• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Bob

I wish I could do more than just donate. And I just want to say, Anna Bligh appears to be doing a brilliant job of leading her State. I wish I could find Gillard even a tenth as personable as her.

Stay safe, QueenslandGAF.

Salazar

nqs3j.jpg

Mush

Salazar said:
Lashed 'em together, huh. Ingenious.
Is it true? I've heard tales from others floating by on Hilux's and sitting on Fish and Chip shop roofs that there is actually a ocean of water separating us from you guys now.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Power is back on at home. The flood wasn't as bad as expected but it still cut off our street so kinda glad we headed out yesterday and spent the night elsewhere with power. Some houses got hit near us but it was only ankle deep at most for some, luckily. The stench and dead earthworms are what will be the main pain in the arse for the next week or two, though luckily for myself we can't smell a thing.

Gazunta: Went to the Valley and it was as dry as a bone. I heard that further down Wickham Street towards the Breaky Creek Hotel had been flooded a bit, and the roads had been closed off before the shopping centres there where you can turn right/left to head to New Farm/Bowen Hills. That seems to be the only case of flooding that hit the Valley, so it wasn't really worthy to take some photos unless you wanted to see Fortitude Valley as a ghost town :lol

SumPog

Neo Member
Mush said:
Sorry guys, it's been pretty bad here lately. I'm currently floating on a flock of Sheep, and my wifi is shaky at best.

Here's a picture from my phone, excuse the quality.
RvVPf.png

I am dumbstruck. Best of luck, I'm sure the New Zealand folk would love you at the moment, utilizing sheep. :lol

Kritz

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Lucky it didnt hit the Gold Coast..................... everywhere would have been Water World.

Yeah and Water World's the fucking WORST ONE.

IF ONLY IT RAINED BATMANS INSTEAD.

Salazar

Lucky it didnt hit the Gold Coast..................... everywhere would have been Water World.

Pains me to say it, but some of these developments are just asking for it. Build a golf course there and you're a harmless numbskull. Put houses there and you're a public endangerment as well as a fuckwit.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Gold Coast doesn't have the huge river catchment area to have a flood on the same scale.

Plenty of water front stuff here on the Sunshine Coast and we had only minor flash flooding, we also had more rain than Brisbane.

Risible

Jintor said:
I'm going to assume the yanks believe that Aussies are totally self-sufficient.

Exactly. When we hear you guys have 10 foot floods infested with sharks and crocodiles we're like "Oh, so just another normal day for the Ozzies, then?" We picture you guys as a bunch of McBains running around just murdering shit with your bare hands all day and smashing each other with broken beer bottles for fun (does Foster's even come in bottles?)

CryptiK

Risible said:
Exactly. When we hear you guys have 10 foot floods infested with sharks and crocodiles we're like "Oh, so just another normal day for the Ozzies, then?" We picture you guys as a bunch of McBains running around just murdering shit with your bare hands all day and smashing each other with broken beer bottles for fun (does Foster's even come in bottles?)
You rarely find Fosters in Australia

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Risible said:

Fosters :lol

Dead Man

Risible said:
Fosters international marketing may have been successful, but it it has a lot to answer for. :lol Almost nobody drink Fosters here.

speedpop

Probably why they tried to market the shit globally - no one in the home country drinks it, gotta sell that somehow!

Clipper

I love how Fosters uses the tagline "Export Quality" on their product. It's export quality because nobody in Australia ever drinks it, so it's the only way to get rid of it.

On the note of beer and given the flooding in Milton, did the XXXX brewery remain dry?

Clipper

To any of you Brisbanites going out to check the flood damage today, be very careful. News reports like this one stating Mary Street is unstable and could cave are quite worrying. Obey those road closure signs, whatever you do and don't take any risks. Remember there might be shattered glass just under the water's surface too if there is any left where you are going.

speedpop

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Any word on whether or not the Ipswich motorway is open for traffic today? I can't find anything on the QLD police website.
There are so many closures in and around the Ipswich motorway that I tried to avoid it as much as I could yesterday. You might fair better today but don't be surprised if you come up to a divertion.

plufim

ajim said:
Tried that Swedish Rekorderlig cider? Its absolutely awesome.
God yes, that stuff is amazing.
Three Oaks is a decent cider, definately the best widely available one. God Strongbow is just awful.

clemenx

Banned
Rain sucks, man, we got fucked in December here in Colombia and Venezuela, too. My best wishes for my Aussie and Brazilian friends.

Sew

BowieZ said:
168300_10150136194426224_736376223_8235537_5744319_n.jpg

Apparently it's not fake, but I have my doubts.
It's an oldie; my guess is someone happened upon an Australia-like puddle, then carved out Tassie with their boot heel or something.

Salazar

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/coronation-drive-may-fall-in-river-20110114-19qu0.html

One of Brisbane’s major arterial roads may be at risk of falling into the river, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says.

Cr Newman said today that Coronation Drive, which connects the CBD with the western suburbs, has been slow to reopen after the flood because of structural concerns.

He said the high river level and silt had made it difficult to inspect potential damage, but that council engineers were concerned the lanes closest to the river could fall into the water because of the unsteadiness of the river bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom