• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just did the Ansur the Dragon quest and fight.

Why would they lock such essential backstory for the Emperor behind what is essentially a very easily miss-able side story.

And the quest doesn't even end with a new fuckin' ally.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just beat Gortash.

The fight was an incredible cake-walk once I figured out the shield generators lol.

Let's see how well of a challenge Oren puts up.

calistan

Just beat Gortash.

The fight was an incredible cake-walk once I figured out the shield generators lol.

Let's see how well of a challenge Oren puts up.
She lasted one round against me. Mopping up her minions took a while longer, but she was basically dusted by the time she made her first move. Stealth FTMFW.

adamsapple

What about the loot. The loot is everything.

TBH the loot from the last couple of bosses has been shit. My party is pretty well established right now, I feel like I'm ready to take on the big bad.

The Ansur fight was more difficult than either Gortash or Orin, well I kinda cheated for Orin but you get the idea lol

Mister Wolf

TBH the loot from the last couple of bosses has been shit. My party is pretty well established right now, I feel like I'm ready to take on the big bad.

The Ansur fight was more difficult than either Gortash or Orin, well I kinda cheated for Orin but you get the idea lol

Did you go to the House Of Hope yet?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Got some good shit in there.

Done, will check it out. I think that's the only major NPC quest that's left. Finished all the other relevant ones, including House of Grief. The choice at the end there is probably the toughest one in the game so far.

adamsapple

In the middle of House of Hope right now and I want to say, this quest reminds me of one of the better Dark Brotherhood quests circa Oblivion.

edit: OH GOD WHY IS RAPHAEL DRESSED LIKE LIL NAS X ...

edit 2: ok it's not Raph, it's Haarleep.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I'm doing another playthrough right now and its quite telling how im still having a fantastic time with it despite playing it before.
This time i picked Dark Urge and im having a lot of new content as well, plus i changed the classes and went for Minthara this time around lol. I'd say she definitely has the best romance scene so far.

I'm loving the Hunger of Hadar spell with Silence combo, its a great battlefield control spell, along with the upgraded Eldritch Blast that knock enemies away, i can basically keep them inside the Hadar circle, super CC for Warlocks.
I love how tactical the combat is in BG3.

Last edited:

CashPrizes

Last boss and the encounter before it are right up there difficulty wise, probably on par with
Raphael/Ansur.
I thought I had a really good jump on the final encounter, had the biggest enemy down to 1/4 health and killed another major enemy, but then there are 4 other enemies high up that cast like a super high level magic missle and killed one of my 4 characters right away. Never had that much direct damage dealt that quickly before in any other encounter.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Last week got an urge to start a new playthrough so I did this week-end.

In my first playthrough, I roleplay a lot in a sense I was not doing everything because it was not making sense (and I knew I would burn out if I tried to do "everything"). So I didn't recruit a lot of companion (No Astarion, Karlach, Gayle and others....) and "miss" a lot of areas, quests....
So this time still have a lot of fresh things to discover.
And I am gonna experiment with Multiclass.
My Tav is a Drow sorcerer/bard with a questionable morality. I like the idea of it.

Astarion will be a Rogue assassin / Ranger Gloomstalker. I want him to dual wield, so I wanted to Two Weapons Fighting style. And the subclasses, should allow me some pretty good damage on first turn.

Then I'll recruit Karlach this time and let her full barbarian.

For the moment I have Gayle has fourth but not sure if I'll keep him all the time. I am thinking to switch with Shadowheart as a Cleric/paladin for a tank support.

Anyway, I am really excited again. This game is really sooooo good !

calistan

It was good, yes.

Is that supposed to be the toughest fight in the game? like a secret boss, and I'm gonna be able to merc the final boss pretty easily now?
For me the hardest boss was the second fight with Ketheric. The one at the end of Shadowheart's quest gave me some trouble too, because there were so many enemies to fight.

Raphael wasn't difficult at all, though. The final boss was even easier - I did die on that one because of some disappearing platforms that dropped me into a chasm, but l can't really credit the boss with the kill there. Once I knew what was going to happen I could avoid it without difficulty.

nowhat

The one at the end of Shadowheart's quest gave me some trouble too, because there were so many enemies to fight.
Well, that depends on how much of a dark route you take in act 2... spoilers, obviously.

If you encourage Shadowheart to kill Nightsong (you'll need the spear from the library at the Shar temple for this), she'll become a Dark Justicar (this will end your romance with her, be warned). Then she'll be tasked with taking over the chapter in Baldur's Gate so you'll have to fight some of them, but many will also join Shadowheart in her purge, making the fight much easier.

Last edited:

Doom85

The one at the end of Shadowheart's quest gave me some trouble too, because there were so many enemies to fight.

IIRC staying by the entrance and having Wyll cast Wall of Fire made that fight pretty easy for me. Especially with Shadowheart having Spirit Guardians, so the already hurt enemies from going through fire then proceeded to get hit again with damage. It quickly took care of most of the weaker enemies.

calistan

IIRC staying by the entrance and having Wyll cast Wall of Fire made that fight pretty easy for me. Especially with Shadowheart having Spirit Guardians, so the already hurt enemies from going through fire then proceeded to get hit again with damage. It quickly took care of most of the weaker enemies.
Seems like there's always a way to make any fight very easy. I never used that particular spell even once, but I found plenty of other things that made short work of what might otherwise have been tough enemies.

adamsapple

So, is it not possible to dominate the brain in that cinematic 'fight' ? even with a critical 20.

I wish there was a super secret scene if you do that lol.

Ok, big final arena here we go!

adamsapple

And done.

iU5EnFk.jpg

And before anyone says it,
no I did not have Gale blow himself up, I ended the game the hard way :messenger_grinning_sweat:

1JOf0Be.jpg

79~ hours per the Xbox app (Not gonna use the in-game save file time for reference, cause I know how many times I reloaded lol)

I'm glad the game didn't make me clean the final boss arena, and just ended after the boss itself, cause I left 2 of my party members in the first half of the arena all alone lol

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

And done.

iU5EnFk.jpg

And before anyone says it,
no I did not have Gale blow himself up, I ended the game the hard way :messenger_grinning_sweat:

1JOf0Be.jpg

79~ hours per the Xbox app (Not gonna use the in-game save file time for reference, cause I know how many times I reloaded lol)

I'm glad the game didn't make me clean the final boss arena, and just ended after the boss itself, cause I left 2 of my party members in the first half of the arena all alone lol

Feeling any gaming fatigue after finishing it?

adamsapple

So who the fuck is Withers ?

And what's with that magic mirror in the camp? I don't think I was ever able to use it through the entire game. Is it for multi-player only?

nowhat

So who the fuck is Withers ?
According to those who are into the lore (or looked at the model name in the data, but that's more boring), that would be https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Jergal.
And what's with that magic mirror in the camp? I don't think I was ever able to use it through the entire game. Is it for multi-player only?
You're supposed to be able to change your appearance after the character creator with it. Whether it works or not, dunno, it was a post-launch addition and I am obsessive enough with the character creator so haven't had the need for it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

According to those who are into the lore (or looked at the model name in the data, but that's more boring), that would be https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Jergal.

You're supposed to be able to change your appearance after the character creator with it. Whether it works or not, dunno, it was a post-launch addition and I am obsessive enough with the character creator so haven't had the need for it.

Whenever I would try to interact with the mirror, it never did anything. Looks like it was buggy in my run.

Did you do the epilogue party?

Withers spoiler:

There was also a music guy and my character called them out as a stranger.

I guess there's greater DnD lore things that I am not aware of.

Mister Wolf

Whenever I would try to interact with the mirror, it never did anything. Looks like it was buggy in my run.

There was also a music guy and my character called them out as a stranger.

I guess there's greater DnD lore things that I am not aware of.

This is the channel and playist where I got most of my Forgotten Realms DND lore:

bitbydeath

My main criticism of the game is the levelling system, I maxxed out way too early, there should be way more levels. I understand that may make it easier but all the same I would have earned it.

gtabro

So I stumbled upon this NPC and I cannot find anyone discussing what I'm thinking on the internet, so let me know - did I just find a The Last of Us 2 easter egg/reference? No way I am the first one to think this?

3KNoI2i.png

This NPC:
- has a very strong body for a female and STR = 20
- has blonde-ish hair
- is called "Abby"
- is a human
- holds an axe, that to kill you... swing. Like in a certain sport played with a small ball.
- to mangle - "severely mutilate, disfigure, or damage by cutting, tearing, or crushing". Exactly what Abby did to a certain character in TLOU 2...

I mean... one too many similarities? 🤔

adamsapple

So I stumbled upon this NPC and I cannot find anyone discussing what I'm thinking on the internet, so let me know - did I just find a The Last of Us 2 easter egg/reference? No way I am the first one to think this?

3KNoI2i.png

This NPC:
- has blonde-ish hair
- is called "Abby"
- is a human
- holds an axe, that to kill you... swing. Like in a certain sport played with a small ball.
- to mangle - "severely mutilate, disfigure, or damage by cutting, tearing, or crushing". Exactly what Abby did to a certain character in TLOU 2...

Where did you see this NPC?

I don't recall running into someone like this noteworthy.

But then again, I also saw lots of dead folks on my way and I didn't click on them individually :p

gtabro

Where did you see this NPC?

I don't recall running into someone like this noteworthy.

But then again, I also saw lots of dead folks on my way and I didn't click on them individually :p
So on your way to Orin and Bhaal's Temple there is a spirit that starts summoning NPCs as a trial. The last one, after the stone "bridge" is this NPC.
Funny enough my Tav was first on that bridge and this Abby came to him and in one clean swing sent him down the abyss and my jaw literally dropped. "Yep, same ferocious Abby I remember" I thought equally perplexed and amused.

3KNoI2i.png

This NPC:
- has blonde-ish hair
- is called "Abby"
- is a human

Not the first subtle Larian/BG3 easter egg by a long shot; If you have to question it, it probably was one.

On a side note; (and probably posted before) but this is awesome:

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Ahh FFS patch 6 on PC made most of the textures black, only have ~3 main quests in Act 3 to finish the game, reinstalling(did all the cache cleaning but didn't resolve), mega annoying

Top Bottom