• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Am I able to customize my party’s looks at all, like their hair? Shadowhearts bowl-cut bangs are annoying me. Like I’m to believe my dude would want to hook up with a chick with hair like that?
He better. Unless you have a thing for nagging grannys, harsh space orcs, or literal devils with horns and tails and everything, there's like, one human woman in the party your character can have relations with...and she's crazy

Mister Wolf

Am I able to customize my party’s looks at all, like their hair? Shadowhearts bowl-cut bangs are annoying me. Like I’m to believe my dude would want to hook up with a chick with hair like that?

You should have got with Karlach like any sensible man would have done.

Doom85

He better. Unless you have a thing for nagging grannys, harsh space orcs, or literal devils with horns and tails and everything, there's like, one human woman in the party your character can have relations with...and she's crazy

I mean, Shadowheart’s half elf, so really she’s half-human. Although Jaheira is half-elf too for that matter.

Regardless, any MC worth their salt who is looking for a girlfriend should find something they like unless their tastes are so vanilla it would make even Ned Flanders go, “bruh, live it up a little!”

Shadowheart - hot goth girl with a sassy attitude
Lae’zel - frequently DTF and a total tsundere
Karlach - upbeat and muscular and really craving some affection
Jaheira - GILF with a sexy accent

If one can’t find something worth hopping into with that selection, then I’ll contact Larian and let them know they need to add a “boring basic bitches” option into their game. :pie_winking:

Mister Wolf

I mean, Shadowheart’s half elf, so really she’s half-human. Although Jaheira is half-elf too for that matter.

Regardless, any MC worth their salt who is looking for a girlfriend should find something they like unless their tastes are so vanilla it would make even Ned Flanders go, “bruh, live it up a little!”

If one can’t find something worth hopping into with that selection, then I’ll contact Larian and let them know they need to add a “boring basic bitches” option into their game. :pie_winking:

You forgot Minthara.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Being half-elf is fine. I'm not some kind of evil segregationist like wizards of the coast. But she is psycho

You mean their tastes are so vanilla they don't long to bone things that aren't human. Enjoy the furry convention, don't send pics

Doom85

You mean their tastes are so vanilla they don't long to bone things that aren't human.

AKA “if she doesn’t look like she could be mistaken for my sister, I’m not interested.”

Honestly, when that got pointed out to me, I never noticed that about other couples prior, and man, it’s a lot more couples who fit that bill then I realized. Now I don’t think (almost) any of these people are being weird about it, but I will at least give them all a Dwayne Johnson eyebrow raise.

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

Fantasy interracial romance > vibes of incest

50 cent laughing GIF

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I’m save scumming like crazy in this game. I’d feel shame but the time it takes to reload a save (on a ps5) is an appropriate enough punishment.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm so fucking glad that killing the guards in the moontower's basement to save the prisoners doesn't aggro the entire tower, that would have sucked pretty bad.

adamsapple

I had to take out
Balthazar
in Shar's Gauntlet, no way he wouldn't have come back again as a proper boss lol. Not risking it.

adamsapple

Argh. I broke my golden 'no full price' rule and I'm not enjoying the combat...

Any tips for getting the hang of it?

Stick to it, the combat is very boring and slow lol, especially at the start when you barely have skills.

Once you reach level 5 or so, and have a lot more skills at your disposal, it becomes more manageable.

edit: A THIRTY DICE ROLL .

Fuck off, game.

Kevin Hart No GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

Last edited:

gtabro

Argh. I broke my golden 'no full price' rule and I'm not enjoying the combat...

Any tips for getting the hang of it?
Save before the first few encounters and try all kinds of wacky moves and combinations. That helped me click and showed how many possibilities and synergies there really are.

Also, as a Souls fan having played all games solo and all bosses and loving that combat there, I never found the combat here boring.

Last edited:

calistan

I cheesed that fight by having Karlach pushing him out of a cliff 😅
I snuck up on him, hid three of my party, then aggro'd him from a distance before letting everybody pile in. He got completely mauled before he could summon even a single undead companion - that was basically my tactic for every boss from then on, and it worked a treat.

Stick to it, the combat is very boring and slow lol, especially at the start when you barely have skills.

Once you reach level 5 or so, and have a lot more skills at your disposal, it becomes more manageable.

edit: A THIRTY DICE ROLL .

Fuck off, game.

Kevin Hart No GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud's Laugh Out Loud
I think/hope that's it - my party is completely underpowered...

I'll give it a proper go again this weekend. I'm struggling to identify who's on my side for some reason in the bigger battles. I've played a lot of turn based before, and never had this much difficulty. I'm literally at the first main fight - I think they made a mistake throwing you in at the deep end there...

I kind of like the dice rolling parts though... The Souls comparison in another reply has me concerned - I would rather remove my own fingernails with rusty pliers than play those games...

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I’m learning that this kind of RPG just isn’t for me. I think at this point in my gaming life, I want a more streamlined experience. My character swipes his sword into an enemy, and it does damage, no missing. I don’t need all these options for each class.

I think I want a game with Elden Ring’s combat, with Baldur’s Gate’s story and character development (relationships) options.

I think I would have preferred playing this type of game in my younger years.

adamsapple

Holy shit, Psionic Backlash is fucking OP.

edit: Finished Act 2.

Managed to get Ketheric to off-himself, Illusive Man style. I'm guessing that saved me one leg of the boss lol.

Need to take a break and play something else before starting Ac3 3 lol

Last edited:

amigastar

Not even close and it doesn't get really good until the later levels.
Ok, i thought so. Too bad.
Edit: in a video interview Swen Vincke says he wanted to make an Triple A turn based game which reaches to new players also. He tells that many people are like "I didn't know i like this"

Last edited:

Filben

I've a question someone could help me with maybe. Usually I play melee, simple and straightforward type of characters in RPGs that hit good and hard. But here I have also Gale and Shadowheart in my party with many spells. My question is how am I supposed to decide which type of damage (acid, poison, fire, etc.) to use? Usually I examine any enemy and look for resistances, if there's none I look at their stats and, let's say if they have low wisdom, I tend to choose a spell that has a wisdom (defense?) check. I don't know why but I just think it's important. But it seems hit chance is unaffected which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

But even If I'm to ignore that, what's the best way to decide wether to put poison or burning on an enemy? Most of my spells do the same base damage and DoT damage (like 1-6 poison damage or 1-6 burning damage over time). It seems to me that it's often irrelevant but are there instances – given an enemy has no resistance against said damage – to choose one over another? Why would I should acid damage over burning, for instance?

I never really played a D&D game (except for PS:T but there I gave a damn about fights, just sent all party members on the weakest enemy and hoped for the best and played the game for its story only). So I don't know much about it except for the most basic things (like dice against armour class).

calistan

I've a question someone could help me with maybe. Usually I play melee, simple and straightforward type of characters in RPGs that hit good and hard. But here I have also Gale and Shadowheart in my party with many spells. My question is how am I supposed to decide which type of damage (acid, poison, fire, etc.) to use? Usually I examine any enemy and look for resistances, if there's none I look at their stats and, let's say if they have low wisdom, I tend to choose a spell that has a wisdom (defense?) check. I don't know why but I just think it's important. But it seems hit chance is unaffected which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

But even If I'm to ignore that, what's the best way to decide wether to put poison or burning on an enemy? Most of my spells do the same base damage and DoT damage (like 1-6 poison damage or 1-6 burning damage over time). It seems to me that it's often irrelevant but are there instances – given an enemy has no resistance against said damage – to choose one over another? Why would I should acid damage over burning, for instance?

I never really played a D&D game (except for PS:T but there I gave a damn about fights, just sent all party members on the weakest enemy and hoped for the best and played the game for its story only). So I don't know much about it except for the most basic things (like dice against armour class).
Damage is damage, as far as I'm aware. I guess you might want to consider whether one of the enemies is skilled at removing acid but can't cure poison, or whether there's something in the environment that might be set off by a burning enemy.

Flabagast

Don't overthink things. Unless in particular cases which elemental damage you choose is not really important, particularly once you are pretty deep in Act 1

Flabagast

I think I’m learning that this kind of RPG just isn’t for me. I think at this point in my gaming life, I want a more streamlined experience. My character swipes his sword into an enemy, and it does damage, no missing. I don’t need all these options for each class.

I think I want a game with Elden Ring’s combat, with Baldur’s Gate’s story and character development (relationships) options.

I think I would have preferred playing this type of game in my younger years.
What you want seems to be kind of the pitch of the next Dragon Age.

Whether it will be good is an entirely different story though

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What you want seems to be kind of the pitch of the next Dragon Age.

Whether it will be good is an entirely different story though
I liked the Dragon Age games. And I had a good session last night with BG3. Maybe I just needed to get over this slow hump in Act 1.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m a firm believer that a melee swing should never miss. Now if you told me the enemy had a chance to block with a shield or big weapon, then I might be on board more. I get that a spell or arrow could miss from a distance.

Doom85

I’m a firm believer that a melee swing should never miss. Now if you told me the enemy had a chance to block with a shield or big weapon, then I might be on board more. I get that a spell or arrow could miss from a distance.

In a game of D&D, a DM will usually describe a player rolling a miss as a variety of things: the enemy dodged or ducked, the enemy blocked your attack, your weapon failed to find a vulnerable part of the enemy’s armor or a body that is particularly tough, etc. A natural 1 will sometimes have the DM add on to the flavor, like you nearly lost your footing and almost fell over, you got too cocky and made a pathetically poor attempt of a swing of your weapon, etc.

But that‘s the tabletop with a human DM capable of such varied descriptions. For video game purposes, it makes sense that they’ll just refer to it as a “miss”.

Granted, I’m not sure why you do have the mindset that a melee hit should never miss. I don’t think there’s too many enemies in Baldur’s Gate 3 who are so stupid that they see someone coming at them with a weapon and are incapable of considering the possibility that avoiding the impact of said weapon might be a good idea.

If anything, melee attacks ALWAYS hitting sounds more ridiculous when looking at it from a realistic perspective. Like, take Pokémon. Venusaur is a big creature and clearly in terms of moving its own body (outside of its vines using attacks like Vine Whip) it will be slow as fuck, but put it against a Jolteon which is one of the fastest in Gen 1 gameplay wise and clearly looks like it can move fast too. Yet if Venusaur uses Tackle or Bite, it ALWAYS hits said Jolteon as long as Venusaur isn’t confused or been hit by Sand Attack. How the hell does that make any sense?!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just had another great session with the game. I was reloading too much when I was under level 5, and shit just kept missing and enemies kept criticaling me.

Once I hit level 5, fights got better. I don’t feel like I’ve had to reload a fight in a while now. A “miss” here and there isn’t as bad as it was with levels 1-4.

nowhat

I just finished a "The Dark Urge" run. I don't usually play a totally evil character, but if there's a backstory, why not.

If you go all in on the evil, there's so much for you to discover. Like, seriously, this should be mandatory. Heil Bhaal

adamsapple

Is this your first time playing a cRPG? Do you plan on playing more now?

First time putting this much time in one of these games, dabbled a bit in the Divinity games before but never to this extent.

I think this is a one-in-a-year kind of thing lol, it's ok but the pacing and combat are way too slow for my personal liking.

JCK75

So friggin pissed.. finally, after trying and trying and trying, I finally beat the game and honor mode.... And no achievement...

geary

First time putting this much time in one of these games, dabbled a bit in the Divinity games before but never to this extent.

I think this is a one-in-a-year kind of thing lol, it's ok but the pacing and combat are way too slow for my personal liking.
You should try one with Real Time with Pause to see if the pace is more for your likeing. Unfortunately, there’s no game with the production value of BG3, but can try P:WotR

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Is it me, or is this game dark on tv’s? Like, the game on my tv and the game on my phone (via remote play) look way different. This is the only game where this se ms so noticeable.

adamsapple

Is it me, or is this game dark on tv’s? Like, the game on my tv and the game on my phone (via remote play) look way different. This is the only game where this se ms so noticeable.

I wouldn't say it's unusually dark, but I've had to bust out the torch in dungeons every now and then. Maybe it's designed that way.

--

Act 3:

Everyone I'm talking to is fuckin' Orin in disguise lol. I like this asshole-ish bit.

Top Bottom