• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

ninjapanda said:
Apparently they'll be shutting down power to areas of Brisbane tomorrow to prevent accidental electrocution ... So stock up on your batteries BrisGAF
Power off at 7am for the CBD. Not sure if I'll be affected at home.

Gazunta

I wonder if work will be open tomorrow...what with it planned to get worse in Fortitude Valley and the power cut. Turns out sitting front of a computer all day requires electricity
And willingness to get shot with Nerf guns all day

mandiller

My street is going to go under in St Lucia apparently. Not sure how much though and how serious. It could be just a little bit of waterlogging or it could be a full on flood. I'm in a share house and my room is on the second floor so most of my stuff will be fine if it does indeed come to my door, but I'm worried about downstairs.

I'm going to go to some sandbagging nearby and wait and see what happens tomorrow.

If the power/net gets cut tomorrow then I'll see you guys on the other side. Good luck everyone.

*edit*

Here are some pics.

r2qC2.jpg

This was earlier in the afternoon today by the river at the ferry terminal. Notice where the green pole is in the picture.

MClcY.jpg

This is the same place about 20 minutes ago. The green pole from the first pic is the one furthest away from the camera. It's already risen this much in a few hours. Should be interesting what two days does!

2Vdb7.jpg

This street is on an intersection to my street.

d1wa7.jpg

This is about three streets over from my place. All the drains have backed up and it gets to about knee height.

Bernbaum said:
By Northside standards it's big!

Apart from Chermside, which is a fucking nightmare to navigate, what else is there? There's Lutwyche, Strathpine, and Aspley, and the 'bul is bigger than them.

What about Brookside / Stafford. :p

Any word on the western suburbs being turned off ? :S My mates and I were gonna have a "mario party 2" day tomorrow...

Salazar

mandiller said:
My street is going to go under in St Lucia apparently.

And there I was thinking I'd love to still be living in St Lucia.

I was up fucking high, though. We barely had oxygen, let alone would we have been vulnerable to flooding.

senahorse

speedpop said:
The water in the park nearby has actually gone down. I'm a little weirded out.

As you probably know, we are on low tide now, next high is at 3AM, so maybe we will wake up to witches on beds floating past our windows and other nasties.

Salazar

x3n05 said:
As you probably know, we are on low tide now, next high is at 3AM, so maybe we will wake up to witches on beds floating past our windows and other nasties.

Just sharks, champ.

Bernbaum

Can anyone clarify what parts of Brisbane will be powered down from 7am tomorrow?

Energex's website is down, and I'm not sure whether CBD includes 'inner suburbs'.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sick of seeing Mayor Newman's mug. He has a face that makes you want to headbutt it.

Bernbaum said:
Can anyone clarify what parts of Brisbane will be powered down from 7am tomorrow?

Energex's website is down, and I'm not sure whether CBD includes 'inner suburbs'.
"Other areas of the city that could be switched off were primarily located on the Brisbane and Bremer rivers and their tributaries, Energex spokesman Mike Swanston said."

Seems likely that it'll be touch and go. If your suburb's powergrid looks like it will affect the electricity overall, it'll go down.

seanoff

Brown snake giving a frog a lift

resizer.aspx

if anyone can find it, Nien have epic footage of a boat, still on it's lift attached to it's floating dock spearing past Kangaroo Pt. Boat is dry as a desert. i did LOL

much like this except in motion

gallery.jpg

That's really sad! I hope the rain stops soon.

Also, in Sao Paulo here in Brazil, is raining like crazy every day. There were 50 flood areas in the city at 6am. Crazy.

speedpop said:
Sick of seeing Mayor Newman's mug. He has a face that makes you want to headbutt it.

awww Cambell Newman's a pretty cool guy. I remember in the storms a few years back he walked into my friend's wrecked house and started having a conversation with my dad :lol He called emergency services to the house after the SAS refused to help.

EDIT: Just got invited to "canoeing in Queen street" by facebook. :D

Choc

Banned
the CBD power cut is ONLY for those regions which would be under water.

So if a light is underwater, they will kill power to it

anywhere which is above water willhave electricity they say

This was on ABC radio

also

Ipswich is having its power turned off around 11pm Brisbane time from memory. This is the entire suburb for the evening apparently.

Bernbaum

Choc said:
the CBD power cut is ONLY for those regions which would be under water.

So if a light is underwater, they will kill power to it

anywhere which is above water willhave electricity they say

This was on ABC radio

also

Ipswich is having its power turned off around 11pm Brisbane time from memory. This is the entire suburb for the evening apparently.
Cheers Choc, we haven't got the radio on.

And yes, Ipswich gets shut off at 11pm. My Grandma is less than a kilometer from the Bremer, but I have been informed that she is sufficiently high up.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah............... if anyones having some gung ho "imma stand ma ground" sort of shit idea.... I'd advise against it.

Darklord said:
So we have 10 years of drought. Followed by the nations worst bushfires. Now finally the drought is ending, and we're being flooded and have cities and towns under water. What's next? Australia's worst hurricane?

:lol

Well there's bushfires in WA. I think WA, SA are still in drought as well as parts of VIC, TAS and NSW. Be awesome if we had a massive pipeline network to funnel this excess off.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Yeah............... if anyones having some gung ho "imma stand ma ground" sort of shit idea.... I'd advise against it.

I'd like to think we're smarter than that... though every few days you see a news report about idiots swimming / driving cars in the rapids.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
shanshan310 said:
I'd like to think we're smarter than that... though every few days you see a news report about idiots swimming / driving cars in the rapids.

Exactly. I think there is always the "yeah but i will make it" mentality stuck in peoples head.

Exactly. I think there is always the "yeah but i will make it" mentality stuck in peoples head.

last night there were a couple of girls of about 16 who got sucked into a drain. I felt pretty sorry for them until I saw that they were wearing bikinis while being comforted by paramedics =/

Choabac

I was listening to the Police Scanner through the online link that was posted earlier. They had to dispatch a squad car to rescue two sets of people who were stuck on top of their cars in flood waters. Apparently the road was already closed due to flooding, but they both chose to drive around the ‘Road Closed’ sign and got stuck.

Grug

What a champion! <3 <3 <3

One image of survival came from the flood tragedy in Ipswich yesterday when a man waded into the swollen Bremer River at One Mile Bridge to rescue a young kangaroo which was being swept away in the flood waters.

With onlookers cheering, Raymond Cole braved the fast-flowing waters to grab the terrified animal just in time and carry it to safety. ''I was only doing what any Australian would do,'' he said.

912088-rollover-strap-main.jpg

Bernbaum

To be honest, I'm a little more worried about Thursday and a lot more worried about the weeks/months to come once the waters have settled. But yes, take care and be sensible.

Here's a look at Wivenhoe's water levels. Look at that bloody spike!

j60wmd.jpg

Dead Man

Well there's bushfires in WA. I think WA, SA are still in drought as well as parts of VIC, TAS and NSW. Be awesome if we had a massive pipeline network to funnel this excess off.
It's on its way down to SA: http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110678.htm

Grug said:
What a champion! <3 <3 <3

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/01/11/1225985/912088-rollover-strap-main.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Legend!

[QUOTE=shanshan310]last night there were a couple of girls of about 16 who got sucked into a drain. I felt pretty sorry for them until I saw that they were wearing bikinis while being comforted by paramedics =/[/QUOTE]
Meh, at 16 I'll forgive them, and blame the parents.

choodi

Banned
Fuck anyone who willingly drives into or swims in flood waters.

Why should the police and SES guys have to risk their lives to save morons who are that stupid?

Dead Man

Looks like Victoria is getting in on the action too: http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3109970.htm

The weather bureau is warning Victoria may face flash flooding as early as tonight with heavy rains forecast over the next few days and the ground still sodden from pre-Christmas falls.

Between 80 and 150 millimetres of rain is expected to fall over the next few days, and some rivers could reach a moderate flood level.

Much of the rain will fall tonight, with another heavy fall expected on Friday.

The weather bureau is on floodwatch across the state, with the exception of Gippsland.

There are no official flood warnings yet, but forecaster Phil King says Victorians must be on immediate alert with falls of more than 30 millimetres an hour expected before tomorrow afternoon.

The State Emergency Service (SES) says Victorians should prepare their flood plans now.

SES spokesman Tim Weibusch says the number of holiday-makers in the state is a concern, especially for those in caravan parks

However, Mr Weibusch says the greatest danger will be at the end of the week.

"We certainly won't see houses being inundated at minor and moderate flood levels, however later in the week, if we do see further rainfall, there is the potential for major flooding to occur," he said.

He is also warning people to watch out for flash floods.

"Anytime we see more than 30 millimetres an hour falling in some areas is where we will start to see those flash flood conditions," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom