• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The lower city is where all the shit's happening.

8H7u1wh.png

DeVeAn

I’m liking this game WAY more than I thought I would have. But, yeah the dice surprise combat situations just always cause me to save scum.

Got to Act 3 and yeah it can be exhausting. Never thought I would enjoy the game at though so good surprise for me.

How long is act 3?

I just reached it after 72h. I love the game but it’s becoming a little tiring
If you rush the main objective it’s the shortest, if you take your time it’s the longest (there‘s a huge number of new unmarked quests you get from talking to people).

It honestly felt like half the game to me at the end while wrapping up every questline I could on my first run. So it partially depends on how many quests you have hanging from the previous acts, and how many quests you want to bother with.

First run through playtime for me was 78 hours for act 1 and 2 combined, and it was 110 hours for the end of act 3.

I’m honestly kinda surprised they didn’t pull the title card on the intro to the city like: ‘congratulations you passed the tutorial and welcome to the beginning of the game.’

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Ok, I do have a question. I get the warning about progressing the story from two different paths, one from the north of the map where you meet the orc folk with a dragon, and the other down in the Grymforge. Does it matter which I choose?

nowhat

Ok, I do have a question. I get the warning about progressing the story from two different paths, one from the north of the map where you meet the orc folk with a dragon, and the other down in the Grymforge. Does it matter which I choose?
Orc folk? You mean the Githyanki, right?

But it doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of things. You'll end up at the same map, albeit in a different starting position.

Do both, you can go back to either if you don’t progress too far in act 2 ; But I’d suggest mountain pass first assuming you have Lae’zel alive and well and you‘ve already cleared the underdark.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

No it doesn't matter but I would recommend taking the Underdark path. The path you choose will decide who you encounter first.

No it doesn't matter but I would recommend taking the Underdark path. The path you choose will decide who you encounter first.
If he’s cleared the underdark already and gotten to the elevator, it’s probably better to do the mountain path first, then just run back and do the other from the elevator.

Last edited:

Filben

it's ok but the pacing and combat are way too slow for my personal liking.
I liked Pillars of Eternity (part one and two). Combat is much faster but less creative due to the lack of environmental interactivity; combat is, under the hood, although a bit more complex because there's not only hit or miss, but offers also light hits, and armor has more functions than making you harder to hit (some weapons or damage types have lower base damage but are good in penetrating armor). It's also not as huge as BG3 and is probably not a year's project.

JayK47

This game. So many great things. So many annoying things. So many cringe things.

Great things:
The story. I am almost at the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next.
Combat. Brutal. Just brutal. So very satisfying. I wish there was more.
The cast of interesting characters. Very unique diverse crowd that chills out at my camp.
The gear. I love the weapons and armor. There is so much variety.

Annoying things:
Inventory management. I spend way too much time messing around in my inventory. I really really wish when I throw shit in camp inventory that I do not need to take out and and have it in my inventory in order to equip it.
Loading. Loading takes a long ass time.
Steam cloud. Not sure what the deal is, but it takes like 10 minutes to upload saves to cloud. Must be massive save files.
Me never saving enough.

Cringe things:
The developers are more obsessed with lesbians than I was as a young man. Damn. So many lesbians. I just laugh now when I come across yet another lesbian couple.

Last edited:

adamsapple

be careful, at some point Halsin will say he will leave the camp if you travel back

I'm already in Act 3 and I haven't seen him around camp for a while. I don't know what happened, I'm not sure if he's supposed to join your party but he never did, I only had the same 2 dialogue options for him through act 1 and 2 ever since getting him, and now he's just not in camp anymore as of Act 3.

Ah well.

I'm already in Act 3 and I haven't seen him around camp for a while. I don't know what happened, I'm not sure if he's supposed to join your party but he never did, I only had the same 2 dialogue options for him through act 1 and 2 ever since getting him, and now he's just not in camp anymore as of Act 3.

Ah well.
To be honest, aside from an orgy, I don't think he has any interesting interactions in Act 3. I never used him.

To obtain him, you need to find that ghost kid and talk to Halsin before fighting Nightsong. You will get big battle to defend a portal

adamsapple

To be honest, aside from an orgy, I don't think he has any interesting interactions in Act 3. I never used him.

To obtain him, you need to find that ghost kid and talk to Halsin before fighting Nightsong. You will get big battle to defend a portal

If you're talking about the ghost kid quest that starts off as a hide and seek mission, then yeah I did that successfully. I don't recall if I went to the camp quickly after that or something, it's way too many hours behind, but the opportunity to recruit him never really came up in all of my conversations with him.

I'm pretty steadfast on my main 4 party squad right now anyway so I doubt I would have made room to slot him in.

bitbydeath

I’m in act 3, tempted to play again and just kill everything that moves. Shame there’s only 12 levels, I could double or triple my levels if I wiped everyone out.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I may take a break before proceeding to Act 2. Split the game up some. Jump back into Starfield, play some more Quest 3. My prescription lenses arrive on Thursday!!!!

adamsapple

It *feels* like I'm in the thick of the end-game quests, fights have definitely gotten much more tougher.

Just did a couple of quests
destroyed the watcher robot facility, saved the duke and some of the gnomes from the underwater prison

CashPrizes

Playing the game a 2nd time on Tactician. Durge Sorc, wiped out the Grove so now I only have Laeel+Shart+Astarion. Having a lot more fun with Astarion in the early game understanding stealth better, just toggle hide and get sneak ranged sneak attacks non-stop.

Actually having an easier time then my normal difficulty play thru Just knowing the encounters, how best to initiate them. Beat the burrowing ant eater thing in Under dark in 1 turn, beat the Observer in 2 turns even tho it ambushed me because i set off a proximity explosion near it by accident.

Could be a factor of I am less reluctant to long rest, so am much more willing to commit all my spell slots and cool downs on any given encounter. Also I am not hoarding potions and scrolls like I was on normal (altho not a ton of useful scrolls in act 1 so far). Only fight that I died on was the Gityanki at the bridge once, just missed a ton of my initial rolls and they were all still up and focus fired/killed Shart before 2nd turn.

Top Bottom