• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

No wonder they're having server problems.

EA/DICE, I love your game, but for the love of god, FIX THIS SHIT!

This game is so good when it works.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Meus Renaissance said:
So why am I only seeing 7 pages of servers EA with 90% of them full as it is?
It doesn't show you every server on earth, but just the ones it thought would be open when it started searching.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nirolak said:
Yes, and digital sales.

Shipped to retailers + sold anywhere and in any form.

I'm sure they can count how many copies they printed and shipped in trucks. :p
I missed the part about digital sales. But how can they count those as shipped?

Spat_triate

vanderbeek-double-take.gif

Gawdamn

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If this has shipped 10 mill first week, MW3 is going to ship 20. Crazy how popular this genre is now.

-SD-

Banned
http://ir.ea.com/common/download/do...fc0c30&filename=Q2 FY12_Prepared_Comments.pdf

EA said:
I’ll finish with Battlefield 3. As you know, we launched this title earlier this week and the results have been tremendous, thanks to the superb quality of the title produced by our DICE studio in Stockholm and the world class marketing executed by our teams globally. Our marketing made adept use of YouTube where 13 million people have viewed our trailers, and on Facebook, where we have 2.1 million fans. Battlefield 3 PR was everywhere and on launch day, in North America alone, more than 8,400 stores opened early to sell the game. We couldn’t be happier with the launch of Battlefield 3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SapientWolf said:
Shipped is short for "shipped plus already sold" in terms of what publishers mean.

It can be a bit confusing.

Meier

SapientWolf said:
"Shipped" = sold from a publisher's viewpoint. In the case of a digital copy, 1 sold = 1 shipped via digital means. Digital copies are of course the most accurate method of tracking sales since there's no channel stuffing.

Meier said:
Shipped = sold to the publisher. In the case of a digital copy, 1 sold = 1 shipped via digital means. Digital copies are of course the most accurate method of tracking sales since there's no channel stuffing.

Isn't it sold to the retailer? EA aren't shipping them to themselves I'm sure :p

SapientWolf said:
That's pretty good, especially considering that PC digital sales aren't even counted in the total.

Damn I came in to post that I was one of those 10 million, but I guess not. I am loving the game so far and I have only played the campaign.

fernoca

Nirolak said:
Yes, and digital sales.

Shipped to retailers + sold anywhere and in any form.
Oh!
Well, 10 million is still an impressive number...just less impressive than I originally thought. :p

fernoca said:
Oh!
Well, 10 million is still an impressive number...just less impressive than I originally thought. :p

o_O What were you expecting? 10 million is crazy good. If all of those shipped copies sell, that's about $600 Million.

Meier

Metalmurphy said:
Isn't it sold to the retailer? EA aren't shipping them to themselves I'm sure :p
I mean that to the publisher, the term "shipped" means copies sold. I edited it to avoid confusion.

Twinduct

Nice! Selling like hotcakes :p
You know what's going to be fucking odd? MW3 getting the same amount of numbers. So we can expect companies to push the COD agenda even more aggressively now?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Dutch Slayer said:
wow that is impressive that had 3 mil pre-orders days before the release so I guess a lot of people also went out and just got copies.
Yeah, the sales to pre-orders ratio is usually huge.

I saw this coming a long time ago. BF is a big name, not COD huge but that doesn't matter. Here's why. They're hitting the fps hungry before COD this time (and not after) with a known IP. They called it BF3, worthy of the name or not. The marketing was ridiculous. Multiplat. Boom. Big seller.

It hits all the notes for a huge seller and none of them have anything to do with whats on the disc other than maybe the game looks nice so the commercials looked nice, but they coulda bs-ed the commercials and the results would have been the same. Whoever thought this wasn't gonna be a top 10 for the month was kidding themselves.

Danielsan

Sure, I buy it. A ton of casual gamers I know bought the game, so clearly the marketing department did their job right.

i kept saying EA was smart to launch BF3 before Call of Duty, played a bit of the single player, not as shitty as some people say

that fucking online code :( i can't play online.

good for dice, holy shit at those numbers :D

Top Bottom