• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and others cutting diplomatic ties to Qatar

I pray for peaceful resolution. I pray for more nations to wake the fuck up and unite under one common goal without hidden agendas. I pray for some serious sanctions that make everyone think twice before they decide to support murderers and ruthless genocidal maniacs.

The world is crumbling from the inside, and we have no one to blame but the powers to be.

we can blame the people responsible and hold them accountable. Clinton was knee deep in this shit yet anytime you pointed that out you were told to go away

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
And you know who's NOT breaking up with Qatar? FIFA. That godforsaken 2022 Winter World Cup where hundreds of slave-immigrants are going to die building those stadiums is still inexplicably planned to go down. Christ!

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/fifa/243...tions-cut-ties-with-world-cup-2022-host-qatar

FIFA issued a short statement on Monday saying it spoke with "the Qatar 2022 Local Organising Committee and the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy handling matters relating to the 2022 FIFA World Cup."

FIFA added: "We have no further comments for the time being."

Qatari football faces no immediate threat from the country's diplomatic crisis, but huge questions will loom for the Gulf state's 2022 World Cup plans if relations do not improve with its neighbours.

There are no Qatari clubs left in the Asian Football Confederation's (AFC) Champions League and Qatar's next qualifier for the 2018 World Cup in Russia is at home against South Korea on June 13. Qatar are currently bottom of their qualifying group, with only South Korea, Syria and China to play. They would need to win all three of those to have any hope of reaching a playoff that may see them play Saudi Arabia or UAE for a place in Russia.

In regards to how Qatar's international relations may impact preparations for the Middle East's first World Cup, the AFC declined to comment.

4Tran

I'm guessing the difference here is terror against Saudi-Arabia? I mean the U.S. is pissed about Russians meddling in our election which is another "pot-kettle-black" situation considering what the U.S. has done in other elections.
Nah, this is part of the Iran-Saudi Arabia Cold War. Hell, a lot of the conflicts in the Middle East are embroiled in that: Syria, Yemen, and so on.

CTLance

Starving the population is such a dick move. Around Ramadan, no less.

Effective, though. Nothing gets your subjects into revolution mode quite like having nothing to chew on.

Is Iran even capable of supplying Quatar over the sea? That's a major undertaking requiring quite a bit of logistics and manpower/machinery.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good, hopefully this is the beginning of the end of OPEC and within a generation or two, state sponsored wahabbism is a thing of the past so the region can finally begin to heal.
Uh... how do you figure?

No seriously, can you explain how this current conflict would lead to what you describe? Much as I'd love to, but as know, the more the ME gets destabilized, the stronger wahabism becomes and groups like ISIS take hold...

He's fucked. $100 billion deal with Saudis just a few days ago who have cut ties with a city that harbors one of our largest military bases in the middle east.
Hahahaha well fuck.

So who are the 'good' guys here, generally speaking?

Qatar? Saudi Arabia? Bahrain?

Like..if we had to root for one who was morally good, who would it be?
None? I mean what is with this notion that there has to be a good guy and a bad guy? How old are you?

Or is it just a muddy grey over there and they're all more or less equally complicit in morale wrong doings?
Ya think

Sorry for the late reply... (was away.)

None of the links you gave me were about post 9/11 Saudi goverment funding of AQ and Deash.

Of course there are reporting about independent donors as well as Saudi Arabia and the promotion of Salafism but the later is another topic entirely about theology and ideology and the former was mostly curbed around 2015-ish and after.
I don't understand where this pre 2000 notion came from. That is outright false, just doing simple research proves it wrong.

Saudi supports Islamic extremism in Germany:
German intelligence talking about KSA support for Salafism which Saudi Arabia is a Salfist country.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7473551.html

Saudi helps to bankroll the Taliban:
Supporting Pakistan's diplomacy in the region which they later criticize Pakistan's diplomacy is pro Taliban (which any country that supports Pakistan is accused of, independent citizens donations.

current actual goverment funding of the Taliban is Pakistan, Iran, and Russia.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/world/asia/saudi-arabia-afghanistan.html

Saudi Arabia is the world's largest source of funds for militant groups:
Clinton saying more needs to be down to curb independent citizen funding
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/05/wikileaks-cables-saudi-terrorist-funding

These are all within this decade fyi. Dunno where you're getting this pre 2003 notion from. Saudi Arabia has directly funded extremist ideology in Pakistan for example and has bred a generation of militants in the country.

Ever heard of Saudi's prince Bandar?
This guy indeed has a tracky record and likely did some stuff pre-911 but he is no longer in office and likely will be immune to trail due to Saudi being a absolute Monarchy/Authoritarian country

Plus how Saudis helped ISIS in Iraq:
Pre-9/11
Former abassador connection for 9/11
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ke-over-the-north-of-the-country-9602312.html

This guy is a blood thirsty piece of shit, was in power as recently as 2 years ago.

Again I agree this guy was in power for as long as King Abduallah was alive,
he left after King Salman came into power.
He needs to be trailed for his actions.

I mean I can also rant about all the shit that happened under King Abdullah's reign but it isn't going to serve me anything when there is a new regime in charge.

Instead I rant about King Salman's reign.

The $1bn hostage deal that enraged Qatar’s Gulf rivals

Doha reportedly paid al-Qaeda affiliate and Iran to win release of royal hunting party
Commanders of militant groups and government officials in the region told the Financial Times that Doha spent the money in a transaction that secured the release of 26 members of a Qatari falconry party in southern Iraq and about 50 militants captured by jihadis in Syria. By their telling, Qatar paid off two of the most frequently blacklisted forces of the Middle East in one fell swoop: an al-Qaeda affiliate fighting in Syria and Iranian security officials.
The Financial Times spoke to people involved on both sides of the hostage swap deal, including two government officials in the region, three Iraqi Shia militia leaders and two Syrian opposition figures.

Around $700m was paid both to Iranian figures and the regional Shia militias they support, according to regional government officials. They added that $200m to $300m went to Islamist groups in Syria, most of that to Tahrir al-Sham, a group with links to al-Qaeda.

Those who spoke to the FT said the deal highlighted how Qatar has allegedly used hostage payments to bankroll jihadis in Syria. But to its Gulf neighbours, the biggest issue is likely to be the fact that Doha could have paid off their main regional rival, Iran, which they accuse of fuelling conflicts in the Arab world.

I don't understand where this pre 2000 notion came from. That is outright false, just doing simple research proves it wrong.

Saudi supports Islamic extremism in Germany:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7473551.html

Saudi helps to bankroll the Taliban:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/world/asia/saudi-arabia-afghanistan.html

Saudi Arabia is the world's largest source of funds for militant groups:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/05/wikileaks-cables-saudi-terrorist-funding

These are all within this decade fyi. Dunno where you're getting this pre 2003 notion from. Saudi Arabia has directly funded extremist ideology in Pakistan for example and has bred a generation of militants in the country.

Ever heard of Saudi's prince Bandar?

Plus how Saudis helped ISIS in Iraq:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ke-over-the-north-of-the-country-9602312.html

This guy is a blood thirsty piece of shit, was in power as recently as 2 years ago.

It has also helped radicalizing muslim youth in France, Belgium, Britain, Sweden, Kosovo, Malaysia, Indonesia and other nations.

To add to your post:

Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism

The Terrorists the Saudis Cultivate in Peaceful Countries

Saudi Arabia, an ISIS That Has Made It

What is Wahhabism? The reactionary branch of Islam from Saudi Arabia said to be 'the main source of global terrorism'

We finally know what Hillary Clinton knew all along – US allies Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding Isis

WikiLeaks cables portray Saudi Arabia as a cash machine for terrorists

Creating Frankenstein: The Saudi Export of Wahhabism

King Abdullah's Saudi regime spends billions of pounds each year promoting Wahhabism, one of fundamentalist Islam's most extreme movements.

The spread of Wahhabism, and the West’s responsibility to the world

The World Reaps What the Saudis Sow

The involvement of Salafism/Wahhabism in the support and supply of arms to rebel groups around the world

Qatar and Saudi Arabia 'have ignited time bomb by funding global spread of radical Islam'

Our Radical Islamic BFF, Saudi Arabia

The Saudi Connection: Wahhabism and Global Jihad

ISIS in Southeast Asia: Internalized Wahhabism is a Major Factor

Wahhabism: A forgotten legacy of the Bosnian war

There's so much more you could pull out with very interesting reads

IA regularly find food supplies and vehicles from Saudi Arabia in areas liberated from ISIS. IA and SAA regularly find books on Islam from Saudi Arabia in areas liberated from ISIS. You have radical Saudi preachers in Syria among rebel groups. Most of the suicide bombers who've targeted Iraqi Shia civilians are Saudi nationals. Want to guess how many Saudi civilians an Iraqi Shia or Yezidi (or simply an Iraqi for that matter) have killed...say the past few decades?

But yeah, just some Saudi individuals right. The government doesn't do anything. While we're at it let's say Islam doesn't even exist. A common excuse the apologists use "But ISIS has attacked Saudi Arabia as well" and yes they have......and 99 % of the time those attacks are against their Shia minority, a detail they leave out. The same minority who've been oppressed and persecuted for decades there, and that's still going on (their very own security forces are shooting and killing them, they killed some civilians a few days ago)

Here's some of the preaching you get to hear in the heart of Mecca.

"O God, destroy the Shia, destroy the communists, destroy the Jews and the Christians. Divide them, disunite them, lessen their strength and bring harm upon them. Oh Allah, aid our brothers the Mujahideen in killing them"

Here's another video of their preachers praying to God to grant their terrorists victory in Yemen, Iraq, Syria and everywhere else over the Shias, Jews and Christians

Not Saudi Arabia, just a few individuals right. Never mind the Muslim minorities who are being called out by the preacher being there; you have hundreds of thousands of Sunni muslims there. That's not saying they are a bunch of braindead sheeps but imagine how many of them ends up being gradually brainwashed with shit like that. Btw it's not that Qatar don't support terrorists, they certainly do but having SA calling them out for that is hilarious.

But then you replied to a Saudi puppet. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on a Saudi payroll considering how passionate he is about them. But then so are much of the Sunni world after having been under Saudi payroll for so long, it's made them become something of a legitimate leader...all while they radicalize their population.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Leaked emails show depth of anti-Qatar campaign News Details : http://m.gulf-times.com/story/552152/Leaked-emails-show-depth-of-anti-Qatar-campaign

Please don't be true.

Not nice Qatar being made a scapegoat. Even worse if Saudi are getting others to hang up on Qatar.

I am losing sense of the plot, I can't follow what's going on anymore. If any of this is true.. woooooow

What would be the end game of those Gulf countries, to particularly discredit Qatar and then have an excuse to isolate it, exactly? Something to do with Iran?

4Tran

I am losing sense of the plot, I can't follow what's going on anymore. If any of this is true.. woooooow

What would be the end game of those Gulf countries, to particularly discredit Qatar and then have an excuse to isolate it, exactly? Something to do with Iran?
It has everything to do with Iran. Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting it out to see who will get to dominate the Middle East. Most of the recent conflicts in the region came about or are heavily exacerbated by this cold war. What we're seeing is Saudi Arabia mobilizing its allies to wreck Qatar in order to remove one of Iran's allies. This power struggle is also why the first country to speak out for Qatar is Iran.

Syder

These countries can turn on each other at the drop of a hat.

"So, who are we going to gang up on today?"

original

It has also helped radicalizing muslim youth in France, Belgium, Britain, Sweden, Kosovo, Malaysia, Indonesia and other nations.

To add to your post:

Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism

The Terrorists the Saudis Cultivate in Peaceful Countries

Saudi Arabia, an ISIS That Has Made It

What is Wahhabism? The reactionary branch of Islam from Saudi Arabia said to be 'the main source of global terrorism'

We finally know what Hillary Clinton knew all along – US allies Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding Isis

WikiLeaks cables portray Saudi Arabia as a cash machine for terrorists

Creating Frankenstein: The Saudi Export of Wahhabism

King Abdullah's Saudi regime spends billions of pounds each year promoting Wahhabism, one of fundamentalist Islam's most extreme movements.

The spread of Wahhabism, and the West’s responsibility to the world

The World Reaps What the Saudis Sow

The involvement of Salafism/Wahhabism in the support and supply of arms to rebel groups around the world

Qatar and Saudi Arabia 'have ignited time bomb by funding global spread of radical Islam'

Our Radical Islamic BFF, Saudi Arabia

The Saudi Connection: Wahhabism and Global Jihad

ISIS in Southeast Asia: Internalized Wahhabism is a Major Factor

Wahhabism: A forgotten legacy of the Bosnian war

There's so much more you could pull out with very interesting reads

IA regularly find food supplies and vehicles from Saudi Arabia in areas liberated from ISIS. IA and SAA regularly find books on Islam from Saudi Arabia in areas liberated from ISIS. You have radical Saudi preachers in Syria among rebel groups. Most of the suicide bombers who've targeted Iraqi Shia civilians are Saudi nationals. Want to guess how many Saudi civilians an Iraqi Shia or Yezidi (or simply an Iraqi for that matter) have killed...say the past few decades?

But yeah, just some Saudi individuals right. The government doesn't do anything. While we're at it let's say Islam doesn't even exist. A common excuse the apologists use "But ISIS has attacked Saudi Arabia as well" and yes they have......and 99 % of the time those attacks are against their Shia minority, a detail they leave out. The same minority who've been oppressed and persecuted for decades there, and that's still going on (their very own security forces are shooting and killing them, they killed some civilians a few days ago)

Here's some of the preaching you get to hear in the heart of Mecca.

"O God, destroy the Shia, destroy the communists, destroy the Jews and the Christians. Divide them, disunite them, lessen their strength and bring harm upon them. Oh Allah, aid our brothers the Mujahideen in killing them"

Here's another video of their preachers praying to God to grant their terrorists victory in Yemen, Iraq, Syria and everywhere else over the Shias, Jews and Christians

Not Saudi Arabia, just a few individuals right. Never mind the Muslim minorities who are being called out by the preacher being there; you have hundreds of thousands of Sunni muslims there. That's not saying they are a bunch of braindead sheeps but imagine how many of them ends up being gradually brainwashed with shit like that. Btw it's not that Qatar don't support terrorists, they certainly do but having SA calling them out for that is hilarious.

But then you replied to a Saudi puppet. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on a Saudi payroll considering how passionate he is about them. But then so are much of the Sunni world after having been under Saudi payroll for so long, it's made them become something of a legitimate leader...all while they radicalize their population.

Imagine if that shit was being preached in the Vatican, the world has really low expectations of the Saudis

Oman is just chilling right now watching this unfold

Oman is Ibadi, they can't risk drawing attention and becoming a target.

Sorry for the late reply... (was away.)

None of the links you gave me were about post 9/11 Saudi goverment funding of AQ and Deash.

Of course there are reporting about independent donors as well as Saudi Arabia and the promotion of Salafism but the later is another topic entirely about theology and ideology and the former was mostly curbed around 2015-ish and after.

I mean I can also rant about all the shit that happened under King Abdullah's reign but it isn't going to serve me anything when there is a new regime in charge.

Instead I rant about King Salman's reign.

See, this is what's wrong. You can't be an apologist for Saudi involvement in funding and weaponizing extremists by blaming it on individuals, while writing off the export of the disgusting wahhabi ideology (which has outright ruined multiple countries around the world now).

Also, nations usually fund controversial/sketchy groups through proxies to retain plausible deniability in case of geopolitical backlash. Saudi is really bad at it (or just doesnt really give a fuck), with people in their own government or the royal family pretty much doing it openly. This isn't something that suddenly changed after Salman came into power. The extremist and bloodthirsty mentality is woven into the Saudi foreign policy, and has been for decades.

How can a country that is supposed to be the epicenter of Islam have preachers running amok openly advocating for death of people around the world, and people who are part of their own religion no less?

I dont know about labeling anyone, but yea agreed to everything else. SA is honestly one of the most dangerous and shit stirring countries in the world, and them having any authority to dictate and project geopolitical power by accusing others of funding extremism is just hilarious. And scary.

I feel gross defending Qatar.

Alo0oy

Banned
There are rumors on social media that anybody that even visits Qatar will have their Bahraini citizenship revoked.

Not sure how accurate those rumors are yet.

I've been paying attention to flightradar (bloody brilliant).

Seems like Qatar are still able to use airspace of majority of the countries that have so called "cut ties" with them since they're apart of some IATA agreement.

Although the the Maldives isn't (which is where my honeymoon is) but I think they've just ended diplomatic arrangements that's all.

cameron

During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!

— Donald J. Trump‏ (@realDonaldTrump) June 6, 2017

this kinda shows how crazy a blockade can be in a globalized world with planes and international shipments.

does that mean the Qatar has to go through Iranian waters to transport their gas as well?
Yeah, no shit. Sounds to me like it's a manufactured excuse to fund the fighting in Syria.

Also, how the fuck do you deliver a billion to "rebels" fighting in some desert? You need a truck to move that kind of cash.

but the money went to Iran and their funded militia?

unless that is what you meant by fighting

During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!

does this guy not know that his biggest US base in the ME is in Qatar

yet he is yacking it up

even the Saudis are being careful not to choose to much bad wordings

it is a delicate situation

norinrad

Hahaha me me me me.

Anyway I don't get Yemen's point of view. First they get bombed to the Stone age by the Saudis and the decide to turn their shit at Qatar?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hahaha me me me me.

Anyway I don't get Yemen's point of view. First they get bombed to the Stone age by the Saudis and the decide to turn their shit at Qatar?

Saudi is bombing the Shia rebels, the Yemen government is Sunni and is supported by Saudi.

Saudi is bombing the Shia rebels, the Yemen government is Sunni and is supported by Saudi.
The Houthis are not even remotely rebels,
They are the Yemeni equivalent of Hezbollah aka a terrorist militia.

Go check the number of Iranian and Lebanese Hezbollah casualties in Yemen.

siddx

The Houthis are not even remotely rebels,
They are the Yemeni equivalent of Hezbollah aka a terrorist militia.

Go check the number of Iranian and Lebanese Hezbollah casualties in Yemen.

Lol calm your tits. The term rebels doesn't automatically make someone the good guys. I should know, I had rebels make our lives hell as a kid.

Nobody in this fuckass conflict are the good guys.

siddx

The good guys are the million+ Yemeni civilians dying or facing mass starvation by the Saudi regime.

The good guys are always the civilians, we are talking about the two military forces. Neither are good guys.

So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!

See, Trump fixed terrorism!

(And of course this has nothing to do with the proxy war between SA and Iran)

reckless

So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!

Seee, Trump fixed terrorism!

(And of course this has nothing to do with the proxy war between SA and Iran)

Lol the Saudis sure as hell knew how to play him, I guess they have a lot of practice though with the whole royal family.

The good guys are always the civilians, we are talking about the two military forces. Neither are good guys.

The South basically are overly happy at the situation since they were forced into a union with the north not so long ago.

Were the north caused a massacre in Aden, stole the South's resources, and propped up Northern war criminals.

Currently the former President (dictator) Saleh is allied with the Houthis in order to gain power by force.

The coalition assumed they could bring back power for Hadi but more then likely now the South will succeed leaving a problem for both Saudi Arabia and Iran as the Saudis will have a hostile militia ruling over a small north that can launch Iranian misses at SA, to which they can't do anything about since the South peaced out. While Iran will basically have a resource-less wasteland that has corrupt terrorist in charge with a former dictator.

Something that makes the Germany split look like candy and ice-cream.

I feel overly sorry for Northern civilians who are basically butchered on the ground by Houthi/Saleh men, while fearing coalition jets in the air.

Top Bottom