• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

TheWraith

No kidding, was in Tokyo last week and all stores were flooded with westerners over the weekend, with especially PC engine and SNES/SFC racks emptied. Friends especially had really empty racks for both especially. Was glad to find Rainbow Islands PCE for still a good price. Will be interesting to see how this will evolve in the coming years.

Kevin, mind informing of that store in the suburbs? Seemed really nice by the looks of your haul!

No kidding, was in Tokyo last week and all stores were flooded with westerners over the weekend, with especially PC engine and SNES/SFC racks emptied. Friends especially had really empty racks for both especially. Was glad to find Rainbow Islands PCE for still a good price. Will be interesting to see how this will evolve in the coming years.

Kevin, mind informing of that store in the suburbs? Seemed really nice by the looks of your haul!

Just go 45 minutes outside of tokyo to any book off or used shop and you will find a ton of stuff. It is just Akihabara and the big game shops that are out of stuff.

Also amazon japan is great.

TheWraith

Just go 45 minutes outside of tokyo to any book off or used shop and you will find a ton of stuff. It is just Akihabara and the big game shops that are out of stuff.

Haha I know, but wasn't so lucky in the book offs in Kanagawa, just outside of Tokyo proper. Amazon seems interesting indeed, thanks!

Teknoman

So Amazon Japan is better than checking out Japanese sellers on North American Amazon? Honest question.

TheWraith

So Amazon Japan is better than checking out Japanese sellers on North American Amazon? Honest question.

Most definitely as they don't inflate prices for foreign buyers. Most sellers on Amazon JP don't send outside of the country, so you'd need an address in Japan.

Teknoman

Most definitely as they don't inflate prices for foreign buyers. Most sellers on Amazon JP don't send outside of the country, so you'd need an address in Japan.

I forget what its called, but isnt there some service where you could buy something from a japanese shop, and have another party ship it to you? Not sure if that would be cheaper though.

Exactly. I would even recommend that if you come to Japan and want to get some retro games to do some shopping in Akihabara (use the guide from the podcast episode) and then order from amazon and have them delivered to the hotel.

You guys should do more Game Boy games. Link's Awakening maybe?
I didn't grow up owning an NES or SNES, but I had solely a Game Boy for about 7 years before my N64.

Latest Episode:
Episode 39: Sega Net (Sega Dreamcast Online)

This episode we remember and revisit Sega.net, the online service for the Sega Dreamcast. Chris Johnston and Greg Sewart join Kevin to talk about the history of the service, the games that made it special, our personal memories when the service launched in 2000. We also talk about the best Nintendo DS to complete your collection, some news, and more!

You can support Back in my Play by becoming a Patreon:
http://www.patreon.com/backinmyplay

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Star Fox 64?

orient

Neo Member
Looking forward to this ep - will listen at work.

You heading home earlier than you planned, Kevin? Hope you had a good time.

Did pretty well staying at my $350 budget while in Japan. If you are willing to look and go through amazon JP you can still find good deals.

I am going to be doing a retro game live stream tonight starting around 6pm EST to test out all the games I got in Japan. Sega Saturn, Gameboy, Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, and more! Stay tuned!

Getting started early streaming retro game pick ups from Japan. Sega Saturn, Famicom, SFC, Dreamcast, and more! twitch.tv/kevinlarrabee

The show returns this weekend with Shin Shinobi Den/Shinobi Legions on teh Sega Saturn. Greg Sewart and Peter Brown are joining me for it.

dperrin

Hey Kevin, got a few questions for Mike.

I would like to hear more about that DS version of Death Jr he posted on Twitter. It looked pretty cool.

Does he have any stories from the E.T. dig that didn't show up in the documentary?

What are some of Mike's favorite "go to" games?

Hey Kevin, got a few questions for Mike.

I would like to hear more about that DS version of Death Jr he posted on Twitter. It looked pretty cool.

Does he have any stories from the E.T. dig that didn't show up in the documentary?

What are some of Mike's favorite "go to" games?

Good questions, still have until tomorrow to get them in.

StevieWhite

I got one: are there any abandoned ports he wishes had come to fruition? I'd be interested in hearing his thougts on the lost Resident Evil port for GBC as well.

Next three episodes are as follows:

Shi Shinobi Den (Greg Sewart, Peter Brown)
Mike Mika's Time Machine
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (CJ, Josh)

Latest Episode:
Episode 40: Mike Mika’s Time Machine (Part II)

This is one jam packed episode with Mike Mika talking about completion of #IDARB’s production, some exclusive news, the future of game preservation with games shipping broken, newly found prototypes, Atari:Game Over documentary, NBA JAM, Sega Saturn, The Atari Jaguar, and on! Basically Mike and I just chatted about games for 90 minutes.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Shin Shinobi Den

TheWraith

Have to agree, great episode and I'm not even into Xbox/Halo stuff at all. Mike is always really interesting to hear from, so many inside stories!

Awesome to hear you guys enjoyed it. Mike certainly helped the episode after all my rambling.

Will need to find a game for him to talk about.

I just re-listened to the NES Music podcast again and that one is a thing of beauty. I feel like you could have kept going into hours 3 and 4 and no one would have cared haha.

Still hoping for some more Game Boy stuff in the future.

Teknoman

I just re-listened to the NES Music podcast again and that one is a thing of beauty. I feel like you could have kept going into hours 3 and 4 and no one would have cared haha.

Still hoping for some more Game Boy stuff in the future.

Yeah, I still occasionally listen to the NES music podcast.

I eagerly await the 20 hour SNES music episode!

A GB music episode would be pretty cool. It would be nice to see a Saturn music episode with just Sega first party titles.

wondermega

love this podcast, just listened to Saturn 101. I was disappointed that there were no show notes listing the names of the Saturn music played during the interstitials? Any chance to get a list of them? (I need a starting point to find more)

Thanks for putting this show out!

Latest Episode:
Episode 41: Shin Shinobi Den/Shinobi Legions

Greg Sewart and Peter Brown join Kevin to discuss the crazy 2d action platformer Shin Shinobi Den (or Shinobi Legions in the US) on the Sega Saturn. We also discuss some current retro topics, holiday gaming memories, and more.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Very stoked for Windwaker!

I just finished the SegaNet podcast and I wanted to mention a few things:

1. THANK YOU for all the great things mentioned about Phantasy Star Online. I was hit right in the nostalgia. The music you put in towards the beginning made me very happy.

2. At the end, you talked about DS games you should check out, and I didn't hear Phantasy Star Zero mentioned! It's basically the "spiritual" successor of PSO when it comes to gameplay formulas. Unfortunately the nintendo server isn't up, but at least it has a much better story than PSO did. I played about 150 hours just on my own.

Very stoked for Windwaker!

I just finished the SegaNet podcast and I wanted to mention a few things:

1. THANK YOU for all the great things mentioned about Phantasy Star Online. I was hit right in the nostalgia. The music you put in towards the beginning made me very happy.

2. At the end, you talked about DS games you should check out, and I didn't hear Phantasy Star Zero mentioned! It's basically the "spiritual" successor of PSO when it comes to gameplay formulas. Unfortunately the nintendo server isn't up, but at least it has a much better story than PSO did. I played about 150 hours just on my own.

Glad you enjoyed the episode. Hope to do more weird topics like that.

dperrin

The Shinobi episode was really good. I love hearing about weird games. Also enjoyed hearing everyone's Christmas gaming memories. My favorite Christmas gaming memory was when I got a Sega Genesis model 2 with Columns, Troy Aikman's football and The Lion King. Ahh, good times.

Top Bottom