• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I 3 Starred a few more of the AR challenges last night so I could unlock the 15pt "get 46 Stars" achievement (I'm at 999,985 Gamerscore and wanted that sweet sweet 100K) and despite showing my high scores on the AR select from the main menu, the leaderboards wouldn't update. As such my achievement didn't unlock as it says I have a total of 44stars when I should actually be on 53.

Bummed me out a bit.

Hoping it unlocks tonight.

JaseMath

This game is A-MAZING.

I have a little one at home so I'm playing mostly at nights. I'm at the part where
Scarecrow just covered the city in gas and I'm going to the Cloudburst to save the city.
How many hours (aprrox.) do I have left? Thinking of playing tonight and going to bed when I finish.

Also,
I've been calling Jason Todd as Arkham Knight for months.
Glad to see I'm most likely right.

JaseMath

This game is A-MAZING.

I have a little one at home so I'm playing mostly at nights. I'm at the part where
Scarecrow just covered the city in gas and I'm going to the Cloudburst to save the city.
How many hours (aprrox.) do I have left? Thinking of playing tonight and going to bed when I finish the main story.

Also,
I've been calling Jason Todd as Arkham Knight for months.
Glad to see I'm most likely right.

...anyone?

Finally completed all that I can without having to spend any extra money. I really want the DLC... but £32 for the season pass is a bit steep so far.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though, and because only a few of my friends have played it I'm sitting pretty at the top of my friends leaderboard with 200%story, 200% MW and 69/69 stars (plus 63 Rival Points).

It's good to be the king (for a while). now the long wait for the Season Pass to go on sale :(

How on earth do you battle those enemies that have a lightning / shock effect on them? I know you should take out the guys that give them that effect but there has to be a way to fight them after? Did I just completely miss a tutorial or whatever on how to do so?

cormack12

Gold Member
How on earth do you battle those enemies that have a lightning / shock effect on them? I know you should take out the guys that give them that effect but there has to be a way to fight them after? Did I just completely miss a tutorial or whatever on how to do so?

Shoot them with the disruptor. It overloads them, leaving them vulnerable iirc

Batclaw removes the electricity. on the normal guys, disruptor temporarily removes it from the bigguns.

ZeroX03

Banned
With the Oct and Nov updates and that blessed Nolan skin, seems I might as well just not play the game until the Season Pass is over. Might as well go through the remaining content at it's best.

strafer

Xv5my5o.png

jett

D-Member
Finally played and finished this thing (have not done all the side missions).

I actually pre-ordered this game, but it was the PC version, so yeaaa... The last patch made it just about barely playable, so I was like fuck it, and powered through. Unfortunately I still suffered from plenty of stuttering but the game never broke down into total unplayability so I was like whatever, but it definitely colored and worsened the experience.

This is a fun game at times, but it's a problematic game, and it often comes down to the tankmobile. It's not inherently awful, but the issue resides on the fact that everything is designed around it. When you're on foot the streets feel stupid-wide, everything is huge, running down a street as Batman feels like it's taking forever. You feel like a tiny person outside in the "open world." That's a problem for me. The proportions are just odd outside, as Batman. The actual tankbattles aren't great either. They're very repetitive and it takes a long time for you get some variety (that's a mistake). Worst, the tankbattles replaced anything that could be considered a boss battle. Coming from the designers of Mr Freeze in AC, this is just really sad. The final "boss" is dumb as a bag of bricks design for Rocksteady.

The open world itself is awful to me. It's pretty, but it's needlessly huge, visually repetitive, and just flat out empty. Another bat-city with nothing to do in it. Another open world with "three islands" that are barely any different. When I know noticed that I just had to roll my eyes. You know what, maybe Batman could use a linear game or two. Gotham City isn't that interesting place, and setting an open world in a singular city is probably not that great.

I have another issue with "readability." The game is constantly throwing a wealth of visual effects and all sorts of colored lighting that for me it clouds a lot of the visual indicators you're supposed to get during a fight. At several times I couldn't tell who was a grunt, a medic, or who has guns. Shit just gets clouded for me a lot of times. Combat in general is more annoying than usual. Using the same button combination to pick up weapons, to break weapons and to do environmental finishers is just a mess. There's more shit to do, but I didn't really have as much fun here as I did in AC. Maybe simple is just better for this kind of combat. The controller layout they got going on is not really designed to keep adding shit on top of it. In my opinion they should've rehauled that entirely.

The story is really dark and gloomy, even by Batmang standards, but several of the "emotional" moments for me are total wet farts, mostly because Kevin Conroy is absolutely dreadful. As far as I'm concerned he's been terrible in every Arkham game, but this is just a special kind of awfulness. He doesn't work at all for the tone RS seemed to have wanted. He's an unemotional monotone robot, delivers his lines in the most friggin' boring and uninterested way possible. He definitely made the game worse than it could've been. He doesn't just not bring anything to the table, he actively shits up the game. In any case, there's only one character worth a damn in this game to be honest, and everyone knows who I'm talking about. Only thing I'll say is Rocksteady absolutely nailed that shit and in terms of storytelling and characterization it's definitely the best thing they have done in that regard.

I had my fun with the game, horrific performance issues and general annoyance about the PC situation aside, but I feel like the game's design documents in general could've used another pass. I give it three tomatoes and out two heads of lettuce.

This is a fun game at times, but it's a problematic game, and it often comes down to the tankmobile. It's not inherently awful, but the issue resides on the fact that everything is designed around it. When you're on foot the streets feel stupid-wide, everything is huge, running down a street as Batman feels like it's taking forever. You feel like a tiny person outside in the "open world." That's a problem for me. The proportions are just odd outside, as Batman. The actual tankbattles aren't great either. They're very repetitive and it takes a long time for you get some variety (that's a mistake). Worst, the tankbattles replaced anything that could be considered a boss battle. Coming from the designers of Mr Freeze in AC, this is just really sad. The final "boss" is dumb as a bag of bricks design for Rocksteady.

I read your whole post, but this stood out as strange to me. I found the sense of place to be far better in Knight than in any other Arkham game as far as proportions go. None of the games have environments that feel naturally designed, as they're all entirely built for gameplay purposes. Even still, the streets here are actually super narrow to the point I can't imagine there being any two-way traffic, so the wide-street thing doesn't match my experience. Still, traversal has never been more fun in the series if you want to deal with it, and if you don't, it takes little time to get from one place to another. The watchtowers/checkpoint designs benefit greatly from existing in the open world too as there's always a handful of options for how to approach them. That's where the gameplay shines, and shows the potential for more challenges/stories within the city. A truly seamless experience where the player could enter interiors from multiple points would be great. Having the choice of using the Batmobile, gliding, roofhopping and/or using the grapnel at any point outside lets the player make great use of the space. Still tons of room for improvement/refinement/reworking, but it's the best it's been so far.

Thought Conroy was way better here than in the past two games, if only because there's stuff that happens that actually warrants some kind of emotional response. There's seriously one line in Asylum where he sounds angry (about not letting Joker get away with the takeover when talking with Oracle) and one where he sounds sad/despondent (during the first Scarecrow thing), and everywhere else, he's completely flat. In City, his angry voice is dopey and not threatening at all. Knight is nowhere near Conroy's normal performance level, but it really seems the best in the Arkham series.

jett

D-Member
Oh another thing.

Why the hell did Rocksteady mute the music again for the post-end game? Just like Arkham City. Why...

I read your whole post, but this stood out as strange to me. I found the sense of place to be far better in Knight than in any other Arkham game as far as proportions go. None of the games have environments that feel naturally designed, as they're all entirely built for gameplay purposes. Even still, the streets here are actually super narrow to the point I can't imagine there being any two-way traffic, so the wide-street thing doesn't match my experience. Still, traversal has never been more fun in the series if you want to deal with it, and if you don't, it takes little time to get from one place to another. The watchtowers/checkpoint designs benefit greatly from existing in the open world too as there's always a handful of options for how to approach them. That's where the gameplay shines, and shows the potential for more challenges/stories within the city. A truly seamless experience where the player could enter interiors from multiple points would be great. Having the choice of using the Batmobile, gliding, roofhopping and/or using the grapnel at any point outside lets the player make great use of the space. Still tons of room for improvement/refinement/reworking, but it's the best it's been so far.

Thought Conroy was way better here than in the past two games, if only because there's stuff that happens that actually warrants some kind of emotional response. There's seriously one line in Asylum where he sounds angry (about not letting Joker get away with the takeover when talking with Oracle) and one where he sounds sad/despondent (during the first Scarecrow thing), and everywhere else, he's completely flat. In City, his angry voice is dopey and not threatening at all. Knight is nowhere near Conroy's normal performance level, but it really seems the best in the Arkham series.

Well I don't know what to say, I had the opposite reaction to what you said. :p

I thought the best Arkham Batman in terms of acting was the Origins guy, easily. Other than Conroy, the voice acting in Knight is really strong though. I just don't care for that guy much, I guess.

He's sucked in the Arkham series, definitely.It's just a shame this is the only exposure to him a lot of people will have considering he's done the best Batman voice before, and even around the same time as the games.

Joei

The open world itself is awful to me. It's pretty, but it's needlessly huge, visually repetitive, and just flat out empty. Another bat-city with nothing to do in it. Another open world with "three islands" that are barely any different. When I know noticed that I just had to roll my eyes. You know what, maybe Batman could use a linear game or two. Gotham City isn't that interesting place, and setting an open world in a singular city is probably not that great.

Most of your post I agree with and am not going to bother quoting the whole thing, but what I did quote was my biggest complaint with the game. I'm on NG+ and having already completed all the Riddler trophies, I'm just focusing on the main game (although I will 100% it with the side stuff) and my god, does this overworld just flat out suck. I felt this way on the NG playthrough, but now it seems more apparent. All the islands are samey and there are no interesting locals. At least with AC the overworld was interesting and parts of the city could be differentiated. It seemed they packed a lot of "Batman" into the smaller city. A complaint I had with AO was that they tripled the size of the AC, with half the stuff to do, and it seems like AK is similar in that regard, and now everything looks the same.

And I thought I was the only one who had trouble with the combat. I think you stated exactly what my issues were with the game. I am, however, having a little more fun with it on NG+ for some reason.

As for the Batmobile, I actually enjoyed the battles, but there were, to me, a few too many. I hated the Cobra tank ones though. And the Batmobile AR challenges flat out suck. I actually just stopped doing them, I think I've completed about half the challenges and with no interest to complete the rest. I think they totally dropped the ball with them. AA and AC challenges were actually entertaining.

Steam finally took the game back off of me, asked for a refund on GMG pretty much the week of release, almost thought they'd just let me keep it forever

Nightwing dlc is 10 minutes, wow.

Theyre all garbage. This deserves a worst dlc award or something cause its absolute trash and easily the worst ive ever encountered. I thought wed get more missions in this open world they created. Nope. Why even create an open world if i need to access these 10 minute missions from the main fucking menu. What stupid boneheads. First time in a long time like i feel like i threw 35$ down the toilet.

jett

D-Member
So I have to complete every single goddamn side mission and collectible in this game to unlock an ending video.

Nah bruh, eat shit Rocksteady, that's what youtube is for.

edit: 10 minute DLC LOL.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I have to complete every single goddamn side mission and collectible in this game to unlock an ending video.

Nah bruh, eat shit Rocksteady, that's what youtube is for.

edit: 10 minute DLC LOL.
To make matters worse there is a bug with that, where if you complete all sidequests except for Riddler's before
you face Scarecrow
, you get no ending at all unless you clear it.

Which sucks, I don't want to collect 200+ trophies.

Risgroo

Is the fight against
Deathstroke
any good? I'm not enjoying clearing mines, towers and road blocks, but I'll do it if it ends in a cool fight.

ExReey

I'm about to start the final mission of the main campaign (
surrender to Scarecrow
), but I've finished only half of the side missions; can I finish the main story line first and then concentrate on the side missions, or will I miss the best ending doing it this way? Is there a way to see both the 'regular' and the 'good' ending in the same playthrough? Don't wanna miss anything :)

Great game btw!

painey

wow, fuck these riddler trophies. I remember how awesome they were in AA, and now not only are there damn near 300 of the fuckers, you have to unlock their locations seemingly 5 at a time, and they are all boring as hell. can't wait to beat this and sell it.

wow, fuck these riddler trophies. I remember how awesome they were in AA, and now not only are there damn near 300 of the fuckers, you have to unlock their locations seemingly 5 at a time, and they are all boring as hell. can't wait to beat this and sell it.

They sucked in AA, and were actually good in AC. They're okay in AK (and there's fewer than in AC), but they're so far out of the way in relation to the main story missions that players are likely to miss them all their first time through, leaving a long slog of trophy hunting at the end.

Joei

Is the fight against
Deathstroke
any good? I'm not enjoying clearing mines, towers and road blocks, but I'll do it if it ends in a cool fight.

The boss encounters in this game are atrocious. The absolute worse out of the 4 games by a substantial margin. It's almost like they didn't even try.

TheKeyPit

Banned
The boss encounters in this game are atrocious. The absolute worse out of the 4 games by a substantial margin. It's almost like they didn't even try.

Tackling Firefly was a joke. I expected a boss fight in a burning building at the end. I was disappointed as hell.

kodecraft

I don't think they did try...to put real boss fights in the game. The best boss fights in the Arkham series was in Origins (Deathstroke and both Bane fights).

But imo, Knight is the best Arkham game overall.

Joei

I don't think they did try...to put real boss fights in the game. The best boss fights in the Arkham series was in Origins (Deathstroke and both Bane fights).

But imo, Knight is the best Arkham game overall.

Reflecting back, you're absolute right, wow, I don't think there even was a boss "fight" in the entire game. Not in the manner of the first three games. The tank encounters were supposed to be the challenge I think.

I definitely think there was some good in the game, hell, I 200%'d it, but as a total package, I have to give the nod to AA and AC as being a better overall games.

kodecraft

Reflecting back, you're absolute right, wow, I don't think there even was a boss "fight" in the entire game. Not in the manner of the first three games. The tank encounters were supposed to be the challenge I think.

I definitely think there was some good in the game, hell, I 200%'d it, but as a total package, I have to give the nod to AA and AC as being a better overall games.

There was kinda a boss fight like the Deathstroke fight from in Origins that was was in Knight. This was Rocksteady's version of that kinda fight.

It was against the
boxer in Pinassa Studios. You double teamed him

Joei

There was kinda a boss fight like the Deathstroke fight from in Origins that was was in Knight. This was Rocksteady's version of that kinda fight.

It was against the
boxer in Pinassa Studios. You double teamed him

I didn't think of that one. Also,
The Riddler
, I don't know how I forgot that one either. But I'm struggling to think of more, main quest or side quest, which is sad.

Drayco21

I didn't think of that one. Also,
The Riddler
, I don't know how I forgot that one either. But I'm struggling to think of more, main quest or side quest, which is sad.

Near the main game's end, there's a not very good stealth based boss battle with
Jason Todd.

At the end of the serial killer sidequest, you fight
Professor Pyg
, but like Firefly and the others, it's so fast and closer to a normal encounter that I don't know if it really "counts" as a boss battle.

Black Mask has a fight at the end of the Red Hood DLC, Nightwing at the end of the Harley. I think everything else is a tank battle- Arkham Knight's bosses were a huge letdown for sure, though. Even if Mr. Freeze was really the only stand-out fantastic boss from the other games, the encounters were at least really memorable character moments, and made them feel unique and cool.

I still can't believe they wasted fucking
Deathstroke of all people
on a tank battle. What was Rocksteady thinking?

kodecraft

I still can't believe they wasted fucking
Deathstroke of all people
on a tank battle. What was Rocksteady thinking?

Yea, that encounter seemed rush.

Also, I will say the leaked 4chan Arkham Knight story was miles better than what we actually got. I wonder if it was real or at least close enough that Rocksteady had to change it....and change it unfortunately to the more mediocre story we received.

Arkham Knight still best Arkham though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, that encounter seemed rush.

Also, I will say the leaked 4chan Arkham Knight story was miles better than what we actually got. I wonder if it was real or at least close enough that Rocksteady had to change it....and change it unfortunately to the more mediocre story we received.

Arkham Knight still best Arkham though.

You think they'd change it based on a 4chan leak? lol no. That's not how development works.

Top Bottom