• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbie | Review Thread

pel1300

Chris Stuckmann is such a Hollywood shill.

Sounds like this is gonna be another Last Jedi situation.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gosling is great and actually a pretty decent guy IRL.
But there's also ferrel, who I detest.

Yeah there was no way in hell this could have reviewed badly.

I liked him when he was young hercules:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Like I'm sure most men who don't have young girls, I'm probably not gonna see this until I have to.
IS this a film for young girls though? It's PG-13 so even though my daughter is excited to see it, I don't think it's really for her (she is in elementary school) as from what I've seen, it trends towards a teen/frustrated woman demo.

I am excited for the JEM/GI Joe crossover next year though for that perfect storm of parent nostalgia :p

I'm watching this and I'm a guy. Lots of girls watch Star Wars too you know...interesting seeing grown people effectively doing a boys vs girls debate lmao. I also like Taylor Swift

Last edited:

StueyDuck

IS this a film for young girls though? It's PG-13 so even though my daughter is excited to see it, I don't think it's really for her (she is in elementary school) as from what I've seen, it trends towards a teen/frustrated woman demo.

I am excited for the JEM/GI Joe crossover next year though for that perfect storm of parent nostalgia :p
I mean that shows how little I care for that movie haha cause I only considered it as a movie you'd take your young daughter to.

BlackTron

I'm watching this and I'm a guy. Lots of girls watch Star Wars too you know...interesting seeing grown people effectively doing a boys vs girls debate lmao. I also like Taylor Swift

Haven't you heard? Star Wars is for girls now. Barbie is actually the boys show now, at least Ken is in it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
This is a definite skip. The teaser made it seem like it would be a fun movie with the 2001 omage, and not casting Amy Schumer as Barbie. But, after watching reviews and seeing this is a feminist's wet dream, no thanks. Then, again, why should I expect anything different from modern Hollywood.

BlackTron

You sound like someone who wore a pink shirt in the 2000s while proclaiming "I'm secure in my manhood"
Thank you for reminding me. I have to rewatch the Simpsons episode where Homer washes his shirt with a red hat and it turns pink. I don't think I've seen it since around the time it originally aired I guess 20 years ago...it made a lasting impression.

He's gone soft on them ever since he got involved with filmmaking.

His early videos tore apart movies.
Yea, I tuned out of his videos after that announcement. I get where he is coming from but it's hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they admit they don't want to be too critical of film anymore.

Toons

He's gone soft on them ever since he got involved with filmmaking.

His early videos tore apart movies.

Im not a big fan of stuckman at all but this really isn't the argument you think it is..

That his approach to analyzing film changed when he actually came to experience the filmmaking process and gain a better understand of it is actually a good thing. What critics look for in a movie vs casuals is usually very very different.

He also is probably less eager to personally attack people or go beyond constructive criticism, which as a professional, he should be doing. Its why I respect his content far more than guys like TCD, even if I'm not particularly a fan of his.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
She was. I made a post about it on the Prey topic.
the-office-steve-carell.gif

FeralEcho

The critic who agrees with the critical consensus. I’ve said it before - this guy is the definition of being the average critic.
I stopped watching him after seeing how much of a stan he is for the new Star wars films. Can't stand his face anymore. Chris Cuckman should be his name,no wonder he likes the Barbie movie.

I have an aquaitance who's a major film critic. In his review he noted that, as expected with that director who's a fringe feminist, the movie is extremely feminist and extremely political and anti-male. Note that he said it as a good thing.
I used to consider myself a feminist for several years in my youth, until one day I realized two things and walked away:

1) Making generalizations about men is not the right way to advocate for gender equality, and there's far too much of that in feminism. As a side note, I don't feel that fact shouldn't be use to generalize anyone who calls themselves a feminist either.

2) I don't need to apply any label to myself to advocate for gender equality. Not feminist, not progressive, not even egalitarian.

I cannot fucking wait to see this. I now understand, that no female lead film, will get the grace of Youtube grifters. They asked for years for an action horror movie, with a capable woman character that would actually learn how the defeat the threat, instead of being a Mary Sue. A character like Ripley in Alien or Sarah Connor in T2. Then came out Prey. Naru was no Mary Sue.

"Grifter" is a bad faith argument, although the same is true for "shill."

She starts out weak and without much skill. But she grows and learn. She gets captured twice by two different groups. She gets beat up and tortured. She sees things about the Predator and learns from it. Including it's cloaking, how it's laser sights work. She stands no chance against the Predator just like Arnie didn't in the original. She overcomes by being clever, combining all she learned into forming a plan to overcome an unstoppable threat.

Yep, I thought it was a great example of a movie doing everything right, and almost a response to years of female protagonist criticism. I think a lot of people on this website said as much as well.

I think only The Critical Drinker who heavily criticized the film before even seeing it, gave it it's deserved props. He overcame his own biases, and gave the film a review that was pretty glowing which I honestly appreciated coming from him. Everyone else shat on it (not the critics or audiences, just the manosphere people) despite giving them all they apparently wanted from a female lead.

Yeah, respect to the critical drinker for that, but I'm not sure how many others didn't do the same. You say "everyone else" but how many actually well-known channels really did? I don't know of all that many "manosphere" channels to begin with. I looked at The Quartering, which I think is one of the more famous ones, and he didn't even seem to have a video on the subject. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the largest "anti-woke" entertainment channels and what they thought of Prey after seeing it. I'd hope at least several of them weren't hypocrites about it, after a movie basically gave them everything they've been wanting in a female protagonist. I think a lot of people felt Alita Battle Angel did a good job with that as well.

Ulysses 31

The CHARACTER in Prey was mostly fine, it was the ACTRESS that lacked the physicality for the role.
That and the survivors didn't really seem to care that all the male hunters were dead at the end or that the Predator seemed new to hunting and didn't know its own equipment well. :messenger_winking_tongue:

She starts out weak and without much skill. But she grows and learn. She gets captured twice by two different groups. She gets beat up and tortured. She sees things about the Predator and learns from it. Including it's cloaking, how it's laser sights work. She stands no chance against the Predator just like Arnie didn't in the original. She overcomes by being clever, combining all she learned into forming a plan to overcome an unstoppable threat.
Bullshit. She was already a great healer and hunter at the start of the movie - only held down by the patriarchy. She defeats the leopard that her brother couldn’t. Beats up 3 man singlehandedly. In the end, she ends up being hailed as the best hunter and becomes leader of her tribe. Not a Mary Sue lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Bullshit. She was already a great healer and hunter at the start of the movie - only held down by the patriarchy. She defeats the leopard that her brother couldn’t. Beats up 3 man singlehandedly. In the end, she ends up being hailed as the best hunter and becomes leader of her tribe. Not a Mary Sue lol
She doesn't. She fucks up and her brother saves her. Also it's a cougar not a leopard.

Also she's not a hunter. Not because she is a woman but because she hasn't proven capable yet. And she doesn't beat up three men. She kills them, with a weapon after tracking them down.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Here in my country the slogan for this movie is:

"Barbie is everything!

And Ken is just Ken."

They could fish people with a better slogan. Also I think it had a backlash from parents here because they saw the main character breaking a Barbie toy and they don't wanna see their girls doing so.

BlackTron

Here in my country the slogan for this movie is:

"Barbie is everything!

And Ken is just Ken."

They could fish people with a better slogan. Also I think it had a backlash from parents here because they saw the main character breaking a Barbie toy and they don't wanna see their girls doing so.

This sounds badly conceived for a movie based off a toy brand for little girls.

YCoCg

This is a dumb movie, and that's not a bad thing, the thing I find crazy is that people think Barbie needs to make some political statement or is feminist propaganda, etc. It's just a dumb fun movie.

Fake

This sounds badly conceived for a movie based off a toy brand for little girls.

Some trailers got banned in Brazil because there is a scene when someone destroy barbie doll by removing her head? IDK why they think this was a good ideia, but in Brazil the dolls are still very popular (the frozen princess is by far the most popular princess yet here) so parents ask for the trailer ban and got approved.

BTW, there are some places here where the movie will be like 1 dolar or less(5 reais) via a brazillian phatnership program.

She doesn't. She fucks up and her brother saves her. Also it's a cougar not a leopard.

Also she's not a hunter. Not because she is a woman but because she hasn't proven capable yet. And she doesn't beat up three men. She kills them, with a weapon after tracking them down.
But her brother later tells her that the only reason he was able to kill the cougar is because she weakened or whatever AND that she was always a better hunter than him. Classic case of Mary Sue where everyone recognises her skills.

And she is a hunter - she wants to go on the hunter, she’s introduced as being skilful with a tomahawk and invents a GoW-like weapon with the rope.

And yes, she does beat up the 3 guys after tracking them down - she fights them 3 on 1.

Edit: And for info, Critical Drinker liked the movie - god knows why.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
But her brother later tells her that the only reason he was able to kill the cougar is because she weakened or whatever AND that she was always a better hunter than him. Classic case of Mary Sue where everyone recognises her skills.

And she is a hunter - she wants to go on the hunter, she’s introduced as being skilful with a tomahawk and invents a GoW-like weapon with the rope.

And yes, she does beat up the 3 guys after tracking them down - she fights them 3 on 1.

Edit: And for info, Critical Drinker liked the movie - god knows why.
I'm done with you. If the hero was the brother you would have no complaints. This is GTA San Andreas reveal on this fucking forum level. "How can I relate?"

Last edited:
I'm done with you. If the hero was the brother you would have no complaints. This is GTA San Andreas reveal on this fucking forum level. "How can I relate?"
It would make a bit more sense that a 6ft2 trained warrior beats up 3 men than a 5ft5 petite woman so the movie would be marginally better. But the setting still wouldn’t make sense. The way she understood how the laser from the visor worked to kill the predator is stupid no matter what gender the main character is.

Elysion

Banned
So apparently in the movie, after Ken travels to the real world and sees how men are in charge of everything (lol), he then
goes back to Barbie world and teams up with the other men there to overthrow their female-led society and introduce patriarchy.
Sounds pretty based tbh.

This might turn out to be one of those movies where the intended political message is inadvertently undermined by either the plot or the characters, and people can’t help but cheer for the villain due to his sheer awesomeness.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
So apparently in the movie, after Ken travels to the real world and sees how men are in charge of everything (lol), he then
goes back to Barbie world and teams up with the other men there to overthrow their female-led society and introduce patriarchy.
Sounds pretty based tbh.

This might turn out to be one of those movies where the intended political message is inadvertently undermined by either the plot or the characters, and people can’t help but cheer for the villain due to his sheer awesomeness.
No
Fucking
Way.

Damn, it would be glorious if that was the plot.

Even better if he rallied some gi Joe's (based on the OG 12" ones) to help.

iorek21

Saw it today, I have mixed feelings.

It's a very well made film, and it is very funny when it wants to be, but the actual message in it...
Every male is portrayed as a douche or as a beta, no in-between. This felt so anti-male that Ken's revolution is kind of relatable.

The "feminism" in the film is the Twitter kind, not deep or anything, just "muh patriarchy".

GymWolf

Sounds pretty based tbh.

Jesus fucking christ, people really get payed to write this stuff uh?

Top Bottom