• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Episode 46: Panzer Dragoon

This episode Greg Sewart and Justin “JJ” Epperson of 8-4 Play join Kevin to remember and revisit Panzer Dragoon on the Sega Saturn.

You can support Back in my Play by becoming a Patreon:
http://www.patreon.com/backinmyplay

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Brave Wave

Neifirst

^New Episode is up!

Took a few hours to edit, hope you enjoy the little touches.

Was not expecting the Wii U love-fest at the end, but it was great to hear. And a million thanks for the tip on refurbished Punch-Out - shipping was a bit steep, but I'm much happier paying $17 instead of $30+.

Was not expecting the Wii U love-fest at the end, but it was great to hear. And a million thanks for the tip on refurbished Punch-Out - shipping was a bit steep, but I'm much happier paying $17 instead of $30+.

Glad you enjoyed it! And Punch-Out!! is awesome!

This is the coolest thing to ever happen. Hip Tanaka wore a Back in my Play t-shirt at one of his recent concerts for Red Bull Music Academy:

Ultima_5

I really liked the wind waker episode and it was great hearing a retro podcast talk about a newish game that I'm nostalgic about (was in middle school when it came out)

Just want to throw this out there, but i'd be most stoked for a link's awakening episode. Its by far one of my favorite zelda games and one of the few gb games that I don't think has aged at all. not to mention the excellent soundtrack!

I really liked the wind waker episode and it was great hearing a retro podcast talk about a newish game that I'm nostalgic about (was in middle school when it came out)

Just want to throw this out there, but i'd be most stoked for a link's awakening episode. Its by far one of my favorite zelda games and one of the few gb games that I don't think has aged at all. not to mention the excellent soundtrack!

It is coming. I have lots of great episodes planned:

Bare Knuckle III w/ Greg Sewart
Metal Gear Solid with Kyle Bosman
Star Fox 64 w/ CJ and Peter Brown
Basewars w/ Rich Grisham

dperrin

It is coming. I have lots of great episodes planned:

Bare Knuckle III w/ Greg Sewart
Metal Gear Solid with Kyle Bosman
Star Fox 64 w/ CJ and Peter Brown
Basewars w/ Rich Grisham

Those are some good episodes and good guests coming soon. Pretty stoked to hear Kyle Bosman!

If you listen to Back in my Play or the episodes I have been on the Player One Podcast, you may have heard me address how weak the audio output is on the Nintendo 3DS/XL (and also Vita 1000). Even with earbuds the volume can't reach enjoyable levels, let along a decent set of headphones like the ATH-50s.

I found a solution for under $30 that will bring new life to your 3DS, the Fiio E6 portable amp. It is 2x2" amp that is more than enough to power my ATH-50s for 8+ hours. Even has Bass boost EQ options if you want.

Just want to share this alternative for others like me that want to listen to power a decent set of headphone or blast some awesome music from Theatrythm.

Also if you want a more in depth look I did make a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5I3m_iN4hc

Thanks! Did a 75 minute interview with Jools today. Recording Bare Knuckle III episode tonight and BimP Game of the Year episode with CJ, Greg, and Josh tomorrow.

Latest Episode:
Episode 43: 2014 Year in Review (Revisit)

This episode Chris Johnston, Greg Sewart, and Josh Hillyer join Kevin to revisit our favorite games featured on the show in 2014. Also hear Kevin's impressions of the New 3DS he imported from Japan, how to fix the poor audio output in the 3DS, 2015 gaming resolutions, and more!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Bare Knuckle III

isucamper1

Neo Member
Argh I cannot not take any more of this Final Fight bashing (sorry I've been marathoning your show to get caught up and it keeps coming up). Yes the SNES received a bad port of the arcade game and yes Final Fight 2 was strangely low quality for Capcom at the time. But Final Fight 3 is very good, maybe not as good as SoR 2 or 3 but it's at least comparable. And the arcade game is the king of the beat 'em up. It has tighter, faster, more frantic gameplay than any of the others and you cannot beat the graphics and sound. (Tell Greg the Sega CD version is fine but it plays way slower and looks washed out).

Keep up the good work!

Argh I cannot not take any more of this Final Fight bashing (sorry I've been marathoning your show to get caught up and it keeps coming up). Yes the SNES received a bad port of the arcade game and yes Final Fight 2 was strangely low quality for Capcom at the time. But Final Fight 3 is very good, maybe not as good as SoR 2 or 3 but it's at least comparable. And the arcade game is the king of the beat 'em up. It has tighter, faster, more frantic gameplay than any of the others and you cannot beat the graphics and sound. (Tell Greg the Sega CD version is fine but it plays way slower and looks washed out).

Keep up the good work!

haha, it is more of a running joke than being serious. But SoR 4 LIFE.

StevieWhite

Kevin, it's pretty clear from listening to you on various podcasts that you're a fan of pro wrestling. When are we getting a late 90's wrestling game podcast?

I have a long car trip ahead so I'll be putting these on the ipod next weekend.

How do you determine who is the guest on the show? Seems like you have a large group of people rolling through.

I have a long car trip ahead so I'll be putting these on the ipod next weekend.

How do you determine who is the guest on the show? Seems like you have a large group of people rolling through.

I like to shake it up with the guest. Trying to broaden the line up and get one guests that have a lot of history with the game/franchise.

entremet

Hey everyone. Where do you fall on Super Mario Sunshine?

A letdown. It's still a decent title. But given Mario's pedigree and coming after 64 hurt it.

I actually love the tropical setting, but I wish the stages were more varied and blue coins were horrendous.

The secret levels were amazing. And obviously an inspiration for Galaxy.

Hey everyone. Where do you fall on Super Mario Sunshine?

It's a very strange departure from what came before it. It's very much based on precision movement which was a departure from Mario 64 who's game world felt designed around being forgiving as far as platforming went. The FLUDD backpack was a burden rather than a bonus compared to other power ups from previous games, and you constantly fought with the Camera. I think the basis around the fludd was the worst part because half the time if felt like it wasn't fully integrated, and at times you felt like you were fighting with it rather than having it be something designed to help you. It wasn't a very mario game, for lack of a better description.

I think Nintendo had a lot in mind for what they wanted to do with Sunshine, and despite those intentions, the game still felt unfocused. I think Nintendo was in a weird space after Mario 64 because their next set of games in franchises like Zelda and Mario couldn't just rely on the fact that they were 3D anymore and I think that's why Sunshine was sort of a weird stepping stone. Then you lead into the Wii era and you see that sort of refinement in controls again, back to the more forgiving with Mario Galaxy. that was then improved upon with Mario Galaxy 2.

Really beautiful water though.

It's not a bad game per-se, but it doesn't feel like any other mario game out there. There's a lot more that could be said about it, probably, but I need to dip out and grab my kid some tissues since he's home sick.

It's a very strange departure from what came before it. It's very much based on precision movement which was a departure from Mario 64 who's game world felt designed around being forgiving as far as platforming went. The FLUDD backpack was a burden rather than a bonus compared to other power ups from previous games, and you constantly fought with the Camera. I think the basis around the fludd was the worst part because half the time if felt like it wasn't fully integrated, and at times you felt like you were fighting with it rather than having it be something designed to help you. It wasn't a very mario game, for lack of a better description.

I think Nintendo had a lot in mind for what they wanted to do with Sunshine, and despite those intentions, the game still felt unfocused. I think Nintendo was in a weird space after Mario 64 because their next set of games in franchises like Zelda and Mario couldn't just rely on the fact that they were 3D anymore and I think that's why Sunshine was sort of a weird stepping stone. Then you lead into the Wii era and you see that sort of refinement in controls again, back to the more forgiving with Mario Galaxy. that was then improved upon with Mario Galaxy 2.

Really beautiful water though.

It's not a bad game per-se, but it doesn't feel like any other mario game out there. There's a lot more that could be said about it, probably, but I need to dip out and grab my kid some tissues since he's home sick.

That's a really interesting thought on Nintendo being in a difficult place after the N64 Mario and Zeldas. Wind Waker and Sunshine were both big departures (one aesthetically, one in gameplay mechanics) , almost to the point of it seeming like they were different for the sake of being different.

Teknoman

lol Josh "Auld game syne".

At any rate, Panzer Dragoon episode should be really interesting. Great rail shooter series...actually almost better than Star Fox due to how great and unique its universe/soundtrack is. You should give Orta a shot if you havent already.

EDIT: The GB music one is supposed to feature Jake Kaufman? Whoa.

Also not to be that guy, but I hope the interludes for Bare Knuckle 3 dont make my ears bleed. :p

Latest Episode:
Episode 44: Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage 3

This episode Greg Sewart joins Kevin to discuss the interesting history of the third game in the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage series.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Jools Watsham

entremet

Coach, I don't know if you were aware but the 360 had an M2 developed Streets of Rage collection, part of the Sega Vintage Collection, which was overlooked sadly. It has all the regions of the first 3 Mega Drive games, including BK3 and the emulation is top notch being M2. The games have soundtrack player and nice scanline filter options.

That's a much cheaper option and still legal as well!

I played a lot of Streets of Rage 2 and the original back when I was younger but I never played Streets of Rage 3.

I have collected all 3 PAL versions since then but I've just never been able to get into SOR3. I really don't like the graphics or the character sprites as they are just not as colorful as SOR2. Everything uses darker and muddier colors and the sprites and portraits look like Sega have tried to take the artwork in more realistic direction but instead it just looks drab and ugly.

The combat doesn't seem the same either, but mainly I think it's because the enemies just aren't as fun to fight especially those agent types with guns.

The game really didn't feel the same to me, but it hasn't stopped me from continuing to go back to it every now and again to it to give it another chance.

Programming update:

The interview with Jools Watsham will be up tomorrow morning for Patreon supporters.

Also I am recording a new episode on Panzer Dragoon this weekend with Greg and JJ from 84 Play. Might also be recording another episode on Thursday with the guys from BraveWave.

Top Bottom