• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Glix

OldJadedGamer said:
But as GAF has told me millions of times, the PS3 isn't just selling as a games machine. Don't forget it's the best Blu-ray player on the market and the follow up machine to best selling video game system of all time. The "value" of the PS3 should have it skyrocketing ahead of the 360 according to GAF of course.

Does this mean that consumers aren't seeing the value of Blu-ray?

The bolded part would matter a whole lot more if they still cared about BC. :(

WrikaWrek

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Holy shit, where are the mods when you need them?

If you want the thread locked, how about not posting in it?

Regulus Tera said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh man, the implications of this are hilarious.

I bow towards you, my friend.

Of course, casual implies that is a game that is made to appeal to anybody, whether you have previous knowledge of games or not. Did you have another idea? :lol

Eteric Rice

WrikaWrek said:
If you want the thread locked, how about not posting in it?

Of course, casual implies that is a game that is made to appeal to anybody, whether you have previous knowledge of games or not. Did you have another idea? :lol

Who said anything about locking the thread?

Cult Hero

IIRC, games like GTA were the "Casuals" last gen, they were called "casual" 'cause they were played even for people who only casually played video games.

Back then "casual" was cool, now is some unforgivable sin.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WrikaWrek said:

You heard it here, people! Hannah Montana, a game that appeals to preteen girls only, is hardcore. :lol

It has a specific target group. Barbie games are hardcore too.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
You heard it here, people! Hannah Montana, a game that appeals to preteen girls only, is hardcore. :lol

It has a specific target group. Barbie games are hardcore too.

Right but i don't need to have previous knowledge of games to play it, and the fact that i'm older or a guy doesn't mean i won't be able to enjoy the game.

I'm pretty sure someone with no previous knowledge of games, and someone who is younger won't be able to properly enjoy Resident Evil.

But you are right, i stand corrected, i tried to encompass a number of factors, and choosing "gender and age" was wrong.

I should've sticked to the "requires no previous knowledge of games", like i said after, in a post in this page.

But i guess that definition doesn't interest you, it's harder to make fun of.

Eteric Rice said:
Apparently not so clever on Sundays either.

Yet, you avoid answering, may it be that you want people banned because they don't share of your opinion and that pisses you off, but you avoiding saying the words in fear of being accused of back seat modding and thereby fall on your own shitty attempt at getting others banned?

Is that it? Oh...you are mean

yurinka

Cult Hero said:
IIRC, games like GTA were the "Casuals" last gen, they were called "casual" 'cause they were played even for people who only casually played video games.

Well they were called casual mainly by Nintendo hardcore gamers who didn't know what "casual game" and "casual gamer" means. I was specially upset because I work developing casual games. Read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual_game

By expample, these "casual" industry unknown by the harcore gamers released games Nintendogs-like and Brain Training-like before these Nintendo games.

Even it was released certain console in 1999 with a motion sensitive controller, and has some baseball/bowling/tennis game that reminds me something... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSxiz4Bzinw

Eteric Rice

WrikaWrek said:
Right but i don't need to have previous knowledge of games to play it, and the fact that i'm older or a guy doesn't mean i won't be able to enjoy the game.

I'm pretty sure someone with no previous knowledge of games, and someone who is younger won't be able to properly enjoy Resident Evil.

But you are right, i stand corrected, i tried to encompass a number of factors, and choosing "gender and age" was wrong.

I should've sticked to the "requires no previous knowledge of games", like i said after, in a post in this page.

Yet, you avoid answering, may it be that you want people banned because they don't share of your opinion and that pisses you off, but you avoiding saying the words in fear of being accused of back seat modding and thereby fall on your own shitty attempt at getting others banned?

Is that it? Oh...you are mean

I just wanted to see if you could figure it out yourself. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cult Hero said:

I'm not sure I would agree with either statement. Those terms are just another way for people to label themselves and others based on their degree of involvement in some activity. It's pure elitism, and it can have both positive effects (stronger sense of community and identity) and negative ones (hostility towards new comers or fringe groups).

Your perception of cool is going to be dependent on your perception of gaming. It's all subjective and at times really petty.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WrikaWrek said:

It's a lot more respectable than the previous one. However...

WrikaWrek said:

I can play Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels without ever having played the original or other games in my life. The controls are simple, easy to learn, and addictive. Yet, I doubt anyone will contradict me, that game is probably more hardcore than any Halo, Call of Duty or Gears of War.

Contra is also a hardcore game with easy to learn controls. All it has is a shoot button, a jump button and directional buttons. Mega Man, while not as difficult, still has very easy controls with hardcore gameplay.

I rest my case.

yurinka

SapientWolf said:
I'm not sure I would agree with either statement. Those terms are just another way for people to label themselves and others based on their degree of involvement in some activity. It's pure elitism, and it can have both positive effects (stronger sense of community and identity) and negative ones (hostility towards new comers or fringe groups).

Your perception of cool is going to be dependent on your perception of gaming. It's all subjective and at times really petty.
As I said, the terms "casual game" and "casual gamer" were created by a real industry that exist under these name (see the wikipedia entry I posted in a previous post) and generates some billions. But some hardcore gamers used these terms wrongly giving them the mean you said.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

I can play Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels without ever having played the original or other games in my life. The controls are simple, easy to learn, and addictive. Yet, I doubt anyone will contradict me, that game is probably more hardcore than any Halo, Call of Duty or Gears of War.

Contra is also a hardcore game with easy to learn controls. All it has is a shoot button, a jump button and directional buttons. Mega Man, while not as difficult, still has very easy controls with hardcore gameplay.

I rest my case.

Right but you would need to be a hardcore gamer to actually appreciate the challenge. I fail to see how that defies my notion.

Regulus Tera said:
I can play Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels without ever having played the original or other games in my life. The controls are simple, easy to learn, and addictive.
Hell yeah, that's me. First Mario game I played was Lost Levels.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WrikaWrek said:
Right but you would need to be a hardcore gamer to actually appreciate the challenge. I fail to see how that defies my notion.

You actually don't. I know plenty of people who remember those games from their childhood yet do not play video games these days. One can appreciate fun activities without having to triumph over them. The reason the video game market kept shrinking up until the 32/64-bit era was that "casual" people who enjoyed difficult and meaty games did not become "hardcore" gamers, therefore abandoning the ship until new people jumped into it thanks to the PSX and the new experiences it brought to the table.

Brak

WrikaWrek said:
This is some elitist bullshit. You're just making up arbitrary distinctions now.

legend166

WrikaWrek said:
A game that doesn't present itself in way that is supposed to appeal to any gender and any age.

You realise what a ridiculous definition this is? This makes every single Imagine game, hardcore.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
You actually don't. I know plenty of people who remember those games from their childhood yet do not play video games these days. One can appreciate fun experiences without having to triumph over them. The reason the video game market kept shrinking up until the 32/64-bit era was that "casual" people who enjoyed difficult and meaty games did not became "hardcore" gamers, therefore abandoning the ship until new people jumped into it thanks to the PSX and the new experiences it brought to the table.

They do not play games these days but they did back then.

legend166 said:
You realise what a ridiculous definition this is? This makes every single Imagine game, hardcore.

Yeah it's pretty stupid. I regret that one.

Brak said:
This is some elitist bullshit. You're just making up arbitrary distinctions now.

Ok you know what, fuck it. I'll just leave it to developers, publishers, analysts, and the market to tell you the stuff.

Then it's not just a poster in a gaming message board, and you can deny it, and you can resent it, but things are as things are.

Wii fans that are gaming enthusiasts apparently don't share the notion of a "casual gamer", and apparently refuse to acknowledge it.4

And that's their prerogative

jibblypop

Banned
I cant believe this argument. Resident Evil 5 WILL sell on the 360 and ps3. Of course it will! If they made it for wii then it would definitely sell on there too. I cant believe there is even a discussion about this. It would sell on any system they put it on. LOTS.

yurinka

Regulus Tera said:

I rest my case.
The casual games usually use a easy to use controls and mechanics, a low difficulty when it starts, and its difficulty curve is very long. Don't use to punish the user when he/she plays badly. Also uses stories and visuals focused to anyone, doesn't matter gender or age. Are thinked to be played in shortly, time wise.

This is why any of the games you named are casual. Of your list, Mario is who fits better, but as you said The Lost Levels, like Mega Man, was hard as hell and punishes the user a lot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WrikaWrek said:
They do not play games these days but they did back then.

Never mind that we are talking about the "hardcore" quality of the games, not of their players.

Another thing to take into account: you say a hardcore gamer appreciates the challenge in the product he's enjoying. How many hardcore gamers do really play in the highest difficulties? What about all those hardcore gamers who are more interested into seeing how the story of their game unfolds than in the actual gameplay? The last criteria counts for a lot of people who play Final Fantasy, by the way.

yurinka said:
The casual games usually use a easy to use controls and mechanics, a low difficulty when it starts, and its difficulty curve is very long. Don't use to punish the user when he/she plays badly. Also uses stories and visuals focused to anyone, doesn't matter gender or age. Are thinked to be played in shortly, time wise.

This is why any of the games you named are casual. Of your list, Mario is who fits better, but as you said The Lost Levels, like Mega Man, was hard as hell and punishes the user a lot.

Contra is casual now?

jibblypop said:
I cant believe this argument. Resident Evil 5 WILL sell on the 360 and ps3. Of course it will! If they made it for wii then it would definitely sell on there too. I cant believe there is even a discussion about this. It would sell on any system they put it on. LOTS.
This is the most rational post in this entire thread

WrikaWrek

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Never mind that we are talking about the "hardcore" quality of the games, not of their players.

Another thing to take into account: you say a hardcore gamer appreciates the challenge in the product he's enjoying. How many hardcore gamers do really play in the highest difficulties? What about all those hardcore gamers who are more interested into seeing how the story of their game unfolds than in the actual gameplay? The last criteria counts for a lot of people who play Final Fantasy, by the way.

It's like you are trowing tomatoes at the wall. I think the more you are into games and the challenge they provide, the more you will want to play in high difficulty settings sure.

The fact that Final Fantasy sells itself as an experience 1st and foremost doesn't change the fact that you have you go through what is a pretty complex set of gameplay rules, and i'm pretty sure that someone who isn't into games, would probably not bother going through FF challenging gameplay just in order to see the story.

Because FF actually does demand a lot from the player, not only skill but time and patience too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
WrikaWrek said:
So casual has now become some sort of slur, and expanded audience is what we call to the people that Iwata described when he was talking about how games have become "complex".

Iwata described what it seemed like a restart of gaming, basically in philosophy going back in time and pick up all the people that hadn't hopped on the gaming train that was started all those years ago and was then revolutionized by Sony with the next step in gaming, and take them to a point where we were when the gamers today were introduced to gaming.

It was that sort of philosophy. Which means that this expanded audience, should they become gamers, they will just, like us, lead to the kind of games that we are now already playing, these more complex games.

Which is funny, although it's clearly true that Nintendo had a great point, and it shows.

Your depiction of the situation, despite some points I don't agree with, is surprisingly accurate. Indeed, I too think that Nintendo's intent is, in a way, to start from scratch. After all, the Wii's codename was "Revolution" (in retrospect, I'm so glad it remained a codename, as it sounds so pretentious and aggressive :p).

For me, their most difficult challenge for now is to design games that can appeal to traditional gamers and new gamers (ah, forgot about that. Nintendo also talks about "new gamers", and I think this expression goes well with what you say), and while there are not that many examples of games that achieve that, either at Nintendo or third parties, we do have games like Mario Kart Wii that, while keeping the core gameplay intact, manages to draw in more new customers than any installment before. For me, this game is one of Nintendo's most impressive achievements this generation. Mario Kart has always been big, but man, are they on fire with MKWii! Lucky me, it's also my favourite installment :p.

Anyway, that brings me to my few gripes with your message. First, I wouldn't say Sony revolutionized gaming with the PS1. Not for the sake of being anti-Sony (the PS1 is one of my favourite systems, after all), but because it all came down, once again, to enhancements in graphics and sound technology, with a clearer emphasis on cinematic experiences. The lowering of royalties did the rest for developers. But from a technological standpoint, it never felt like a revolution, as the controllers gained more buttons, the systems were still better at processing 2D than their predecessors... You could call 3D a "radical sustaining technology" or something like that (does it show I read Christensen far too much? Yeah, probably :p), and, because it's readical, it brought enough novelty and felt refreshing enough to grow into the success we all know, despite being in line with previous conceptions of progress. But that first point is irrelevant to the discussion at hand, I just wanted to voice my opinion on that, don't bother answering to that, that would derail the actual argument at hand ^^'.

Second, and that is my main gripe, is the end of your post. While the new gamers are indeed supposed to continue gaming and have more and more refined tastes and demands as you suggest, I don't think you should assume that they'll eventually come to like what most of us like right now. They don't play games for the graphics, nor for button-based controls, scenarios or long, drawn-out experiences. They also don't care much about online (I'll add a "yet", as I'm not sure), and when they do, I'd wager they don't necessarily need an incredibly feature-rich online service. Since Iwata applies the strategy of disruption, what he does with the Wii and the DS is supposed to be value-changing, or game-changing. What that means is that the common criteria on which most games and sequels tend to be judged today (graphics, length, more controls/moves for your character, scenario, etc.) are not the criteria of the new gamers, and that, should Nintendo apply the strategy with complete success (and so far, they've been quite successful, can't be denied), they won't be decisive criteria ever again. Some of them might still have some sort of relevance, but that's it. Of course, this is assuming Nintendo is able to keep the momentum going.

To give you a simple example of how Nintendo wants progress in terms of games to be based on other criteria, take a look at Wii Sports Resort. You would assume that a better Wii Sports, according to traditional standards (as in, what the industry and gamers have come to accept), would be a fully online-enabled, prettier Wii Sports, with far more sports, and more complex controls (like, say, being able to freely move around in Tennis, as it wasn't possible in WS, much to a lot of gamers' dismay :p). While we do know that the game will have 9, maybe 10 games, and we don't know if it'll be online in some capacity, we do know that the emphasis is put on motion controls once again. You still don't have more options of control over your character (you still can't move it), it's still pick-up-and-play (not to mention that it's not dramatically prettier), but the motion controls, one of the key values brought forth by the Wii, are improved with the new accessory.

Does that mean that things like graphics won't evolve anymore? No. Well, at least that's not what I think. But if you put it in simple business terms, it's just that the pace at which graphics have been evolving is beginning to severely overshoot the market, and so Nintendo says "wow, maybe we should brake a little, nobody cares about that any more, save for a few". Graphics will evolve, but at a much more reasonable pace, because 1) most consumers think they've become good enough, 2) the industry is going into a wall with that line of thinking. Meanwhile, interface, among other things, will become king, if it isn't already. For now, it takes the form of motion controls that are an extension of the body.

I've overdone it again. I should punch myself in the face for being unable to make things shorter :/.

Brak

WrikaWrek said:
Ok you know what, fuck it. I'll just leave it to developers, publishers, analysts, and the market to tell you the stuff.

Then it's not just a poster in a gaming message board, and you can deny it, and you can resent it, but things are as things are.

Wii fans that are gaming enthusiasts apparently don't share the notion of a "casual gamer", and apparently refuse to acknowledge it.4

And that's their prerogative
The problem is that you're trying to make some ghetto for games that don't fit your conception of what a game should be.

There are absolutely hardcore gamers, but the only thing that makes them such is their enormous interest in videogames and the amount of time they spend playing videogames.

If someone plays The Sims, Rock Band, Wii Sports, and World of Warcraft for 50 hours every week, then they are a hardcore gamer. Despite the fact that people will come up with excuses that any of those games are casual games.

This is the problem, there are no casual or hardcore games. Only casual and hardcore gamers. You could play Nintendogs in a very hardcore way, and you could play Resident Evil 4 in a very casual way. It's all about the gamer.

IceIpor

Too bad jvm's post was on the cusp of a new page, otherwise you would have known that some new figures were released.

From Edge-Online's article, Vesperia's numbers were released: http://www.edge-online.com/features/august-sales-in-depth

Some hardcore RPG fans are no doubt interested in Namco-Bandai's Tales of Vesperia, the Xbox 360 exclusive entry in the long-running Tales series. According to data from the NPD Group, Tales of Vesperia ranked #58 for the month with 33,000 units sold during the 4 days after its 26 August launch.

Eteric Rice

Brak said:
The problem is that you're trying to make some ghetto for games that don't fit your conception of what a game should be.

There are absolutely hardcore gamers, but the only thign that makes them such is their enormous interest in videogames and the amount of time they spend playing videogames.

If someone plays The Sims, Rock Band, Wii Sports, and World of Warcraft for 50 hours every week, then they are a hardcore gamer. Despite the fact that people will come up with excuses that any of those games are casual games.

This is the problem, there are no casual or hardcore games. Only casual and hardcore gamers. You could play Nintendogs in a very hardcore way, and you could play Resident Evil 4 in a very casual way. It's all about the gamer.

Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo

gtj1092

Doesn't the term casual describe more the user than the actual game itself. Personally I play the same games most hardcore gamers play but in a casual way(on easy, once a week, for spurts of entertainment) that doesn't make the game itself casual. I think complexity of the controls of game are less of a deterrent than the quality and intuitiveness of the controls. For example I bought a spongebob game for my daughter it has a simple control layout but even for someone like me it was unplayable due to the unresponsiveness of the controls. Also just because a game gains popularity doesn't transform it into a casual game it just means its a popular game.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
gtj1092 said:
Doesn't the term casual describe more the user than the actual game itself. Personally I play the same games most hardcore gamers play but in a casual way(on easy, once a week, for spurts of entertainment) that doesn't make the game itself casual. I think complexity of the controls of game are less of a deterrent than the quality and intuitiveness of the controls. For example I bought a spongebob game for my daughter it has a simple control layout but even for someone like me it was unplayable due to the unresponsiveness of the controls. Also just because a game gains popularity doesn't transform it into a casual game it just means its a popular game.

You're almost right. In my opinion, the term casual doesn't qualify either the game or the user, but the actual use of a game. Depending on the time of the year and other factors, you can ideally play a game in a casual or dedicated way.

Which is why "casual games" and "casual gamers" are fundamentally flawed expressions. One day, you play casually, a few minutes, but the other day you might put more time and attention into it, but you don't play a game that is, in essence, casual, or a game that is, in essence, hardcore. However, you can design a game in such a way that you can play it for a few minutes (by not cramming unskippable cutscenes in the game, for instance), but that's not being casual, that's being pick-up-and-play. Besides, designing a game so that it lends itself well to casual use doesn't make it deeper. It just makes it more accessible. Some might say that's nitpicking, but I believe that careful thinking and careful wording go hand-in-hand. You don't have a clear mind if you can't articulate your thoughts precisely, do you?

[EDIT] @Threi: nice one :lol.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Your depiction of the situation, despite some points I don't agree with, is surprisingly accurate. Indeed, I too think that Nintendo's intent is, in a way, to start from scratch. After all, the Wii's codename was "Revolution" (in retrospect, I'm so glad it remained a codename, as it sounds so pretentious and aggressive :p).

I've overdone it again. I should punch myself in the face for being unable to make things shorter :/.

I think you bring good points, but i disagree that PS1 didn't revolutionize gaming, as it brought a new dawn of games to us, it was the sort of games possible on it, that clearly brought gaming into a whole different plate, games like MGS, Gran Turismo, etc, that completely changed what kind of gamers the market restricted itself to.

And while i certainly agree that the Wii is a great method of control that allows anyone to have an easier time with games, as the fun starts at the moment you are point the controller to the screen, i call shenanigans on the whole visuals thing.

Fact is gaming isn't just about hitting a ball with a remote, that is just one part of gaming, that's one style of gaming, and then there's the other style of gaming where visuals suddenly matter a whole lot.

Sure people didn't have a problem with RES graphics last gen, nobody is saying that, but as developers strive to be able to deliver these experiences, these feelings that transcend the mere act of puzzle solving or the instant gratification of a bat hitting a ball, we are talking about experiences that involve immersing the player in a world for example.

And that kind of experience can't be sold just because you have motion controls. And if these new gamers start getting into gaming and suddenly start seeing how games can be more than that, then they will appreciate the vistas created by more powerful hardware.

A system like the wii plays a major role in this though, and hopefully the market will expand enough where the rise in development cost is sustainable. And it's not like there's not a big demand for these "bigger" experiences, clearly, by looking at sales numbers.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fady K said:
Can I have the source to the TotA and ToL numbers? Im curious as to how low they sold.
They were on GAF before the leaked numbers were deleted, I don't think there are any public sources that still has that data. October 06 was the last month we got leaked data on GAF.

Brak said:
I was like :eek: ... then it got to 3:00 and I actually said out loud "Holy shit!"
:lol Holy shit indeed! I only watched the vid for 2 minutes or so, but because of your comment I went back to look some more. Holy shit indeed.

OMG at 5m10s!!

IceIpor

909er said:
Is it that the 360 is an inhospitable platform for that genre or rather the genre itself is stagnant in the US?

We'll probably figure that question out after TOS spin-off releases on the Wii.

goldenpp72

it could also be a total lack of advertising and a terrible shipment, best buy near me removed it from their shelves altogether because they barely got any copies.

Fady K

jj984jj said:
They were on GAF before the leaked numbers were deleted, I don't think there are any public sources that still has that data. October 06 was the last month we got leaked data on GAF.

If they performed below Vesperia, then there is hope for this gem.

But honestly thats not saying much. I hope by next month it adds another 60-70 for a total of 100k+ at least.

Eteric Rice

IceIpor said:
We'll probably figure that question out after TOS spin-off releases on the Wii.

I dunno, it didn't get very good reviews. A lot of people that would have bought it will probably ignore it now.

I'd wait for the Wii main tales game.

Redd

I agree with WrikaWrek and others that if you want to play Resident Evil 5 get a console it's going to be released on. Don't whine because you want a port like the 360 fans for MGS4. Don't bitch like the PS3 fans who want Dead Rising or one of those 360 rpg exclusives. Don't be those Dragon Quest fans that cry because it's on the DS. Just don't become one of those people that won't play a game or quit a series just because it's not on the platform you prefer. You don't have the money? Wait it out until you do. If you love the series or if there's a game that really want to play you should follow it where ever it goes and whatever platform it's on.

I'd also prefer a Resident Evil spinoff on the Wii myself then a downgraded port of Resident Evil 5. Why settle when there's a chance a Resident Evil spin off like Code Veronica could eventually show up on the Wii. RESWi>>>>>>>>>>>>RE5Wii imo.

Hmmm I'm kind of sad about the Tales numbers. Did they ship enough games? Maybe it'll have long legs. Tales is the main reason besides XBLA that I'm getting a 360 sometime this year.

Top Bottom