• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman or Spider-Man?

Batman or Spider-Man

• Total voters
Saw this poll on the other forum and got inspired. Two of the greatest heroes of all time (sorry superman), easily the two most popular heroes today. A rivalry amongst companies played out through these characters encapsulating what each stands for. They've been in movies, video games, tv shows, and of course comics. Their rouges galleries are usually seen as the #1 in all of comics.

Batman, dark and relatively grounded in the superhero space. Tragic, Gothic. Embodies rage but also justice and heroism.

Spider-Man, lighthearted and fun. Seen as "so relatable". Will crack jokes but also has his own drama that permeates through his stories.

So NeoGAF, who's your favorite?
151737-games-feature-batman-games-in-order-how-to-play-the-arkham-series-and-more-image1-m8vygjidfb.jpg

Or
spider-man-credit-insomniac@2000x1270.jpg

I'll throw my own two cents in. Batman by a country mile. Like its not even close. And I grew up primarily with spider-man as a kid. Then teenage years on to adulthood batman has taken the crown big time.

To me, Spider-man is basically just batman without the gravitas or the badassery. And the best batman media, games, tv, movies, and comics, wipe the floor with spider-mans media. His best movie, Spider-Man 2 is... I mean its okay. His other stuff ranges from passable to "I'm actively not enjoying watching this". His 90s show is a joke compared to the legendary animated series. And spectacular is respectable but I don't like it better than The Batman shows. And I wouldn't put the PS4 game ahead of any of the Arkham games. It tried to ape the style but no cigar for Insomniac there.

Then theres the surface level stuff I didn't even get to like how his villains are all interesting and iconic and not just animal themed mean men. Gotham City, the bat mobile, the bat plane, the bat cave, Robin, Alfred, Gordon, Catwoman, Joker. The greatest villain of all time. You could stop a guy on the street and they'd likely know at least 2 or 3 of those names. So yeah Batman takes it for me personally. Excited to see what the rest of the board thinks.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I've mostly been a Spider-Man guy although Marvel seems intent on making that as difficult as possible. Outside of comics I haven't been a huge fan of most adaptations of the character aside from the first ASM film and the live-action show from the 70s. Batman fares much better in terms of films, cartoons, and games.

Comic Spider-Man > Comic Batman

Everything else Batman > Everything else Spider-Man

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why are we using the ugly video game interactions for pictures? Space Marine Batman vs Knockoff Nike Spiderman.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Batman has more room for reinterpretation. Spider-man is mostly the same all the time. Every iteration after Tobey was dull repetition.

Not a fan of superhero comics...so batman..as long as the world is standalone. The second superman shows up in the world it loses all its weight.

Batman is prob the closest we have to a modern robin hood type mythos. You have the basic story cues but everyone has their own interpretation in which the world looks and feels and and the way the character and antagonists are driven along with plot elements.

My perfect batman is perpetually in his late twenties/early thirties , less vocal and more a silent detective that can break you arms. I like the Whimsical dark Gotham of Burtons batman mixed with the out of date art deco /gothic esthetic. You never kill the joker though.

Spiderman is just spiderman..if you change anything its no longer spiderman.

Last edited:

Trueshit

Banned
I really enjoyed the Spider-Man movies as a kid with that kid-looking actor, but as I grew up, I started to appreciate the Batman films, limited to the Dark Knight trilogy. I never really cared for the comics (maybe some eps here and there) or the older movies.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Spiderman for he is an actual metahuman superhero

Batman just a rich guy in a bat suit

10 out of 10 Spiderman will beat Batman in a fair fight

Last edited:
Spiderman for he is an actual metahuman superhero

Batman just a rich guy in a bat suit

10 out of 10 Spiderman will beat Batman in a fair fight
Bruce Wayne will figure out spidermans identity using facial recognition software built into his mask that can see past cloth masks.....then hell just buy up the entire block spiderman lives on forcing him and aunt may to move to New Jersey.

Batman, no contest. Spiderman is 2nd place but it's a big ass gap between them two. Also whoever says Batman is just a billionaire in a suit don't know shit or apparently any rich guy can be Batman because all it takes is money. Get outta here with that shit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Batman hands down. Better character, better movies, better villains.

Spiderman also recycles the same Peter Parker high school movie every 5 years.

Spiderman powers don't even make sense. There was a website/forum I read long time ago and some guy compared Spiderman's powers to the the insect and none of them were even true. From what I remember:

- Spiders don't swing on webs
- Spiders aren't strong
- Spiders don't shoot webs through their wrists
- Spiders don't have any kind of spidey sense
- Spiders aren't particularly fast or super agile doing crazy jumps, flips or swinging
- Spiders do most of their activities at night

Batman hands down. Better character, better movies, better villains.

Spiderman also recycles the same Peter Parker high school movie every 5 years.

Spiderman powers don't even make sense. There was a website/forum I read long time ago and some guy compared Spiderman's powers to the the insect and none of them were even true. From what I remember:

- Spiders don't swing on webs
- Spiders aren't strong
- Spiders don't shoot webs through their wrists
- Spiders don't have any kind of spidey sense
- Spiders aren't particularly fast or super agile doing crazy jumps, flips or swinging
- Spiders do most of their activities at night
Dude I'm so glad you brought that up haha. That has always bothered me. Like even as a kid kinda. And I've always felt crazy because nobody else ever brings it up. His powers make no sense for a "Spider" man.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Bruce Wayne will figure out spidermans identity using facial recognition software built into his mask that can see past cloth masks.....then hell just buy up the entire block spiderman lives on forcing him and aunt may to move to New Jersey.
Youre forgetting Spiderman is real genious

Batman IQ is 190 Peter Parker is +250

Peter Parker inteligence is ranked higher than Bruce Banner ( the guy with 6 phd)

Spiderman figures out to create the equation for an antidote ingredients for Lizardman Dr Curtis Connor lizard serum in just a few weeks while it took him years to make that enhancement under Oscorp funding and research facility

Hel figure out batman identity faster without all those expensive gadget

And pure fighting aside Spiderman will win

That train scene in spiderman 2 will kill batman if he attempt to do the same moves

Not to mention spiderman reflex which is 3-4 faster than human reflex

images

Strength, Speed, Durability, all goes to Spiderman

Batman advantages is his gadget but if we counts Edith AI he obtain from Far From Home then Spiderman wins cos he can calls massive army of drones and he can calls for orbital strike to attack batman
images

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dude I'm so glad you brought that up haha. That has always bothered me. Like even as a kid kinda. And I've always felt crazy because nobody else ever brings it up. His powers make no sense for a "Spider" man.
Not just that. He's based on an insect, so there's at least some familiarity he could relate to.

What does a bright red and blue spandex uniform have to do with a spider? And it's covered in web graphics. Spiders don't wear webbing on their face and body.

Not just that. He's based on an insect, so there's at least some familiarity he could relate to.

What does a bright red and blue spandex uniform have to do with a spider? And it's covered in web graphics. Spiders don't wear webbing on their face and body.
YES! Are we the same person? This is the other thing thats bothered me. Bats are black primarily. And some have grayish fur. Batman is usually always black and gray. Or all black. (blue in some comics due to printing or how an artist shows light reflection). But bright ass red and blue? What spiders are bright ass red and blue? Like his suit doesn't even add up. Good point too with the webbing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
YES! Are we the same person? This is the other thing thats bothered me. Bats are black primarily. And some have grayish fur. Batman is usually always black and gray. Or all black. (blue in some comics due to printing or how an artist shows light reflection). But bright ass red and blue? What spiders are bright ass red and blue? Like his suit doesn't even add up. Good point too with the webbing.
Even Spiderman's attacks don't make sense.

Spiders are usually dark furred, do most things at night and hide in shadows. When they attack, they surprise opponents from darkness or from being hidden.

Spiderman sees Doc Oc or Scorpion and makes a beeline for him swinging on webs and trying to fight them with punches and kicks.

Spiders don't shoot webs from 30 ft away either. Spider webs don't even eject from it's abdomen like a fire house. Spiders push it out and they have to use it's legs to yank it out and wrap prey.

I don't think there is one thing Spiderman has in common with spiders except they both have sticky webs and can crawl verticals (some spiders can).

Spiders don't have giant white eyes either and they don't do that goofy Spiderman pose where Peter Parker crouches with his feet together like he's a ballerina.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Why is my boy Spidey losing? This is unacceptable.
As great as Batman is there is nothing there in regards to his personal life to make him an interesting character. That's what makes Spidey so great, he's like you and I with a world of problems.

Even Spiderman's attacks don't make sense.

Spiders are usually dark furred, do most things at night and hide in shadows. When they attack, they surprise opponents from darkness or from being hidden.

Spiderman sees Doc Oc or Scorpion and makes a beeline for him swinging on webs and trying to fight them with punches and kicks.

Spiders don't shoot webs from 30 ft away either. Spider webs don't even eject from it's abdomen like a fire house. Spiders push it out and they have to use it's legs to yank it out and wrap prey.

I don't think there is one thing Spiderman has in common with spiders except they both have sticky webs and can crawl verticals (some spiders can).

Spiders don't have giant white eyes either.
To me, its as simple as, Bob Kane and Bill Finger just created a more compelling character than Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

Going back to your first post with movies I'd like to throw in the for all DC's faults, their quality control nowadays is much better than Marvel for their A-listers. They would never let a filmmaker shit out a Far From Home, Homecoming, or Amazing Spider man 2 with Batman. The new movie they gave Matt Reeves like 2 years for the script alone and are actually investing in a competent filmmaker who cares about characters and story. And have given him much more creative control than a puppet like Jon Watts gets while he "directs" pre visualized scenes that were written and framed years prior.

As great as Batman is there is nothing there in regards to his personal life to make him an interesting character. That's what makes Spidey so great, he's like you and I with a world of problems.
First of all, phew majorly wrong on that first bit I think. You might wanna consume more batman media than you currently have. And second, some people prefer to see a champion who embodies the best of humanity in their stories. Sometimes someone who is just like you or relatable doesn't automatically make a better story or character. Poseidon or Zeus weren't like any of the Greeks mind you.

sol_bad

First of all, phew majorly wrong on that first bit I think. You might wanna consume more batman media than you currently have. And second, some people prefer to see a champion who embodies the best of humanity in their stories. Sometimes someone who is just like you or relatable doesn't automatically make a better story or character. Poseidon or Zeus weren't like any of the Greeks mind you.

In all fairness I have only read New 52 Scott Snyder Batman.
^___^

If the DC digital app was available in Australia you can bet I'd start reading through all the Batman stuff I could. As for physical collections, Batman is so messed up in regards to omnibu and OHC's, my preferred method of collecting physically.

Rockondevil

I like Spiderman but Batman is on a whole different level for me.
The character is amazing and he has the greatest villains too which also help to elevate him further above the rest.

Shaqazooloo

I'm gonna say Batman even though I mostly only saw Spider-Man when I was growing up.

Honestly Batman is a lot cooler, his movies and shows are generally better and The Joker is probably one of my favorite villains ever.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Batman, he is the single most boring "favourite superhero" answer but IDGAF, he's the best.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Other than the fact he’s a complex study in grief, rage, obsession, mental health problems, the nature of justice, and personal achievement. He’s a far more complex, nuanced and psychologically deep character than Pete ever has been.

Batman is better. Of course he is.

He’s the greatest comic character of all time, and one of the best fictional characters ever invented.

Spidey is still cool, though.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Batman.

Better developed, more interesting character.
Better World - Gotham is just a great concept, whereas NY for Spiderman is comparatively dull and unimaginative
Better rogues gallery
Better movies
Better animated Series

Mato

In terms of pure entertainment value I prefer Batman, all that dark vibe is more pleasent to me. But if I could choose to be one of those two, I'd choose Spider-Man, simply because he has genuine superpowers. You could argue that big money is a form of superpower. But I'm sure Spider-Man could find ways to monetize his powers. Being him, you would be entirely unique. The most singular person in the whole of humanity. Even when naked with nothing on, you would still be superior. Money can't buy that in the real world, not yet anyway.

Top Bottom