• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

4Tran

Been that way forever, lots of ethnic and tribal lines in the region. Pair that with malicious design of colonial powers and you get an even more fractured nature. Hell the only real time where the ME banded together was to kick Saddam out of Kuwait.
It's a lot worse now than it used to be. Back in the day the Cold War kept things more or less at bay, but with it gone, the Saudi Arabia-Iran conflict is heating up more and more. There's a real chance that a war will actually break out between the two some time in the next couple of decades.

Technically they might be right.
Yeah, this reminds me of the gunmen attack on Mumbai in 2008. That was an ISI op, and this could be something similar.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If I think another country attacked my parlament and have solid proof of that the next logical step is to declare war. I don't think Iran has definitive proof, the Saudis have dozens of proxies

Of course they don't have definitive proof, they're just skipping the proxies in throwing that accusation. It's not war, but they are putting themselves in a "ready" position, especially in the context of this Qatar crisis.

4Tran

If I think another country attacked my parlament and have solid proof of that the next logical step is to declare war. I don't think Iran has definitive proof, the Saudis have dozens of proxies
You don't need proof to declare war, and an attack like this doesn't automatically lead to war. The Mumbai attack never lead to war, and this might not either. It's wholly dependent on whether Iran thinks the pros of going to war outweigh the cons. I doubt that they do right now, but things can change over the next few years.

Tovarisc

Turkey to fast track legislation approving troop deployment in Qatar - officials

Turkey threw its support behind Qatar on Wednesday, with officials saying it could fast-track troop deployment and provide crucial food and water supplies to the Gulf Arab country facing isolation from some of the biggest Middle Eastern powers.

In the deepest split between Arab states for decades, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain severed relations with Qatar on Monday and closed their airspace to commercial flights, saying it was funding militant groups.

Qatar vehemently denies the accusations.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has said isolating Qatar would not resolve any problems. Erdogan, who has long tried to play the role of a regional power broker, said Ankara would do everything in its power to help end the regional crisis.
http://in.reuters.com/article/gulf-...4dc0&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Technically they might be right.
Because Saudia Arabia got attacked since the 80s by Iranian backed terrorist attacks and haven't done a thing.

On other news Egyptians intelligence confirmed through their Twitter accounts the presence of IRG in Qatar close to the Emir palace.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because Saudia Arabia got attacked since the 80s by Iranian backed terrorist attacks and haven't done a thing.

On other news Egyptians intelligence confirmed through their Twitter accounts the presence of IRG in Qatar close to the Emir palace.

There's a logical fallacy in this.

Shit is gonna pop off soon.

Watch Putin get involved

Well Putin was and enemy of Erdogan for few months and now they are buddies again... So no idea in which direction this will go. It's one of those cases where it's hard to have opinion because everything is so convoluted. And Trump being friends with Saudis is only making everything else more insane...

4Tran

Shit is gonna pop off soon.

Watch Putin get involved
Usually, the US is the moderating element in this kind of mess so tensions would die down rather than escalate. But now Trump is president, and he's the loosest cannon in the last hundred years. He's indicated support for Saudi Arabia, but who knows what that will actually mean on the diplomatic stage, or even if that position will hold up by the end of tonight.

Well Putin was and enemy of Erdogan for few months and now they are buddies again... So no idea in which direction this will go. It's one of those cases where it's hard to have opinion because everything is so convoluted. And Trump being friends with Saudis is only making everything else more insane...
The US is aligned with Saudi Arabia while Russia has been buddying up with Iran. I'm pretty sure that Russia will be pro-Qatar if they want to dip their toes in.

It's a lot worse now than it used to be. Back in the day the Cold War kept things more or less at bay, but with it gone, the Saudi Arabia-Iran conflict is heating up more and more. There's a real chance that a war will actually break out between the two some time in the next couple of decades.

Cold War era saw a lot more internal conflict with the rise of strongmen and large terror groups (Hamas, Hezbollah etc etc) along with ethnic cleansing by strongmen. There was even the major flashpoint of Iran-Iraq. The recent change has been Iraq has fallen from a regional power (now under Iranian influence) and SA building their military projection to pick up the slack. The open wound of Syria has been where tensions have been escalating between proxy forces. Now Trump has seemingly given a green light for SA to close ranks on their side of the Strait of Hormuz

Xando

Putin is 100% gonna get involved if he can try and fuck over the americans. Possibly kicking them out of Qatar.

You know he smelled blood and will try to fuck over Trump as soon as he can

Just answering my friends there.

I don't have any strong opinions here and my distrust of Saudi Arabia lies with the fact that Trump is friends with them and whole 9/11 debacle that everyone seems to have forgotten. Both of these are not great reason to be suspicious of anything. They are just circumstantial evidence. :) So technically I don't really have sides in this conflict.

Blind defense of one over another makes me question the premise of what is happening. And it seemed like you were just blindly defending Saudi Arabia.

Weckum

Just answering my friends there.

One related news,
Senegal just announced severing diplomatic with Qatar.
Skynews Arabia

Yeah, lots of African countries getting behind their Saudi sponsors. Only makes sense. Expect Djibouti to follow as well.

The US is aligned with Saudi Arabia while Russia has been buddying up with Iran. I'm pretty sure that Russia will be pro-Qatar if they want to dip their toes in.

Putin is 100% gonna get involved if he can try and fuck over the americans. Possibly kicking them out of Qatar.

You know he smelled blood and will try to fuck over Trump as soon as he can

I wouldn't even know which side to pick in that case. I believe Putin is much more evil than Trump (he is smarter and he invaded the country I was born it), BUT I really don't see any way this can be resolved with a "winner" even diplomatically.

Plus I'm sure that Putin cares about oil prices more than Saudis do. They can always screw Russia over this...

Xando

Plus I'm sure that Putin cares about oil prices more than Saudis do. They can always screw Russia over this...
Not sure about this. Higher Oil price would help the russian economy.

It's not like the saudis would be bombing russian oilfields. Saudis, Qatar and everyone else in that region would be fucked though

CrunchyB

Well, this is escalating quickly. Good thing the world can depend on the vast diplomatic resources of the White House to smooth things out

Not sure about this. Higher Oil price would help the russian economy.

It's not like the saudis would be bombing russian oilfields. Saudis, Qatar and everyone else in that region would be fucked though

I was thinking other way around. They can single–handedly drop oil prices which would hurt Russia more than them. They kind of did it few years ago when Russia was trying to team up and get oil prices back up... (even seemed to me that Saudis were pressured by Obama)

Mohonky

I wouldn't even know which side to pick in that case. I believe Putin is much more evil than Trump (he is smarter and he invaded the country I was born it), BUT I really don't see any way this can be resolved with a "winner" even diplomatically.

Middle East is likely going to be getting borders redrawn real soon. I don't see how this pans out any other way. Every country in the area is at each others throats and Russia and the US have too many interests in the mix to let things just play out without getting involved.

So far as I can tell, China is probably the only major player I don't think has any real financial or power relevant reason to get involved, at least directly.

4Tran

Cold War era saw a lot more internal conflict with the rise of strongmen and large terror groups (Hamas, Hezbollah etc etc) along with ethnic cleansing by strongmen. There was even the major flashpoint of Iran-Iraq. The recent change has been Iraq has fallen from a regional power (now under Iranian influence) and SA building their military projection to pick up the slack. The open wound of Syria has been where tensions have been escalating between proxy forces. Now Trump has seemingly given a green light for SA to close ranks on their side of the Strait of Hormuz
Yeah, I agree that the biggest change was for the US to allow Iran to swallow up Iraq. Up until then, the biggest counterweight against Iran was Iraq, but with the realignment Saudi Arabia found themselves in a lot of trouble. The invasion of Iraq was probably the dumbest thing that the US has ever done in the Middle East.

I think that this is an instructive case of why picking sides in conflicts is a bad idea. It's unlikely for either side to win outright, so the only plausible outcome is that a lot of people will end up suffering while we wait for the next step in escalation in this Cold War. Usually, it's the job of the US to try to be a moderating influence, but even that's out the window.

The only likely winner is China because they have no bone in this fight, so they'll get to reap any benefits at no cost. But even that's contingent on oil prices not spiking. If they do, then non-Middle East oil producers like Russia and Canada will end up "winning".

Xando

I was thinking other way around. They can single–handedly drop oil prices which would hurt Russia more than them. They kind of did it few years ago when Russia was trying to team up and get oil prices back up... (even seemed to me that Saudis were pressured by Obama)

I think if (big if) war ever broke out between iran and the saudis oil production would be hit as one of the first targets which would result in a significantly higher oil price. Russian and American oil companies would be celebrating since geographically they're obviously not in danger of being hit.

Valhelm

contribute something

Russia is much, much friendlier to Iran than Turkey. The US-Saudi alliance isn't something new under Trump, but a tradition back to the Truman era. As a religious monarchy, Saudi Arabia helped us keep down the secular Soviet-aligned regimes that opposed US policy from the 50s up until the 2000s. This alliance has the led the US down some pretty bad paths, because we've historically often cooperated with radical Wahhabist terrorist groups set up by the Saudis. A good example right now is Jabhat al-Nusra, a terrorist organization funded by both Saudi and Qatar that the Pentagon hoped could overthrow the Assad government.

Since 1992, Iran and Russia have moved very close together. Russia is the main supplier of Iranian weapons and helped them with their nuclear program. Syria is under roughly equal Russian and Iranian influence. Because both Russia and Iran oppose US involvement in the Middle East, their regional goals are pretty much identical. Although the Iran government is very, very religious, it has a particular left-wing bent that drives them to reject perceived imperialist activity. As Shia Muslims, the Iranian people are also under threat from many Wahhabist terrorist groups, many of them propped up by our friend Saudi Arabia. Just look at the attack yesterday.

Alo0oy

Banned
Middle East is likely going to be getting borders redrawn real soon. I don't see how this pans out any other way. Every country in the area is at each others throats and Russia and the US have too many interests in the mix to let things just play out without getting involved.

So far as I can tell, China is probably the only major player I don't think has any real financial or power relevant reason to get involved, at least directly.

Redrawing borders won't solve anything as long as the core issue is still there: Despots milking the country's resources dry for their own benefit, being supported by foreign superpowers, while the rest of the population get nothing, The Sunni/Shia thing wasn't a factor in Egypt and Tunisia for example.

People keep bringing up the Sunni/Shia conflict as if it's a one shoe fits all situation, when it's mostly a matter of privilege, there is Sunni privilege in Arab nations and Shia privilege in Iran, when the underprivileged revolt, the governments start their propaganda machines to make the privileged class side with them to protect their privilege.

The first step is for the privileged groups to recognize their privilege (Shias in Iran, Syria, and Iraq, and Sunnis in the rest of the Arab nations), which won't happen while state news sound propaganda machines to fuel sectarian tension and get some form of popular support.

The Shia/Sunni conflict is not a religious war, it's an ethnic war, 95% of people aren't religious enough to care, being Sunni or Shia became a socially constructed race over the past few decades, which is why non-religious Shia in SA almost always get treated the same way as the more religious ones. Being born Sunni or Shia is what determines your privilege, not your practice of religion (or lack thereof).

Lebanon's solution works in eliminating privilege, but it's still a short-sighted solution because it divides people into groups, which makes election season a mess.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Which side is Russia on? Logically Iran's, and hence Qatar, but the US and Turkey have bases in Qatar, so who knows.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Which side is Russia on? Logically Iran's, and hence Qatar, but the US and Turkey have bases in Qatar, so who knows.
It is probably prudent for Russia to steer clear. Turkey and Iran can front it.

In any event, I doubt that Russia has much love for Saudi. Aside from the constant pil price bun fights, dont forget that Saudi threatened Putin directly to unleash their terrorists against the Sochi olympics a few years back...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It seems like Turkey is backing Qatar. And Turkey and Russia are quite friendly to each other recently.

US doesn't seem to matter too much besides the twitter rants.

Valhelm

contribute something

Qatar and Iran aren't allies. They're just less virulently opposed to Iranian influence, and have historically cooperated with some of the same actors. Hamas is the most obvious example, although they've recently become much more pro-Qatar and much less pro-Iran.

Yazan

It wasn't fake news though,

The Qatari Emir gave a speech that was hostile to the neighboring countries and his speech remarks were all over Qatari official media including the television.
Then they changed their mind and said they were "hacked".

Btw...Has anyone seen it? Considering the news about Russian hackers behind it?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It wasn't fake news though,

The Qatari Emir gave a speech that was hostile to the neighboring countries and his speech remarks were all over Qatari official media including the television.
Then they changed their mind and said they were "hacked".

I missed this post. How do you know it was on television, have you seen it?

BREAKING: Turkish Parliament has approved legislation allowing troops to be deployed to military base in Qatar - @DailySabah

the_id

Been that way forever, lots of ethnic and tribal lines in the region. Pair that with malicious design of colonial powers and you get an even more fractured nature. Hell the only real time where the ME banded together was to kick Saddam out of Kuwait.
Sad to say, but the last time these guys were truly united was when Muhammad was around.

Top Bottom