• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
4ZLar.gif

I am right here. Just barely missed major flooding.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Floods the size of France and Germany combined in Australia
was it intentional that the first letter of each location in the thread's title spells out GAF?

if so, kudos to the OP :)

Dead Man

Been watching the ABC coverage, they just had an SES bloke get a bit teary eyed, so the jammed the camera in his face. Nice.

BowieZ

Banned
Some popular Facebook pages that are popping up:

OMG floods in Brisbane...everyone get out your Shamwow's..we got a city to save

Queensland: The Sunshine State. LOLJK, APOCALYPTIC DEATH STORM

Don't donate money to the Queensland floods, donate a Shamwow

Queensland: Beautiful one day, perfect storm the next

BowieZ

Banned
163420_486011135778_584730778_6461245_7351028_n.jpg

Yup, the river has its own lane in the middle of the motorway.

EDIT: had. I believe it's occupying all three lanes now.

trinest

BowieZ said:
163420_486011135778_584730778_6461245_7351028_n.jpg

Yup, the river has its own lane in the middle of the motorway.

EDIT: had. I believe it's occupying all three lanes now.

Thats kind of ingenious- we should build river troths in the highways to spread the water during floods.

Bernbaum

Here's some snaps from a major shopping centre, five minutes walk from my place. The mall is on a fairly major busy road:

2wf7bc7.jpg

2hrivz5.jpg

It's on a road near a creek that overflows regularly, but this is the worst I've ever seen it.

o93e5t.jpg

There is a major construction underway to the south of the mall - an underground tunnel that goes through a large section of the Northside and will be a years-long project.

2lnflaq.jpg

I don't think anyone will be doing any Maccas runs for a while:

acd0md.jpg

The shopping centre is one of the larger one on the north side. The entrance from this side was shut off, but the other entrances were open. Most of the water covered area is an arterial road next to a car park, but I didn't see any vehicles get stuck.

148ow3r.jpg

Intersection and pedestrian crossing completely submerged:

27yq05f.jpg

108h72s.jpg

And here's a sight I'm sure many others in Brisbane have seen:

ibdond.jpg

fycod0.jpg

Got some video, but it's mostly terrible!

I am now bunkered in with plenty of food. We returned to the shops when the announcement was made that the floods are expected to be worse than the 1974 floods by the end of the week. We've got all we need, and can get by just fine if the shops close or freight and produce trucks can't get through. Worse case possible scenario is a power blackout or being asked to evacuate, which is extremely unlikely given our elevation.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Heh nah. I don't know if it's just some tale my parents told me or if it's an Aboriginal thing passed down the family, but whenever Kookaburras laugh it will rain the next day. So far since I moved to Fig Tree Pocket, they seem to be right most of the time.

There was a week before the massive rainfall in Dec where they laughed for solidly throughout that week and not a single drop fell. Soon as they stop laughing, down it comes and fills the Wivenhoe.

Bernbaum said:
Here's some snaps from a major shopping centre, five minutes walk from my place. The mall is on a fairly major busy road:

I am now bunkered in with plenty of food. We returned to the shops when the announcement was made that the floods are expected to be worse than the 1974 floods by the end of the week. We've got all we need, and can get by just fine if the shops close or freight and produce trucks can't get through. Worse case possible scenario is a power blackout or being asked to evacuate, which is extremely unlikely given our elevation.

Toombul ain't a major shopping centre, that place is a ghetto!

For a while in the early 90's Toombul was where it was at though. 6 screen cinema megaplex and the best arcade in Brisbane.

My parents place backs directly onto the Kedron Brooke (same creek), and it's not looking too bad at the moment. That creek has undergone a lot of work since 1974 so it will take a LOT more to get the surrounding areas to the point they were at back then. I've seen the creek far higher than it is at the moment, so hopefully it won't cause too much strife.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
And here's a sight I'm sure many others in Brisbane have seen:

ibdond.jpg
But there's perfectly good sugary treats in the background!

Anyway, glad to hear you're in a save spot there, Bern... hope everyone you know is as lucky as you.

Salazar

Poimandres said:

For a while in the early 90's Toombul was where it was at though. 6 screen cinema megaplex and the best arcade in Brisbane.

I used to play indoor football in Toombul. I guess it did look kind of average outside.

Coorparoo is proper busted, though. Can't stand it.

Bernbaum

Poimandres said:

My parents place backs directly onto the Kedron Brooke (same creek), and it's not looking too bad at the moment. That creek has undergone a lot of work since 1974 so it will take a LOT more to get the surrounding areas to the point they were at back then. I've seen the creek far higher than it is at the moment, so hopefully it won't cause too much strife.
By Northside standards it's big!

Apart from Chermside, which is a fucking nightmare to navigate, what else is there? There's Lutwyche, Strathpine, and Aspley, and the 'bul is bigger than them.

Papa

Banned
There's a small pier outside my apartment so I took a pic of it this arvo. If the water level rises anymore, it should make for an interesting reference level.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I took a photo of the park nearby my house earlier today, where a stream runs through it and feeds out into the Brisbane River. It had quite a bit of water gushing through it, but not as much as it can get when it absolutely pours down. I'll go out there tomorrow and take another photo, then hopefully when everything clears I'll take a photo of it empty and throw them up for comparison.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Managed to get home. Only way into the suburb is a foot bridge over a lake in the middle of a retirement village :lol

So I had to leave my car at work and get dropped off and walk the rest of the way.

dumbyugi

Bernbaum said:
By Northside standards it's big!

Apart from Chermside, which is a fucking nightmare to navigate, what else is there? There's Lutwyche, Strathpine, and Aspley, and the 'bul is bigger than them.
There's Taigum as well. Not that it's worth talking about. I'm at Bracken Ridge and it's fine here. Not really worried here but you never know.

Salazar

dumbyugi said:
There's Taigum as well. Not that it's worth talking about. I'm at Bracken Ridge and it's fine here. Not really worried here but you never know.

An Aus-Gaffer with a Ricchan avatar :lol Hail, well met.

This thread has served at least one good purpose.

Poimandres said:

The last movie I saw at Toombul was...Deep Blue Sea. Says it all, really.

Although, according to the pictures here and my cousin - he lives in Hendra - Toombul's more akin to Dark Brown Sea right about now.

dumbyugi

Salazar said:
An Aus-Gaffer with a Ricchan avatar :lol Hail, well met.

This thread has served at least one good purpose.
Best K-on! character.

Found out my Aunty and little cousins were told to evacuate today but are completley blocked off. They're fine for now but could be in trouble tommorow so I hope they're ok.

Apparently they'll be shutting down power to areas of Brisbane tomorrow to prevent accidental electrocution ... So stock up on your batteries BrisGAF

senahorse

ninjapanda said:
Apparently they'll be shutting down power to areas of Brisbane tomorrow to prevent accidental electrocution ... So stock up on your batteries BrisGAF

Just CBD is confirmed at this stage, an Energex worker confirmed this on the QLD police facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom