• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 2 |OT| NO MANGA TALK

Status
Not open for further replies.

88random

Regular, mindless titans don't have a person in the nape. They would have noticed that by now.

So with regular TItans, the humans are essentially one with them and then materialise after eating a shifter?

Let's just say a smallish Titan, the one encountered by Sasha, ate a Titan shifter giving the original human Titan shifter powers. How would they possibly fit inside that Titan? I mean they could but it'd be a tight fit.

I would suggest that you read chapter 51, from page 24 (DON'T go past page 37!). It is the last chapter that was animated. There are no spoilers, but they fleshed out the conversation with Hange about Connie's mother/titan a little bit more. They probably didn't put that in anime to save time since it isn't that important, but it will answer your questions.

Grudy

What really annoys me about Eren is how slow he is to take things in. It feels like he's the most childish of the bunch, which really started back in season 1 when they all figured out who Annie was and Eren was like "No I can't believe it until she kills maybe another 10 soldiers, then maybe I'll think about it" and he has that dumb look kn his face of "NO WAY!!" When everyone else had long took grasp of the situation and are showing more realistic emotions like fear, being puzzled and maybe even betreyal.

This happened this season with the R&B reveal as well. If they didn't show a lengthy scene of the survey corps preparing for the possibility that R&B are also outsiders/titans, I could have stomached the scene that followed. But even after Reiner straight up shows Eren his healing power and tells it to him straight, Eren is still having this stupid look of ":O" while Mikasa again goes straight down to business.

The more I think about the last episode too, the more I dislike it (Eren's part in particular). The whole set up of that titan that ate his mother showing up there with Hannes around felt...artificial? Is that the right word? The author needed a scenario to awaken Eren's new power in a dramatic way and just kinda lumped it all in there with everything else. It disrupted the flow of the events around them, where I was focused on the scouts vs the titans and Ymir's situation in the midst of it, suddenly we're pushed back to remembering and reliving Erens emotions from the first episode and pretty much freezing everything else while they continue what felt like a separate plot in their own bubble in that battle. The whole dialogue about the scarf thing was pretty lame too, really out of place. (Armin waving his sword in the background was pretty funny too. Anyone else would have been eaten by the titan easily).

What really gets me about Eren is the fact that he's the most shounen type character in the show, and acts like one in contrast to everybody else. I don't really mind shounen characters and shows, but putting a one dimensional character togethet with others like Erwin, Reiner and Ymir is off putting and just puts the spotlights on Eren's shortcomings as a character instead of reveling in his badassry, self-loathing and beating-the-odds character. I get what people say about him being a protagonist that is set to fail despite whatever power he obtains, but it doesn't excuse how undeveloped he, and Mikasa by extension, are. Right now it feels like Eren is just being dragged along for the ride and even if that ride is just 'kill all the titans', it wouldn't hurt if he had his own agendas for a protagonist instead of being swept up in everyone else's plans. Maybe that's why he fails so much, but i digress to that point, the author could still play it well and have a good pay-off for Eren, but I really find consider him(and Mikasa to some extent, though I find her more tolerable) a blemish on an otherwise great cast.

I would suggest that you read chapter 51, from page 24 (DON'T go past page 37!). It is the last chapter that was animated. There are no spoilers, but they fleshed out the conversation with Hange about Connie's mother/titan a little bit more. They probably didn't put that in anime to save time since it isn't that important, but it will answer your questions.

Would you mind putting it in spoiler quotes? I don't want to acidentally spoil myself anything important while looking for it.

kirblar

Eren is deliberately a black/white ideologue dropkicked into a world w/ lots of shades of grey.
Would you mind putting it in spoiler quotes? I don't want to acidentally spoil myself anything important while looking for it.
I haven't re-read the section that they're referring to, but the clear implication for me regarding smaller titans was that they were
smaller people. :(

Unless Erens dad somehow went ssj I doubt it's him. Unless Grisha is Saiyan and that's his oozaru form and he's become a ssj4. Doesn't look like Grisha either. Dude is ripped as shit and Grisha was a beanpole that looked goofy.

88random

I sent you a PM.

What I'm about to post is not a spoiler, it's just a part that anime dropped, probably to save time. In short:
Hange is guessing that people actually meld with their titan bodies and the part they are supposed to cut to kill them correlates with the size of the spinal cord.
Which makes sense.

Brakke

Banned
Nah I didn't see the OVAs. It was a weird detail in this episode either way. "We have underground bunkers but only one week of food and whoops we ate it all already". Just... why even make that detour?

Isn't it a thing with the shifters that if you stay in Titan form too long or else lose control of your human aspect, you get absorbed into the Titan body? All those flesh-wires that go into Eren's face just eventually dissolve his face? That's been my impression since the first or second time they cut him out. If you're in control, you can will the fleshwires out of your face and just "dismount" the Titan.

That would kind of explain Ymir. She ran off delirious and crying and couldn't resume human form until she ate a shifter (because...?). Something about eating a shifter lets you reclaim the ability to dismount, which is why the "feral" Titans keep trying to eat people even though they don't need the sustanence: all they have left is a desperation to return to human by eating a shifter.

Something about eating a shifter lets you reclaim the ability to dismount, which is why the "feral" Titans keep trying to eat people even though they don't need the sustanence: all they have left is a desperation to return to human by eating a shifter.

if this is in fact the case, i believe it's more of a "instinctual" hunger than a "mentally aware" hunger. i don't believe Ymir had any real knowledge of titan shifters being the key to turning back to a human, nor do i believe any other titan transformed the way she was would have any clue of this either.

BizzyBum

So what's some other anime to watch? I watched Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress because it was the same studio as AoT and it wasn't that great.

I need another anime with similar hype factor. lol

KoopaTheCasual

So what's some other anime to watch? I watched Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress because it was the same studio as AoT and it wasn't that great.

I always found full metal achemist is the strongest parallel of European-esque military anime with a supernatural swing. But that's a classic that everyone's seen.

Heard Shingeki no Bahamaut was decent. Anyone else seen it?

Guys it's only a year wait this time!

Also love that the commander is still alive. That guy is legit.

Also when do we get scenes of Eren "wrapping" with Mikasa? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Not

Banned
Guys why don't anime characters ever make out

Are they not allowed to love

No wonder the birth rate is imploding with no make out representation

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
^
my guy they just watched their father figure get eaten in half by a titan and you want them to start making out?

not just that but they are 14 years old lmao

ZdkDzk

So with regular TItans, the humans are essentially one with them and then materialise after eating a shifter?

Let's just say a smallish Titan, the one encountered by Sasha, ate a Titan shifter giving the original human Titan shifter powers. How would they possibly fit inside that Titan? I mean they could but it'd be a tight fit.

At the time I thought it was maybe a directing trick to make the titan look more dangerous, but the titan Sasha fought was growing throughout the episode.

It started at around 1.5x her height and grew every shot until it was 3/4x her height. Maybe it's different in the manga, but it would explain the woman/daughter's reaction (i.e. it's someone they know and they saw the transformation from beginning to end).

Brakke

Banned

Don't watch anime, anime is bad and only villains watch it.

Except Jojos Bizarre Adventure, which has hype showdowns and also good feelings.

^
my guy they just watched their father figure get eaten in half by a titan and you want them to start making out?

not just that but they are 14 years old lmao

Is it your position that teens don't smooch?

It is my experience that they do. And care less than grown ups about decorum.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Don't watch anime, anime is bad and only villains watch it.

Except Jojos Bizarre Adventure, which has hype showdowns and also good feelings.

Is it your position that teens don't smooch?

It is my experience that they do. And care less than grown ups about decorum.

not my position at all but the fact that they are essentially kids and watched their dude die has something to do with it

5olid_5nake

So, someone explain this to me, not that I am complaining about it or anything (just curious), but since people have said before in this thread that there was no chance of seeing AoT season 3 next year because of lack of human resources, how come we actually are getting it next year? And with 24 episodes to boot? I was so pleasantly suprised when they announced it, because I was utterly convinced that we will be watching season 3 somewhere around 2020.

jeeeeeeeeeeez I forget that the anime or whatever has been out for years but these two seasons, from them graduating to now it's been like a few months? one month? they're all 15ish?

Joni

So, someone explain this to me, not that I am complaining about it or anything (just curious), but since people have said before in this thread that there was no chance of seeing AoT season 3 next year because of lack of human resources, how come we actually are getting it next year? And with 24 episodes to boot? I was so pleasantly suprised when they announced it, because I was utterly convinced that we will be watching season 3 somewhere around 2020.

Well, it means they prioritized it over another project.

Dali

Maybe the last 4 years wasn't just spent making 12 episodes, but that's what was released as season 2. They may have already finished a number of episodes for season three during this long wait.

Galava

Isayama and WIT are working very close together on the anime, and having the S3 in 2018, this is my theory.

This 4 years have been to "wait to the manga to keep going" to:

Make anime and the manga end at almost the same time.

2018 S3 (2-cour)
2019 S4 (final season)

Manga is expected to end in 2 years, during 2019.

I can see the last chapter releasing just one week before the last anime episode.

A good way to keep the ending away from everyone until the very end.

Mendrox

Isayama and WIT are working very close together on the anime, and having the S3 in 2018, this is my theory.

2018 S3 (2-cour)
2019 S4 (final season)

I can see the last chapter releasing just one week before the last anime episode.

Yep that is also my thinking. Would keep interest and everything going without much delay. Very good for sales.

What really annoys me about Eren is how slow he is to take things in. It feels like he's the most childish of the bunch, which really started back in season 1 when they all figured out who Annie was and Eren was like "No I can't believe it until she kills maybe another 10 soldiers, then maybe I'll think about it" and he has that dumb look kn his face of "NO WAY!!" When everyone else had long took grasp of the situation and are showing more realistic emotions like fear, being puzzled and maybe even betreyal.
I don't see that as a huge negative and dude, they are children. They're 14 years old. I actually like that Eren is loyal to his squad. He lost literally everyone to titans as a 11 year old so it makes sense that he thinks enemies = titans only for a while. His reaction is also realistic. His only family is the people that he trained with after his losing family. And regardless if he's 100% on board with Annie being a villain, he still went along with the mission and tried to do what was instructed of him.

This happened this season with the R&B reveal as well. If they didn't show a lengthy scene of the survey corps preparing for the possibility that R&B are also outsiders/titans, I could have stomached the scene that followed. But even after Reiner straight up shows Eren his healing power and tells it to him straight, Eren is still having this stupid look of ":O" while Mikasa again goes straight down to business.
Mikasa could have killed Betholt but didn't because she also had difficulty considering their histories. And it's not like they said "hey Eren, we're two titan shifters." It's "Eren, I know we've been bffs for the longest time but we're the two titans that destroyed your and got your mom eaten in half. pls come home with us and we won't have to do it again. Kappa." There is nothing about his reaction that's unrealistic there. At all. Everyone would go what in the fuck in that situation. I'm not sure Mikasa actually heard who they were exactly just knew they were the shifters. And once again.. he turned and went in for the KO post transformation. This is why I find this argument kind of weak. He went along with the mission regardless of how he felt, every time. This is typical case of "why can't character be completely rational when crazy shit is happening around them critique"

The more I think about the last episode too, the more I dislike it (Eren's part in particular). The whole set up of that titan that ate his mother showing up there with Hannes around felt...artificial? Is that the right word? The author needed a scenario to awaken Eren's new power in a dramatic way and just kinda lumped it all in there with everything else. It disrupted the flow of the events around them, where I was focused on the scouts vs the titans and Ymir's situation in the midst of it, suddenly we're pushed back to remembering and reliving Erens emotions from the first episode and pretty much freezing everything else while they continue what felt like a separate plot in their own bubble in that battle. The whole dialogue about the scarf thing was pretty lame too, really out of place. (Armin waving his sword in the background was pretty funny too. Anyone else would have been eaten by the titan easily).
Dramatic things happens to awaken something = bad. Got it. I'll make a note to mention this to every single writer that's written any sort of fiction where the power levels are above basic human capacity.

What really gets me about Eren is the fact that he's the most shounen type character in the show, and acts like one in contrast to everybody else. I don't really mind shounen characters and shows, but putting a one dimensional character togethet with others like Erwin, Reiner and Ymir is off putting and just puts the spotlights on Eren's shortcomings as a character instead of reveling in his badassry, self-loathing and beating-the-odds character. I get what people say about him being a protagonist that is set to fail despite whatever power he obtains, but it doesn't excuse how undeveloped he, and Mikasa by extension, are. Right now it feels like Eren is just being dragged along for the ride and even if that ride is just 'kill all the titans', it wouldn't hurt if he had his own agendas for a protagonist instead of being swept up in everyone else's plans. Maybe that's why he fails so much, but i digress to that point, the author could still play it well and have a good pay-off for Eren, but I really find consider him(and Mikasa to some extent, though I find her more tolerable) a blemish on an otherwise great cast.
While I agree power wise, he is the most shounen of them all (because he needs the power to make the difference.. thus = main character), but the idea that his personality is also is wrong. Dude has some of the most disturbing psychotic tendencies in any main character I've read or watched in some time for manga and anime. This is the same dude that lied like a professional liar when he was like 8 years old and then stabbed an old man and killed him in cold blood with 0 emotion. Wants to kill without mercy at an obsessive level all the titans, and has stated in s1 that he wants to destroy everything and eat someone. If you have him spiky black hair, you pretty have Goku in a nutshell. :S

Eren hasn't developed as much as some of the more complex villain characters, but.. I can't really talk more about this issue since I started reading the manga. The story isn't over, and there's no guarantee Eren will stay 100% as "kill all titans" variation he's been so far. I agree that he should get more development, but I don't think he's just some one note character that you make him out to be. I've come to like him more after season 2 then season 1, when then he was clearly just "kill all titans!!!1" main character.

2018 S3 (2-cour)
2019 S4 (final season)

Nah, I doubt the manga is going to end in just 24 chapters. It's getting close to the end, yeah, but I would say it still has 35-45 chapters on it.

Galava

Nah, I doubt the manga is going to end in just 24 chapters. It's getting close to the end, yeah, but I would say it still has 35-45 chapters on it.

i don't remember when Isayama said this, but the main idea was to finish it 20 chapters from now. It can get to 30, but no more.

Mediking

Yeah.... no.

Eren didn't WANT to believe the truth about Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt because the truth would hurt him. He cares for them! He has feelings too! He was crying about Reiner and Bertholdt betraying him. Even Mikasa realized that she couldn't kill Reiner and Bertholdt because she still thought of them as friends (before they took Eren).

And how is Mikasa expressing her feelings to Eren "lame"? She thought they was gonna die! She's been holding her feelings of love for him the entire time! She didn't care about dying as long as she shared with him her true feelings! And guess what? Eren acknowledges that love! He didn't kiss her but he shows that he understands that he loves her and that he will always be for her.

And that whole showdown with Eren and the smiling titan was huge! That titan killed his mother! He was defenseless as a kid! He grows up, gains strength and power and still realizes that he doesn't have enough power to stop people from getting killed! That bothered him and gave him a mental breakdown! Mikasa's speech made him realize that he has saved people before and to look at the bright side!

Barzul

One of my coworkers reads the manga and basically spoiled some plot points for me....it did make me hyped for the next season. Glad we're getting it next year.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to read manga digitally from left to right? I want to start reading the manga, especially because I really like the artwork that I've seen so far, but having to retrain my brain to go right to left is more trouble than its worth to me.

Oh, also, loved this season but it did feel too short. I'm glad next season will be a full 24 episode slate.

While I'm not sure how they'd arrange the next series to be just one cours (nor if that'd be wise at all to try and do so), I don't believe it's been confirmed to be two cours either.
Kinda was. They showed images of s3 and there is a picture of SPOILER
Levi vs Beast TItan
. No way in hell that encompasses 12 episodes if they include that part, it's gotta 25 eps.

bigedole

Yeah.... no.

Eren didn't WANT to believe the truth about Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt because the truth would hurt him. He cares for them! He has feelings too! He was crying about Reiner and Bertholdt betraying him. Even Mikasa realized that she couldn't kill Reiner and Bertholdt because she still thought of them as friends (before they took Eren).

And how is Mikasa expressing her feelings to Eren "lame"? She thought they was gonna die! She's been holding her feelings of love for him the entire time! She didn't care about dying as long as she shared with him her true feelings! And guess what? Eren acknowledges that love! He didn't kiss her but he shows that he understands that he loves her and that he will always be for her.

And that whole showdown with Eren and the smiling titan was huge! That titan killed his mother! He was defenseless as a kid! He grows up, gains strength and power and still realizes that he doesn't have enough power to stop people from getting killed! That bothered him and gave him a mental breakdown! Mikasa's speech made him realize that he has saved people before and to look at the bright side!

Great post. All the Eren hate is ridiculous. He's not the deepest character but I'm certainly glad his flaws are there, they're about the only thing giving him depth. Seems seriously odd to complain in the same breath that Eren is so stereotypically shounen and then turn around and say look how badly he handled this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom