• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Yoda Canceled Amid Accusations of Genocide

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I just wanna know who thought this was a good idea. Like... 'we have this woman whose species is facing extinction and she's very protective of these her eggs.' ‘We should have Baby Yoda eat them.’ ‘Hey yay dude, bro high five’ Like what????" one Twitter user posted on Nov. 9. (Vanity Fair is excluding links to protect people from potential harassment.)

“Gosh, Baby Yoda is losing the charm,” another posted on Nov. 6. “I hated him because he ate the eggs of a lady frog and her species. IT'S AN EXTINCTION!!!!”

Another wrote: “Baby Yoda not knowing any better...genocide for sake of ‘cute humor’ is never very funny. I mean, I laughed but I felt really guilty about it.”

Another Star Wars-centric Twitter user quoted the Frog Lady herself: “'We fought too hard and suffered too much to resign ourselves to the extinction of our family line,' Frog Lady said after engineering a translator and standing up to a legendary Mandalorian. ‘But please use these eggs as the butt of your misogynistic joke.’”

“Ya know I was defending this story choice the other day because I thought it was intentionally very disturbing, not comic relief, and would hopefully have some meaning going forward. But now I'm just INCREDIBLY disgusted,” one user replied. “I'm so sorry I gave you all the benefit of the doubt.”

Twitter being Twitter, it got ugly fast—and stayed that way. Some of the counter complaints were abusive in nature. “It's fu--ing funny because they are fictional characters besides nonexistent species, so stop the drama for a f--king tv show," one user posted. "There are REALLY important things in the REAL world.”

Some of the more heartfelt concerns were raised by fans who said they were simply reminded of the real-life pain of their personal medical struggles, comparing the Frog Lady's storyline to the often difficult experience of in vitro fertilization. “As a Star Wars fan with a history of multiple miscarriages who is saving up for IVF, them playing this as a bit feels extremely gross and mean-spirited,” one user wrote.

“So, as a person who went through fertility treatments and the mother of a baby who tries to eat everything—I get the intended gag of Baby Yoda eating the eggs. My first reaction was ‘omg, it’s my child.’ But then...stop it? The story makes it clear those eggs are important,” another person posted.

The Mandalorian didn't even last two episodes into its second season before the mob went after it.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
a76c755d9ef7993e6b0987aa58268cd3.gif

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if we would be better off, psychologically, with a new Worldwide Total War.

In the long run, maybe, but everyone kills everyone isn’t exactly a game of Fortnite. Particularly civil war, which this would involve. I don’t know if people understand the ramifications of asking for this. You want to avoid this until it’s the last possible place to go, because it will be an absolute nightmare.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I said it before, I'll say it again.

The solution for those fucking crybabies is mandatory living in a third world slum, deprived of money, riding four busses to get to work, etc, etc. For one year.

These motherfuckers would toughen up faster than GAFs dicks when they see Emma Roberts.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If reporters braved and scoured the depths of society for these opinions and they spouted their ridiculous opinions on TV, the people would become a laughing stock and the news stations would either be ridiculed for stupidity or for bullying/exploiting the mentally ill for cheap screen time. They’d likely lose rational viewers.

But when it’s on the internet, they concentrate a few of the worst tweets, throw 2 minutes of writing to tie the cherry picking together, then publish it and people willingly share the manufactured controversy. It’s bottom feeder behaviour by big and small outlets alike, and while people with their head screwed on will instantly dismiss it for the inane rambling it is, even here people give it more credibility than it’s worth by discussing it and letting it feed into the larger picture of outrage culture that’s amplified so easily and so well on the internet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom