• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

midnightAI

It looks very good but the lack of VR support is a downer. If you ever played the psvr1 game you know exactly how much is missing. Ignorance is bliss though. I'll have to try and rewire my brain somehow to enjoy it. Luckily many of you don't know what you're missing.
I've played Rescue Mission in VR and Playroom on PS5, both are great. If you have played Playroom you know what to expect.

Hopefully it won't be $70 . $50 would be fine. Not that the game couldn't be good enough to warrant it, but outside of Mario, Ratchet etc I don't think platformers can command that kind of price. Sackboy was a decent game but I was not paying full price for that. Waited for a sale before picking it up.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Hello, I'm your friendly neighborhood AI translator. What you probably are trying to ask is "Isn't Astro Bot just a Sackboy with a robot costume?"

To which the answer is "no, fuck off".
He probably speaks Spanish as his 1st language. I think everyone got what he meant.

Fbh

Does Astro Bot is not just Sack boy with a robot costime?

Sort of, though personally I like this robot aesthetic and cartoony CG look more than the arts and craft look of Little Big Planet.
Also while little big planet had the level creator stuff, the actual gameplay was never really good. The platoforming always felt floaty and unresponsive.

Alebrije

Hello, I'm your friendly neighborhood AI translator. What you probably are trying to ask is "Isn't Astro Bot just a Sackboy with a robot costume?"

To which the answer is "no, fuck off".
what-meme-498-x-496-gif-3yfi3w6zwffkmm6r.webp

Audiophile

Lots of either-or / back and forth between the VR and non-VR crowd. Ideal approach to me is make the best game they can for PS5 and for flat panel; taking advantage of the traditional format and a large target audience to try and cement the franchise; and then port over/adapt Rescue Mission for PSVR2 a little bit after (not saying it's a cakewalk, but it's not a big ask).

Then if Astro Bot is successful, spawn off a small-ish team to work on Rescue Mission II for PSVR2; with a moderate scope and make that the very best game it can be for the VR format. Time its release with a price drop on PSVR2 (no way that thing is selling near cost) and make it cross-platform with the new PSVR2 PC support to give it a greater chance.

Ideally -- and again, if successful... -- they could be expanded to not only make large scale, mainline, flat-panel Astro Bot games but moderate scale, VR Rescue Mission games. A lot of tech, ideas/concepts and other stuff could be shared but each type of game will get to be the best it can be for its respective format.

Last edited:

TheTony316

No.

They could have made it hybrid and it would have sold as well and been better. The first game was vr exclusives and Sony reacted by building the studio up more. This shift from what fans liked in the past is baseless.

Oh ok. I thought you meant PSVR2 exclusive.

Astro Bot has come a long way. Created by the Tokyo-based developers at Team Asobi, the character first arrived in 2013's The Playroom, a collection of augmented-reality games that featured this adorably pint-sized bot living inside the DualShock 4 game controller. From there, Astro Bot became the star of 2020's Astro's Playroom, a free demo that came with every PS5 console to help get players acquainted with the new tech in a fun, interactive way.

Now the lil' mechanical tyke is getting their first full-fledged platform game. Team Asobi announced the new title during Thursday's PlayStation "State of Play" presentation, and studio head Nicolas Doucet gives Entertainment Weekly exclusive intel on what we can expect when the game launches this Sep. 6 on the PS5.

"We wanted to make a big game," Doucet tells EW of the platformer with more than 80 different levels. "This is really about going up one notch — really several notches — and having Astro's big story. We call it Astro Bot because we treat this as a new beginning. That's a really, really big game. I think for us, that's the biggest game we've ever made."

Astro Bot

Astro Bot Kratos is just one of the many PlayStation Easter eggs in the new 'Astro Bot' game.
TEAM ASOBI/SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT

The premise centers around an incident that breaks apart Astro's DualSense Spaceship (in the form of PlayStation gaming equipment) and scattering its bits across the universe. The bot now has to embark on a mission to find all the pieces.

According to Doucet, there are 80 planets spread out across six galaxies. One world, he explains, features an island in the form of a giant crab. Others, as seen in the announcement trailer released on Thursday, feature other environments like jungle, volcanic, and desert. "We really wanted to make sure that the player had a renewed experience every 10 minutes or so," he says.

And similar to Astro's Playroom, there will be various bot versions of classic PlayStation characters encountered along the way, including Kratos from God of War, Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Aloy from the Horizon games, and the titular duo from Ratchet and Clank.

Behind the scenes, Doucet calls the game a "PlayStation fiesta," given that it's stacked with so many callouts to the entire history of PlayStation. There's even a bot version of PaRappa the Rapper, the hip-hop canine star first introduced back in the 1990s. It's not a coincidence, either, that Astro Bot is arriving during the yearlong 30th anniversary of PlayStation celebration.

"It's a kind of eye candy," Doucet says of all the cameos. "There's going to be more. We're going to be talking over time about what they mean to the game, but, yes, there's going to be a big reunion. There's a lot of characters from the PlayStation universe crossing over with Astro's path. It's an Astro Bot story, of course, with Astro being the main character, but there's a lot of PlayStation characters that play a part."

It's more than just characters from PlayStation's vast lexicon, though. Scenes from the trailer feature the Whispy Woods tree from the world of Kirby, as well as an Aladdin-style dark genie that serves as a boss.

Astro Bot

'Astro Bot'.

"I would say it's pop culture in general in a very broad sense," Doucet remarks of those reveals. "That's something we've always done as part of our games — look at iconic real-world inspirations, a lot of them from Hollywood movies or famous animation — and looking at themes that really cross generations."

It's surreal that Team Asobi can now count Astro Bot as a character on par with the likes of Kratos and all of PlayStation's other first-party heavy hitters that the new game features in some way. Doucet recalls how Astro's Playroom "was really about focusing on the PS5 and sharing what we could do with the controller." He notes, "The charm of Astro and how he resonated with people went beyond what we expected. At that point, we decided to make a big game."

Don't let the Easter eggs and Kratos cameo fool you. "The core effort has gone into making Astro's own game so that he can stand on his own feet as a new PlayStation character with a good reputation and confidence," Doucet adds. "But also on top of that, there is this whole coating of nostalgia."

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Rerelease the Astro nendoroid damnit!
Is it out of stock? Would love to get it someday, it's so damn cute.
kIe4CPi.jpeg

Recent SIE X Good Smile collabs have been pretty good, even the AMTT-519M Shikon from Gunparade March is getting a Moderoid this June.
NhE9d9L.jpeg

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Pretty sweet move dropping this before Uncle Nintendo drops off the next Mario evolution.

The way they describe the powers you obtain throughout, along with the level design makes it seem like it’ll have some Metroidian elements which is going to make it all the more nuts.

The game is going to quick drain your controller battery like a motherfucker 🤣

Last edited:
Mario hasn’t been great since Galaxy. Team Asobi has been eating their lunch

Mario Switch 2 won’t look anywhere near as good as a ps5 game.

Nintendo fanboys need to settle down with their need to always be better when truth is their Mario games have been severely lacking for generations
Wait, what? Odyssey and Wonder were great.

But there was a pretty long interregnum between Galaxy and Odyssey/Wonder for sure. The New Super Mario games and Super Mario 3D games were very mediocre.

Wonko_C

I want people to really understand something.....

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

As in....the best platformer ever made.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

You don't understand, because you just don't know.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.

It can't, the same way a 2D game can't beat a 3D one, the technological leap is massive and it impacts gameplay and level design in ways a "flat" game cannot replicate.

The poster is spot-on. While we understand the financial/commercial reasons to make this game for everybody, a native VR version would blow it out of the water. Its going from "cute platformer that borrows from the best" (what journos will say about this one) to genre-defining, miles ahead of everybody else.

It looks very good but the lack of VR support is a downer. If you ever played the psvr1 game you know exactly how much is missing. Ignorance is bliss though. I'll have to try and rewire my brain somehow to enjoy it. Luckily many of you don't know what you're missing.

This. Astro Bot 2024 will likely be a great platformer, and that'll be it, nothing more. Rescue Mission on the other hand was THE freaking Super Mario 64 moment all over again, something unrepeatable. And it's a shame people rather miss on it entirely because they don't want to buy a VR headset even if the game looks so cool. Motion sickness? I had motion sickness playing FPS games back in the late 90's. Did that stop me from buying consoles? Hell naw, I just paced myself until I could play without getting sick.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Yo this has actually been a pretty stacked year for PS5 console exclusives no?

Helldivers 2 (Banger)
Rise of Ronin (Critcally ok but commercial banger)
FF7 Rebirth (Banger)
Stellar Blade (Banger)
Astro Bot (Assuredly banger)
Concord (Not sure about this one)
Silent Hill 2 (hopefully banger)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is it out of stock? Would love to get it someday, it's so damn cute.
kIe4CPi.jpeg

Recent SIE X Good Smile collabs have been pretty good, even the AMTT-519M Shikon from Gunparade March is getting a Moderoid this June.
NhE9d9L.jpeg
Yep. 200 is the average cost second hand.

Yo this has actually been a pretty stacked year for PS5 console exclusives no?

Helldivers 2 (Banger)
Rise of Ronin (Critcally ok but commercial banger)
FF7 Rebirth (Banger)
Stellar Blade (Banger)
Astro Bot (Assuredly banger)
Concord (Not sure about this one)
Silent Hill 2 (hopefully banger)
But I was told by GAF that PS5 has no games

But there was a pretty long interregnum between Galaxy and Odyssey/Wonder for sure. The New Super Mario games and Super Mario 3D games were very mediocre.

I disagree, though I never played wonder, I was strictly talking about 3D mario games. Odyssey was a huge disappointment to me with the bland level design and soundtrack. It has awesome mechanics but they're not used very well.

nowhat

Gold Member
I'm going to be Nostradamus here.

Come next Monday and next DF Direct, they'll first trash the SoP as a whole (which, yeah, fair), then John will gush about how fun and vibrant this looks, while Alex will moan that it would look so much better on PC with ray-tracing.

PaintTinJr

I own both, and neither are good games by Iwata/Miyamoto measures. Could both have been made by generic Ubisoft IMO, the better half and youngest played them mostly - me only helping on the hardest levels - and neither were enjoyable with awful soundtracks, Wonder being the better of the two IMO, but neither were worth returning to by anyone in the house, and Astro's playroom has been completed at least twice by each of us, and Super Mario 3D world - the last truly great 2D/3D mix gameplay Mario - has been completed twice on WiiU and twice on Switch and still occasionally gets wheeled out for multiplayer.

KaiserBecks

Astro Bot has come a long way. Created by the Tokyo-based developers at Team Asobi, the character first arrived in 2013's The Playroom, a collection of augmented-reality games that featured this adorably pint-sized bot living inside the DualShock 4 game controller. From there, Astro Bot became the star of 2020's Astro's Playroom, a free demo that came with every PS5 console to help get players acquainted with the new tech in a fun, interactive way.

hero ps vr GIF by PlayStationDE

So Astro Bot: Rescue Mission didn't happen?!

Angry Fed Up GIF

Duchess

PS5 is having an absolutely fantastic year. Not only has it got a bunch of great exclusives, but it's also getting former Xbox-only titles, too.

krumble

Now the lil' mechanical tyke is getting their first full-fledged platform game. Team Asobi announced the new title during Thursday's PlayStation "State of Play" presentation, and studio head Nicolas Doucet gives Entertainment Weekly exclusive intel on what we can expect when the game launches this Sep. 6 on the PS5.

"We wanted to make a big game," Doucet tells EW of the platformer with more than 80 different levels. "This is really about going up one notch — really several notches — and having Astro's big story. We call it Astro Bot because we treat this as a new beginning. That's a really, really big game. I think for us, that's the biggest game we've ever made."

Astro Bot

Astro Bot Kratos is just one of the many PlayStation Easter eggs in the new 'Astro Bot' game.

The premise centers around an incident that breaks apart Astro's DualSense Spaceship (in the form of PlayStation gaming equipment) and scattering its bits across the universe. The bot now has to embark on a mission to find all the pieces.

According to Doucet, there are 80 planets spread out across six galaxies. One world, he explains, features an island in the form of a giant crab. Others, as seen in the announcement trailer released on Thursday, feature other environments like jungle, volcanic, and desert. "We really wanted to make sure that the player had a renewed experience every 10 minutes or so," he says.

And similar to Astro's Playroom, there will be various bot versions of classic PlayStation characters encountered along the way, including Kratos from God of War, Nathan Drake from Uncharted, Aloy from the Horizon games, and the titular duo from Ratchet and Clank.

Behind the scenes, Doucet calls the game a "PlayStation fiesta," given that it's stacked with so many callouts to the entire history of PlayStation. There's even a bot version of PaRappa the Rapper, the hip-hop canine star first introduced back in the 1990s. It's not a coincidence, either, that Astro Bot is arriving during the yearlong 30th anniversary of PlayStation celebration.

"It's a kind of eye candy," Doucet says of all the cameos. "There's going to be more. We're going to be talking over time about what they mean to the game, but, yes, there's going to be a big reunion. There's a lot of characters from the PlayStation universe crossing over with Astro's path. It's an Astro Bot story, of course, with Astro being the main character, but there's a lot of PlayStation characters that play a part."

It's more than just characters from PlayStation's vast lexicon, though. Scenes from the trailer feature the Whispy Woods tree from the world of Kirby, as well as an Aladdin-style dark genie that serves as a boss.

Astro Bot

'Astro Bot'.

"I would say it's pop culture in general in a very broad sense," Doucet remarks of those reveals. "That's something we've always done as part of our games — look at iconic real-world inspirations, a lot of them from Hollywood movies or famous animation — and looking at themes that really cross generations."

It's surreal that Team Asobi can now count Astro Bot as a character on par with the likes of Kratos and all of PlayStation's other first-party heavy hitters that the new game features in some way. Doucet recalls how Astro's Playroom "was really about focusing on the PS5 and sharing what we could do with the controller." He notes, "The charm of Astro and how he resonated with people went beyond what we expected. At that point, we decided to make a big game."

Don't let the Easter eggs and Kratos cameo fool you. "The core effort has gone into making Astro's own game so that he can stand on his own feet as a new PlayStation character with a good reputation and confidence," Doucet adds. "But also on top of that, there is this whole coating of nostalgia."

So rescue mission no longer exists? Weird how uninformed some of these "journalists" are..

Varteras

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong. I love some of Sony's big cinematic games. But this is the kind of stuff I want to see them do more of. Games just being games.

april6e

It's beating a dead horse but I'm bummed this isn't VR. The first game was one of the best VR games I've played.

Looks good but for a $40 game. I don't think it will be $70
Same, maybe $50. I loved Astro but I'll only buy it at full price if there is enough content to justify the purchase. I did see there should be around 50 worlds, so I'm waiting for reviews in September.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Same, maybe $50. I loved Astro but I'll only buy it at full price if there is enough content to justify the purchase. I did see there should be around 50 worlds, so I'm waiting for reviews in September.
I think I read there will be ~6 worlds and ~80 levels in this one. Rescue Mission was 5 worlds and 20 levels for reference, and priced at $40.

Top Bottom