the setting being the american revolution. There are so many iconic moments that you could take part in that could make for a fantastic experience. I also think its great that the protag seems to be of native desent, I just hope that ubi uses this oppritunity to explore some of the great, and terrible aspects of the time. The founding fathers were great men, but as with us all still flawed, can't wait to see what they are doing with this.

No, I meant what else did people expect in the promo picture :p. I apologize for the bad wording.

I have issues with hollywood and the AAA game industry as of late. I'm consistent about it, but that's because both hollywood and the game industry has been consistently lowering their common denominator bar as well.

Again, what part of out-of-place assassin hunting down civil war soldiers doesn't scream "this is suppose to be a joke?" This is Abraham Lincoln hunting zombies level ridiculous but without the tongue in cheek.

Why does everyone think the American Revolution is the Civil War today?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have issues with hollywood and the AAA game industry as of late.

Again, what part of out-of-place assassin hunting down civil war soldiers doesn't scream "this is suppose to be a joke?" This is Abraham Lincoln hunting zombies level ridiculous but without the tongue in cheek.

There is something obvious here and it's not the game's "problems"

Smo21

Looks interesting. If they do some interesting things to change up the series a little i would really like that. Maybe a little less vertical exploration in exchange for larger land area. Maybe some more sneaking too.

Oh and Washington!

rdrr gnr

I'm not sure that is what he is saying. He just referring to certain portrayals of famous Americans, including the one of Abraham Lincoln in that popular book.

Edit: Nevermind. He's an idiot.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I can see why people just walking in and not reading would, I can't remember either being touched upon back in school here at all and I wouldn't be surprised if people are just clumping whatever films they might have seen set during that time and mashing them together and thinking it was one long event in history.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks interesting. If they do some interesting things to change up the series a little i would really like that. Maybe a little less vertical exploration in exchange for larger land area. Maybe some more sneaking too.

Oh and Washington!

Sometimes I sing that song on my way into work. For no reason really. Its one of those things that pops up into my head and is stuck there for weeks.

ZZMitch

I can see why people just walking in and not reading would, I can't remember either being touched upon back in school here at all and I wouldn't be surprised if people are just clumping whatever films they might have seen set during that time and mashing them together and thinking it was one long event in history.

Yeah, I understand, the history I learned is much more American/Canadian focused so it just seems weird to me. I really can't say anything really because I knew little about the French Revolution until university.

All of the good banter up in here has got me to thinking: is the stealth genre dead? I'm talking the MGS/Splinter Cell of old design philosophy. Is MGS5 the genre's only chance of survival/resurrection?

Gsak

I bet you that we'll get to see the farm where Desmond grew up, and it's gonna be built by the new protagonist. Also I think his name is gonna be Kwahu!

Kinyou

That's true. I actually need to pick that up again and give it a proper shot. Its philosopgy wasn't so embedded in stealth, though. I need another game that is pure stealth or die.
Well I guess those games sneaked under the radar of most customers.

ha....ha...

get it?

Cause sneaking under the radar is lik- ah, forget it

yup

nope never played AC1. I just hope there isn't some kind of The Patriot crap because I quite liked AC:B and want to believe this one will be good

I doubt it. If he's Native, Ubi would be retarded to make it so he's all "America FTW". I really hope the two sides are more nuanced and multi-faceted. AC1 had a lot of villains with grey morality (except for the one psycho everyone enjoyed killing). AC2/ACB just had evil douchebags who were evil for the sake of being evil and super-villainy (though I loved beating the Pope to a pulp). ACR sorta brought the twisty nature back in the Templars.

I hope our protagonist is on his own side.

And yeah, AC1 had villains from all over the Crusades. And the leaders of both sides, Richard/Saladin are actually decent seeming dudes.

Bruiserk

Man, what an awesome day for gaming news. AC boxart/GI art, CG trailer coming soon (Monday is it?), and Journey is doing well in reviews.

That GI art gets me pumped. I love a snowy environment.

I promised myself I wouldn't get hyped for AC this early...

yeah I'm sure there'll be the good English general quasi-siding with the protag and the bad American commander with triple goals and betrayaltons in the oven

Has one of the royals ever been assassinated? Because then I might have some bad news for you.

not in that timeframe i believe. King George stayed alive and well for 82 years

So he is still a descendant of the ezio/altair/desmond line? I guess he has to be. He can still be half Native American or whatever, but...well I guess that's not too far fetched now that I'm thinking about it. It's not too difficult to imagine the son of Ezio hopping stowaway on a boat to the new world and boning a bunch of native american beauties.

Vire

yeah I'm sure there'll be the good English general quasi-siding with the protag and the bad American commander with triple goals and betrayaltons in the oven

not in that timeframe i believe. King George stayed alive and well for 82 years

This actually happened.

See Benedict Arnold.

But I guess they don't teach you about wars you lost in school.

I love the people complaining that the game will suck since the buildings are small and a bit more scarce. Go imagination! Thank god these people aren't making games.

ReaperXL7

Yes, please. Interested to see how he'd spin the music to fit this new more recent setting.

Well if you believe some of the naysayers in this thread they are just going to put the american national anthem on loop for the whole game. Maybe throw in some yankee doodle.

Amir0x

Banned
This actually happened.

See Benedict Arnold.

But I guess they don't teach you about wars you lost in school.

Look up Edward Bancroft too. Dude once was a spy for Benjamin Franklin, then was a spy for the British. And there is some evidence that Benjamin Franklin knew Bancroft was a double agent and intentionally used this knowledge to plant information that would get the British to do something diplomatically he wanted. Because there were several key moments he let out information in such a way to suggest just that.

Fascinating characters during the American Revolution.

Miggytronz

You guys think we'll get a Red Dead Redemption open world kinda game here with this? Something the other games havent really done. And im talking expansive as hell.

That's true. I actually need to pick that up again and give it a proper shot. Its philosopgy wasn't so embedded in stealth, though. I need another game that is pure stealth or die.

Ugh. Terrible.

Splinter Cell didn't good until they ditched that shit in Chaos Theory, where you could actually be seen, or fuck up, and still fight your way to safety before trying to sneak by the next challenge.

As a Native American, I hope the guy is Native.

*Dreams*

Can I pre-emptively apologize if this game is offensive? I'm fucking stoked at the notion of playing as a native American, but even as a white dude I kind of cringe at that American flag backdrop. I know dude is probably half-Native American or whatever and I'm probably being too PC, but they really need to be careful with how they handle it. It's just a game, though, right?

Dany

Banned
Can I pre-emptively apologize if this game is offensive? I'm fucking stoked at the notion of playing as a native American, but even as a white dude I kind of cringe at that American flag backdrop. I know dude is probably half-Native American or whatever and I'm probably being too PC, but they really need to be careful with how they handle it. It's just a game, though, right?

Stop thinking about it too much. Yeesh.

Zophar

Colonization happened, dude. We should probably get used to it.

As said before, Ben Franklin would make a great DaVinci. You could also have a mission where you have to rescue him from Templar agents disguised as French prostitutes....

I really want Lafayette to be one of the assassin contacts.

On the subject of the assassin's Native American roots, there was a tweet from 1up's Scooter Nguyen tweeted this:

All this AC3 kerfuffle taught me to not mock @McBiggitty's source when the half-Cherokee in Rev War idea was bought up 3+ months ago

Ugh. Terrible.

Splinter Cell didn't good until they ditched that shit in Chaos Theory, where you could actually be seen, or fuck up, and still fight your way to safety before trying to sneak by the next challenge.

There's NO pure stealth games left. Splinter Cell was a nice idea, almost well executed. Chaos Theory was the downward spiral BROUGHT TO YOU BY SMINT GUM.

Will you be done apologizeing for Sid Meir and Brian Reynolds works?

Come on, besides look at how the games treat Catholics(not that I care, but it is noticeable), I can't imagine Indians will be treated worse than the Catholics get it.

Amir0x

Banned
As said before, Ben Franklin would make a great DaVinci. You could also have a mission where you have to rescue him from Templar agents disguised as French prostitutes....

man I thought that as I said earlier, but then I came to feel that it would be stretching history too much for my tastes. Benjamin Franklin's role in history at this point was as a rousing diplomat and international celebrity, to say nothing of how old he was. He tinkered far less at the age he was during the Revolutionary War. He wasn't even in the country because he was participating in what remains the single most important diplomatic mission in American history.

Bringing him back would be too much revisionist history for me, even in a game about Mayan conspiracies and Pope Power Gods :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom