• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention to Detail in Video Games.

scalman

Division 1,2 streets still blows my mind , no matter how good rdr2 looked or horizon or days gone , division still does it for me. Did you saw museums in d2? Its like walking real things, so much real history.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
MGS games are extremely western.
I'm not sure I agree, MGS might have western setting but they are still very much Japanese games, both from character designs and its entire aesthetics, Same with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and original Dead Rising. For example Ghost Tsushima might have Japanese setting but its very clear is a western game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I agree, MGS might have western setting but they are still very much Japanese games, both from character designs and its entire aesthetics, Same with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and original Dead Rising. For example Ghost Tsushima might have Japanese setting but its very clear is a western game.
MGS mostly follows hollywood movies with some craziness added to them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
MGS mostly follows hollywood movies with some craziness added to them.
Sure it has lots of inspiration from hollywood since Kojima is big fan of western movies but its very clear its a Japanese game. You can easily tell when a western developers works on Japanese IP, I mean just look at the difference between original Dead Rising and Dead Rising 4 or look at Silent Hill Home Coming compare to Silent Hill 1 -3.

Terenty

Agree, when i first played MGS1 i was very surprised to find out it was made by a Japanese company. I though it was from the usa or smth. Then i watched a ton of anime and realized that MGS is totally anime just in a western setting.

TUROK

I love all that incidental shit they throw in there.

The Division was pretty amazing in this regard. The destruction system in the game is so granular, you can shoot literal holes into some traffic cones, chip away little chunks of concrete off a wall or roadblock, and shooting couch cushions had a neat decal that made it look like the couch was rippling.

Decent game, great engine.

Agree, when i first played MGS1 i was very surprised to find out it was made by a Japanese company. I though it was from the usa or smth. Then i watched a ton of anime and realized that MGS is totally anime just in a western setting.
Kojima is the biggest reverse-weeb.

Last edited:

Moriah20

RDR 2 is just really the king of this, I am absolutely amazed at the amount of care and detail rockstar placed into everything. There's the obvious stuff like newspaper articles, store catalogues, horse behaviour, Arthur's appearance changing. But they really are just scratching the surface. The amount of unique animations for things that you would really not expect a game to animate, landscape slowly changing over the course of the game as stuff gets built, all the crazy animal behaviours -- I mean jesus, I saw a cat randomly scratch a wooden post to sharpen their claws or saw a dog try and play with my horse as I was buying something in the store. But visual attention to detail isn't really something that truly makes the game better IMO. It's all about the small interactive moments that occur outside of the usual gameplay circles. Like, RDR 2 is a shooting game, but there is more to it than just that.

For example there's the camp which probably has more unique, non cutscene interaction in them than most games do throughout their entire lenght. Sitting down to play cards with your gang members feels so good in RDR 2 - because it's actually fully animated, with hundreds of banter lines and the life doesn't stop just because you sat down to play, stuff still happens in the background, you can hear and see it all. I loved how you had an interact button for every npc, how your actions were constantly judged by people around, how you could perform completely pointless chores just for the hell of it. All of this just made the world feel much more genuine and lived in. I wished so many times playing The Witcher 3 that I could just sit down at an inn to have a drink instead of my inventory menu popping up whenever I bought something. Or that there were more minigames besides gwent - that one quest in Kaer Morhen where you get drunk was amazing, and I really wanted just to have more interactions with my fellow witchers or all the people that I met during my travels, but... there is nothing. There aren't really random npc events or unique npc interactions outside of quests.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Almost all the AAA games of this gen have a lot of microdetails in their worlds, from rockstar titles to ubisoft titles to sony games etc.
You can find details video in yt for everyone of these games, rockstar is not the only one anymore.
Of course a game like rdr2 has more stuff than days gone or watch dogs but that games was in development for 8-9 years with infinite money and manpower behind, it's only natural.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Ocarina of Time impressed me with this back in the day. Not with visual details but other stuff like how you could magically fix destroyed sign posts with Zelda's lullaby. Or how butterflies would turn into fairies if they would land on the tip of a deku stick you are holding. Or how Link's idle animations would change depending on some environments (like scary, cold, hot, etc). I have no idea how many little touches like this i missed in this game.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In the Darkness 2007, the gun trigger moves together with 360 analog 1:1. You push a bit, the finger on the gun moves just a bit.

I always found this incredibly cool

Darkness is something else, such a good game, sadly those people now works on "gems" like Wolfenstein II: New Cucks. Nazi badz doe, if we did not get the memo for 1000 TRILLION time already. And that's especially ironic due to Sweden should shut the fuck up about WWII...

Old Retro

The new Spider-Man game is one of the most detailed games I've every played. I'm swingin around and seeing what NPCs are wearing, furniture in buildings, and the tops of the buildings are hyper detailed. Like every pipe, bolt, AC unit detailed.

Fuz

Banned
More than anything else, every single Nintendo game I played surprised me for how perfect and refined it was, and for their attention to every single detail.

THEAP99

Banned
i love the way
abby
throws her ax up in the air after killing an infected to regrip it. i often do this IRL with a baseball bat or other tools. it's the little details man.

Top Bottom