• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

I mean it could be a stylised version, or not.
But it definitely looks different, the dualsense looks like a dualsense in the beginning.

xsiAeEG.jpeg
They better be selling this as a new DualSense design.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I kind of agree that it wasn't as impressive as I would have liked plus the trailer was kind of terrible. Of course, Mario Switch 2 will look vastly superior.
I'll still play it eventually, I just expected more. Usually the mainline Mario games show 1 unique idea right up front too (or several). I didn't really see that here. Saw the boxing gloves, a sword, and flying on the controller. As I said, I don't hate this. Platformers are one of my favorite genres; just was expecting more. Not the end of the world. I'll play it eventually. Maybe previews and reviews will explain more in the coming months.

NahaNago

I'll still play it eventually, I just expected more. Usually the mainline Mario games show 1 unique idea right up front too (or several). I didn't really see that here. Saw the boxing gloves, a sword, and flying on the controller. As I said, I don't hate this. Platformers are one of my favorite genres; just was expecting more. Not the end of the world. I'll play it eventually. Maybe previews and reviews will explain more in the coming months.
I'm mostly just worried about the price. The trailer simply wasn't made that well. It felt like it showed too much and too little at the same time.

PaintTinJr

Do we think "the coming to PS5(r)" at the end of the video is an PSSR Easter egg from Sony for the PS5 Pro, meaning the Pro is launching on 6th of September?
In the video there certainly looked to be some chunky flying PS5's with integrated disc drive that could have been Pro, and there's a new shaped black PS5 in the video too if I'm not mistaken.

Video has gone down a treat with the family. A proper PS5 game and everyone looking forward to the release. hopefully the digital version is sensibly priced so I can double dip Physical and digital for convenience .

I fucking new they had shown nothing with that trailer, but holy molly 50 fucking worlds?! Certified day 1!

The time trials for this game will be crazy just like the first one.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Looks incredible.

I have no doubt this will easily be my GOTY.

In fact, Astro’s Playroom, a free ‘game’ on the PS5, might still be the best experience i’ve had on this generation of consoles thus far.

A full game of that quality is beautiful to imagine.

That game was my #1 temptation to get a PS5 until Stellar Blade came out. And still kinda is, because I know Astro's Playroom won't end up on PC. I just wish it was a full game, lol

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Why the hell would it be released on PC. It is a game that romanticizes PlayStation hardware and games. It is a love letter to everything PlayStation. Only Phil Spencer loves PlayStation more than Astro Bot. Control scheme is probably heavily designed around the DualSense controller, too.
Because money

Yoboman

Gold Member
It'll be interesting how well this game sells. Surely a couple million have played Astros Playroom that never would have touched it if it wasn't a free pack in almost like a demo

It looks literally nothing like a Mario game, or a Zelda game, or any other Nintendo game
Remember, Nintendo Invented EverythingTM
I want people to really understand something.....

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

As in....the best platformer ever made.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

You don't understand, because you just don't know.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.
Agreed. I'm still getting it, as well, because it looks like a blast. But, like you said, it's disappointing to not have PSVR2 support.

Nothing beats that initial start up of Rescue Missions and being transported into that world. Following Astrobot, looking around corners and up above to find all the lost bots and coins. Or being inside the dark cave with all of the florescent plants and beautifully rendered water. Or on the cliff edge looking down a long drop. Or the bosses literally getting in your face.

I think this may have had it beat, though, with it's even better graphics and the PSVR2's higher resolution. I just hope they come out with a VR mode after this game is a hit. Or at the very least, port Rescue Mission to PSVR2 with better graphics and added levels.

Last edited:

Švejk

C'mon bro, this game is heavily inspired by 3D Mario games, it's okay to like Sony and Nintendo at the same time. I love 3D Mario and this is the only Sony game I'm jealous over.
I would normally agree, but after playing 3D World and Odyssey, Astrobot snatched that crown with both Rescue Mission and Playroom. Odyssey was so extremely mid, it was only gushed over because of switch hype. Was never so bored playing a 3D Mario. Galaxy 2 was the last of it's greatness.

saintjules

Will be good to experience this with the Dualsense. Playroom was the only game this generation that I felt utilized the controller the most.

Shin-Ra

For comparison, Astro Bot Rescue Mission had five worlds containing five levels, plus a couple extra and the crane-game capsule toy machine. Officially 26 missions in total but each level also has a challenge mission.

I suspect the ‘over 50 planets’ is equivalent to Rescue Mission’s 26 missions.
‘Six galaxies’ is equivalent to Rescue Mission’s five themed worlds.
And the ‘die-and-retry’ levels are equivalent to Rescue Mission’s challenge levels, taking the level total to ‘over 80’.

So 50+ full size levels and 30+ short challenge levels.

Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-01-en-24may24
Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-11-en-24may24
Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-10-en-24may24
Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-14-en-24may24
Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-12-en-24may24
Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-09-en-24may24

Astro-Bot-key-features-screenshot-03-en-24may24

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
VR does add the immersion factor which is really amazing, but there's no reason this can't be equally as good (but different).

It can't, the same way a 2D game can't beat a 3D one, the technological leap is massive and it impacts gameplay and level design in ways a "flat" game cannot replicate.

The poster is spot-on. While we understand the financial/commercial reasons to make this game for everybody, a native VR version would blow it out of the water. Its going from "cute platformer that borrows from the best" (what journos will say about this one) to genre-defining, miles ahead of everybody else.

yurinka

Shutting down Japan Studio was a travesty, to me one of the worst parts of Jimbo's reign. I will support Team Asobi in every possible way. Hopefully Sony wakes up to this soon when they see people's reactions to this SoP.
Why are you acting as if this game, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Death Stranding 2 or Physint wouldon't exist?

What Hermen and Jim did was, as many years others did before in EU or USA, branched out their XDEV Japan team giving them their own office in the same building, where they are growing, and now instead of publishing/overviewing/supporting SIE's 2nd party games developed in Japan also handle games developed in the rest of Asia.

So they are now part of the global XDEV team and no longer report to the local gamedev team where they started (again, as they did before with the EU and US XDEV offices). Meaning they can focus on 2nd party games and the internal development team can focus on developing internal developed games, like this Astro.

Regarging Japan Studio internal development, Hermen and Jim cancelled the mobile games that Japan Studio was making to keep them focused on making console games, fired the management that was there during 30 years not being able to release a sales hit and instead had several money pits like TLG, merged their different internal development teams into the most popular one (Team Asobi) and gave them a new office in the same building where they have been, and will continue, growing.

Think that is just a PS5 without the plates.

SfovOsz.png

Yes, it's just a base PS5 with no plates in the side.

Remember, Nintendo Invented EverythingTM

Agreed. I'm still getting it, as well, because it looks like a blast. But, like you said, it's disappointing to not have PSVR2 support.

Nothing beats that initial start up of Rescue Missions and being transported into that world. Following Astrobot, looking around corners and up above to find all the lost bots and coins. Or being inside the dark cave with all of the florescent plants and beautifully rendered water. Or on the cliff edge looking down a long drop. Or the bosses literally getting in your face.

I think this may have had it beat, though, with it's even better graphics and the PSVR2's higher resolution. I just hope they come out with a VR mode after this game is a hit. Or at the very least, port Rescue Mission to PSVR2 with better graphics and added levels.
Maybe their idea is to release it for PS5/tv only and if it sells well enough, use its profits to fund a PSVR2 version. The visuals aren't extremely detailed, as if since they start they have been considering a PSVR2 version.

Because money
Yes, money is the reason of why Sony only puts GaaS and ports of old games on PC.

PC is only a secondary market for them to get some extra revenue and profit. Their main business by far is their PS console, so they keep there their single player, non-GaaS titles at least a few years since its original PS release.

They have many 1st and 3rd party games from multiple generations that aren't available on PC, and use them as USP to make people buy PS consoles.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

ASTRO BOT FAQs​

Is ASTRO BOT free, like Astro's Playroom?
No. Unlike ASTRO's Playroom, ASTRO BOT is a standalone, full-sized adventure that offers over four times more worlds, 300 bots to rescue and dozens of new powers and features to discover.

Is ASTRO BOT multiplayer?
ASTRO BOT is a single-player experience.

Is ASTRO BOT available for PS4 or PS VR2?
ASTRO BOT is exclusively available for PS5.

What kind of game is ASTRO BOT?
ASTRO BOT is a 3D action platformer that features over 50 planets in multiple galaxies.

Are there in-game purchases in ASTRO BOT?
No, each planet already has plenty of coins to find and spend in the Gatcha Lab!

Which studio makes ASTRO BOT?
ASTRO BOT is developed by Team ASOBI, part of PlayStation Studios. Previous games include The Playroom, ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission and ASTRO's Playroom.

Astro-Bot-key-features-image-block-03-en-17may24

Last edited:

yurinka

It's funny how a former subsidiary of Japan Studio killed most of Sony's AAA studios with just one game. I hope people actually buy this. Team Asobi needs to be protected at all costs.
Team Asobi wasn't a Japan Studio subsidiary, it was one of the Japan Studio internal development teams. They all worked in the same office and most of their members were from other Japan Studio internal development teams. Witht the restructuring all these teams were merged into Team Asobi, this is why the studio got rebranded: because now they were the only Japan Studio team.

As part of the restructuring, the Japan Studio XDEV Japan team, the one who was in charge of the 2nd party Japanese games, got branched out to get their own office in the same building, a bigger one because now they were going to handle more projects because were tasked not only to manage Japanese 2nd party games, but now were going to also manage games from the rest of Asia (like Stellar Blade, Convallaria or Lost Soul Aside).

I kind of agree that it wasn't as impressive as I would have liked plus the trailer was kind of terrible. Of course, Mario Switch 2 will look vastly superior.

Mario hasn’t been great since Galaxy. Team Asobi has been eating their lunch

Mario Switch 2 won’t look anywhere near as good as a ps5 game.

Nintendo fanboys need to settle down with their need to always be better when truth is their Mario games have been severely lacking for generations

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

Holy shit that looked SO GOOD.

It’s so rare to see a non-Nintendo 3D platformer with so much polish and creativity. I’m such a sucker for 3D platformers, and this one just looks so fun. I can’t wait!
This. Day 1. Saw some complaints about the graphics in another thread. Don’t get it. The original looked ultra crisp and polished despite being released years ago. This is more of the same and to me the graphics of the original still hold up very well today.

Can’t wait to see what kinda ideas they cooked up for the dualsense 🤤🤤🤤

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

ASTRO BOT FAQs​

Is ASTRO BOT free, like Astro's Playroom?
No. Unlike ASTRO's Playroom, ASTRO BOT is a standalone, full-sized adventure that offers over four times more worlds, 300 bots to rescue and dozens of new powers and features to discover.

Is ASTRO BOT multiplayer?
ASTRO BOT is a single-player experience.

Is ASTRO BOT available for PS4 or PS VR2?
ASTRO BOT is exclusively available for PS5.

What kind of game is ASTRO BOT?
ASTRO BOT is a 3D action platformer that features over 50 planets in multiple galaxies.

Are there in-game purchases in ASTRO BOT?
No, each planet already has plenty of coins to find and spend in the Gatcha Lab!

Which studio makes ASTRO BOT?
ASTRO BOT is developed by Team ASOBI, part of PlayStation Studios. Previous games include The Playroom, ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission and ASTRO's Playroom.

Astro-Bot-key-features-image-block-03-en-17may24

Astro Bot is such a love letter to Playstation. I LOVE IT!!!

4 months. Forgot we're basically in June now

Or 3 months. However you want to calculate it

Yep it's 3 months and one week. That's super fast!!!

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
SIE better advertise the shit out off this game. It deserves as much. Especially, after how they gave SCEJ the short end of the stick on their output during their latter years.

Last edited:
90+ metacritic if this game had a Nintendo label on the front.

In all seriousness though, I'm copping this day 1! Platinum'd Playroom asap and have been hugely anticipating a full-title from these guys.

Really does seem like Sackboy + Astro are the mascots for PlayStation now. Would love to see them both in a game at some point.

Romulus

It looks very good but the lack of VR support is a downer. If you ever played the psvr1 game you know exactly how much is missing. Ignorance is bliss though. I'll have to try and rewire my brain somehow to enjoy it. Luckily many of you don't know what you're missing.

Shin-Ra

Would be cool if they give us costumes to collect and wear like Sackboy. But doesn't seem like it.
In Sackboy ABA I’d always go back to naked or near naked, colour change costumes just to make his position easier to read.

The camera’s mostly pulled out further and Sackboy doesn’t face forwards all the time unlike LBP so the emotive/acting aspects were lost outside the final scoreboard closeup+photo.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So that black PS5 with the neon square, circle, triangle and x on the side is the Pro right?

With a design like that externally I’m thinking £549 or above, regular Slim digital maybe seeing a permanent price cut to £349 at the same time.

Shin-Ra

The wider-linear structure of Astro’s Playroom levels may make some levels of Astro Bot bigger than Rescue Mission’s forwards-only rail-linear PSVR design which still had lots of little secrets but was a bit restrictive.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My most anticipated game at the moment. I’m glad we don’t have to wait long. Even happier it’s not tied to dying VR hardware.

Top Bottom