• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

ASIS

In the meantime...

x3vMIvD.jpg

NoHMYLM.jpg
What does that have to do with the topic?

ASIS

That they should look in the mirror? Why are you caping for them anyway?
Because I'm saudi for one, I know the innards of this community better than a lot of people here wishing death upon us and being nuked. We look at the mirror all the time but what you posted is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
Saudi Arabia is without a doubt the worst thing in the Middle East at this point. Goddammit, they are the biggest obstacle to making the region strong and united.
See what I mean?

Pusherman

It's almost as if it was designed to do so in the first place... ;)

Oh I know it's also in the benefit of others but in the end, I can't blame the West or Israel for supporting a regime that's working for their interests. That's just being smart. It is up to that regime and its people to change. Egypt did it for a little while with Morsi (which SA opposed obviously) and Iran did it with their revolution.

Alo0oy

Banned
Because I'm saudi for one, I know the innards of this community better than a lot of people here wishing death upon us and being nuked. We look at the mirror all the time but what you posted is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
See what I mean?

He's not wrong? I'm from Bahrain, Saudi invaded our country not long ago!

I'd be there with you against anyone wishing death on the country, I know there are a lot of people that like to say "Nuke them", or "Let them fight" callously (there was even one in this thread). But let's not conflate the two issues, Saudi people are cool. The government, however...

ASIS

He's not wrong? I'm from Bahrain, Saudi invaded our country not long ago!

I'd be there with you against anyone wishing death on the country, I know there are a lot of people that like to say "Nuke them", or "Let them fight" callously (there was even one in this thread). But let's not conflate the two issues, Saudi people are cool. The government, however...

The Shia problems are very persistent in the gulf, that is true. I don't also condone what happened during the Arab Spring, but the idea that Saudi Arabia is responsible for breaking up the Arab nations, funding terrorists, and doing god knows what are all absurd. You can make the government to be the villain all you like, but I fail to see how they are in the wrong here. Especially when we don't know all the details.

Turkey to fast track legislation approving troop deployment in Qatar - officials

Turkey's parliament is expected to fast track on Wednesday existing legislation to allow its troops to be deployed to a Turkish military base in Qatar, officials from the ruling AK Party and the nationalist opposition said.

The move appears to support the Gulf Arab country when it faces diplomatic and trade isolation from some of the biggest Middle Eastern powers. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain severed relations with Qatar and closed their airspace to commercial flights on Monday, charging it with financing militant groups.

Qatar vehemently denies the accusations. It is the worst split between powerful Arab states in decades.

(Reporting by Gulsen Solaker; Writing by Humeyra Pamuk; Editing by David Dolan)

got to speed up in this 4D chess

There is unofficial news that members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards are also there.
Granted I know there is an old ongoing agreement between Qatar and Iran for official presence of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.

Turkey is fine but IRG would be disastrous
What's Turkeys reasoning behind this?

Turkey is on the same wavelength with Qatar via some foreign policies like Egypt, MB, etc...

The Shia problems are very persistent in the gulf, that is true. I don't also condone what happened during the Arab Spring, but the idea that Saudi Arabia is responsible for breaking up the Arab nations, funding terrorists, and doing god knows what are all absurd. You can make the government to be the villain all you like, but I fail to see how they are in the wrong here. Especially when we don't know all the details.

The fact that it's illegal to criticize the Saudi government doesn't really show that much confidence tho.

I'm hearing hearsay from people talking about other ex-pats in Dubai and Saudi, who are all making plans to get out in case of Iranian attack. Probably, hopefully bollocks

Alo0oy

Banned

As far as I'm concerned, all GCC regimes are villains, SA get special status because they're the only country in the GCC that:

- Doesn't allow women to drive.
- Force women to wear Hijab.
- Don't allow women to be their own person, they need a guardian for everything.

The rest of the GCC regimes are scum too, but let's not pretend that they're anywhere near as bad as SA, the only one that is close to them is Bahrain because of their treatment of the opposition is similar to SA (extrajudicial killing, torture...etc).

EDIT: Just to add, I'm well aware that there are people that hide their racism towards Arabs behind white feminism and pinkwashing, it's very prevalent even here. But what's going on here isn't that.

Weckum

I'm hearing hearsay from people talking about other ex-pats in Dubai and Saudi, who are all making plans to get out in case of Iranian attack. Probably, hopefully bollocks

Yeah, that's bullshit.

Expats living in Qatar can't get visa on arrival in UAE anymore, by the way.

Also, the shipping thing with the Abu Dhabi port has been solved partially; only ships flying the Qatari flag/registered to Qatar can't land in the port.

While I don't think that will happen I think a lot of them may not go back after their summer holidays. Lots of people leave this area for the horrific summer months, many expats in Qatar will for sure not be back and others working in UAE and Saudi will surely be considering their options.

My wife is working in Dubai since last August and I'll be happy to have her back in two weeks or so, she has already decided not to go back after the summer.

Septic360

Banned
While I don't think that will happen I think a lot of them may not go back after their summer holidays. Lots of people leave this area for the horrific summer months, many expats in Qatar will for sure not be back and others working in UAE and Saudi will surely be considering their options.

My wife is working in Dubai since last August and I'll be happy to have her back in two weeks or so, she has already decided not to go back after the summer.

How come your wife has decided not to go back after the summer?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Iran + Turkey + Qatar vs. the other Gulf countries + Egypt. On top of that ISIS (Wahabi terrorist group funded from dubious sources, including Saudi ones) just had a terrorist attack on Iran. Things are looking pretty hot right now in the area.

On top of everything a dumb US president which mean no American influence to calm things down.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Man, what a continued shit show. Too many countries vying to be top dog, and everyone loses.

I cant see this going hot, but I imagine it is going to have wider economic impact on the region (ie second tgoughts on investment in Dubai and Bahrain among others).

Don't mind the saudis in this thread defending their country and posting propaganda, they literally have no choice.

Any divergence from the state's official story would cost them their life.

Yamauchi

Banned
Huh, maybe I WILL get to die in World War III after all.
Doubtful that would happen.

What is funny about the whole thing is that, as we can see, all the Gulf Arab states are so viciously evil that if there is ever a diplomatic row between them, they can accuse each other of just about anything, and yet anything one country accuses another of doing they are most certainly guilty of doing themselves.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Don't mind the saudis in this thread defending their country and posting propaganda, they literally have no choice.

Who are you talking about? The guy who doesnt like that people wants him to be nuked?

How come your wife has decided not to go back after the summer?

Can't stand the heat, various other small reasons as well, the driving, the consumerism, it doesn't seem like a place we could actually settle since no matter how long you live and work there as soon as your job is over you must leave the country.

Lots of small things mount up when you are living alone, but the stuff happening recently in the area has put her on edge too.

SKINNER!

Banned
What is funny about the whole thing is that, as we can see, all the Gulf Arab states are so viciously evil that if there is ever a diplomatic row between them, they can accuse each other of just about anything, and yet anything one country accuses another of doing they are most certainly guilty of doing themselves.

sig said:
Please disregard me if I'm cheerleading for Putin again.

orly.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What the fuck?!
UAE has no freedom of speech, this isn't that shocking honestly.

It's not really irrelevant. SA lectures Qatar on its so-called support of extremist ideologies terror groups, but they are probably the most guilty of it out of them all.

As far as I'm concerned, all GCC regimes are villains, SA get special status because they're the only country in the GCC that:

- Doesn't allow women to drive.
- Force women to wear Hijab.
- Don't allow women to be their own person, they need a guardian for everything.

The rest of the GCC regimes are scum too, but let's not pretend that they're anywhere near as bad as SA, the only one that is close to them is Bahrain because of their treatment of the opposition is similar to SA (extrajudicial killing, torture...etc).

EDIT: Just to add, I'm well aware that there are people that hide their racism towards Arabs behind white feminism and pinkwashing, it's very prevalent even here. But what's going on here isn't that.
*nods*

Well, they could also not say anything instead of shilling... *shrugs*

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

C'mon man. Dont deny people their agency. Im the first to call out the saudi govt for being wankers, but it doesnt mean you have to shit on the people.

The US (among others) doea a lot of shitty things, and Americans around here get defensive when their nation is criticised, but you wouldnt raise the same charges.

AAK

It is insane how easy it is to turn the Arab nations against one another. It's pretty much been this way for the past 50 years.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It is insane how easy it is to turn the Arab nations against one another. It's pretty much been this way for the past 50 years.

A lot of pride in this region, a lot of strongly held grudges, a lot of refusal to let things go, a lot of love for retribution, a lot of ego and worship of status and power. The wealthy and powerful in the gcc are like angry children with no common sense, and the rest of population here suffers for it.

Been that way forever, lots of ethnic and tribal lines in the region. Pair that with malicious design of colonial powers and you get an even more fractured nature. Hell the only real time where the ME banded together was to kick Saddam out of Kuwait.

Top Bottom