• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

Kuwati Emir went to SA to ease tension but failed
DBpvrHNWAAEYLrn.jpg
only a 2 hour meeting

update on the Morocco flights

There is no war related to this, chill dude.

yeah people thinking

a) a war will happen
b) Qatar will abandon the GCC entirely and join close relations with Iran

are likely to be disappointed

Z3K

Trump is going to facilitate a war because he wanted to get praised on a matter he understood nothing about.

Jesus.

Nah it won;t get that far, this is basically a family feud that is being played out in public, although I have to say that Saudi and UAE have planned this trap very well indeed.

Z3K

Kuwati Emir went to SA to ease tension but failed

only a 2 hour meeting

update on the Morocco flights

yeah people thinking

a) a war will happen

are likely to be disappointed

Oooh let's speculate the 10 conditions

1. Close Aljazeera
2. Umm...

He's fucked. $100 billion deal with Saudis just a few days ago who have cut ties with a city that harbors one of our largest military bases in the middle east.

The $100B was already existing deal that Trump just took credit for, just like the Ford and Carrier thing earlier. Saudis allow that to make the $100M gift to Ivanka and thus Trump, more palatable and less suspicious.

In any case, Trump is definitely in Saudis' pocket.

norinrad

Saudi is bombing the Shia rebels, the Yemen government is Sunni and is supported by Saudi.

Thanks For the clarification.

Btw I haven't heard of former president Saleh for a while now, he was once described in the nytimes as the biggest liar on the face of the planet by one of the people in his clan. lol

Oooh let's speculate the 10 conditions

1. Close Aljazeera
2. Umm...
we will likely know what the conditions are in the coming hours

if they basically get the 10 conditions then it will be one step closer to the GCC being just one big single bloc
Thanks For the clarification.

Btw I haven't heard of former president Saleh for a while now, he was once described in the nytimes as the biggest liar on the face of the planet by one of the people in his clan. lol

Saleh and his men/soldiers is currently allied with the Houthis who he use to fight against when in power

1. Immediately break diplomatic relations with Iran.

2. Expel all Hamas members.

3. Freeze bank accounts of Hamas members and stop dealing with them

4. Expel all Muslim Brotherhood members from Qatar.

5. Expel anti-GCC elements.

6. End support of 'terrorist organisations.'

7. Stop interfering in Egyptian affairs.

8. Cease broadcasting the Al Jazeera news channel.

9. Apologise to all Gulf governments for 'abuses' by Al Jazeera.

10. Qatar must pledge that will not carry out any actions that contradict the policies of the GCC and adhere to its charter.

This list is pretty big

especially AJ being abolished

Regginator

I'm not a huge expert on these Middle Eastern affairs, but why would you consider this option B to be unrealistic? I mean, Qatar is literally cut off from every GCC member except for Oman. Why would they want to remain in this union? You'd think a pact like that should mean friendly relations to each other, not cutting off diplomatic ties...

I'm not a huge expert on these Middle Eastern affairs, but why would you consider this option B to be unrealistic? I mean, Qatar is literally cut off from every GCC member except for Oman. Why would they want to remain in this union? You'd think a pact like that should mean friendly relations to each other, not cutting off diplomatic ties...

economically, socially, militarily, etc...relations with Qatar and the GCC are entwined as a family region

even the citizens of each country have family from the other

Iran wouldn't ever be a substitute

rather Qatar has relations with them to even the playing field

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance this could backfire?

Aside from the Janus like Saud discourse on terrorist financing (which looks unlikely to be an issue given Trump looks like he is in their pocket), I wonder how this will impact the region more widely. A number of Gulf countries have diversified into finance, but this is only sustainable if the region can maintain a fiction of stability and financial standards. If this conflict gets deeper (even if just diplomatic) and the veil is lifted just slightly on what goes on financially in the region, does the house of cards start tumbling for all the players?

Damerman

So many precarious relations are going to unravel because of how much of a bitch trump is. This dude is deeep in putin's pocket. Why on earth would you take sides instead of mediating like a real leader? Trump is an invertebrate that is going to ruin this country.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Qatar has no chance to get out of this, they will essentially be taken over. If anything happens to the US base Trump will declare war on them too. They are royally screwed.

Qatar has no chance to get out of this, they will essentially be taken over. If anything happens to the US base Trump will declare war on them too. They are royally screwed.

Their only chance is negotiating with Egypt on the side and somehow getting them to normalize relations in exchange of the Muslim Brotherhood people then accept Turkey's and Russia's help.

All that is a long shot tho, Qatar will end up bowing down to big brother Saudi Arabia.

Marsyas

Banned
Reuters: UAE bans expressions of sympathy toward Qatar: media (link)
The United Arab Emirates has banned people from publishing expressions of sympathy toward Qatar and will punish offenders with a jail term of up to 15 years, the UAE-based newspaper Gulf News and pan-Arab channel Al-Arabiya reported on Wednesday.
"Strict and firm action will be taken against anyone who shows sympathy or any form of bias toward Qatar, or against anyone who objects to the position of the United Arab Emirates, whether it be through the means of social media, or any type of written, visual or verbal form," Gulf News quoted UAE Attorney-General Hamad Saif al-Shamsi as saying.
On top of a possible jail term, offenders would also be hit with a fine of at least 500,000 dirhams, the newspaper said, citing a statement to Arabic-language media.

I'm really starting to think that there is something serious that is hidden in the background that Qatar and the others now but we as the public haven't yet.

God damn the Saudi leadership ! No wonder they want Al Jazeera banned but what a shameful way to do this. Of course, it's also in the interest of the West so they won't do anything to stop that.

Al Jazeera English produce one of the best shows and documentary out there. I hope they will find a solution but i doubt it. GrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

This crossed my mind.
There was an incident that happened in Yemen that resulted in the death of over 40 Emaratis soldiers.
Someone gave a way their location and Qatar was part of the Arabic coalition.

Could this be it?

sturmdogg

The $100B was already existing deal that Trump just took credit for, just like the Ford and Carrier thing earlier. Saudis allow that to make the $100M gift to Ivanka and thus Trump, more palatable and less suspicious.

In any case, Trump is definitely in Saudis' pocket.

Just like every president before him.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If number 8 happens going to be a really bad day at work :(
Coming back to work after a 10 days of to first have the terror attack down the road from my work and now this?

SKINNER!

Banned
Reuters: UAE bans expressions of sympathy toward Qatar: media (link)

"Strict and firm action will be taken against anyone who shows sympathy or any form of bias towards Qatar, or against anyone who objects to the position of the United Arab Emirates, whether it be through the means of social media, or any type of written, visual or verbal form," Gulf News quoted UAE Attorney-General Hamad Saif al-Shamsi as saying.

On top of a possible jail term, offenders could also be hit with a fine of at least 500,000 UAE dirhams, the newspaper said, citing a statement to Arabic-language media."

Welp, guess I'm out of here.

Peace

Yikes. Bye Bye UAE Gaffers. Stay safe!

the_id

Saudi Arabia forces a tiny Muslim country to shut down their news media? This is deja vu....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-arabia-mecca-visa-hajj-economy-a7404616.html

This happened in Nov 2016.

My home country of Brunei is small but KSA managed to force the hand of our Sultan to shut down our independent newspaper because they published negative news about Saudi.

Most people here won't understand this, but Saudi Arabia increased the visa price for pilgrimage to The Holy mosques making it harder for some to do Hajj which is a pillar of Islam.

Saudi Arabia can fuck off.

Saudi Arabia forces a tiny Muslim country to shut down their news media? This is deja vu....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-arabia-mecca-visa-hajj-economy-a7404616.html

My home country of Brunei is small but KSA managed to force the hand of our Sultan to shut down our independent newspaper because they published negative news about Saudi.

Most people here won't understand this, but Saudi Arabia increased the visa price for pilgrimage to The Holy mosques making it harder for some to do Hajj which is a pillar of Islam.

I didn't heard about this. Damn that sucks. They are really the worst.

pa22word

Sorry for the double post but things got even more weird

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/06/politics/russian-hackers-planted-fake-news-qatar-crisis/index.html

They're talking about that News hack a week or so ago

I think getting up in arms over the hack in and of itself as some kind of smoking gun is mostly missing the forest for the trees. SA was just looking for an excuse to do this in light of Trump being Trump over there. The hacked story just gave them a little more gas on top of the timber so they could set ablaze this fire they've been building for years now.

Now if SA and Russia actually colluded on getting the story inserted, that's kind of interesting.

Boss Mog

Qatar has been a known financial supporter of terrorist groups for a while now, glad it is finally being acknowledged.

I still need that 2022 World Cup taken away from them though.

Boss★Moogle;239474359 said:
Qatar has been a known financial supporter of terrorist groups for a while now, glad it is finally being acknowledged.

I still need that 2022 World Cup taken away from them though.

Wow. An actual supporter of the qatar blockade.
Muslim brotherhood is not a terrorist group and it's the main reason AS is going after them.That and Al Jazeera openly criticizing Bahrain and Saudi Arabia crackdown on political opponent.

Hamas have a terrible history of using terrorist methods, but so does FATAH, which is supported by Saudi Arabia. If you think that Saudi Arabia is making this because of terrorist methods used by Hamas you are really deluded. It's all about the ideological ties to Muslim Brotherhood.

Hamas officially cut the ties with the MB early this year to avoid those conflict with Egypt and SA.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Not the only time the Saudis have blatantly interfered in another country's affairs.

Though not as drastic as getting a nation to shut down a news outlet, a few years back the International Islamic University of Islamabad was having an Islamic cultural week and the President of the university invited the Iranian ambassador to take part. The Saudis did not like this and got the president fired and installed their own stooge as president. He's still the president as of this day: http://www.iiu.edu.pk/about-iiu/administration-collaboration/president-office-2/

I hope I get to see the scum SA royals beg for their lives before their citizens hang them like the trash they are before I die. Really the worst group of people on planet earth since the fucking 40s.

Every bomb that we threw at Iraq and Afghanistan should have landed on their golden fucking heads instead.

CrunchyB

Expressions of sympathy are so terrible I guess. Jesus what the fuck kind of law is that?

If you look at the London terrorism thread, there are a lot of people arguing that all ISIS sympathizers should be jailed right away.

Also,

Reuters: UAE bans expressions of sympathy toward Qatar: media

Oh, one of my friends is in the UAE right now.
Working on an arms deal. No joke.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If you look at the London terrorism thread, there are a lot of people arguing that all ISIS sympathizers should be jailed right away.

Also,

Oh, one of my friends is in the UAE right now.
Working on an arms deal. No joke.

I hope you mean prosthetic limbs

Yeah, no shit. Sounds to me like it's a manufactured excuse to fund the fighting in Syria.

Also, how the fuck do you deliver a billion to "rebels" fighting in some desert? You need a truck to move that kind of cash.
I don't know about that sum of money, but I had 2 friends among the people who were kidnapped. They were gone for almost 2 years and came back looking malnourished.

Top Bottom