• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Erwin got an entire arm chopped off and he still ended up being the most useful of the lot in the last titan fight.

Levi also still managed to beat down Annie. It doesn't mean it wouldn't be smart to take him. They should have better demonstrated how hurt he was though, like they did with Mikasa.

On another note, in the opening we see someone turning into a titan and causing an entire village to disintegrate. Is that the colossal titan transforming? We see him destroying a huge cliff afterwards. That wasn't in the show either

It is anime show. What you see in the opening, is completely made up.

So I guess the coordinator power is how the walls were built. Still don't know who built them. Also still nothing on the basement. We'll get those season one answers eventually. :/

Can't wait until they show Reiner and bertholdt's home. Interested in seeing life in the titan village. The monkey titan is probably not eren's dad based on what others have said about him being unfamiliar with the gear. I feel like Historia is a higher up in Titan society and the blond haired guy is her dad or something. This is based on nothing else but them both being important and having blond hair.

And the way the Reiner says that it fell to Eren. It makes me wonder about how it has moved between people in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if it were by eating the last person who had it and then it kind of goes to sleep. It could kind of explain how they lost track of who had it but their hunch was on Eren.

I agree that Historia definitely has to be related to some higher ups but she is illegitimate and they didn't want her to be next in the succession. I like it more than monkey being eren's father.

Oh and it looks like it's only Eren's father's name that isn't mentioned. Eren's mother's name is Carla.

Jellie

And the way the Reiner says that it fell to Eren. It makes me wonder about how it has moved between people in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if it were by eating the last person who had it and then it kind of goes to sleep. It could kind of explain how they lost track of who had it but their hunch was on Eren.

I agree that Historia definitely has to be related to some higher ups but she is illegitimate and they didn't want her to be next in the succession. I like it more than monkey being eren's father.

Oh and it looks like it's only Eren's father's name that isn't mentioned. Eren's mother's name is Carla.
I'm pretty sure his name has been said but seeing as people here don't remember it not sure if it's not in the anime?

CrunchyB

It was a pretty good season IMO, just a little short. They really increased the mystery angle, which I love.

Some random thoughts: I'm not entirely convinced Eren ate his own dad, the guy wasn't dumb and must have known what was going to happen when he injected Eren. I also don't know when this event happened exactly, Mikasa stuck to Eren like glue for the entire time. But after that flashback he had the key, so it must have happened. His dad has been conspicuously absent ever since. As we know now, Eren acquired extremely special Navigator powers, which makes everything stranger still. So my current theory is that dad fed Eren the previous Navigator to hide this power from the bad guys (who know him, but not his son) and was captured/killed afterwards. That would also explain why he was in a mad rush yet travelling with a cart (to transport a body) in his short scene.

It was a pretty good season IMO, just a little short. They really increased the mystery angle, which I love.

Some random thoughts: I'm not entirely convinced Eren ate his own dad, the guy wasn't dumb and must have known what was going to happen when he injected Eren. I also don't know when this event happened exactly, Mikasa stuck to Eren like glue for the entire time. But after that flashback he had the key, so it must have happened. His dad has been conspicuously absent ever since. As we know now, Eren acquired extremely special Navigator powers, which makes everything stranger still. So my current theory is that dad fed Eren the previous Navigator to hide this power from the bad guys (who know him, but not his son) and was captured/killed afterwards. That would also explain why he was in a mad rush yet travelling with a cart (to transport a body) in his short scene.

The injection had to have happened very soon after the titans broke into Shinganshina. This is the only way I can see it being.

Eren leaves Shinganshina on boat after the devastation. Eren's father had left already by this time but he must have gotten word and came back to inject Eren. He maybe even came back just because the titans broke the wall. In the flashback Eren mentions that his mother was already dead. So there must be more time than we realize between when Eren leaves Shinganshina on the boat and when he wakes up from the flashback dream.

His name was mentioned as well, actually.

I'm pretty sure his name has been said but seeing as people here don't remember it not sure if it's not in the anime?

I can't find it anywhere. If you know the episode than I'd like to know but I haven't been able to find it. I prefer not to know if it isn't in the anime anywhere. I can't even think of who would possibly be calling Dr. Yeager by his first name. Maybe someone who is speaking to Eren and is like aren't you Yeager's boy? (but instead using his given name). Anyway even though I don't think that monkey titan is Eren's father I do think that if they never mention his name then it increases the chance ever so slightly that monkey titan is Erens' dad. Since you folks say that his name has been mentioned then I think that slightly decreases the chance.

Edit: I thought I'd add who even is the king? I don't think we know a single thing about him... (unless I forgot?)

Jellie

The injection had to have happened very soon after the titans broke into Shinganshina. This is the only way I can see it being.

Eren leaves Shinganshina on boat after the devastation. Eren's father had left already by this time but he must have gotten word and came back to inject Eren. He maybe even came back just because the titans broke the wall. In the flashback Eren mentions that his mother was already dead. So there must be more time than we realize between when Eren leaves Shinganshina on the boat and when he wakes up from the flashback dream.

I can't find it anywhere. If you know the episode than I'd like to know but I haven't been able to find it. I prefer not to know if it isn't in the anime anywhere. I can't even think of who would possibly be calling Dr. Yeager by his first name. Maybe someone who is speaking to Eren and is like aren't you Yeager's boy? (but instead using his given name). Anyway even though I don't think that monkey titan is Eren's father I do think that if they never mention his name then it increases the chance ever so slightly that monkey titan is Erens' dad. Since you folks say that his name has been mentioned then I think that slightly decreases the chance.

Edit: I thought I'd add who even is the king? I don't think we know a single thing about him... (unless I forgot?)

Episode 3 at the end when Eren passes the 3d maneuver gear training after they realise he had faulty gear.

watched the last episode. Lol they went full on ham in some places, when Christa did like 12 unnecessary flips i bust my shit laughing. Some of the music choices were a bit weird too.

Good season overall, i think it started stronger than it finished but it was always going to be really hard to top episode 6 imo. Nice to get the quick turnaround for next year too.

Yep, really wasn't a fan of that moment. I enjoy me some great animation like everyone else but when it feels like you're watching some unnecessarily glamourous dance performance, accompanied by pop music, then that's just tonally bad. Would've legit preferred it if she just shot her hooks and flew straight forward.

It's unfortunate that there are scenes like this every now and then that feel out of place when they really manage to deliver at other times. That Eren+Mikasa scene and his 'coordinate' moment, for instance, were insanely good. Same for the insanity laughter/wailing preceding that.

Erwin got an entire arm chopped off and he still ended up being the most useful of the lot in the last titan fight.

See, one of my pet peeves is injuries being ignored too often and healed too quickly. Considering that like only 2-3 days passed between Levis injury and the scouts riding out after Reiner and co. it's completely logical that Levi had to take a time-out from intense fighting. He can choose between being more or less fully healed in a couple weeks or so and being a less liable combatant, potentially exacerbating his injury and being out of it for even longer.

They can keep the quick regeneration to the Titan powers. Erwin was at his end, too, this episode. I could've done without him cutting free Eren, too, but yeh.

FluxWaveZ

It's not just about the visual flourish, either, but it also conveys Historia's sense of confidence and freedom in that dire moment, which we hadn't really seen from her before. A good character moment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yep, really wasn't a fan of that moment. I enjoy me some great animation like everyone else but when it feels like you're watching some unnecessarily glamourous dance performance, accompanied by pop music, then that's just tonally bad. Would've legit preferred it if she just shot her hooks and flew straight forward.
So you would've turned one of the coolest moments in this episode into something no one would remember.

Booooooo

KoopaTheCasual

no way man.

Christa's unnecessary flips was one of the highlights of the episodes for me.
I hated it. Took me right out of the drama, and I also laughed at how unnecessary it was.

Also grew reeeally sick and tired of Eren's "Kill, Slaughter, Exterminate!" bit by the end of the season. If it continues in future season without a modicum of self-awareness at how childish it is, I hope he actually dies for good (never gonna happen).

Although I was really happy Ymir called him out on it, like "wtf is wrong with this shitty kid?"

Overall, it was an 'ok' season. Lots of really cool moments (the shot of the two teams converging in the darkness, and realizing there was no hole in the wall was definitely my favorite reveal. So well done!) But there weren't nearly enough answers for my taste. I guess I chalk it up to it being a very short season. Good thing the wait for next one won't be too long.

LotusHD

Banned
Also grew reeeally sick and tired of Eren's "Kill, Slaughter, Exterminate!" bit by the end of the season. If it continues in future season without a modicum of self-awareness at how childish it is, I hope he actually dies for good (never gonna happen).

I mean, the same episode had Hannes die right in front of him, not giving a fuck that Eren was really angry and wanted to kill the titan. The show has long made it clear that overall, him having a one-track mind in regards to killing the Titans doesn't mean he's gonna get to magically save the day all the time.

FluxWaveZ

Although I was really happy Ymir called him out on it, like "wtf is wrong with this shitty kid?"

It's a huge part of what endears me to Eren. And I think his state of mind is completely valid, considering what he's been through.

KoopaTheCasual

It's a huge part of what endears me to Eren. And I think his state of mind is completely valid, considering what he's been through.
Eren's bloodlust was handled better in season 1, as it was an implied backdrop to his personality and convictions. In season 2, they shove it in your face like "did you forget that Eren is basically a humanoid terminator, guys? He really doesn't like titans." We get it. Show, don't tell.
I mean, the same episode had Hannes die right in front of him, not giving a fuck that Eren was really angry and wanted to kill the titan. The show has long made it clear that overall, him having a one-track mind in regards to killing the Titans doesn't mean he's gonna get to magically save the day all the time.
I actually think his portrayal in the final episode was pretty great. The way he kept biting at his hand with blatant disregard was a great representation of how far he would go.

Sure they had him doing his yelling thing, but that was secondary to his actual actions.

I was mainly super annoyed with Eren in the episode in the woods. He literally could have either let Ymir get more intel, or asked a whole bunch of questions about what they wanted him for instead of "I'm gonna rip you apart!!1!"

That whole episode felt like a massive waste of 20 minutes, like a DBZ episode, when it could have bread-crumbed some great exposition.

I like Eren for the most part (fuck the anime adaption for removing his character growth in the final Annie fight) and think his raging moments are mostly fairly justified.

However, to me, they could show a bit more restraint in how it's portrayed.

HOZgOkF.jpg

This one shot for instance just takes it too far. What he does is incredible savage by definition, just biting in his hands like that and even ripping off flesh. No need to make him look downright monstruous like that.

BizzyBum

The whole point of Eren's character at this point if it wasn't obvious enough is being a protagonist who is absolutely useless when it matters. Even though he can transform into a Titan his life is nothing but failure and shortcomings at every pivotal junction. Yes, he has a juvenile one track mind but he's technically still a teenager who was constantly bullied growing up, witnessed his mother and a bunch of friends get eaten by Titans by constantly trying to save him, and his comrades who he's been training with the past 5 years are the culprits. I dunno about you guys but if I were his age and this shit happened to me I'd probably be a deranged psychopath, too.

That's why that maniacal laughter / crying when Hannes was killed was really well done by Yuki Kaji. That was his breaking point.

takriel

I like Eren for the most part (fuck the anime adaption for removing his character growth in the final Annie fight) and think his raging moments are mostly fairly justified.

However, to me, they could show a bit more restraint in how it's portrayed.

This one shot for instance just takes it too far. What he does is incredible savage by definition, just biting in his hands like that and even ripping off flesh. No need to make him look downright monstruous like that.
I liked it. I think it portrays the raw anger he's experiencing very well.

Mediking

The whole point of Eren's character at this point if it wasn't obvious enough is being a protagonist who is absolutely useless when it matters. Even though he can transform into a Titan is life is nothing but failure and shortcomings at every pivotal junction. Yes, he has a juvenile one track mind but he's technically still a teenager who was constantly bullied growing up, witnessed his mother and a bunch of friends get eaten by Titans by constantly trying to save him, and his comrades who he's been training with the past 5 years are the culprits. I dunno about you guys but if I were his age and this shit happened to me I'd probably be a deranged psychopath, too.

That's why that maniacal laughter / crying when Hannes was killed was really well done by Yuki Kaji. That was his breaking point.

Yup. Eren is awesome. You can tell the animators really like animating him.

Mikasa loves him.

Annie likes him.

Armin respects him.

Jean is jealous of him.

Conny sees him as a friend.

Sasha sees him as a friend as well.

Bertholdt likes Annie.

Reiner likes.... Christie.

Ymir likes... Christie.

KoopaTheCasual

The whole point of Eren's character at this point if it wasn't obvious enough is being a protagonist who is absolutely useless when it matters. Even though he can transform into a Titan is life is nothing but failure and shortcomings at every pivotal junction. Yes, he has a juvenile one track mind but he's technically still a teenager who was constantly bullied growing up, witnessed his mother and a bunch of friends get eaten by Titans by constantly trying to save him, and his comrades who he's been training with the past 5 years are the culprits. I dunno about you guys but if I were his age and this shit happened to me I'd probably be a deranged psychopath, too.

I get what they're going for. I guess for me, is I've seen way too many anime with protagonists that are ripe for character development, and then it just never happens. They stay 1-dimensional for the duration of the show.

I just HOPE Eren's borderline psychotic behavior is fully intentionally off-putting and they're setting him up to have some major growth and calm the fuck down in the future. (I haven't read the manga, so I'm not sure about his current development)

Right now he is really unlikeable to me. I'm honestly much more interested in the Titan village, Bertholdt (since he's clearly struggling), and the mystery blonde guy at the end.

Mediking

I get what they're going for. I guess for me, is I've seen way too many anime with protagonists that are ripe for character development, and then it just never happens. They stay 1-dimensional for the duration of the show.

I just HOPE Eren's borderline psychotic behavior is fully intentionally off-putting and they're setting him up to have some major growth and calm the fuck down in the future. (I haven't read the manga, so I'm not sure about his current development)

Right now he is really unlikeable to me. I'm honestly much more interested in the Titan village, Bertholdt (since he's clearly struggling), and the mystery blonde guy at the end.

People don't give Shonen protagonists enough credit. Eren has showed growth. It's just... the studio KNOWS that Eren getting angry and looking like a demon is very hype for most people.

KoopaTheCasual

People don't give Shonen protagonists enough credit. Eren has showed growth. It's just... the studio KNOWS that Eren getting angry and looking like a demon is very hype for most people.
How? And please don't say, because he's a better fighter. We're talking about character motivations here.

Having zero growth is something shonen anime seems to revel in. They love showing flashback clips of the protagonist as a kid, responding to a situation with the same exact attitude that will get him/her through their current predicament. It's a weird trend.

And yea, those "hype" moments have long ago stopped being hype moments, and are more eye roll inducing to me. Idk, I guess I outgrew the standard shonen fanfare some time ago.

Mediking

How? And please don't say, because he's a better fighter. We're talking about character motivations here.

Having zero growth is something shonen anime seems to revel in. They love showing flashback clips of the protagonist as a kid, responding to a situation with the same exact attitude that will get him/her through their current predicament.

And yea, those "hype" moments have long ago stopped being hype moments, and are more eye roll inducing to me. Idk, I guess I outgrew the standard shonen fanfare some time ago.

AoT might not be the anime for you if you think Eren looking like a demon and getting angry is old.... that's something that's gonna be happening... ALOT.

Wait. Hold on.

Do you like Mikasa?

Brakke

Banned
So we've been kind of skimmed over that whole thing where hey by the way there's whole cities underground? The show was so casual with that.

KoopaTheCasual

AoT might not be the anime for you if you think Eren looking like a demon and getting angry is old.... that's something that's gonna be happening... ALOT.

Wait. Hold on.

Do you like Mikasa?
She's ok. She's your typical Rei "great at everything, but muted personality" archetype. But she serves as a grounding/humanizing force to Eren, and is often the voice of decisive action. That makes her a strong addition to the cast.

And haha, yea I figured people would ask "why do you even watch this show then???" I think the setting and world is one of the most fascinating I've ever watched/read about in fiction. And the mysteries of human society and titan society are really intriguing. I'm the guy who gets more hype watching the conversational exposition dumps/reveal of new titan classes than watching the titan fights themselves.

Mediking

She's ok. She's your typical Rei "great at everything, but muted personality" archetype. But she serves as a grounding/humanizing force to Eren, and is often the voice of decisive action. That makes her a strong addition to the cast.

And haha, yea I figured people would ask "why do you even watch this show then???" I think the setting and world is one of the most fascinating I've ever watched/read about in fiction. And the mysteries of human society and titan society are really intriguing. I'm the guy who gets more hype watching the conversational exposition dumps/reveal of new titan classes than watching the titan fights themselves.

I see... I guess I understand. I watch for action, fanservice, and music. Oh, wait... that's with ALL anime/manga/entertainment I enjoy. :D

Finally got to watch episode 11.
Was in LA all week for E3.

Omg that scene when Erwin gets his arm bitten and yells for everyone to charge.

Goosebumps.

About to watch the finale.
My body is ready

Brakke

Banned
Erwin is such a champ.

Also Erwin / Levi conversation was basically this forum. Levi, correctly, pissed at how slowly we're moving toward the truth; Erwin, wrong, so glad any movement at all is happening.

I was pretty embarrassed for Levi when he was shook about the Titans being humans all along. Like once there are people who can transform into Titans, and embed themselves in the nape of the Titan's neck -- where you have to strike to kill a Titan -- wtf did you think Titans were?

Just watched the Finale.
Here are my takeaways.

1) The coordinate's power is the ability to control the titans. There are many reasons as to why the Titan shifters would want this but I'm wondering what the main reason is.

2) Ymir is conflicted af. I mean, she feels an obligation to help out Bernie and Reiner because she ate their friend to become a shifter, but she also wanted to stay with Historia... well, I don't think she'll ever be happy lol

3) THAT SCARF DIALOGUE NEARLY KILLED THAT AMAZING SCENE FOR ME. I mean, wtf.. "I will wrap that scarf around you as many times as you want"?? That was awful.

4) RIP Hannes

5) Armin hella lying to Bernie in order to get him to let go of Eren was hilarious. If I'm not mistaken, Annie is still encased in that crystallic material, right?

6) Beast Titan, Ymir, Bernie, and Reiner all on the same wall.

When tf does next season drop?

Regular, mindless titans don't have a person in the nape. They would have noticed that by now.

So with regular TItans, the humans are essentially one with them and then materialise after eating a shifter?

Let's just say a smallish Titan, the one encountered by Sasha, ate a Titan shifter giving the original human Titan shifter powers. How would they possibly fit inside that Titan? I mean they could but it'd be a tight fit.

So with regular TItans, the humans are essentially one with them and then materialise after eating a shifter?

Let's just say a smallish Titan, the one encountered by Sasha, ate a Titan shifter giving the original human Titan shifter powers. How would they possibly fit inside that Titan? I mean they could but it'd be a tight fit.
I don't know. They might get bigger to allow from a person inside. Ymir's titan changed slightly after she ate a shifter. Before she had flat teeth, but then afterwards, she had pointy teeth.

This was my immediate reaction as well. Unless those glasses frames are in style in AoT's world.
They are the most popular frames in AoT's world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom