• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

ungalo

I need to play more but i doubt the issue is technical. If it was Wild Hearts would not have 80 metacritic because i can already tell, Wild Hearts was far worse than Atomic Hearts is in that regard.

I think they're trying to say the usual stuff like "it's too ambitious for its own good" or whatever they like to say whenever a game tries something.

Fbh

Seems cool. The reviews are mixed in an interesting way, seems like it's one of those "either you like it or you really hate it" sort of game. Because there's tons of 80's and even some 90's but then there's also a bunch of like 5/10 bringing the average down way down.

Be aware I saw one review complaining about technical issues on Ps5, supposedly the reviewer got a bunch of crashes, corrupted save files and even a "console is overheating" warning.

ManaByte

and even a "console is overheating" warning.
giphy.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't know, from what I just played it looks visually incredible so.

It's asset quality is incredible and its lighting is great. The level of detail at points is crazy, that gigantic parade section right at the start with what appears to be hundreds of machines marching etc.

But again I've played the game.

rXrCjQ8.jpg

MCtY24k.jpg

KAw5gKl.jpg

Is it live on game pass yet, or did you go to new zealand ?

Be aware I saw one review complaining about technical issues on Ps5, supposedly the reviewer got a bunch of crashes, corrupted save files and even a "console is overheating" warning.

mark-cerny-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Last edited:

Interfectum

Seems cool. The reviews are mixed in an interesting way, seems like it's one of those "either you like it or you really hate it" sort of game. Because there's tons of 80's and even some 90's but then there's also a bunch of like 5/10 bringing the average down way down.

AzPmg88.png

Ozriel

M$FT
I have a question, is there any day 1 game pass title that got a high critic scores?

Immortality, Pentiment, Hi-Fi Rush, Age of Empires IV, Halo Infinite, MS Flight SIM, Forza Horizon 4 & 5, Ori series, Cuphead, A Plagues Tale Requiem, Psychonauts 2, Tunic

The games made for GP usually flop hard

Atomic Heart was made for Gamepass?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Some are calling the game misogynistic. I guess it's getting docked for not being feminist and buggy.
Polygon was pretty positive 10 hours in.

"It can all feel a bit simple: a brutal retro shooter with inventory management and crafting and a macho lead character. Yet, here I am enjoying its old-school brand of chaos. It’s a beautiful game with clever environmental puzzles, in an enjoyable, bleak, and decaying world replete with incredible set pieces, animation, and two enjoyable leads."

https://www.polygon.com/23604720/at...fps-mundfish-ussr-xbox-game-pass-release-date

A good amount of puzzles apparently. They mentioned a few annnoying QOL things as well.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Holy shit. It is one of the best UE4 games (of which there aren't many) I ever seen with extreme atention to details, incredible world building with unique design and art I haven't seen in any game (minus sovite posters). They really made something new here from the ground up and it's so cool. It's not perfect everywhere and even though it's a dev build, SSR is terrible, RT is not working but to my surprise it's not VRAM heavy game (at least at the beginning) and 3070 runs it at locked 60 FPS in native 1440p without DLSS (there's Ultra Quality mode available, which looks great). Can't wait to play release version.

Now, this game in my country is only available via VK Play and I'm not going to buy the game and pay even 1 RUB on this fucking service (which is very closely related to fascist fucks in our government). FUCK! NO! I will buy it on Steam when the time comes.

Last edited:

adamsapple

FYI the PS5 version apparently has more bugs and issues at launch:

Goodwill for the game is further damaged by its unstable condition on PlayStation 5. I encountered several game crashes, an unexplained console overheating warning and a couple of corrupted save files during my time with the game. In speaking with other reviewers it seems the Xbox version has fewer of these issues, but the sheer amount of play time I lost to its broken state is bewildering.

Ozriel

M$FT
The question you have to ask with day one gamepass 3rd party releases is why would a developer or publisher accept a payment up front to compensate them for a reduction in release window sales on Xbox (and PC to a certain extent)? It doesn't suggest they are particularly confident in their product.
With indies I can understand it to a certain extent because of the financial situation they might be in, but for AA/AAA studios? Nah, it's a red flag.

There are always risks when it comes to a new IP. Not everything resonates with the market, despite quality.

Take Returnal. Lots of people swear it was their GOTY 2021 and reviews were very good. Yet it sold only around 500k copies on console in three months.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Oh right, Hifi Rush, thats right, thanks.
Is there more games? i would say high is anything above 85.

Here's a bunch off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them all.
Halo Infinite - 87
Fight Sim 2020 - 90
Psychonauts - 87
Age of Empires - 86
Forza Horizon -92
Pentiment - 86

Honorable Mentions:
Grounded - 82
Gears 5 Hivebusters - 82

Umbasaborne

Banned
Gaf searching for some copium to inhale when a game they were looking forward to did not review as well they wanted it to. Clearly its the people who have played the game who are wrong, not me who has only watched gameplay and trailers.

damidu

Gaf searching for some copium to inhale when a game they were looking forward to did not review as well they wanted it to. Clearly its the people who have played the game who are wrong, not me who has only watched gameplay and trailers.
shit is happening all the time with these gamepass shovelware stuff.
overhype - deflate - “fuck reviews”
rinse and repeat.

Topher

Gold Member
70-ish means ok,not great. I've played plenty of games like that and enjoyed them. Already have it preinstalled so might as well give it a shot. I'm not paying any more/less.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
High on Life scored like a 69%. I usually keep an eye on anything above a 39, personally.
Thank you for reminding me. I've been SO looking forward to this game and these scores are not at all encouraging. High on Life and the Ascent both shit scores and thanks to Game Pass I tried them anyway and absolutely loved them. I really, really hope that's the case with this game, since it looked so very good to me.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thank you for reminding me. I've been SO looking forward to this game and these scores are not at all encouraging. High on Life and the Ascent both shit scores and thanks to Game Pass I tried them anyway and absolutely loved them. I really, really hope that's the case with this game, since it looked so very good to me.
The Ascent and High on Life were literally both #2 for me in the years they came out. I'd almost be inclined to believe there's some conspiracy against third party GP day 1 games, but I'm not that far gone yet.

So yeah, people can call it copium if they want but I'm just going to use my eyeballs - and the game looks pretty good so far. I'll try it out tonight. If it sucks, I'm always honest about it, but not instantly believing reviews is something reviewers earned. No GP players have to rely on reviews. They can just try it out and see, and everyone will be trying this. If it sucks, people will say so.

Not to go off topic, but high on life only got some low reviews because reviewers were upset by its humor and were offended.

GymWolf

The Ascent and High on Life were literally both #2 for me in the years they came out. I'd almost be inclined to believe there's some conspiracy against third party GP day 1 games, but I'm not that far gone yet.

So yeah, people can call it copium if they want but I'm just going to use my eyeballs - and the game looks pretty good so far. I'll try it out tonight. If it sucks, I'm always honest about it, but not instantly believing reviews is something reviewers earned. No GP players have to rely on reviews. They can just try it out and see, and everyone will be trying this. If it sucks, people will say so.
Yeah, if you don't give a fuck about reviews you must be coping...

Warriors life must be a sad one.

adamsapple

Hmmm, metacritic scores have crept up a bit since OP posted.

Ou0jZbv.png

Nearly ten points. That a very respectable score. Like I said before, I'm going to try it anyway and decide for myself, but so far the consensus seems to be this is a good game.

That's encouraging. It's encroaching 80, which is universally regarded as a good game. 78 itself is also pretty decent.

Top Bottom