• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Begins batsuit revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Pretty much the entire suit is flexible! I think that's what people are missing here. It's made of material similar to the Spidey suit from early reports, but I can't verify if that's true or not. Goyer did say that the suit allows him to move his neck and body around, and as you can see by the pictures, that's completely true. His knees bend. His stomach is flexible. That is a goddamn blessing.

Thank you, Nolan! Thank you!

Also, I agree with someone's earlier post that his belt actually seems to be built to hold useful things now.

With such a flexible Batsuit Nolan has no excuses not to have a scene of Bats crouched on the ledge of a skyscraper with his cape blowing about (looking through a pair of binoculars would complete the scene).

Willco

Hollywood Square
PartlyCloudlike said:
With such a flexible Batsuit Nolan has no excuses not to have a scene of Bats crouched on the ledge of a skyscraper with his cape blowing about (looking through a pair of binoculars would complete the scene).

YOU MEAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS?

batimage1.jpg

jett

D-Member
Even though that picture is extremely unflattering to the batsuit, I already like it better than previous suits. Frankly I can't fucking stand modelled abdominals(Burton's batsuit was also a victim of this). This suit actually looks like a piece of armor, AND it has a motherfucking huge cape(unlike the scarfs in the previous movies). Besides, it looks fucking great within the movie.

nomoment

It looks alright.

Could've done without the engraved abs and muscles bullshit all the other latex/rubber suits had, though.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
It looks alright.

Could've done without the engraved abs and muscles bullshit all the other latex/rubber suits had, though.

I think from an asthetic point of view, I agree with you. It's okay, nothing special. It's supposed to be armor, so it kind of looks like armor.

But who cares what his suit looks like if the cowl is made of two inches of rubber, he can't move his neck and barely muster enough strength to make a decent punch. That's not Batman.

But from a functionality standpoint, I love it. It's flexible and it has a functional utility belt. Again, THANK YOU, NOLAN!

Isn't part of the mythology(insert better word) of the batman suit that it helps like amplify his muscles? That would be a justifiable answer for having the suit shaped around the muscles.

Willco

Hollywood Square
muncheese said:
Isn't part of the mythology(insert better word) of the batman suit that it helps like amplify his muscles? That would be a justifiable answer for having the suit shaped around the muscles.

The truth is, the Bat suit in the comics makes little sense, but it looks cool. Putting a costume like that on the big screen, though, would be ridiculous. It just looks stupid.

The comic suit lends itself better to animation.

Grimlock

Well, I think the new suit isn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the ones from the previous 2 flicks. Actually, I think it ranks up there with the Batman Returns suit. Considering its flexibility and Bale's action sequences in Equilibrium, I think the fight scenes are going to be a lot more dynamic.

Willco said:
The truth is, the Bat suit in the comics makes little sense, but it looks cool. Putting a costume like that on the big screen, though, would be ridiculous. It just looks stupid.

The comic suit lends itself better to animation.

Super-Hero suits rarely look anything but stupid in real life. Spider-Man is one of the only one's that can pull it off imo.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The Promised One said:
Super-Hero suits rarely look anything but stupid in real life. Spider-Man is one of the only one's that can pull it off imo.

And even that has alterations to the original straight spandex design, but that came off pretty damn good.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The Promised One said:

28in-8.jpg

:D

Muncheese: Never mentioned in any comic what his costume was made of. I'm assuming it's some sort of fabric because of it's propensity to ripping.

Bloop.

Am I correct in that this Batman movie will have a more urban feel to it? Personally I liked Burton's gothic dreamland atmosphere for the first two Batmans, but I have faith that Nolan will bring something decent to the series.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't think anyone should take that photo as what it will "look like" in the movie; Nolan is a master at visuals (especially lighting) and I have a feeling they chose the best design for his directorial needs, not necessarily what would be most aesthetically pleasing (although I also like it that way) in a fully lighted environment.

FightyF

Banned
The fat head is a-ok with me. It looks like they wanted to make his jaw look more square and wide, it makes him look more menacing.

And I agree with Calder...if you want to make fantasy more believable...before putting on a thick suit, he should take off those dorky little ears, they serve no purpose. What's that you say? It takes the fun out of the superhero? Well, that's what I think when they start making everything so "real".

But I think this movie's costume is a good mix of superhero-fantasy and realism.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Fight for Freeform said:
The fat head is a-ok with me. It looks like they wanted to make his jaw look more square and wide, it makes him look more menacing.

And I agree with Calder...if you want to make fantasy more believable...before putting on a thick suit, he should take off those dorky little ears, they serve no purpose. What's that you say? It takes the fun out of the superhero? Well, that's what I think when they start making everything so "real".

But I think this movie's costume is a good mix of superhero-fantasy and realism.

Actually, they do serve a real purpose and they even make a point of it in the script.

GLoK

Willco said:
Hey, since Matlock didn't post this, I will. It's a Photoshop his buddy did:

revisedbat.jpg

that is ALL kinds of awesome.

I can admit at first sight, I was not all that impressed with this costume, but it grew on me really quickly, and I'm into the hype.

Can't wait for this movie.

FightyF

Banned
Actually, they do serve a real purpose and they even make a point of it in the script.

Whoa! Thanks for sharing. I didn't see that coming!

I was at first going to refer to the little fins sticking out of his forearm, and then I thought "nahh, he'd probably actually use those". Funny that it's his ears that turned out to be used.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Fight for Freeform said:
Whoa! Thanks for sharing. I didn't see that coming!

You're welcome!

I was at first going to refer to the little fins sticking out of his forearm, and then I thought "nahh, he'd probably actually use those". Funny that it's his ears that turned out to be used.

Both are used, sort of.

DCX

DCX
I never like the logo for the first Batman, on his chest...what was that about, i never seen that design before that movie.

DCX

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can dig it. There isn't a single thing I'm not really amped about with this movie.

El Papa

It looks like wetsuit material. Not sure I like the abdomen section, but it's way better than the Clooney suit.

It's looking ok. I think the ears of the suit look too short and theres not enough of his jawline/face showing. Looks a bit odd.

Shinobi

Newbie said:
I don't get the love for the Burton batsuit, it just doesn't seem like anything special to me

1989Batmanmovie.jpg

The love for the Burton movies in general is just nolstagic claptrap. They probably think Vicky Vale's role was great too.

Wonder if people forgot that the mask in Batman Returns was complete rubber. Hell, Keaton had to literally tear the damn thing apart to remove it towards the end of Returns, which just looked goofy as hell. I don't recall that suit being all that flexible either. And what was the point of wearing black if you're gonna have some neon yellow batsign and belt? But hey, whatever. The suit looks just fine to me...again I'm all about form following function, a total reversal of the Burton movies which completely failed in the function department (Batmobile aside).

El Papa

Here's something I threw together in photoshop to get a feel of the new suit in a night environment. Federman's pic gave me the idea.

bat_church.jpg

:D

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The Photoshop looks quite good. The actual suit has a certain awkwardness to it that starts at the head and never really stops.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
batman.jpg

Artic-Action Batman! Now with completely immobile neck and throbbing bat-crotch articulation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom