• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

heringer

It only gets worse further on. Just wait until you reach a certain point, where it forces the Batmobile on you several times consecutively.

A few hours later, still loving it. Sure, there's a lot of tank combat, but honestly I think it's more fun than the hand to hand combat, which was always boring to me.

Best Batman yet. Origins was so boring, but I'm loving this one.

Jesb

They actually patched the game today,on PS4 anyway,with little Halloween stuff all over,like pumpkins etc etc...kinda cool.

The game actually takes place around Halloween. There's a few references I heard in the story about Halloween.

A few hours later, still loving it. Sure, there's a lot of tank combat, but honestly I think it's more fun than the hand to hand combat, which was always boring to me.

Best Batman yet. Origins was so boring, but I'm loving this one.

Combat used to be my favorite aspect of the series, but predator has always been the strongest. I agree that the Batmobile, and all its types of gameplay, managed to be more interesting that the hand-to-hand here. Reliance on combos needs to be moved away from in future Batman titles, and I actually wish there was more ways to use the Batmobile during combat and predator gameplay.

Anyone who owns this game should try playing it tonight if they find the time. Cute little Halloween-easter egg.

yeah, "cute"

Joei

So I loaded the game up today to check out the
Man-Bat
Halloween sequence and I wonder, was that it? I saw him the GCPD, flew around, triggered it, then went back to GDCP. Is that all there is? I did notice, as another said, the city seemed to be more Halloween decorated, which begs the question, "Why wasn't the city like that before??"

Anyone else come across any other special stuff for Halloween?

Joei

Well here's something interesting. I went to
Man-Bat's cell
today, November 1st, currently almost 11 AM eastern time, and he's still not there, so it wasn't solely for Halloween. Halloween must have just been the trigger date. I'm going to go back and fly around the city some more and see if I hear anything interesting from the GCPD copter or the thugs around the city.

heringer

What do I absolutely need to complete to get the real ending? Only the Ridler's trophies (about 2 hundred or so)? What about the other side quests?

What do I absolutely need to complete to get the real ending? Only the Ridler's trophies (about 2 hundred or so)? What about the other side quests?

All Most Wanted Missions completed, more or less. Riddler's Most Wanted Mission requires all of his trophies to be found though, so yeah, you pretty much have to 100% the game.

dankir

When do you think the season pass will go on sale again? I've 1000/1000'd the main game and I want to free up space.

Definitely not spending 40 bucks on it, so will wait until it goes down to 15 - 20 bucks.

roytheone

So, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong when fighting enemies with shields? The promt says to stun them with B and then do an aerial attack with AA, but 90% of the time the shield guy will just block my cape stun.

kodecraft

So, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong when fighting enemies with shields? The promt says to stun them with B and then do an aerial attack with AA, but 90% of the time the shield guy will just block my cape stun.

They can't block the cape. You hit them with the cape and double tap A.

Is this your first Arkham?

I've seen people here say they've had problem with this move. It might be a glitch.

IIRC, hitting shield guys with the stun doesn't actually stun them though (no stars above their head), but it allows the aerial attack to be performed on them once they're pushed back.

vg260

I've seen people here say they've had problem with this move. It might be a glitch.

IIRC, hitting shield guys with the stun doesn't actually stun them though (no stars above their head), but it allows the aerial attack to be performed on them once they're pushed back.

That move seemed really finicky to me.

roytheone

No, I actually completed asylum, city and even Origins 100 % (story mode, I don't care about the challenge rooms), but thank you for this condescending remark that doesn't really help me at all.

That move seemed really finicky to me.

Yeah, I press B, they seem to back off a bit, but when I press AA batman just rolls past them 9 out of 10 times. I do seem to have a bit more success if the shield guys are farther away from Bats when I press B. If they are very close, it almost never works, but if they are farther away it seems to work more often.

No, I actually completed asylum, city and even Origins 100 % (story mode, I don't care about the challenge rooms), but thank you for this condescending remark that doesn't really help me at all.

He probably asked because the same move exists in City and Origins. If you've done it there, then it works (or is supposed to work) the same way here.

kodecraft

No, I actually completed asylum, city and even Origins 100 % (story mode, I don't care about the challenge rooms), but thank you for this condescending remark that doesn't really help me at all

Hey man didn't mean to be condescending. But, you have to hit them with the cape and immediately follow up with the double tap.

vg260

Yeah, I press B, they seem to back off a bit, but when I press AA batman just rolls past them 9 out of 10 times. I do seem to have a bit more success if the shield guys are farther away from Bats when I press B. If they are very close, it almost never works, but if they are farther away it seems to work more often.

I never had issues with it in all the others, but in this one, it seemed to not come out as expected quite often. I thought maybe it was just me, but apparently not.

roytheone

I never had issues with it in all the others, but in this one, it seemed to not come out as expected quite often. I thought maybe it was just me, but apparently not.

Yeah, I don't remember having any issues with it in those games, but here it doesn't seem to work a lot more often.

Hey man didn't mean to be condescending. But, you have to hit them with the cape and immediately follow up with the double tap.

Well, it did came over a bit condescending, but if you didn't meant it that way it's fine.
And yeah, that is what I am doing, and still 9/10 times bats just rolls past the enemy instead of doing the Arial attack. It is super frustrating.

CHC

What in the FUCKING hell were they thinking with the Cloudburst and Excavator fights? Did anyone at the studio even play them? The most insanely frustrating and tedious garbage, they have no place here. The game has sooooo much cool stuff in it and both of these fights ignore all of it in lieu of some shitty forced vehicle stealth segments. Absolute garbage.

Ugh sorry, it's just.... too much bullshit for me.

What in the FUCKING hell were they thinking with the Cloudburst and Excavator fights? Did anyone at the studio even play them? The most insanely frustrating and tedious garbage, they have no place here. The game has sooooo much cool stuff in it and both of these fights ignore all of it in lieu of some shitty forced vehicle stealth segments. Absolute garbage.

Excavator fight took me longer than it should have since I didn't think to lure it with shots, so I sat waiting until I figured I could shoot.

Other than that, seemed pretty cool to be chased by something for once. Found it less tedious than Killer Croc's Asylum segment, especially if you didn't crouch-walk. Tank stealth was honestly more engaging than the tank fights for me since it actually took some planning ahead compared to most fights (tank or hand-to-hand).

Were you using first-person camera while driving? What did you find hard about those segments? I never used first-person my first time through and while I didn't die on those segments the first time, I still found first-person to trivialize anything driving related.

witness

They ruined the fucking game for me, one of the most frustrating experiences I can remember. As someone who enjoyed the Batmobile enough to that point, it really made me bitter that it was added and stole opportunities for some legit combat boss fights. It was a pretty shitty way to end the series.

CHC

Excavator fight took me longer than it should have since I didn't think to lure it with shots, so I sat waiting until I figured I could shoot.

Other than that, seemed pretty cool to be chased by something for once. Found it less tedious than Killer Croc's Asylum segment, especially if you didn't crouch-walk. Tank stealth was honestly more engaging than the tank fights for me since it actually took some planning ahead compared to most fights (tank or hand-to-hand).

Were you using first-person camera while driving? What did you find hard about those segments? I never used first-person my first time through and while I didn't die on those segments the first time, I still found first-person to trivialize anything driving related.

Yeah I mean I eventually beat it, it wasn't that hard, it's just frustrating and obtuse - those sections REALLY don't play to the game's strengths. On the whole the Batmobile is fun, but not when you're just using it to do clumsy stealth segments.

The other thing that really annoys me occasionally is just the controls and the fact that there seem to be very arbitrary rules for when certain moves do and don't work. For example, the Fear takedown. Sometimes I can do it from way above a group of enemies and it works flawlessly, other times I sneak up inches away from them and it still won't let me do it even if it the icon is lit up. It's like there is some unknown rule which determines it, but that is completely unpredictable. Same thing with gadgets in combat - sometimes they work great and go for exactly the enemy you wanted, other times Batman just turns around and starts throwing them at the wall while everyone just shoots him to death.

Don't get me wrong though, the game is still fantastic, it's just sometimes obvious that it's not being the best it can be.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

I didn't particularly enjoy them (the Excavator one was more for show than challenge though), but I must say I did like that in the first part of the Cloudburst fight one can use the Cobras' ridiculous lock, range and damage against them.

kodecraft

I enjoyed the Cloudburst and Excavator fights. I think what some don't like about it and what makes it frustrating is that if you don't have a good handle of the Batmobile by the time you get to these fights then its hell to pay.

Cloudburst is on your ass when it detects you. I enjoyed being chased, hitting the gas pedal, drifting around tight curves, transforming into battle mode to access tight alleys only to go back to pursuit mode and hit the boost...disappearing from the Cloudburst's clutch.

Also, I didn't use the first person view for the Excavator, but I have read some players found it was an easier fight if they used it.

Furthermore, the Excavator fight is easy if you park by the flashing hazard lights in the tunnel, these are tunnels that have those explosives at the end of them...park, look around for the Excavator, shoot at it to gets its attention, then run to the end of the tunnel....its a really quick encounter.

Drayco21

Even with me in the camp that hated the over-use of the Batmobile, I actually really liked all the Batmobile stealth stuff (moreso than the Drone comabt waves, race missions, or Batmobile puzzles), especially the Cloudburst fight. It might be my favorite moment from this game, actually.

Alpende

Even with me in the camp that hated the over-use of the Batmobile, I actually really liked all the Batmobile stealth stuff (moreso than the Drone comabt waves, race missions, or Batmobile puzzles), especially the Cloudburst fight. It might be my favorite moment from this game, actually.

I didn't mind the Cloudburst fight either. Most people on here seemed to hate it.

Jintor

what fucking IDIOT decided to put a full melee fight with shields and batons and then light the entire thing up with disco red strobes? Like your fucking visual design wasn't unreadable enough? Holy shit.

kodecraft

what fucking IDIOT decided to put a full melee fight with shields and batons and then light the entire thing up with disco red strobes? Like your fucking visual design wasn't unreadable enough? Holy shit.

So you've never played an Arkham game on HARD where the counter signs are disabled?

Just take the enemies that can't be countered in the first place out

So just bought the game this morning... got 3-4 hours in. How long is this game? Mind you I'm one to want too 100% it. I just got to the 2nd island but the batmobile can't cross yet.

Jintor

So you've never played an Arkham game on HARD where the counter signs are disabled?

Just take the enemies that can't be countered in the first place out

The problem isn't that I can't read counters, the problem is THE ENTIRE ROOM IS STROBING RED AND BLACK. ugh. I guess you can just jump in the batmobile maybe? Anyway I did it, but it was a huge pain in the ass. Maybe I could've turned on batvision.

played through all of arkham city w/o counters first time through. Actually, can I disable that without going to NG+?

/edit funny thing to say in context of the story, but post-game
I kinda miss ol mistah J showing up everywhere. No such thing as too much Joker!

Sober

So, is the plan still to end DLC rollout by December? (6 months post-launch support as they stated)?

Cause the season pass is 40 dollars.

The total available DLC is around 35 dollars a la carte. I sure didn't save that much money.

So, is the plan still to end DLC rollout by December? (6 months post-launch support as they stated)?

The total available DLC is around 35 dollars a la carte. I sure didn't save that much money.

I vaguely recall there being talk of some miniscule DLC next year, like individual challenge maps and stuff.

roytheone

So I am doing the riddler stuff right now, and I am stuck at one in Panessa Studios. I need to kill 5 robots in 5 second of time. Now, I looked it up, and apparently you need to use your fear take down. The issue is that I have never upgrade it, so it can only target 3 people, and i don't have enough upgrade points to get them. I have completed every other side quest in the game, so no more fast upgrade points to get. Am I boned?

Sober

So I am doing the riddler stuff right now, and I am stuck at one in Panessa Studios. I need to kill 5 robots in 5 second of time. Now, I looked it up, and apparently you need to use your fear take down. The issue is that I have never upgrade it, so it can only target 3 people, and i don't have enough upgrade points to get them. I have completed every other side quest in the game, so no more fast upgrade points to get. Am I boned?
Your upgrades and stuff carry over into NG+ so you can finish it there. You can't get enough XP to get all the upgrades in a single new game playthrough though.

roytheone

Your upgrades and stuff carry over into NG+ so you can finish it there. You can't get enough XP to get all the upgrades in a single new game playthrough though.

Doesn't that mean I have to replay the story until I can reach it? No thanks. Hopefully there is a trainer or something like cheat engine available to give me some more upgrade points. I find it kinda dumb to require you to have a specific optional upgrade for a trophy.

Drayco21

Have you also done the AR missions? I thought you got upgrades for them too- so if you haven't done that yet, you might be able to quickly rack up what you need from some predator and freeflow challenges.

If you have, you can start a new game plus and not worry about your progress on the riddles. Just grind some sidequests and stuff, get what you need, then go back to your main save (or play up to the point in NG+) and do it then.

Doesn't that mean I have to replay the story until I can reach it? No thanks. Hopefully there is a trainer or something like cheat engine available to give me some more upgrade points. I find it kinda dumb to require you to have a specific optional upgrade for a trophy.
You can gain more XP in NG+ then use it in NG.

Tsukumo

I suspect Season of Infamy is going to be 20 dollars.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm at what I think is the endgame
just got rid of the cloudburst
and I'm trying to wrap up all the sidequests before finishing the main game, but it feels like I'm still missing some upgrades I need to do so.

For instance there's one watchtower where after you clear the guards out there are 2 non-killable turret guns both pointed on the control thing you need to blow up. But you can only deactivate one at a time so it's impossible at the moment. Do I need to play further in the story to get an upgrade where I can deactivate two things at once? Or is it on the upgrade tree somewhere? Or am I missing something?

I don't have the electric power accessory so there's a bunch of riddler stuff I can't do because I need that. Same with the freeze bombs. Don't have those either. Feels weird because story-wise it really feels like I'm at the end of the game so are these accessories hidden or something?

GeoGonzo

and I'm trying to wrap up all the sidequests before finishing the main game, but it feels like I'm still missing some upgrades I need to do so.

For instance there's one watchtower where after you clear the guards out there are 2 non-killable turret guns both pointed on the control thing you need to blow up. But you can only deactivate one at a time so it's impossible at the moment. Do I need to play further in the story to get an upgrade where I can deactivate two things at once? Or is it on the upgrade tree somewhere? Or am I missing something?

I don't have the electric power accessory so there's a bunch of riddler stuff I can't do because I need that. Same with the freeze bombs. Don't have those either. Feels weird because story-wise it really feels like I'm at the end of the game so are these accessories hidden or something?
I honestly can't remember if there's an upgrade to disable two turrets at once but... I don't think so? Have you followed the wires of the turrets to check if they're BOTH linked to the same terminal? And even then, maybe you can disable one and destroy the terminal while the other turret looks away. If not, the answer is proooobably the batmobile in one way or another.

And yes, you did skip two gadgets (no story spoilers, just locations):
Freeze grenades are found inside the movie studio, near the cells on the left side. The REC gun can be picked up at the villains gallery inside Gotham PD. Just punch the glass and take your stuff.

Sober

REC you can sequence break but you hit a part in the story where if you don't have it you get sent to get it and come back.

Freeze grenades are optional storywise, I ended up not even realizing they were in the game until I finished the main quest.

You need to be behind one turret in cover. Disable the turret furthest away (the one pointed in your direction) and then take out the one you're behind. Then take out the one you've disabled. I don't remember there being any non-killable turrets in the game.

Scirrocco

So this may have been asked before but I couldn't find it.

After the horrible mess that was the PC re-release, what do you think the odds are they'll eventually release the GOTY edition on PC? Do you think they'll even bother if the problems really aren't fixable?

I was going to wait for the GOTY edition, and hopefully have a ps4 by then, but thats probably not going to happen. I downloaded the regular edition off steam though, and played with it long enough to see if i could run it before getting a refund. It only really runs well on the very lowest settings, but to me that certainly seems good enough.

But after all that happened with the PC release, i'm no longer sure if there will be a GOTY release on PC, so I might as well grab it during black friday or christmas if i can find a good deal.

jimboton

Is there any way to get rid of the 'special' look of the city after dealing with
the cloudburst
? Kinda ugly and it gets in the way of exploration. I mean without starting NG+.

Top Bottom