• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus: Next Rog Ally Reveal 5/9 3PM ET

Klosshufvud

Wow, isn't it too early? I bought an Asus Rog at launch last year!
Well it's just a revision to adress some of the shortcomings. Competition is rough against Steam Deck OLED and Legion GO.

Do we really need OLED with burn in issues?
I agree. A great IPS display goes a long way and side by side, the Legion GO IPS display held up really well against the Deck OLED. And this is without the risk of burn-in which is elevated on a PC landscape due to desktop icons and the like.

I'm gonna lol so hard if it's an 8840 based SoC.
Go On Popcorn GIF
Guaranteed they're sticking with the Z1E. 8840U has no real performance gains over 7840U.

Cyberpunkd

I agree. A great IPS display goes a long way and side by side, the Legion GO IPS display held up really well against the Deck OLED. And this is without the risk of burn-in which is elevated on a PC landscape due to desktop icons and the like.
This can be easily eliminated by pixel shifting.

Sethbacca

I don't think AMD has an appreciably better chipset than the Z1E at this point so I assume this will be screen/battery/form factor upgrades with a minor spec bump (if anything).
Hoping we'll get something Strix based with that around the corner. Maybe Z2E or something stupid.

StereoVsn

If it's not OLED I don't care. Also, needs better thumbsticks. That's a non negotiable. Ally thumbsticks were WAY too loose. I loved my ally but I simply could not play shooters on it with those sticks. Ally needs to get their updates consolidated. Opening 2 programs to update every week was wild. Ally is still amazing despite the flaws. Excited for some improvements

Wish windows would get their shit together and make a proper console mode already.
For the updates, they moved pretty much everything into armoury crate or whatever it’s called.

To be fair, Windows is still kind of crap on handhelds.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Looking forward to this. The VRS on the Ally is the one feature I wish the Legion Go had. Even still, the form of the Legion Go is far more versatile and useful as a device for more than gaming. The Legion Go is actually my preferred device over my laptop for working on the road.

Draugoth

Gold Member
No leaks yet it’s weird

Leak:

The updated ROG Ally will run with the same core components and it's called ROG Ally 2024, but it is expected to change things up a bit. For starters – and perhaps most importantly – the problems with the SD card reader are fully fixed, and we’re getting some tweaks to the design of the portable too, such as bigger battery and OLED screen. You can actually glimpse the refreshed ROG Ally in the image on YouTube for the announcement event.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Leak:

The updated ROG Ally will run with the same core components and it's called ROG Ally 2024, but it is expected to change things up a bit. For starters – and perhaps most importantly – the problems with the SD card reader are fully fixed, and we’re getting some tweaks to the design of the portable too, such as bigger battery and OLED screen. You can actually glimpse the refreshed ROG Ally in the image on YouTube for the announcement event.
VjSJE4Q.png
makes sense. Official reveal video wouldn't use a concept mock up. Looks alright from the silhouette

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Reveal has been delayed for an hour, so it’s at 4 PM eastern time if you guys want to watch it live on YouTube

If all they’re doing is upgrading it to an OLED and changing the SD card reader it’s not worth it. Yes, the OLED is nice, but the price isn’t gonna be worth the upgrade. What they need is more ram a bigger screen OLED hall sticks And proper EGP solution to make it worth upgrade if it’s not a brand new generational product

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’d snatch up the old ally if GeForce now wasn’t restricted to 1080p/60 I’d like a portable that would do 4k/120 externally without going mini pc

//DEVIL//

Reveal has been delayed for an hour, so it’s at 4 PM eastern time if you guys want to watch it live on YouTube

If all they’re doing is upgrading it to an OLED and changing the SD card reader it’s not worth it. Yes, the OLED is nice, but the price isn’t gonna be worth the upgrade. What they need is more ram a bigger screen OLED hall sticks And proper EGP solution to make it worth upgrade if it’s not a brand new generational product
I don't think that site knows what are they talking about. and while this is the general predictions, they are saying you can tell the changes from the image lol.

also. adding a bigger battery for another 30 mins isn't gonna solve the battery problem. I do not have an SD card issue with my unit (R8 revision ) I do not care about OLED either.

as matter of fact, it might be even the same battery but because its OLED, the black are off pixels, it will get by default more juice out of the battery.

but getting 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins isn't worth it lol.

I’d snatch up the old ally if GeForce now wasn’t restricted to 1080p/60 I’d like a portable that would do 4k/120 externally without going mini pc

I know this sound silly, but honestly, the big games and heavy games, i stream them from steam.. perfection when it comes to input lag. I don't even feel it and I am very sensitive to these things.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Leak:

If this is true it's a bit of a joke.

If you have an original unit but want a fixed/working SD card reader then you need to upgrade? Bit of a slap in the face if you ask me.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If this is true it's a bit of a joke.

If you have an original unit but want a fixed/working SD card reader then you need to upgrade? Bit of a slap in the face if you ask me.

Gotta be more to it than that.......right?

Reactions: GHG

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Not even an OLED thrown in... I want an Ally and a Legion Go but was holding off for new models. Guess I'll wait a while longer.

BlackTron

And, while Asus still won’t admit that the Ally’s SD card reader ever had any fault, tells me it’s the same exact SD card reader it uses in its laptops, and says it doesn’t believe any issues actually had to do with overheating, the Ally X will have a rearranged motherboard layout that sounds like it’ll move it away from the system’s vents. “We don’t want people to think that’s what we had to do,” Meng says of moving the SD reader. “We had to move things around the board to make them fit.”

Bhfo29B.gif

For the updates, they moved pretty much everything into armoury crate or whatever it’s called.

To be fair, Windows is still kind of crap on handhelds.
Thank you for letting me know that's very good news about moving everything into armoury crate cuz honestly booting up into armoury crate and launching all my games from there made it feel almost Deck like

Puscifer

You should check best buy open boxes, these things get returned all the time to the point of it weren't for the deal I snagged for an OLED deck I would've gotten one of these for around the 300 mark.

Top Bottom