• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

This is the problem I had as well. I quite liked the future story, especially when they were clearly building towards something at the end of AC3 (the ending of AC2 is still my favourite part of the series). IMO they should have cut it completely after that but they decided to half-ass it to keep it going. It's now absolutely pointless, they should be all-in or all-out.

We are the 0.1% :(

I remember doing all the glyph puzzles in AC2 I believe, thinking the meta story was ambitiously crazy and what it could all lead to.

ironcreed

Banned
I know it's not the only positive review. Gamespot however is the outlet that I feel has the most suspect reviews and is hypocritical. That's why I looked to see what they did in their "review".

It seems to me that the general consensus is that it's a strong entry in a successful series and their review reflects that. But whatever, they must have received a nice check, right?

Tovarisc

Wait... I just realised that PC version is basically going head to head with FO4 release, that is going to go well for PC port :/

Fliesen

Ubisoft pandering to people with these thoughts has soured the franchise for me quite a bit.

The series has lost its narrative thrust and I couldn't care less about the shit I do as an assassin because what the hell does it even matter with no future pay off.

I wish the devs could find a happy medium to satisfy both sets of fans, but hey they caved and still sell gangbusters every year.

i don't think that a game needs to have some sort of meta-narrative, to make you root for the protagonists.

Ralemont

not me
The Eurogamer review makes me excited to try this:

First things first, here are all the things Assassin's Creed doesn't have this year. There's no bolted on multiplayer mode or any co-op options. It doesn't have any connections to a broken web service. It doesn't require you to play a companion app to acquire everything in the game. It's like a human being actually sat down to design a game with the simple requirement that it felt fun, rather than it being a £50 experience designed by a committee to link up a web of interconnected transmedia nodes. It's a huge relief. Next, here are all the things Syndicate adds back to the series' sandbox - simple things such as picking up and hiding bodies, whistling to attract attention - as well as several new methods of traversal to reinvigorate the game's parkour gameplay.

Side-missions and objectives have been restructured to give you more reasons to engage with them. Many are now tied to the game's bulging cast of historical characters, meaning you get to hang out with such as Dickens, Darwin, Nightingale, Marx and a young Conan Doyle. Many contacts now have reputation gauges with tiers of powerful rewards - new gear and schematics - which unlock if you continue to engage with their quests. Other open world activities now calm individual areas of the map's half dozen main boroughs, slowly pushing back Templar influence until you trigger a boss for final control, making London a real fight to completely conquer.

The impact of London itself cannot be understated, especially to anyone who is familiar with the city themselves. But, more than Paris, colonial Boston, Constantinople or any other recent creation, it is a space that will feel at least partly familiar to the vast majority of players. There's a genuine thrill to padding around the carpeted floors of Buckingham Palace or scaling the hands of Big Ben's clock tower. By far, it is the best city that Ubisoft has created since Brotherhood's Rome.

Reviews are by and large what I expected. It isn't an AC revolution but if you still enjoy the formula there's a lot to like here.

LifEndz

Nice scores. Had no interest in playing but now I'll probably get it when it's 39.99 for Black Friday. Good job bouncing back from Unity, Ubisoft. Hopefully you let the series breath a minute and take a year off.

I really enjoyed Unity and was planning on picking this up when it hit the 30$ mark. very pleasantly surprised by the review scores here

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wonder if Eurogamer and IGN (the writer, Daniel Krupa, is from IGN UK) are giving it a hometown bump. That's not to say they are "teh bias", it's just how the mind works. There's no doubt I enjoyed AC3 more because I am a Revolutionary War nut.

This was way off my radar but the interest is growing. All the footage looked like crap prior to the release but hearing about a lot of removed features and returning features does make it sound a bit more refined than what they've been churning out for a long time.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So it's actually good?
I wonder if Eurogamer and IGN (the writer, Daniel Krupa, is from IGN UK) are giving it a hometown bump. That's not to say they are "teh bias", it's just how the mind works. There's no doubt I enjoyed AC3 more because I am a Revolutionary War nut.
I'm English and thought AC3 was one of the best AC's in the series

ogbg

Telegraph (4/10) and Videogamer (5/10) are both London-based too

yeah no way this thread is going without a wall of shame, you guys are embarrassing. you'd like to think its some top tier trolling but no one can be that skilled

Whoa, this needs to be saved for posterity. Truly, it's hard to stress how cringe-worthy this is. A GAF wall of shame for the ages.

In any case, it's always good to have reviews and impressions out in the open well in advance. Having spent some time reading and watching, game seems on point. This will be getting a purchase from me.

Wow, the hate train for this game is kind strong here on gaf.

Not just Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft in general.

Seeing 9s from Gamespot and 8s from IGN makes me laugh immensely though. So much for a shit game that I've been reading about from gaf for months now. Metacritic at 78 as well. Seems like a decent discount purchase.

The Ubisoft hate is incredibly toxic here lately and seems like even decent games get turned into garbage in some narratives.

Best wishes.

Nice scores. Had no interest in playing but now I'll probably get it when it's 39.99 for Black Friday. Good job bouncing back from Unity, Ubisoft. Hopefully you let the series breath a minute and take a year off.

I really enjoyed Unity and was planning on picking this up when it hit the 30$ mark. very pleasantly surprised by the review scores here

Lol yeah this is me too. The trouble is, so many good titles coming out November, halo tomb raider, yoshis woolly, battlefront, and a few others I'm not remembering right now without my coffee :)

Good game to have for the cold days of January.

yeah no way this thread is going without a wall of shame, you guys are embarrassing. you'd like to think its some top tier trolling but no one can be that skilled

totally worth it for that 78 metacritic

and one could be made for people who only seem to care about good reviews, too bad the act of actually going through a thread and collecting posts is pathetic and insecure as fuck.

Circle the wagons and bust out your best fedora insults, it's time to defend your favorite video game!

i don't think that a game needs to have some sort of meta-narrative, to make you root for the protagonists.
If that's so, then let's just drop the whole present thing all together, no more hacking, employee taping into the memories, .........etc

Let's just have some Assassins vs Templars stories, I quite liked Desmond and the present stuff cause it added contest, but I don't like what we are getting now, I'm sick of hacking computers and having meaningless present stuff.

danowat

Banned
totally worth it for that 78 metacritic

and one could be made for people who only seem to care about good reviews, too bad the act of actually going through a thread and collecting posts is pathetic and insecure as fuck.

Circle the wagons and bust out your best fedora insults, it's time to defend your favorite video game!

Bans ahoy!

Seriously though, it's fair enough to have an opinion, but you've got to remember that slinging unsubstantiated and potentially libelous accusations of shilling and wrong doing isn't cool.

Yeah I definitely agree with you.

Let's not forget though, the series kicked off with you in Desmond's shoes in 2007.

So Ubi kind of pushed the modern story as a second focus on us and I unfortunately got hooked on it.

It's just disappointing to have it tossed away now but I still have fun jumping around as an assassin and killing fools, just that I don't care why I'm doing it.

Having played it and found it lacking in some areas, I'll admit that I'm surprised by some of the really high scores. Then again, everyone has an opinion and I respect that they're not all going to be the same.

I don't think it's a bad game. It's just flawed and a bit technically problematic.

Karak

LOL someone else finally mentioned the odd pause that happens when diving into the water I talked about. I love it. Its like the character is thinking...that is just nasty lol

Anon67

Seems like good review scores for hated franchises bring the worst out of Gaf. Lmao

Though seriously, it look like this is decent. Might be worth a play-through if I can get it for $30-40.

Lol yeah this is me too. The trouble is, so many good titles coming out November, halo tomb raider, yoshis woolly, battlefront, and a few others I'm not remembering right now without my coffee :)

Good game to have for the cold days of January.

Honestly I think the big issue is Fall and Spring releases are heavy while Winter/Summer get barely anything. If publishers spread out games evenly during the year, then perhaps the "wait for a sale" mentality would not happen.

I know I am busy with DQ Heroes and Disgaea 5 before thinking about starting another game.

Yikes, this thread is gross.

As far as the reviews go that was betrer then what I was expecting. I hope I end up liking it more then Unity or Black Flag.

Top Bottom