• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa (Console) |OT| Kunos tries to console us.

ghibli99

I just purchased the game and I'm so disappointed that the hud in game is tiny at 4k. Is there anyway of modifying it to scale with the resolution?
Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you playing this in 4K? Unless you're on PC and you wandered into the wrong thread. :)

I do, pre my console days, I was a big PC racing sim gamer.
No, I mean current titles and wheels. Playing a last-gen title with my TX feels a generation behind and going to my T500 even in a newer game, makes it feel old as well.

I had a wheel until 2005 and it I didn't really get anything from it. These newer wheels and FFB calculated from suspension geometry on this-gen tire models is a whole different ballpark.
Admittedly, rFactor 1 was probably very close, and if you had a Logitech G25 or G27 that's not far off current-gen. Don't know about Live For Speed, but even the SimBin titles from last gen feel feel... well, "last-gen" in terms of FFB-fidelity.

My original reason to buy a wheel again after many years without one, was that I just had enough of Forza 5 telling me "no, you can't take this turn at a smaller radius, you will spin, I won't let you, this radius here is the smallest I will allow" and thought "Bullshit, just let me spin then! I could be so much faster without this speed-senstivity/maximum slip-angle garbage". That's why I think, especially slow turns in FWD cars in general or RWD with low power ...or too much power that you have to control with a trigger-input are hard to judge on a controller (trail-braking is terrible too). Be aware, I'm not saying "impossible to judge"!

In my personal opinion, no other game gets countersteering, or shaking the wheel to find grip... or fucking it up and managing your slide feel so natural as Assetto Corsa... if anything, I'd say it's too forgiving on slicks and semi-slicks.

Sorry, if all that made me sound like a fanboy. I don't think "AC is the most realistic it can get, they get everything right blabla". AC does quite a few things in very simple ways as simulations go, but once I sit behind the wheel in AC coming from most other racing games, my brain goes "oh god, this SO GOOD!" in almost every car. When Soundscream posted his "almost tears of joy"-thing a few pages back, I knew EXACTLY how he felt. And you don't need to go fast or drift around to get that, even a sunday drive or track-"walk" can do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how are you playing this in 4K? Unless you're on PC and you wandered into the wrong thread. :)
Where else should he ask? The Early Access AC thread is somewhat abandoned. Yes, I know, PC racing sims thread, but if I wouldn't know about it, I'd ask here too. If PC players aren't welcome, I guess, I should leave.

danowat

Banned
In my personal opinion, no other game gets countersteering, or shaking the wheel to find grip... or fucking it up and managing your slide feel so natural as Assetto Corsa... if anything, I'd say it's too forgiving on slicks and semi-slicks.

I agree, I don't think I've played a car that gets the feeling of grip transition from grip to slide and back again as good as AC does, and that's even with a pad, it feels so, so good.

The 155 DTM car shows this off so well.

As for wheels, I just don't have the room for one, my gaming is pretty sporadic, and I only tend to jump on for 30mins or an hour here and there, and I just can't be bothered to setup a wheel and stand for the sake of 30mins racing and then put it away again.

Jamesways

Dan, thanks for posting your settings. I fiddled for a few more hours last night and your settings were a great starting point. The sensitivity and speed were reversed from mine, and it made a lot more sense after Tyler's explanation and info from the forums.

So thanks guys, I finally feel like I have them dialed in, they work great for both the race cars and road cars.

Very enjoyable racing at last. Now get that DLC out!

danowat

Banned
Dan, thanks for posting your settings. I fiddled for a few more hours last night and your settings were a great starting point. The sensitivity and speed were reversed from mine, and it made a lot more sense after Tyler's explanation and info from the forums.

So thanks guys, I finally feel like I have them dialed in, they work great for both the race cars and road cars.

Very enjoyable racing at last. Now get that DLC out!

I've tweaked them again since!!!, I'll post them, but I am off to Iceland tonight, so it won't be till I get back next Wednesday.

Jamesways

Chewed through a tier of the career, post patch this is awesome.

I really hopes the patch drops for you Xbox folks soon, it's like a different game. Can't wait for the dlc in the next few days.

I'll post my pad settings tonight too.

Jamesways

Pad settings I've landed on for now-

Speed Sensitivity- 63%
Steering Speed- 11%
Steering Deadzone- 8%
Steering Filter- 62%
Steering Gama- 2.9

TTG

Chewed through a tier of the career, post patch this is awesome.

I really hopes the patch drops for you Xbox folks soon, it's like a different game. Can't wait for the dlc in the next few days.

I'll post my pad settings tonight too.

Can you go into a little more detail on where the controls have improved? Lift off oversteer on turn in used to be a major issue as the game equated max input on the dual shock to instant inhuman steering lock and throttle position was the only way to correct a slide for the same reasons. Has that changed?

Klocker

Well my slid show was greatly improved by removing and installing the game again xbox

Much better playable at least

Still want the patch but at least it's working finally

cooldawn

Pad settings I've landed on for now-

Speed Sensitivity- 63%
Steering Speed- 11%
Steering Deadzone- 8%
Steering Filter- 62%
Steering Gama- 2.9
I've just tried these setting and...I can't believe how bad they are. The slightest flick through a slow-speed corner and 90% of the time i'm in an uncontrollable spin. Yes, slow speed physics may not be the genre's strong point but I have never experience anything quite this bad. I'm doing 360's at 4 miles per hour...with no throttle from a near stand-still (spin recovery). You can even do this in the sand! The car just keeps wanting to go in circles. The tyres don't have any impact at slower speeds. Because what? Forget about taking a kerb because...well there's another spin coming.

I've watch the BTCC all season and those guys attack kerbs knowing what the car will do. Those guys vault and yet, the cars don't spin. Unfortunately Assetto Corsa doesn't impart the same confidence at all.

I'm getting really annoyed, angry and disappointed. It's the first game this generation, in fact the first driving game since I've been buying them, that I feel there is no solution for the physics engine behind the game.

Say what you like about Project CARS but, at the end of the day, with all the assists off (bar ABS) and using a controller, I still feel confident attacking kerbs, manipulating slow-speed corners and any mistakes are purely my own doing.

EDIT: Sorry, it seems I'm really upset by this. I just wanted to really like another great racing game but it's just not working.

Jamesways

edit- sorry they don't work for you.

Also how fricking rude.

Try Dan's if you don't want to take the time to sort out your own. Or it sounds like you should trade the game in at this point if you're not enjoying it at all.

TTG- they fixed the broken gama and deadzone settings for the pad. Steering (for some apparently) is smoother. Check out the patch notes for more details.

Klocker

Finally got the Xbone patch and I'm working on some pad settings but it seems much improved however after several hot lap tests it went back to a slideshow ...apparently there is a memory leak or something on Xbox that they did not resolve

Jamesways

Cooldawn, really obvious question, but have you tried the defaults since the patch?
I hadn't. I've been tweaking for hours from where mine were post patch. Then tried Shift /pCARS type settings. Then tried Dan's and worked from there.

The default isn't that bad. A good starting point.

Jamesways

There are some fantastic feeling cars in the Prestige and Japanese pack.

I'd love to see some additional tracks for this at some point.

PC guys, do you know if the Porsche packs have a GT3 entry planned?

danowat

Banned
There are some fantastic feeling cars in the Presteige and Japanese pack.

I haven't tried to Japanese pack yet, but I would say that the cars in the Prestige and Performance packs are probably some of the best cars in the whole game.

Jamesways

I haven't tried to Japanese pack yet, but I would say that the cars in the Prestige and Performance packs are probably some of the best cars in the whole game.
Totally agree. I was really sirprised at some of the Japanese cars too.
Love the lively MX-5 Cup cars.

Some great additions for sure.

Unknown?

Finally got the Xbone patch and I'm working on some pad settings but it seems much improved however after several hot lap tests it went back to a slideshow ...apparently there is a memory leak or something on Xbox that they did not resolve
Kunos: I just can't do it captain, I don't have thee power!

Totally agree. I was really sirprised at some of the Japanese cars too.
Love the lively MX-5 Cup cars.

Some great additions for sure.

I LOVE that car! I wish you could try the 1st gen miata mod, I bet you'd like that too... very soft in comparison and totally underpowered, but still really fun.

I think the MX-5 Cup, the Alfa GTA and the m235i race car are my favorites for just driving (love the Maserati 250f 12 cylinder too, if I'm in the right mood, but I'm still terrible with it).

Klocker

Kunos: I just can't do it captain, I don't have thee power!
Finally was able to get a few races in a row without the stuttering issue where it dropped to 10 frames per second in the past. it appears as though it's something to do with the Xbox OS anytime the OS does anything especially if you leave the game and resume and come back to it the game cannot handle it.

it has to be stopped and started fresh every time you play it. Even making a game clip brings this game to a halt...

but I have to say now that I've gotten a chance to really play the game the feeling of driving these cars is unlike any of the other console Racers I have played project cars and Forza etc. The driving can't hold a candle to this even though the graphics aren't as good in AC.

Cars feel so good ... Using Elite pad btw

Edit:. Geezus and just like that... Next race is a friggin slide show. Stuttering all to hell

TJP

There are some fantastic feeling cars in the Prestige and Japanese pack.

You'd think a GT3 car was going to be part of the upcoming DLC! I have the paid for Assetto 991 which is okay and provides a "what might be" for an official car from Kunos.

As for the released DLC on PC, I don't believe there is a single dud package released to date; just a few underwhelming cars & all in the Japanese pack were good. I wish we had a Mines GTR or a triple rotor RX-7 (as in a 20B) however we PC guys can mod these into the sim rather easily if you have the dyno charts.

I've already modelled a 640 hp 13B bridge ported & turbo'd RX-7 with a 6 speed gearbox with adjustable brake bias & 4 step traction control and made the Mines R34 GTR (at least hp wise) and guessed at the braking upgrades. It's not as hard as it sounds to do, especially if I can do it!

cooldawn

edit- sorry they don't work for you.

Also how fricking rude.

Try Dan's if you don't want to take the time to sort out your own. Or it sounds like you should trade the game in at this point if you're not enjoying it at all.
I'm not giving up. No chance.

I think we have completely different driving styles which is why I can't use your settings but I don't know how you counter aggressive oversteer when the car want's to flick out so readily during cornering and over kerbs. Your settings feel way too twitchy for me; the slightest touch induces something I never want. I'm confused and amazed at how you do it.

Honestly, I have been trying to find my own way. I spend about three to four hours on Thursday using the Alfa 155 at Imola to try and get the settings right. The patched controls are better than day one, way better, but they are still too undefined for my liking.

One complaint is to get the car feeling progressive I had to ramp-up the Steering Speed to 100 which induces understeer at all times but I could regulate speed better through a corner and kerbs felt better, more towards what I expected. However, I didn't like that because in racing conditions after a short amount of laps tyres would be near useless and it looked stupid. So after those few hours I fell upon these setting:
- Speed Sensitivity 100%
- Steering Speed 0%
- Steering Deadzone 8%
- Steering Filter 0%
- Steering Gamma 4.0

For now though I've eradicated the instant lock steering and somewhat replicated the smoothness of understeer, basically retaining the stability without looking stupid. I'm getting closer to what I feel it should be like.

Cooldawn, really obvious question, but have you tried the defaults since the patch?
I hadn't. I've been tweaking for hours from where mine were post patch. Then tried Shift /pCARS type settings. Then tried Dan's and worked from there.

The default isn't that bad. A good starting point.
To be fair I haven't, but I do reset to default to try things out.

It does seem strange getting the best feel for me is either 0% or 100%. Fine-tuning to other values doesn't seem to help at all but I'll try again and work up or down from those settings above rather than from default all the time.

Jamesways

I LOVE that car!

I think the MX-5 Cup, the Alfa GTA and the m235i race car are my favorites for just driving
The Mazda was a real surprise. I can see I'm going to spend quite a bit of time doing cup races with that. Aside from the GT3 class where I usually stick with.

The BMW was an instant favorite when I tried that, it'll be fun to try and mimic Lower class Nurb races.

It's amazing how different even these two cars feel. It really is a testament to Kunos that each car has its own physics. You really notice in this and pCARS as opposed to some other games. Sure makes tuning control
settings interesting depending on your test car.

And I'll add in the Lotus Evora GTC (with ALMS Battery Tender livery for bonus points) as another favorite lower class racer.

Not in the first Porsche Pack, but yes, a GT3 is planned.
Great, thanks!

You'd think a GT3 car was going to be part of the upcoming DLC! I have the paid for Assetto 991 which is okay and provides a "what might be" for an official car from Kunos.

As for the released DLC on PC, I don't believe there is a single dud package released to date; just a few underwhelming cars & all in the Japanese pack were good. I wish we had a Mines GTR or a triple rotor RX-7 (as in a 20B) however we PC guys can mod these into the sim rather easily if you have the dyno charts.

I've already modelled a 640 hp 13B bridge ported & turbo'd RX-7 with a 6 speed gearbox with adjustable brake bias & 4 step traction control and made the Mines R34 GTR (at least hp wise) and guessed at the braking upgrades. It's not as hard as it sounds to do, especially if I can do it!
thays great to hear about future DLC.

It's nuts that you guys have dyno templates to create cars. I imagine it takes a lot of time for tweaking to get things just right.
I could see myself getting obsessed creating GT entries. Similar to how I used to spend hundreds of hours painting race replicas in Forza. Ah life before wife and kids...

Just makes me wonder how many hours goes into people missing tracks.

I'm not giving up. No chance.

I think we have completely different driving styles which is why I can't use your settings but I don't know how you counter aggressive oversteer when the car want's to flick out so readily during cornering and over kerbs. Your settings feel way too twitchy for me; the slightest touch induces something I never want. I'm confused and amazed at how you do it.

Honestly, I have been trying to find my own way. I spend about three to four hours on Thursday using the Alfa 155 at Imola to try and get the settings right. The patched controls are better than day one, way better, but they are still too undefined for my liking.

One complaint is to get the car feeling progressive I had to ramp-up the Steering Speed to 100 which induces understeer at all times but I could regulate speed better through a corner and kerbs felt better, more towards what I expected. However, I didn't like that because in racing conditions after a short amount of laps tyres would be near useless and it looked stupid. So after those few hours I fell upon these setting:
- Speed Sensitivity 100%
- Steering Speed 0%
- Steering Deadzone 8%
- Steering Filter 0%
- Steering Gamma 4.0

For now though I've eradicated the instant lock steering and somewhat replicated the smoothness of understeer, basically retaining the stability without looking stupid. I'm getting closer to what I feel it should be like.

To be fair I haven't, but I do reset to default to try things out.

It does seem strange getting the best feel for me is either 0% or 100%. Fine-tuning to other values doesn't seem to help at all but I'll try again and work up or down from those settings above rather than from default all the time.

I'm going to try out yours too. I prefer some understeer feeling as well. I understand what you mean, I'm still trying to iron out the snap oversteer too.
Have you tried bumping the filter up? I'm finding the filter up with conjunction of gama helps smooth out inputs.

My pCARS and Shift settings were similar to yours, sensitivity way down, speed sensitivity way up.

One thing I forgot to note before I posted the settings is that I use factory for abs and tc. And I'll even add stm at various percentages too. So no wonder mine felt so different to you, I tried them with aids off and got similar results.

And like I said it depends on the car too. Some cars feel very sensitive and squirrelly compared to others like the race cars which feel quite planted.

After trying the defaults I'm still adjusting as well. It'll take some time. But we're along the lines I believe, the only major difference is my filter value is still high.

I do think it feels great overall though. I didn't feel like I had any confidence or consistency in the road car handing in pCARS. the race cars felt awesome but some of the road cars were so frustrating to drive.

In AC they react how you feel they should, more predictable in general.

Great game. New favorite circuit racer for sure. And I love pCARS so that's saying a lot.

Klocker

This game is ridiculous have to clear my cache on my Xbox every time I want to play the game so it doesn't stutter down to 10 frames per second ...fed up with this crap

Edit: clear cache requires complete shut down and unplug

TJP

It's nuts that you guys have dyno templates to create cars. I imagine it takes a lot of time for tweaking to get things just right.
I could see myself getting obsessed creating GT entries. Similar to how I used to spend hundreds of hours painting race replicas in Forza. Ah life before wife and kids...

Just makes me wonder how many hours goes into people missing tracks.
You can find a lot of dyno graphs online that plot torque and HP for a variety of cars - I've done a 320 RWHP N/A NSX too :)

The thing is once you have the tools - all of which are readily available - it takes a just little time to mod engine output to match the real world numbers. Kunos made it rather easy even for plebs like me.

Did you hear SimBin are back and will be working with Sector 3 and will be doing console work in the future as part of their remit (British meaning). You're likely need even more time some time in the future.

MGR

This game is ridiculous have to clear my cache on my Xbox every time I want to play the game so it doesn't stutter down to 10 frames per second ...fed up with this crap

Edit: clear cache requires complete shut down and unplug

Try putting your Xbox into 'offline' mode. Somebody on the official forums solved their stuttering problem with this.

Klocker

Try putting your Xbox into 'offline' mode. Somebody on the official forums solved their stuttering problem with this.

Cool will try this thanks for the heads up

Edit: seemed to do the trick. Played longer tonight than ever without stuttering. Hopefully this leads them to a patch thanks

Marco posted this on Facebook earlier:

Just some quick note for our AC fans, before the official announcement: the Porsche Pack Volume 1 will be released on Steam on October 25th, and on PS4 and XB1 as soon as Sony and Microsoft approve the new build, since the approval process on console is not under our control. I'm glad to confirm that Steam approved our request to provide a Season Pass for the Porsche DLCs, that should be available by next week. The Season Pass will cost 15 Eur and it will allow to get all the 3 Porsche DLCs through a unique purchase, saving 28% of the full price. Each DLC will include 7 Porsche models, and will be available at the price of 6,99 Eur on PC, PS4 and XB1. About the list of cars included in the Porsche program, stay tuned. The cars included in the Vol.1: 911 Carrera S, 935 Moby Dick, 918 Spyder, Cayman GT4 Clubsport, 718 Cayman S, 917/30, 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 1974, to provide a perfect mix between road, racing and historic cars. As bonus free content available in the next update of Assetto Corsa, we'll release Silverstone 60's and the new Porsche Panamera G2.

DasRaven

Porsche Pack 1 Out Now on Steam, Consoles Soon!
911 Carerra RSR 3.0
991.2 S
918 Spyder
Cayman GT4 clubsport
718 Cayman S
35/78 Moby Dick
917/30
+Porsche Panamera G2 Turbo
+Silverstone 1967 historic track

Porsche Pack 2 Contents (out in 1 month)
911 GT3 RS
718 Spyder RS
Cayman GT4
718 Boxster S Manual Transmission
718 Boxster S PDK (hopefully one Boxster is top up, the other top down)
919 Hybrid 2015
911 GT1

Porsche Pack 3 Contents (out in 2 months)
962c Long Tail
962c Short Tail
911 GT3 Cup 2017
911 GT3 RSR 2017
911 GT3 R 2015
919 Hybrid 2016
908 LH
917 K
911 R

Add to that, the Panamera G1, Macan, and Cayenne coming free also and Kunos has made the best possible use of their Porsche license. Season Pass Get!

Porsche Pack 3 Contents (out in 2 months)
962c Long Tail
962c Short Tail
911 GT3 Cup 2017
911 GT3 RSR 2017
911 GT3 R 2015
919 Hybrid 2016
908 LH
917 K
911 R

962c should be November... or is it different on console??
There should also be 2 more tracks coming this year (a US track and a fantasy road course).

danowat

Banned
Is it down to the console manufacturers or Kunos? Steam allows PC dev's free rein over releases and patches.

It'll be worth the wait ;)

Kunos, I know there is a slight lag in certification for the console over the PC, but not as much as the delay there is.

The console version just isn't up to scratch with the PC version, it's quite a way behind, and it won't catch up any time soon.

CaVaYeRo

505, Kunos and Porsche held a presentation event the other day for all the new content at Vallelunga. The co-op work behind all this and the recreation of the new Porsche cars (both looks and handling) is just amazing. Had the chance to compare vs the real deal and it's scaringly natural when you go from driving to sitting on the sim.

We have report on the event, interviews with Kunos, Porsche, etc. Plenty of talk, but ask if in doubt.

They even brought the crazy beast 918 Spyder to the venue o_O

Top Bottom