• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman or Spider-Man?

Batman or Spider-Man

• Total voters

Dazrael

Bats don’t drive cars.
Bats aren’t detectives, much less the world’s greatest.
Bats don’t partner with Robin’s to fight crime.

As you can see comparing what the actual animal does to what someone who employs them as an avatar does doesn’t really work.

To me Spidey is hands down the greatest, and it’s down to the way he is written. Batman doesn’t really have a lot of room for personal development, he is always going to be a haunted soul who is out for vengeance. Spidey on the other hand has experienced grief and has run the gauntlet of his feelings. He’s had lighthearted stories, dark stories and become a beacon for people to rally under. Basing his stomping grounds as NYC cements his territory as much as Robocop does with Detroit or Rocky with Philadelphia, it gives him a real world connection that resonates with people. Much like NYC and the Ghostbusters. They are local heroes.

It’s hard to relate to a billionaire who lives in a fictional city but Spiderman goes through the same problems that we all do in a place real people live. He is also a character we can aspire to be. With Batman I just wish I had his money.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
To me Spidey is hands down the greatest, and it’s down to the way he is written. Batman doesn’t really have a lot of room for personal development, he is always going to be a haunted soul who is out for vengeance. Spidey on the other hand has experienced grief and has run the gauntlet of his feelings. He’s had lighthearted stories, dark stories and become a beacon for people to rally under. Basing his stomping grounds as NYC cements his territory as much as Robocop does with Detroit or Rocky with Philadelphia, it gives him a real world connection that resonates with people. Much like NYC and the Ghostbusters. They are local heroes.

It’s hard to relate to a billionaire who lives in a fictional city but Spiderman goes through the same problems that we all do in a place real people live. He is also a character we can aspire to be. With Batman I just wish I had his money.

I always chuckle when people say characters like Spidey - bitten by a radioactive spider, able to climb walls, super human strength - is more relatable than Batman - rich, intelligent, driven, normal human being 😊

Batman’s quite literally more relatable than 90% of other superheroes because they’re all super powered - which is complete fantasy.

At least with Batman you can identify with his standard humanity and character motivations, if not his riches.

Batman would still be Batman if he was poor. Spider-Man would not be Spider-man without the fantasy superpowers.

Last edited:

Dazrael

It’s not all about having superpowers, who is to say that Peter wouldn’t have decided to do something anyway after Uncle Ben died.

Spidey’s journey seems more relatable compared to Batman’s descent into obsession. He’s a borderline psychopath.

Bats don’t drive cars.
Bats aren’t detectives, much less the world’s greatest.
Bats don’t partner with Robin’s to fight crime.

As you can see comparing what the actual animal does to what someone who employs them as an avatar does doesn’t really work.

Okay well, in fairness we were talking about his powers FROM an actual SPIDER. Not his ACTIONS. Thats like saying "Bruce had a cup of coffee in the morning, bats don't drink coffee!" ya know? But okay okay I kinda see your point. It's just one is a guy who just took on the name and theme, and the other has DNA infused with a radio active arachnid but has zero arachnid traits just about.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Well it isn’t fair to say that Spidey has zero arachnid traits. He can stick to walls, spiders can sense their surroundings through vibrations hence his “spider sense” as being the nearest comparison. If he fully took on the form of a spider he’d be hideous, not the look that you’d want for a fun superhero.

Larlight

If they randomly met, never knowing of one another, yeahhh Spiderman would beat him. People forget Spiderman holds his punches back. Just getting one solid punch that’s even a tiny bit more powerful than usual would knock the Batman’s ass out. Also, Spiderman has inhuman reflexes and spider senses. Batman might not even touch him at his human speed.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Batman is cool. Spiderman is a dork who got bit by a spider. Anybody can get bit by a spider. Who's the last multimillionaire who thought it was a good use of his time and resources to fight crime singlehandedly? Exactly. it's Batman's actions that make him exceptional.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
dc comics batman GIF

Dark Star

Well, Batman is an actual MAN, and Spider-Man is portrayed as a nerdy little high school kid, so yeah, Batman is way more interesting. The gothic personality, the dark and gritty atmosphere and origin story of Gotham, the high tech gadgets, techno-thriller plots, Joker, etc. Batman Beyond is also cool AF.

Batman: The Animated Series? Awesome
Batman Arkham video games? Awesome
The Dark Knight Trilogy? Awesome

My favorite Spider-Man thing is the Sam Raimi movies, which I LOVED as a kid, but that's about it. Tom Holland sucks. MCU sucks. The video games aren't too shabby either, and I would say Spider-Man is my favorite "superhero" because he actually has "super powers". So who is a better "hero"? Spider-Man. Who is a more realistic and badass vigilante character? Batman.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Spider-Man by a lot. Batman is a talking brick. His superpower is.. inheriting wealth? like Ironman if Ironman was a grunting caveman. Just fitting where he decided to put hide his lab. Spider-Man can swing and shoot projectiles and has the staple super strength and agility. Plus he's a fuckin acrobat so artists can draw him in some epic dynamic poses.

Batman and for me it's not even close. Spider-Man is second, though.

I know this will sound funny because Batman is a "super" hero at the end of the day, but: to me, Batman feels more... "grounded." In most incarnations that I've seen, he's the only regular human in a sea of others with actual superpowers.

Besides the whole "being super rich" thing (which in the end is just an excuse for him to have all his gadgetry), Batman embodies a lot of the concepts that I believe in: Working hard, in both mind and body. Dude constantly has to outsmart his opponents; obviously over the years his fighter/action persona took over, but he actually started off with an emphasis as a detective (I mean... DC stands for "Detective Comics") .

I also like the Bruce Wayne/Batman duality, where Batman is the real person and Bruce Wayne is the mask he uses to hide from society (in my opinion, anyway). There's a lot of interesting psychology behind that.

It's not a diss against Spider-Man, who himself is pretty awesome, and he's my favorite Marvel character.

desertdroog

Both were my favorite growing up, but Batman is going to be the tops if I have to choose.

Spider-Man at his prime is overpowered in comparison, imho as he has super powers, but Batman's aesthetic is unbeatable.

Jon Neu

Banned
- Spiders don't swing on webs

Yes they do. Spiderman just takes it on another level because you know, he isn't a spider, but a spider-man.

- Spiders aren't strong

Spiders can lift an average of 8 times their own weight. Some can even lift 160 times their own weight.

Let's say Peter Parker weights 70 kgs. At the very minimum, he would be capable of lifting 560 kgs and potentially up to 11.200 kgs (Spiderman with the symbiote can lift the fireman truck in the animated series).

- Spiders don't shoot webs through their wrists

But again, Spiderman is not a spider and most of the time he does so with tech.

- Spiders aren't particularly fast or super agile doing crazy jumps, flips or swinging

Spiders are incredibly fast and agile relatively to their size. If they were human sized, they would be running between 80 and 225 kms per hour (at the very minimum, they would be twice as fast as Usain Bolt).

So stop disrespecting my man spidey with your bullshit.

Top Bottom