• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

cormack12

Gold Member
For context Sackboy had 6 worlds and 90 levels, and around half of those were critical path while the rest were side missions and trials etc

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont mind playing full price for this, it look full fledged game while Playroom was demo teaser for this game.

Dafegamer

People who played Astros Playroom, you've seen nothing yet. Was a great palate cleanser but try Rescue Mission if you want continued Peak, which this game seem to be base more of. Looks closer to sequel of Rescue Mission, than Playroom but without VR

Zathalus

I do wonder if this would come to PC. I'd imagine it is going to leverage the Dualsense quite heavily, which works on PC albeit requiring a cable for all features. Maybe Sony should release an official dongle for PC? It would probably boost Dualsense adoption and sales on PC as well.

I'm buying this day one on PS5 regardless, just speculation on my part.

Borowski_1

I do wonder if this would come to PC. I'd imagine it is going to leverage the Dualsense quite heavily, which works on PC albeit requiring a cable for all features. Maybe Sony should release an official dongle for PC? It would probably boost Dualsense adoption and sales on PC as well.

I'm buying this day one on PS5 regardless, just speculation on my part.

This, like Playroom before it, is a celebration of the Playstation brand.

It wouldn't resonate with some PC players

Borowski_1

People who played Astros Playroom, you've seen nothing yet. Was a great palate cleanser but try Rescue Mission if you want continued Peak, which this game seem to be base more of. Looks closer to sequel of Rescue Mission, than Playroom but without VR
Makes me wanna buy a PS VR 1

eerik9000

For the love of humanity, I hope it will be priced lower than the regular €80. Not because it is not worth it, I would pay €100 for it if needed, but to give it better chance to reach as many kids as possible. It is pure unadulterated joy. It would be a dark day if some misery generator can be picked up for €30 but Astro Bot goes for €80...

I don't agree that it was much greater. Both were on a high level though. Rescue was more a full game, while playroom with its charming PS brand celebration and showcasing the new controller was ideal as a pack in game. Rescue mission much like all VR1 games suffered from headset drift or whatever you can call it. The camera and the blue lights did absolutely not what they were supposed to do and after every half hour I was sitting with my back towards the camera, so totally twisted on my sit.
Maybe Sony should release an official dongle for PC?
There does not need to be anything "official". Just like pairing it with Android and other devices it just needs any capable Bluetooth adapter, so an offical dongle will certainly do but any other unbranded USB-Bluetooth adapter or built in BT on your mainboard would do the same. Sony just needs to unlock and or program it legitimately. But Sony is weird in many instances. I can use my DS4 on my PS3, but can't do the same with the Dualsense on PS4? PS3 arcadesticks are allowed on PS4, but not Logitech G25/27 wheels. I can remote play with DS4 my PS5 but can not use it natively. I cannot use my 360 controller for PS4 remote games that definitely don't have any DS4 requirements since that game is also on Xbox. Sony is way too protective over their stuff and should unlock anything that is possible and just sell peripherals and be THE brand on PC.

Musilla

d9dKamG.gif

d9dKYes.gif

d9dBh7t.gif

Quantum253

I will buy it despite being salty for non-VR (Rescue Mission is my top 2 PS game last gen) but for the general audience, the price is extremely risky.
At least it's more of something you know you already have loved (if you played the two prior demos). I'd say there are some $60+ games coming out that are way riskier then Astro.

Edit: You as in the general public and not you specifically.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

See some previews posted and read/watched a couple already but Shinobi covers it pretty well here overall. Me thinks this game is gonna be a banger.

Sick, difficulty options. The only hard stuff in previous astrobots were the time trials. I hope they didn't hold back on the hard difficulty.

Funny how this was supposed to be the year that PS5 would be missing heavy hitters...and every single game either from Sony studios or 3rd party exclusives have been winners: Helldivers 2, TLOU2 Remastered, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FFVII Rebirth, now this one. Only Concord doesn't have opinions for now but, holy shit...if this is a bad year i can't imagine 2025 (which will have stuff like Death Stranding 2 already)

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ratchet & Clank sold 1.6 million copies in its first month.

I hope this sells over 2 million copies in the first month.

nial

Gold Member
Amazing previews all around! I am not big into platformers, but Astro's Playroom was such an amazing tech demo, I am in day 1 for Astro Bot. And, Astro's Playroom being bundled with every PS5 will no doubt be the best marketing for this game. It will be Playstation's first big successful platformer since the PS2 days, imo
Sony's most successful platformer is Ratchet & Clank 2016 on PlayStation 4.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Apparently there's actually many ex Nintendo devs that actually worked on Super Mario Galaxy/ 3d World etc
I don't know how true this is given that they have expanded a lot, but Astro's Playroom mostly had staff from games like Gravity Rush, Knack, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, etc.

I don't know how true this is given that they have expanded a lot, but Astro's Playroom mostly had staff from games like Gravity Rush, Knack, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot Rescue Mission, etc.
Yeah the whole Nintendo developers having a significant credit in turning the game how it is.. is silly.

This is studio is developers of former Studio Japan teams downsized into one team. They already had 3 Astrobot games under their belt.

nial

Gold Member
Did that sell 5 million units?
7 million units, but now I realize that I'm probably wrong, because both Crash 2 and 3 did outsell it by a small amount. 🤔
Still, it managed to do better than any of their PS2 platformers (those didn't really do that great outside of R&C and J&D1).

MacReady13

If this is half as good as the VR Astro Bot game, then it could be a game of the year contender. Seriously, that Astro Bot VR game was incredibly good. This has a lot to live up to but I'm certain they'll make an instant classic.

Yo this has actually been a pretty stacked year for PS5 console exclusives no?

Helldivers 2 (Banger)
Rise of Ronin (Critcally ok but commercial banger)
FF7 Rebirth (Banger)
Stellar Blade (Banger)
Astro Bot (Assuredly banger)
Concord (Not sure about this one)
Silent Hill 2 (hopefully banger)
Astro Bot is the only exclusive on that list.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
7 million units, but now I realize that I'm probably wrong, because both Crash 2 and 3 did outsell it by a small amount. 🤔
Still, it managed to do better than any of their PS2 platformers (those didn't really do that great outside of R&C and J&D1).

So now we have a target number. Hopefully this beats 7 million sold.
Astro Bot is the only exclusive on that list.

So you're saying Xbox has no exclusives then?

Top Bottom