• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
man I thought that as I said earlier, but then I came to feel that it would be stretching history too much for my tastes. Benjamin Franklin's role in history at this point was as a rousing diplomat and international celebrity, to say nothing of how old he was. He tinkered far less at the age he was during the Revolutionary War. He wasn't even in the country because he was participating in what remains the single most important diplomatic mission in American history.

Bringing him back would be too much revisionist history for me, even in a game about Mayan conspiracies and Pope Power Gods :p

Instead of Animus Desmond missions they should just have Franklin missions in the French court. Instead of memories and shit you'd be screwing French girls and battling gout at the same time.

This thread makes me realize I now want a Ben Franklin game. It'd be like the Witcher but Franklin would be a fat Geralt and Adams would be like Dandelion.

You guys think Daniel Cross will show up in AC3? He was the main protagonist in The Fall. Apparently there is some mention of him in ACR. It'd be an interesting meeting... considering what happened in that series.

Can I pre-emptively apologize if this game is offensive? I'm fucking stoked at the notion of playing as a native American, but even as a white dude I kind of cringe at that American flag backdrop. I know dude is probably half-Native American or whatever and I'm probably being too PC, but they really need to be careful with how they handle it. It's just a game, though, right?

I hope they go all in concerning the role Native-Americans played in the revolution. Besides who would you rather play as? A boring Anglo-Saxon colonist or a bad ass Native-American warrior?

Wallachia

Can't wait to swing and hop through trees in the snow, then drop down and dismantle a British garrison tomohawk and musket style as they try to keep order, aim and fire.

rataven

It'll be interesting to see how this game performs for the series. This thread has half as many posts as the OT for Rev, and this is only a day old. Seems people really were a bit burnt out on that era.

Wallachia

I hope they go all-in concerning the role Native-Americans played in the revolution. Besides who would you rather play as? A boring Anglo-Saxon colonist or a bad ass Native-American warrior?

Right. I believe they will handle the subject with respect and honor. The team should be using a lot of historians and native authenticity consultants. I admire the boldness though.

Wallachia

It'll be interesting to see how this game performs for the series. This thread has half as many posts as the OT for Rev, and this is only a day old. Seems people really were a bit burnt out on that era.

Good point, and I'd expect newcomers to the series based on the new location (U.S.), character, mood, and place in history.

Shouldn't we compare Assassin's Creed to the Hitman games rather than SC?

Although, Hitman was always more of a puzzle game wrapped in an action/adventure, so....

Love the design of the assassin, the AC hype is coming back to me, after the dissapointment of Revelations I really need this to ignite my feelings for the franchise again.

I'm not too crazy about the boxart. Ey should use the other image of him standing there with the flag behind him instead. That pic is more consistent with the boxarts of 1 and 2

rdrr gnr

I feel like someone would complain about that being culturally insensitive.
Everything is culturally insensitive to someone out there. Collect bottles of 'fire water' and so on.
I'm not too crazy about the boxart. Ey should use the other image of him standing there with the flag behind him instead. That pic is more consistent with the boxarts of 1 and 2
You'd rather it be generic to maintain consistency, than break the mold and be awesome?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Calling it now.

French Revolution pops up in a Brotherhood/Revelations companion game.

American Revolution as a starting point begins to make a whole more sense once you take in Ubisoft's general direction with this series thus far.

ReaperXL7

-Cwalat-

They look pretty much the same to me only the top one looks alittle older. So probably the same thing as ezio where he ages over the course of the game. Its also a style change bewteen the two which lends alittle different flair to each pic.

Or maybe the more rough version is conceptual art that GameInformer used?

The latter is on the cover of the game so i think that'll be the final version of the costume, although i'm pretty certain that we're gonna be able to customize our characters outfit in-game.

=)

They look pretty much the same to me only the top one looks alittle older. So probably the same thing as ezio where he ages over the course of the game. Its also a style change bewteen the two which lends alittle different flair to each pic.

really? they look completely different to me. first one has a wider nose and longer mouth while the other seems to have a more "structured" nose and a smaller mouth. could be just me. i do hope its like a father/son thing. :D could be cool. same time just different perspectives on the story.

regardless, color me excited. i finally bought revelations just cause im so excited for this.

You guys think Daniel Cross will show up in AC3? He was the main protagonist in The Fall. Apparently there is some mention of him in ACR. It'd be an interesting meeting... considering what happened in that series.

Apparently, Cross became
a high-ranking Templar after his little adventure, so I wouldn't be surprised if he faced off with Desmond at some point.

xpret

Neo Member
The AC franchise, for me, has always been to potential to see the world in a different way, with locations that are not euro-anglo-american-centric. That is why this, judging by the setting only, seems so unappealing to me. Yes, the period certainly is interesting, but it is just so obviously playing into the white-anglo-american discourse the video game industry is already far too steeped in.

AC started off in totally different locations than was ever before considered for a game of its caliber and potential target audience. It sidestepped that discourse completely by going to Damascus and Jerusalem (and of course Constantinople in AssRev; fantastic choice). In ACII they went to Italy and the European setting of the Renaissance period; it was a great historical exploration of "our" past (that is, white, male, imperialistic, etc.), so I was hoping we might go beyond that world view for ACIII. But no, marketing showed that more people could connect to a dude during the "American revolution" than a female Asian protagonist.

This is why (however cliché it might be at this point) an Asian setting, or Egyptian setting, was not only more personally appealing to a lot of people, but also important as a contribution to the de-americanisation of video game culture.

It sounds really cool to run in trees and stuff, and I'm sure they are very confident in their decision, but judging by the location alone, I am disappointed and not surprised at all. Something that happens far too often in this industry.

Shouldn't we compare Assassin's Creed to the Hitman games rather than SC?

Although, Hitman was always more of a puzzle game wrapped in an action/adventure, so....

It should be compared to Batman: Arkham City. A third person action game with balance between combat and stealth elements for the core gameplay and city traversal mixed in as well. The balance between these elements is different, but a great many comparisons can be drawn. The most important comparison is to realize that Batman does almost every element better and Assassin's Creed should be trying to ape it on almost every front.

rdrr gnr

ACIII. But no, marketing showed that more people could connect to a dude during the "American revolution" than a female Asian protagonist.
There is probably some truth to this, but as it stands now, that's just pure speculation on your part. I'd consider it hard to relate towards an aging Syrian assassin, but that turned out okay, right?

This is why (however cliché it might be at this point) an Asian setting, or Egyptian setting, was not only more personally appealing to a lot of people, but also important as a contribution to the de-americanisation of video game culture.

It sounds really cool to run in trees and stuff, and I'm sure they are very confident in their decision, but judging by the location alone, I am disappointed and not surprised at all. Something that happens far too often in this industry.
I wouldn't say it was more personally appealing at all. There are plenty of core AC fans that wanted this setting, like, myself. Secondly, this Americanization argument makes no sense if you think about it with any serious consideration. You have an international team, whose previous games have taken place in Europe and the Middle East, taking on a 'pre-American' setting with a Native American protagonist. This screams 'Americanization' to you? Accompanied by a creative cop-out? I don't agree. This is as nonsensical as the 'Merica Fuck Yeah arguments this thread is littered with. Just so we are clear, I've already conceded that Ubisoft has the potential to make this trite and jingoistic, but I feel like an international team is a bit more cultured than that.

xpret

Neo Member
I wouldn't say it was more personally appealing at all. There are plenty of core AC fans that wanted this setting, like, myself.

I agree. There seems to be a 50/50 split in the AC fan camp.

Secondly, this Americanization argument makes no sense if you think about it with any serious consideration. You have an international team, whose previous games have taken place in Europe and the Middle East, taking on a 'pre-American' setting with a Native American protagonist. This screams 'Americanization' to you? Accompanied by a creative cop-out? I don't agree. This is as nonsensical as the 'Merica Fuck Yeah arguments this thread is littered with. Just so we are clear, I've already concede Ubisoft has the potential to make this trite and jingoistic, but I feel like an international team is a bit more cultured than that.

I hear you, and that is a good point. Considering the team not being American themselves certainly adds another dimension to the development. However, even non-americans have to become non-american. There is no guarantee just because you are not american (or if you are american) that the games you make well always be "Merica Fuck Yeah". This has nothing to do, essentially, with individual people. It has to do with industry, with discourse, with attitude. And considering that, I felt disappointed by the setting.

I'm sure it will be cool, but for me, games are about worlds. We'll just have to see how they express that world.

ReaperXL7

The AC franchise, for me, has always been to potential to see the world in a different way, with locations that are not euro-anglo-american-centric. That is why this, judging by the setting only, seems so unappealing to me. Yes, the period certainly is interesting, but it is just so obviously playing into the white-anglo-american discourse the video game industry is already far too steeped in.

AC started off in totally different locations than was ever before considered for a game of its caliber and potential target audience. It sidestepped that discourse completely by going to Damascus and Jerusalem (and of course Constantinople in AssRev; fantastic choice). In ACII they went to Italy and the European setting of the Renaissance period; it was a great historical exploration of "our" past (that is, white, male, imperialistic, etc.), so I was hoping we might go beyond that world view for ACIII. But no, marketing showed that more people could connect to a dude during the "American revolution" than a female Asian protagonist.

If your not interested in the setting that's understandable that's fair, but prentending that anything that we know so far is cliche is far from the truth. How many games out there have ever taken place in this frame of time? How many games feature a setting that allows for as much depth from a historical interaction as this will given the sheer amount of important things that came from the american revolution. We are also not playing a "white" male the character is native american and I for one welcome that aspect as there are far fewer native american characters in games then other races.

The female thing I can understand but I prefer male protags so it does not bother me as much. At this point maybe games should just come with character creators so everyone can be happy.

Most of the appeal of the AC games comes from roaming through beautiful, classic European cities.

They are going to have to do a hell of a lot of convincing if they expect me to think that going around in early America will be anywhere close to the same.

Pretty disappointed. Its an interesting setting, but my imagination, or lack thereof, isn't seeing how this could be good.

But the first AC game took place in the Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom