• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Supreme Commander Preview (TA:Electric Boogaloo)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
oh dammit, should have brought more tissues.

You can use the mousewheel to scroll out from this level of action:
supreme-commander-20050707115430593.jpg

To this level of action

supreme-commander-20050707115432124.jpg

Where all those icon represent much smaller dots on the map that are the units from the first shot (not the same scene).

Game sounds awesome, at last an RTS dealing with proper scale, and GLOBAL conflict...cant wait...Chris Taylor, never leave the RTS genre again.

Borys

Banned
This thread lacks eye-candy.

ta14lk.jpg

ta23mt.jpg

ta37hj.jpg

Note the scale on this image - those little units are tanks that makes this spider-mech as big as a small stadium.

ta41zj.jpg

ta53wa.jpg

suaveric

This is looks awesome. But I worry when developers don't go with rock-paper-scissors gameplay. For single player it doesn't matter too much, but I have yet to play a better balanced multiplayer game then StarCraft.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Looks pretty cool. Is it just me or does the terrain engine look almost identical to the original TA's, especially that Ice shot (purely from the ground) looks right out of the orignal.

I LOVED TA.

That being said, there were definitly areas that needed improvment, and I hope this game does them

For example, big units (like battleships) need to either be much faster to build, or (preferably) live much longer. It would take quite a while to build something like the battleship, and it would get sunk in a few seconds once in combat. Id like to see some big units that make a DIFFERENCE in battle, something that could really turn the tide. Like the Supercruisers in Homeworld 2. They took a long time to make, but once built they could really take a pounding. And when one arrived on the scene of a capship battle, you knew it was going to be a big factor. And don't say "wait TA had the Krogoth!" because that thing was never supposed to be built, especially not in multiplayer. The game designers basially said "yeah, well if your opponent is lax enough to actually let you build a Krogoth, they deserve whats comin to them."

The other weakness (I felt) was air units. They were expensive to build, and really didnt seem to be all that effective.

Blazyr

A screen full of brawlers was pretty potent. Even if the enemy had flak you were going to hit them with some serious losses.

much <3 for TA and fingers crossed for this living up to its standard

element

I'm confused. This is being published by THQ, but GPG has a deal with EA Games still for an RTS? Or did EA drop GPG and THQ picked it up?

sammy

I missed out on TA - but man i will not pass this up!

Is it 2d!? is it 2d!? please say yea, that would be grand -----
If not, then those are the most photoshoped fake images ever.... no way that's 3d, unless they're working on some CAD engine that runs in complete isometric.

I'm still not convinced they have anything from these shots, and hopefully they'll get an art-director at some point - but I'll keep my eye open, looks fun.

SKluck

Banned
element said:
I'm confused. This is being published by THQ, but GPG has a deal with EA Games still for an RTS? Or did EA drop GPG and THQ picked it up?

EA apparently passed on it. They'll regret it.

SKluck

Banned
Yeah, they had the publishing rights and "declined".

No idea what they were thinking. Doesn't make any sense. This is the RTS everybody has been waiting for, aside from another Blizzard one.

blackadde

Looks great. I prefer a smaller more micro-intense game (see: wc3) but I'm definately going to give this one a chance after passing on TA.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I just came back into this thread, saw those screenshots again and messed another pair of pants.

They could have just made hi-res TA and id have been camping out GAME for my copy (that's what the zoomed in screenshots look like to me) but they've also gone so much further into things I've wanted RTS games to do for years.

Ive never wanted a game this much, ever.

Stryder

HO-LY CRAP

That looks fricking unbelievable, from those screenies alone this has become my most awaited PC title.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Blah Starcraft is too damn perfect. I don't beleive I could ever enjoy another RTS again. And oh how I have tried.

suaveric

Graphically, I'd agree. But I've still yet to play a game with better balance with such wide ranging ways to play. But if there is some game I've missed since 1998, please point it out to me.

It's called Kohan: Ahriman's Gift.

Or hell, Warlords Battlecry, if you want a series that did what Warcraft 3 tried to do, but much better.

Zensetsu

I havn't played an RTS that I was actually *nutso* about since TA...I liked TA so much I played TA:K to try to get a fix... This is awesome news.

Top Bottom