• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins is getting 60 FPS support on PS5 and XSX/S starting June 2

assurdum

Banned
Thank you for saving me time and some space from my SSD

I was reminded of the terrible animations, numbers floating from damaging enemies, levels above their heads ... Ugh
If I'm not wrong Ubisoft BC enhanced games can still run on external HDD, you no need to waste the SSD space. I have Odissey on ps5 and I played it at 60 fps with my old HDD.

Last edited:

Kacho

Haven’t played this since 2018 on the One X btw. I remember the loading times being brutal. Hyped for dat SSD goodness.

Topher

Gold Member
Haven’t played this since 2018 on the One X btw. I remember the loading times being brutal. Hyped for dat SSD goodness.

First thing I noticed was how long it took to load on my PS5. Not horrible, but noticeable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So this is live on Series X? There’s no X/S label like with Odyssey.

No, still not live on Series X, at least for me. (US east coast).

Eer I could be wrong, but I don't think such update it's about faster loading times.

The patch in general is not about load times, but the native SSD makes a huge difference in load times regardless.

If you're going from XBO generation to the new consoles, you will immediately notice a massive difference.

PS5 load times might be longer than Xbox here as we've seen that most enhanced BC games, that are't native apps, load slower (Nier Replicant etc).

143j5b.png

Last edited:

Kacho

Eer I could be wrong, but I don't think such update it's about faster loading times.
This update doesn't specifically target loading times, correct. But games don't need specific enhancements to see noticeable load speed improvements, on Series X at least.

If you're going from XBO generation to the new consoles, you will immediately notice a massive difference.

PS5 load times might be longer than Xbox here as we've seen that most enhanced BC games, that are't native apps, load slower (Nier Replicant etc).
Yeah, this is what I remember being the case. I don't play on PS5 so I don't have any first hand experience with it. On Series X the difference is night and day on all games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No, still not live on Series X, at least for me. (US east coast).

The patch in general is not about load times, but the native SSD makes a huge difference in load times regardless.

143j5b.png

I just timed it on my PS5 after closing and reopening the game. Time from selecting continue on previous save to fully loaded was 29.50 seconds. Wouldn't call that bad, but obviously newer game load times are much much faster.

Edit: Tested on PC with Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 drive and it was 25 seconds.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Load times on PC are severely hampered by the Denuvo copy protection. Some cracking crew stripped that out a couple of years ago and it lowered load times by more than half if I remember it right.

I just realized I made the mistake I always make. I just reinstalled the game and timed the loading. First time loading is always longer on PC. I quit the game and tried again. This time the game loaded in 12.53 seconds.

b0uncyfr0

Yep it's up.

It looks really good on my CX. HDR and the Egyptian world looks dope.

Loading times are also quite good on a SX. You actually spend more time on loadup since you have you can't skip the intros

Last edited:

adamsapple

Oh yeah shit I forgot these games do R1/R2 is attacks by default. Changing that shit to the face buttons ASAP.

Dr.Morris79

Just had a quick nose, It's fucking beautiful. Cant wait to restart the game after all this Jubilee bollocks..

But first, we drink! :messenger_bicep::messenger_beermugs:

sinnergy

How do you know the game is updated ? Does the game get a new version number or settings ?

Last edited:

adamsapple

How do you know the game is updated ? Does the game get a new version number or settings ?

The version will change to 1.60 and you will immediately notice the frame rate improvement, even in the main menu. The cursor was 30 FPS before, even the menu cursor moves at 60 FPS post-patch.

Why wouldn't a last gen game run at 60 FPS on Series S?
Some were surprised to see it reach such lofty heights.

Surprised Series S is getting it aswell, wonder what the resolution will be for it.
I'm thinking some must think the XSS is similar in capability to the Switch because of their similar price points. Got to spread the news. XSS has the same CPU as PS5 and XSX believe it or not.

adamsapple

Even though they play almost identically, Odyssey had a bunch of QoL improvements over Origins that I'm sorely missing, especially having put 100+ hrs into Odyssey after its patch late last year.

Ah well.

At least post patch the game runs amazingly well. There is some minor stutter in the cut-scenes, but the game play has been super consistent.

sinnergy

The version will change to 1.60 and you will immediately notice the frame rate improvement, even in the main menu. The cursor was 30 FPS before, even the menu cursor moves at 60 FPS post-patch.
Thanks, I asked because I saw no new settings. But mine is on version 1.6.

T-Cake

Even though they play almost identically, Odyssey had a bunch of QoL improvements over Origins that I'm sorely missing, especially having put 100+ hrs into Odyssey after its patch late last year.

Ah well.
I'm lucky that I can't remember much about Odyssey so I'm really enjoying Origins. Although I do remember the loot pulse being better in Origins. I will be playing Odyssey again next though. Hopefully get both of these finished before Valhalla comes on PS+.

Last edited:

Duchess

For those who have played both Origins and Odyssey, some questions:

I enjoyed my time with Odyssey, but never finished it; it was somewhat too big and I am not a fan of enemy level scaling at all (it makes me feel as though I'm not getting any stronger, if the baddies also get to attend Monster Gym).

So ... is Origins a bit more manageable, when it comes to time? Also, is there enemy level scaling (or can it at least be turned off?)

Last edited:

adamsapple

I enjoyed my time with Odyssey, but never finished it; it was somewhat too big and I am not a fan of enemy level scaling at all (it makes me feel as though I'm not getting any stronger, if the baddies also get to attend Monster Gym).

So ... is Origins a bit more manageable, when it comes to time? Also, is there enemy level scaling (or can it at least be turned off?)

You can turn enemy scaling off.

And this game is smaller in scope than Odyssey for sure. The world is generally much smaller and most of it is filled with desert anyway.

They *REALLY* went ham in terms of throwing in a massive world and content in Odyssey.

Topher

Gold Member

Odyssey and Origins are the same when it comes enemy leveling. I'm not a fan of it either and pretty sure it cannot be turned off. Scratch that. It can be turned off.

Odyssey is definitely a longer game especially if you want to complete it and assassinate all the Cosmos members. I believe Odyssey's map is about 2 and a half times the size of Origins, but that is probably because Odyssey is located predominantly in the Aegean Sea versus Origin's mainly desert locale. Odyssey definitely expanded on a lot of what was done in Origins so you may find Origins to be tighter, more compact experience. But the crux of the game is the same so if the leveling is an issue you may not like it.

You can turn enemy scaling off.

And this game is smaller in scope than Odyssey for sure. The world is generally much smaller and most of it is filled with desert anyway.

They *REALLY* went ham in terms of throwing in a massive world and content in Odyssey.

Oh.....you can turn it off? That's good to hear.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Oh.....you can turn it off? That's good to hear.

There's an option in the settings you can toggle that can make it so the enemies either scale to your level or not.

Not sure if that's exactly what the user is asking for, but that's what I'm talking about as level scaling.

Topher

Gold Member
There's an option in the settings you can toggle that can make it so the enemies either scale to your level or not.

Not sure if that's exactly what the user is asking for, but that's what I'm talking about as level scaling.

Yeah, you are right. I just checked the Gameplay section in the Options. Enemy Auto-level. "Automatically scale lower level enemies to around your level". For me, it is defaulted to off.

First I'm hearing about it, but this is a welcome option.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Origins is a lot smaller, has much more quality content and the least amount of filler content of the post-Syndicate ACs. So hop in. The world they crated here is soooooo beautiful. Compared to it most of Odyseey and Valhalla seems like straight out of a random generating program. The world of Origins acutally looks handcrafted. It's amazing.

shubik

What a difference 60 FPS makes... I tried the game a couple of weeks on my PS5 and the 30 FPS killed it for me. Now it runs buttery smooth.

Also one thing I really like about this game: When you walk slowly the camera begins to zoom in on you. It almost gets to a point where the camera is as close as in God of war. This way you can see all the little awesome details of your armor. As soon as you start moving fast again, the camera zooms back out. Really cool little camera effect.

Top Bottom