• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Hands-on and Impressions Thread

Fredrik

As said in the other thread. The jungle looks really good. The gun combat looked great too, bow combat looked mid. I liked the gun sound and animations, very nice.

But combat looked too easy. I assume there is a difficulty option, no? Taking down big mechlike exoskeleton enemies in like 2 seconds with a gun is no fun. Health regen ruins the difficulty too, there is no real consequence from going Rambo as long as you have a couple seconds to hide behind a wall when needed.

Surprised to hear a female voice on the main protag. Can you choose the gender or is this yet another powerful woman game?

GHG

I'm down for Far Cry: Avatar edition.

This actually looks good, although what shill-up has to say about the limited combat options does worry me a tad. Will be interesting to see how this reviews and performs closer to launch.

Surprised to hear a female voice on the main protag. Can you choose the gender or is this yet another powerful woman game?

There's a fully featured Na'vi character creator so I assume you'll get a choice then.

Xtib81

Visually very inconsistant, you'd think that their draw distance would be incredible for such a game but nope. The HUD looks awful imo and the gameplay is classic, even clunky at times. I bet this game won't go over a 80 MC score.

Last edited:

Nydius

I'm actually rather looking forward to this even though I know exactly what I'm getting. I know it's going to be bloated, I know combat is going to vacillate between brain dead easy and "why the fuck are these enemies so spongy?!", I know I'm going to hit a wall where I have to push through to keep going (all typical Ubi open world stuff), but it looks like a fun romp despite that.

I probably won't regret picking it up, although I'm starting to debate whether or not I want to wait -- not because of the game quality or gameplay but simply because I've got too many things on the backlog already and probably won't be through them by December.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It looks incredibly dense and it really does give a sense of scope, which yes, does feel ''next-gen''. However their lighting can be pretty off at times which reveals that certain textures aren't what they used to be.

The fogging is pretty heavy, i got Turok vibes (Although that game series had fog up to your face). Biggest letdown is the LOD system, clearly it is casting a worldview as big as any battle royale, just a lot more detailed.

However, when all things do come together, then the game really does look stunning. I can see this being used as a benchmark tool, and the relative natural colour scheme makes it a great game for photo-ops. Mirror's Edge and MGSV also had that really blueish tint over it which i absolutely adore. So atleast in the visual department, its one of the more stunning FP games, and one that doesn't use Unreal for once.

I reckon this is the Next-Gen iteration of Snowdrop considering XDefiant still targets last-gen hardware.

Humdinger

Looks well-produced. I'm not sure how fun it will be. Yes, there are innovations that lift it beyond being just another iteration of Far Cry, but will that be enough to make it an engrossing, enjoyable experience? I can't tell yet.

Neolombax

Ehh, after this preview it kinda killed some of my interest. Nothing in the preview screams exciting to me, seems like more of the same, even less exciting than Far Cry 6 to be honest.

Fredrik

As one of the dozens of fans of the movies, I’m hyped.
I love the movies. Not sure yet what to think about this game though, parts if it looks fantastic and spot on but parts of it I’ve seen too many times, like climbing up to bond with the ikran, to want to spend time doing that in a game.
The things I like the most from previews is actually the gun combat. Feels punchy, tight, is well-animated, nice sound. Never played a Far Cry so maybe this is normal for fans of those games idk
Flying looked so-so but is great for traversing the map at least.
Either way, I’ll play it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me it looks like FarCry with Avatar license but I guess its great for people who like Far Cry games.

Humdinger

The things I like the most from previews is actually the gun combat. Feels punchy, tight, is well-animated, nice sound. Never played a Far Cry so maybe this is normal for fans of those games idk

Yeah, Far Cry games tend to have pretty good guns -- sound, feel, variety, controls.

Top Bottom