• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

BigBoss

I'm thinking about picking up Unity for the PC but I'm a little scared of the performance I'll get on an R9 280, are there any updated benchmarks after all the patches? Can anybody with the same card tell me how good/bad it will run.

NIN90

Is it me or is the parkour in this game awful? It seems like 8 out of 10 times the game makes a completely wrong prediction on where I intend to go. Never had that kind of problem with the other AC games.

Edit: Looks like I'm not alone in this assertion judging by the last two pages.

Gold Member
Is it me or is the parkour in this game awful? It seems like 8 out of 10 times the game makes a completely wrong prediction on where I intend to go. Never had that kind of problem with the other AC games.

Edit: Looks like I'm not alone in this assertion judging by the last two pages.
Yep lol it definitely isn't you :)

styl3s

Maybe someone can help me because i am at my wits end.

I bought a xbox one today that came bundled with Black Flag and Unity along with a audio adapter. I updated my controller and the audio works fine for everything but Unity. It constantly skips so i google and find out they did a patch and i assumed it would automatically patch it when downloading or when i launch it but it doesnt. Uninstalled, re-downloaded and i am still getting this horrific skipping in the audio and i have no fucking idea how to fix this issue.

Maybe someone can help me because i am at my wits end.

I bought a xbox one today that came bundled with Black Flag and Unity along with a audio adapter. I updated my controller and the audio works fine for everything but Unity. It constantly skips so i google and find out they did a patch and i assumed it would automatically patch it when downloading or when i launch it but it doesnt. Uninstalled, re-downloaded and i am still getting this horrific skipping in the audio and i have no fucking idea how to fix this issue.

Hmmm, that is a weird issue. I don't think it has anything to do with Unity though. I have the audio adapter as well, and I've not had issue with it. Sorry. Good luck.

styl3s

Hmmm, that is a weird issue. I don't think it has anything to do with Unity though. I have the audio adapter as well, and I've not had issue with it. Sorry. Good luck.
I'm not experiencing any audio issues with Black Flag, Netflix, Prime or Hulu though :-/

EDIT- Weird, i stopped a game download and it seemed to stop. So, digital games get iffy audio when downloading? or could be that i am using AA batteries with the adapter?

SliChillax

This is by far a better game than Rogue. Great protagonist, amazing visuals and more interesting missions. I can't believe I enjoyed it so much. Bring on AC Victory

Alienous

Has anyone else on PS4 had problems trying to install the most recent update?

I just picked up the game and I cannot get it to work. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.

kamandi

Has anyone else on PS4 had problems trying to install the most recent update?

I just picked up the game and I cannot get it to work. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort.

What kind of trouble you have? I just started to play the game, while downloading the update on the background. Then i updated the game and now it just works fine.

Alienous

What kind of trouble you have? I just started to play the game, while downloading the update on the background. Then i updated the game and now it just works fine.

I'm not sure. The update says that I "must free up 134.3 MB more space" no matter how much I remove, and the 'Preparing to download' for the Update File gets to about 30%, drops to 0, gets up to about 30%, drops to 0, then stops.

Both this patch and Dead Kings won't install. I also have two 'Assassin's Creed Unity's' in my Library, with different logos. I imagine that you don't have that, right?

Ah, it's all very strange and time-consuming.

kamandi

I'm not sure. The update says that I "must free up 134.3 MB more space" no matter how much I remove, and the 'Preparing to download' for the Update File gets to about 30%, drops to 0, gets up to about 30%, drops to 0, then stops.

Both this patch and Dead Kings won't install. I also have two 'Assassin's Creed Unity's' in my Library, with different logos. I imagine that you don't have that, right?

Ah, it's all very strange and time-consuming.

That is really weird. I assume you tried to delete the update bar, and then checked for updates again, obviously. No I have only one logo in my library. It says two add-ons(dead kings and armory pack). I have disc version btw. Maybe it has something to do with that. Either way it's a really confusing thing.

Alienous

That is really weird. I assume you tried to delete the update bar, and then checked for updates again, obviously. No I have only one logo in my library. It says two add-ons(dead kings and armory pack). I have disc version btw. Maybe it has something to do with that. Either way it's a really confusing thing.

Welp, it turns out that my internet connection was just too slow and or spotty for the download preparation to complete. After plugging in an Ethernet cable I took your advice and re-checked for updates and it started downloading.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

Ashtar

So now that we have spotify I figured I'd give the DLC another go as I've been planning on actually playing through it.
Wow I forgot what an utterly frustrating game this is! I was doing one of the clear out missions (kill 3 officers) and it's just so damn clunky!
It's insane to me that this is ubi's premier franchise and yet it has the WORST stealth elements of any ubi game I've played.
How do Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, and even freaking Valiant hearts all have better smoother stealth elements?! my GOD.
I swear this game makes me bipolar when it's good it's good but when it's bad..... man.... would you lookie here!
I'm hoping and praying that Ubi gets it right for Victory because I'm the biggest AC fan I know but this is ridiculous.

Yes I know I posted earlier about how much I liked the game..... but that's beside the point. I like this game a lot but it does have some major issues which I hope get resolved.

kamandi

Welp, it turns out that my internet connection was just too slow and or spotty for the download preparation to complete. After plugging in an Ethernet cable I took your advice and re-checked for updates and it started downloading.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.

Wow, i am glad it worked. I didn't think it would lol. Enjoy :)

Started today with this game, the controls feel so slow and heavy, not only for the character but also for the camera, what the hell have they done?.

Morts

Started today with this game, the controls feel so slow and heavy, not only for the character but also for the camera, what the hell have they done?.

I played the first two hours last night and I agree, it feels very heavy. I'm also having a hard time getting used to the new combat.

Surfheart

The console version is on sale at my local EB and I'm tempted. I steered clear of the game at launch because of all the performance issues and was wondering if the patches have helped any.

I have both Xbone and PS4 is the game performance better on one over the other?

This game really looks like crap with so much sun, it feels like my contrast/brightness is wrong calibrated but is not. Mixed feelings with the game so far.

Flarin

I picked this up a few weeks back when it was $20, and I have to say I'm shockingly surprised. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Yes, it's pretty jenky and rough around the edges, but I have a high tolerance for that sort of thing. Parkour feels great, especially the down climbing. The only real problem I've had is trying to go through windows. Sometimes the game doesn't know what to do there.

I love how open-ended the missions are, especially ones surrounding Notre Dame. So many ways to tackle things. The scale of everything is just awe-inspiring.

I'm obviously the mega minority here, but I'm really shocked at how much I'm liking it so far. Note: I only beat Black Flag and never played any of the others, so take my frame of reference with a grain of salt.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Parkour feels great, especially the down climbing. The only real problem I've had is trying to go through windows. Sometimes the game doesn't know what to do there.

I've had 100% success with that by--when reaching the window's edge--holding L2 ( or LT/PC equivalent) and then moving the stick (or PC navigation input) towards the window. Most people try to do it without pressing L2 at all at first. The game tells you to press L2, which is kind of an inefficient way of explaining it, as pressing often means "press and release". Holding and then navigating works best, I find.

TripOpt55

I decided to give this a rent just to try it out and have been surprised how much I've enjoyed it so far. Paris is great. This kind of architecture was why I liked the Ezio games so much and it was something that was really missing from the past two games. I like the tweaks to the parkour system. Working better than I remember especially when climbing down things. Just running around the world has been fun because of all of this.

The first assassination mission was pretty cool too in that it gave you some optional (I think) things that you could do to make it go better. If they flesh this out some more for the other assassinations in this game, that will be great.

Still a lot of annoying quirks from the series here, but it is definitely my favorite one in years so far. Haven't had any glitches yet either which means I'm either lucky or they were patched out for the most part.

Beat it last night and I must say that despite the story irrelevance, the bugs, the shitty combat system and other stupid design choices, I really enjoyed it but still, Rouge was a better game. But I have more hope now than before, I think one day they will nail it again, even if it takes 100 more games. lol

Can't wait for Chronicles.

Waldini

I bought this game 2 months ago. Can't keep playing with that crappy frame-rate. It's terrible. Gives me splitting headaches when I'm playing for over an hour ...

YoodlePro

Anyone have this problem?

I'm on ps4, and after the first missing I get this cutscene with Bishop, where she "installs" something. However it just hangs, once at 46% once at 9%. What gives?

Anyone have this problem?

I'm on ps4, and after the first missing I get this cutscene with Bishop, where she "installs" something. However it just hangs, once at 46% once at 9%. What gives?

No idea. It went smooth with me.

Anyway, i just started the game yesterday. I decided i would give it a shot after all the bad press and after the patches.

The game is quite enjoyable. Looks good too (considering it's open world).

Some gripes:
- Parkouring is hit or miss.. maybe i need to spend more time with it but there were some anoying moments where the character clearly didn't do what i wanted.
- LOTS and LOTS of glitching and especially clipping npc-s.
- Loadtimes are quite long.

I think the amount of npc-s does make the game more immersive. But then ther glitching and the obvious copypasting just makes it look ridiculous.
So.. they just as well could have made the game with half the npc-s but with more variety and less glitchy.

The game should have been delayed but we all know why it wasn't. and that's a shame. It had soo much potential.

edit: by the way, the soundmix/ sound in this game is pretty bad.

Falchion

Just finished Unity last night and am playing through Dead Kings now. Even though I bought it back in November, I didn't even touch it until March so I missed many of the initial bugs and glitches from launch. I've got to say I really enjoyed it although I pretty much blasted straight through all the story missions without worrying about much of the side stuff.

The love story between Elise and Arno was unexpectedly touching and much more memorable than the drama between Assassins-Templars throughout the game. When I think back about this game in a few years, their relationship will be what I remember most.

In regards to the modern Assassin-Templar war, I actually didn't mind at all that
the game didn't move the needle of their modern conflict at all. I was one of the people who was sick of Desmond and couldn't wait for Ubisoft to get away from him as a story vehicle after III. The game company employee bit from ACIV was refreshing, but it still felt kind of halfhearted and tacked onto the game because the developers felt obliged. With Unity, the whole modern conflict is relayed to you through an Assassin speaking to you over the game every once in a while which was great. I know this won't work for all future games because at some point the plot will need to advance more significantly, but I was happy with the break Unity provided from that conflict.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and will be going back after I beat Dead Kings to do some of the side stuff.

Jelle

Bought this last week after my GPU upgrade and I'm so enjoying this. Wandering around and exploring interesting environments is what I like the most of any AC game and Unity doesn't disappoint so far.

It helps that the bugs have been mostly fixed by now and that the game runs great on my overpriced 980.

I technically got this game's code back in November when I bought an Xbox one, but I didn't use the code until today. I'm still playing Black Flag, but I decided to just get the download started and also download the patch.

So I download the game and then figure I should launch it so it prompts the update.

However, nothing happened :/

How do I check if the game has the patches, and where do I find them?

I technically got this game's code back in November when I bought an Xbox one, but I didn't use the code until today. I'm still playing Black Flag, but I decided to just get the download started and also download the patch.

So I download the game and then figure I should launch it so it prompts the update.

However, nothing happened :/

How do I check if the game has the patches, and where do I find them?

Digital version is always the most up to date version of the game on XBO, so you shouldn't have any prompts to update the game.

Damerman

for the love of everything that is right in this world, how the fuck do i quit the damn dead kings DLC? it literally spoiled the story for me... i thought i was using a fast travel point, and it lead me straight into the DLC... WTF!?

So I took the risk and picked this up hoping that the majority of the technical issues were taken care of, but am now regretting it.

While the world is gorgeous and detailed and evocative and exactly the kind of setting I can lose myself in, and the animations all look to have been redone - the controls are still far, far too finicky for the exactitude you need to accomplish mission objectives in stealth. And man, the last 10 out of 10 times I've failed an objective its been due to controls doing something entirely different than what I was going for. Arno will literally jump to avoid the very things I'm trying to descend carefully upon, including hay stacks of all things. He'll jump past cover and right into the open where the guards can wonder in fright and amazement just how bad one assassin can be. Its been a carnival of stupid where I keep jumping smack dab into the middle of the worst possible positions.

On paper this game has a lot going for it, but god damn the lack of polish when it comes to precision movements is fucking infuriating, and doubly so when you get to enjoy extra long load times in order to get back into it.

Seriously disappointed.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I took the risk and picked this up hoping that the majority of the technical issues were taken care of, but am now regretting it.

While the world is gorgeous and detailed and evocative and exactly the kind of setting I can lose myself in, and the animations all look to have been redone - the controls are still far, far too finicky for the exactitude you need to accomplish mission objectives in stealth. And man, the last 10 out of 10 times I've failed an objective its been due to controls doing something entirely different than what I was going for. Arno will literally jump to avoid the very things I'm trying to descend carefully upon, including hay stacks of all things. He'll jump past cover and right into the open where the guards can wonder in fright and amazement just how bad one assassin can be. Its been a carnival of stupid where I keep jumping smack dab into the middle of the worst possible positions.

On paper this game has a lot going for it, but god damn the lack of polish when it comes to precision movements is fucking infuriating, and doubly so when you get to enjoy extra long load times in order to get back into it.

Seriously disappointed.

If they would just put jog on the friggin analog stick they could reduce so much jank. That is the first thing they need to fix. The next thing is how clunky it is to go in and out of stealth. There's a laggy "hiccup" almost every time you leave cover where he gets his feet all confused. They have only one pose for cover, no matter how you enter or exit, and it makes the game feel super clunky. Could have taken a page from Ground Zeros, but this is Assassins Creed where they spend all their money on the environment and placing markers on the map, instead of iterating on mechanics.

I will not buy the next game.

I will not buy the next game.
I'm done too. I've tried too many times to jump back in and the controls and jank - in situations that matter - always sour the experience.

Its too bad because the revolutionary Paris they've created here is all kinds of amazing, whether walking through the streets or hopping along the rooftops.

But I keep forgetting that AC is a lot of things but its not a great stealth game.

Duxxy3

Decided that I've had enough of the game tonight. When the framerate is smooth, the game is gorgeous. The world, like every AC game, is beautifully put together. Characters and voice actors are solid.

Everything else... wow, what happened? Parkour is horribly consistent (or just consistently bad). Sluggish movement and response time further hinder the game. Combat is a huge step back. The camera doesn't pan out for combat. The more narrow field of view leaves you open for blind attacks. Slow input makes combat even more frustrating.

The sound mix is really something special. Eventually I put away the expensive headphones, less expensive headphones and settled on the mono speaker in my monitor. The mix is so awful that there was little to no difference.

I don't mind a game pushing stealth. Some of my favorite games are those where I can play cat and mouse with the enemy AI. But if you want to push stealth you need to give the player the tools needed. Back stab and air assassination are not enough. Ledge assassinations, corner assassinations and cover assassinations should all be tools usable in a stealth game. Uncharted 2 should not have a better stealth systems than an Assassin's Creed game.

I didn't hate the game, but I found too many things with the game that i did not like to continue playing.

GeoGonzo

He'll jump past cover and right into the open where the guards can wonder in fright and amazement just how bad one assassin can be.
This line cracked me up! Anyway, I agree with the whole post.

Seeing this thread bumped always brings back memories of "ugh such a beautiful city around such a mediocre game"

And hey, have they officially cancelled the tesellation patch yet? No? Simply waiting for everyone to forget about it? Okay then.

TitusTroy

so the promised Nvidia Advanced Tessellation patch will never be released?...too bad as I was looking forward to that...I guess with all the performance issues, adding advanced tessellation would have crippled the game

Well, I got this for £14.80 from Amazon. Thought I'd give it a go, bound to get some fun from it!
Yet to play though as I'm having to download files because they were CORRUPTED on the damn disc during installation! I have never in all my many years had files not install because they were corrupted ON THE DISC. Ubisoft really are dog food are'nt they?
Still, I'll give it a try. After Witcher 3 though I doubt it'll hold up well. Maybe it'll surprise me.

GeoGonzo

Well, I got this for £14.80 from Amazon. Thought I'd give it a go, bound to get some fun from it!
Yet to play though as I'm having to download files because they were CORRUPTED on the damn disc during installation! I have never in all my many years had files not install because they were corrupted ON THE DISC. Ubisoft really are dog food are'nt they?
Still, I'll give it a try. After Witcher 3 though I doubt it'll hold up well. Maybe it'll surprise me.

After Witcher 3? It will surprise you, yes. But not in a good way.

So far it's worked as I expected (which is to say it hasn't crashed or had any noticeable bugs) and it's certainly pretty and atmospheric. But I could only play for an hour before going to work. I certainly do not expect this to be like Witcher 3 in any meaningful way. I just want it to a) work properly and b) be entertaining (to the value of £14.80 anyway). Let's see if it can achieve either, both or none of those things.

Josh5890

I'm in the middle of sequence 4 right now. Does it pick up soon? I've played all of them to this point so I want to finish this game.

Any thoughts?

Peterthumpa

Got the game on the Steam sale and I'm impressed with the performance. It isn't the most optmized game ever, but capping it at 30 FPS with RTSS and forcing adaptative vsync and 1/2 refresh rate, the game flows really nicely and that's with everything on Ultra, TXAA and the first 16:9 resolution above 1080p which I'm not recalling corrrectly right now.

Looks absolutely stunning. Still easily the most beautiful game around.

Nerix

How is the performance of the PS4 version (fps- and graphicwise) with all patches applied?

Just have the option between getting those games (3 for the price of 2):

The Order
Bloodborne
AC Unity
The Witcher 3

TW3 is pretty much set.

Creaking

I'd recommend Bloodborne and then if you like bloat, Unity, if you like a dearth of content, The Order.

Creaking

It's been a while since I've last played. It's still not a solid thirty, and there's notable but besides the usual AC jank, it's not gamebreakingly buggy. The graphics themselves look good though.

Nerix

It's been a while since I've last played. It's still not a solid thirty, and there's notable but besides the usual AC jank, it's not gamebreakingly buggy. The graphics themselves look good though.
Ok, thx. It´ll probably be a decision between The Order and AC Unity.

I liked the setting of the souls games, but I wasn´t a friend of the gameplay. How about Bloodborne then, a chance of liking it when you don´t like the souls games that much?

Creaking

Ok, thx. It´ll probably be a decision between The Order and AC Unity.

I liked the setting of the souls games, but I wasn´t a friend of the gameplay. How about Bloodborne then, a chance of liking it when you don´t like the souls games that much?

I've only played and beaten Demon's Souls. Haven't gotten around to getting either of the two Dark Souls, and only played the Bloodeborne Alpha. As someone who liked but isn't ecstatic about Demon's Souls or the Souls series, I enjoyed everything in the Alpha up to the boss (The Cleric Beast). Combat feels much faster, and is more rewarding of aggressive play by letting you heal damage taken if you can land attacks shortly after getting hit. There's a lot more flow to the combat too. More ways to string attacks together and trade between speed and range and stamina on the fly.

I didn't like the boss mostly because the camera sucked and the area of combat felt too narrow. Still, the rest was great, and maybe they've fixed the camera issues. Mostly I recommended Bloodborne because of the general praise it's gotten compared to the more divisive other two games.

Top Bottom